Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 131
Like Tree41Likes
wanting Robert325s help with sub taper
  1. #1
    toddio14 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default wanting Robert325s help with sub taper

    Hello, i have been on sub for about 6 years. Now trying to taper off, I'm am at 2mg a day now, my question is should i follow your taper schedule of four days for each dose reduction or should i go slower since I've been on for so long? Any advice would be appreciated!

  2. #2
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toddio14 View Post
    Hello, i have been on sub for about 6 years. Now trying to taper off, I'm am at 2mg a day now, my question is should i follow your taper schedule of four days for each dose reduction or should i go slower since I've been on for so long? Any advice would be appreciated!


    Have to do it based on your symptoms after using that long. Four days may do it, you may need to wait up to a week between reductions. You need to be stable before reducing by 25% or the symptoms will get worse as you reduce each time. Take your time. After six years a few extra days at this point don't really matter. Take your time. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

  3. #3
    toddio14 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Have to do it based on your symptoms after using that long. Four days may do it, you may need to wait up to a week between reductions. You need to be stable before reducing by 25% or the symptoms will get worse as you reduce each time. Take your time. After six years a few extra days at this point don't really matter. Take your time. God bless.
    Ok, thanks. I'm at about 2mg now (i say about 2 because they are generic subutex and it's hard to break it and be accurate) and have been there for four days. Monday I'm going to try to go to 1.5mg, I'm going to try the liquid taper method so i can be more precise. Thanks for your response i appreciate your help, can't wait to be off the subs!

  4. #4
    toni.s. is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    571

    Default

    hey toddio,
    congratulations on ur decision, and taking ur first step!
    keep posting..we'd love to hear about ur progress.

  5. #5
    ClassiqueMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toddio14 View Post
    Ok, thanks. I'm at about 2mg now (i say about 2 because they are generic subutex and it's hard to break it and be accurate) and have been there for four days. Monday I'm going to try to go to 1.5mg, I'm going to try the liquid taper method so i can be more precise. Thanks for your response i appreciate your help, can't wait to be off the subs!
    hi toddio14!
    do you have the directions, or the 'how to' for the liquid taper?
    i've got it bookmarked if you need it, let me know..

    allll my best for a successful and symptom free taper!
    Classique MoM

  6. #6
    toddio14 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClassiqueMom View Post
    hi toddio14!
    do you have the directions, or the 'how to' for the liquid taper?
    i've got it bookmarked if you need it, let me know..

    allll my best for a successful and symptom free taper!
    Classique MoM
    If you could provide me with the link for the how to liquid taper method >> appreciate it, ive read different things about how low to go before jumping, ect.
    I am starting 1.5mg today using the liquid taper method, been at about 2mg or a little more for a week or so now. Hoping i can be off in a month or less, we will see! Thanks!

  7. #7
    Crystalclear651 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Hey there, just wanted to stop n say hi real quick. What dosage did u start off with before tapering may I ask? Also it's true about staying "stable" on ur dose before goin down...I was freaking out cuz I took 8 days at 4 mg before going down today but it makes sense to b stable first...but sounds like youve got the mind set n willing to do it so keep up the great job!! Hope ur day is goin well, xoxo

    Quote Originally Posted by toddio14 View Post
    If you could provide me with the link for the how to liquid taper method >> appreciate it, ive read different things about how low to go before jumping, ect.
    I am starting 1.5mg today using the liquid taper method, been at about 2mg or a little more for a week or so now. Hoping i can be off in a month or less, we will see! Thanks!

  8. #8
    toddio14 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crystalclear651 View Post
    Hey there, just wanted to stop n say hi real quick. What dosage did u start off with before tapering may I ask? Also it's true about staying "stable" on ur dose before goin down...I was freaking out cuz I took 8 days at 4 mg before going down today but it makes sense to b stable first...but sounds like youve got the mind set n willing to do it so keep up the great job!! Hope ur day is goin well, xoxo
    \

    Ive been on suboxone a long time, like 6 years. I started at 16mg a day then 12 for a couple years and just over the last 6 months have gotten myself down to 4mg where i was a couple months then went to 3mg and then 2mg. I have been at 2mg a week or so and today started 1.5mg. Im going to try to reduce every 4 or 5 days from here if possible, so im hoping to be off totally in a month or less. Thanks for the support and good luck to you in your taper as well!
    Crystalclear651 likes this.

  9. #9
    Strong Desire is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toddio14 View Post
    \

    Ive been on suboxone a long time, like 6 years. I started at 16mg a day then 12 for a couple years and just over the last 6 months have gotten myself down to 4mg where i was a couple months then went to 3mg and then 2mg. I have been at 2mg a week or so and today started 1.5mg. Im going to try to reduce every 4 or 5 days from here if possible, so im hoping to be off totally in a month or less. Thanks for the support and good luck to you in your taper as well!

    Hi Toddio,

    Been reading your thread today and you're really doing great! Nice to see you taper with few problems! You have been on these subs for quite some time. So glad you made the decision to reduce your dose. Would have been here much sooner, but truth is I just missed your thread! But I'm here now!

    I just began myself last week and I reduce tomorrow morning to a 1mg dose. Looking forward to it too! So we are real close in our dose amounts. We can support each other as we do this if you like. Several of us here that you have probably read about going down in dose that are near the same dose amounts. Mostly us gals, but we're trying to get a few fellas in here with us! So please feel free to join us as we all taper our dose.

    You keep going and know that we're with you! Please post as much as your time allows you to do. I need to learn as much as I can right now about this deal. Take care and we'll chat again soon. Blessings.

    Big Hugs,
    Karen

  10. #10
    Crystalclear651 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Great job tapering yourself down! Def stick to every 4 days as his plan states. You are doing so good after being on it for 6 years. Just wanted to give u some words of encouragement n also let u know to not beat yourself up if at anytime u feel like 4 days isnt enough, but sounds like ur rockin n rollin down to 2 n then down to 1.5! Ur story is inspiring to us too big hugs,
    Crystal

    Quote Originally Posted by toddio14 View Post
    \

    Ive been on suboxone a long time, like 6 years. I started at 16mg a day then 12 for a couple years and just over the last 6 months have gotten myself down to 4mg where i was a couple months then went to 3mg and then 2mg. I have been at 2mg a week or so and today started 1.5mg. Im going to try to reduce every 4 or 5 days from here if possible, so im hoping to be off totally in a month or less. Thanks for the support and good luck to you in your taper as well!

  11. #11
    rxqueen83 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Hey toddio14
    Congrats on your decision to decide to taper/quit. I've been on "the box" for about 2 years now, so I'm with ya buddy! Just started tapering again and doing well this time. Following Roberts plan and actively posting on my thread with others. We've formed sort of a "ladies group" if you will, but we'll certainly have you! I guess I should not assume your male, but your name reminds me of Tod, so if you will, bear with me! LOL.

    I just wanted to comment quickly that I've found 5 days is my best for tapering now that I'm below 1 MG. Obviously I listen to my body and my symptoms and if I don't need the five days, I won't take it. I just wanted to comment on that. Also, I'm curious? You said "liquid taper"? Do you have liquid Sub?

    Again, congrats! Please post with us! It really, really, really helps with the symptoms, tapering...everything. Please feel free to join my thread "Looking for Taper Buddy, Any Takers"? Strong Desire was my first buddy! She's super, duper cool!

    Peace
    rxqueen
    Crystalclear651 likes this.

  12. #12
    toddio14 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default

    thanks everyone for the support. Sorry i dont post that much, busy with work and all, plus i have two kids that are 5 and 2. I have great support from my wife and now this forum so i know i will succeed. Yes i am male and my name is todd, good guess rxqueen! It sounds like you are doing well. As for me i just started 1.5mg yesterday, started felling a few symptoms today when i woke up but it got much better after i took my morning dose of .75mg. I take that when i wake up and again at about 5 or 6. Now just tired and a little edgy, but not too bad. I really hope this works and i can be free soon! My plan is to reduce to 1mg starting friday if all goes well. I know that is a little more than a 25% reduction but im gonna try it and if i feel too bad ill up it a little. Wish me luck, and good luck to all of you!

  13. #13
    ClassiqueMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toddio14 View Post
    If you could provide me with the link for the how to liquid taper method >> appreciate it, ive read different things about how low to go before jumping, ect.
    I am starting 1.5mg today using the liquid taper method, been at about 2mg or a little more for a week or so now. Hoping i can be off in a month or less, we will see! Thanks!
    i have this bookmarked.. you can read the whole thread but the 'how-to' part in particular is POST #104, about 1/2 way down the page .. hope it's what you're looking for! & helps!

    allll my best!
    Classique MoM

    http://www.drugs.com/forum/need-talk...tml#post308760 <--click
    Last edited by ClassiqueMom; 06-19-2012 at 03:43 PM.

  14. #14
    toddio14 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default

    oh and the question about the liquid taper, i have 8mg generic subutex pills and it is impossible to accurately break one into .25mg or .5mg pieces so i read on the internet about the liquid taper method. I take one 8mg pill and dissolve it in 16ml of water (distilled water i use but u dont have to). This means there is .5mg of buprenorphine per 1ml of water. I keep the water solution in a pill bottle in the fridge and shake it well before dosing. i use a oral syringe like comes in childrens tylenol to measure my doses. Right now im takink .75mg twice a day so i take 1.5ml morning and afternoon. Just squirt the liquid under your tounge and hold it there 5 to 10 min just like sublingually taking a pill. Works well and you can be very accurate, can taper all the way down to .1mg or less. Google "suboxone liquid taper method" and you will the info on it. Working well for me so far, is started this method yesterday when i went to 1.5mg.

  15. #15
    rxqueen83 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Hey Todd,
    Again welcome! Thanks for answering my question! I'd never heard of that, interesting! Maybe I'll try it when I get down real low. Robert's suggestion was to crush and place the small piles of powder under my tongue. I'm okay with cutting the pills, but when I crushed one last month it made me get kind of "weird". It reminded me of "doing lines" and I felt kind of weirded out by it. Not to be a baby. I probably need to just suck it up and not be foolish!

    Good for you man, I'm glad your feeling okay. It's normal to have some symptoms, we're here for you! Definately!

  16. #16
    toddio14 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default

    I recommend it, it is much easier to be precise in your dose and seems to work just as well as dissolving the pill itself under your tounge. I planned on going to .2mg before jumping but i read the link a few posts above and that guy went to .1mg and had no symptoms at all at the end so i may do that.

  17. #17
    toddio14 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default

    doing pretty well today, woke up feeling ok (not great but not bad). Took my .75mg morning dose, i think ill only take .5mg for afternoon for a total of 1.25mg then tomorrow start 1mg and see how that works. Cant wait to get to the finish line! If my plan works and i can continue to taper as planned ill take my last dose of .1mg on july 8th.
    Hope everyone is doing well!

  18. #18
    toddio14 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default

    had a little trouble sleeping last night, nothing to bad just had that creepy crawly feeling a little bit and made it hard to get comfortable. Got up and took my.5mg dose (starting 1 mg daily today) and feeling some better. Just a little achy bit ilk live. Hope everyone is doing ok.

  19. #19
    Strong Desire is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toddio14 View Post
    had a little trouble sleeping last night, nothing to bad just had that creepy crawly feeling a little bit and made it hard to get comfortable. Got up and took my.5mg dose (starting 1 mg daily today) and feeling some better. Just a little achy bit ilk live. Hope everyone is doing ok.
    Hi Todd,

    Congratulations for getting your dose down. That's awesome! You are doing so well with the program! Sorry you had a bit of symptoms last night. Hopefully it will improve for you soon. Keep doing what you're doing and you will be clean real soon. Take care and have a great day!

    Hugs,
    Karen

  20. #20
    toddio14 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default

    [QUOTE=Strong Desire;368052]Hi Todd,

    Congratulations for getting your dose down. That's awesome! You are doing so well with the program! Sorry you had a bit of symptoms last night. Hopefully it will improve for you soon. Keep doing what you're doing and you will be clean real soon. Take care and have a great day!



    Hugs,
    Karen[/QUOT

    I am still a little achy but not too bad. Waiting till 6 to take my afternoon dose so hope that helps. How are you doing? What dose are you at and are you having any wds? Thanks for the support and take care!

  21. #21
    toddio14 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Robert,

    I dont know if you are subscribed to this thread or not but if you see this i have a quick question. I know your taper states to stay on a dose for four days each time you reduce. I intended to do just that but on the third day i felt ok so went ahead and reduced the next day, so i only stayed on that dose for three days. I just started 1mg today and if i feel ok saturday i plan on reducing to .75mg sunday. Is this ok or will it make it harder in the end? Im kind of suprised that i feel pretty decent on third day considering that ive been on subs so long. Cant wait to get done with the taper and cross the street to being truly clean for the first time in 9 or 10 years! Any advice would be appreciated, at this point i plan on continuing to reduce after three days unless i run into problems. And do you think that since ive been on subs so long it will be more difficult to jump when the time comes? I plan on going all the way down to .1mg before jumping so i wouldnt think >> have to have to many problems jumping from such a low dose.
    thank you for all your help!!

  22. #22
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toddio14 View Post
    Robert,

    I dont know if you are subscribed to this thread or not but if you see this i have a quick question. I know your taper states to stay on a dose for four days each time you reduce. I intended to do just that but on the third day i felt ok so went ahead and reduced the next day, so i only stayed on that dose for three days. I just started 1mg today and if i feel ok saturday i plan on reducing to .75mg sunday. Is this ok or will it make it harder in the end? Im kind of suprised that i feel pretty decent on third day considering that ive been on subs so long. Cant wait to get done with the taper and cross the street to being truly clean for the first time in 9 or 10 years! Any advice would be appreciated, at this point i plan on continuing to reduce after three days unless i run into problems. And do you think that since ive been on subs so long it will be more difficult to jump when the time comes? I plan on going all the way down to .1mg before jumping so i wouldnt think >> have to have to many problems jumping from such a low dose.
    thank you for all your help!!



    Hi Todd ...... Subs have a half life of up to 72 hours or longer for most people. Some of us metabolize drugs more quickly than others due to an assortment of variables. I've seen a few people that could reduce every three days, but most that do it only get away with it a couple times before the half life catches up with them and they suffer w/d. That is why the four day intervals work best for most people. Some people even need an extra day or two at times.

    I'm not saying you can't be aggressive and reduce your dose in three days. I am saying that if you are like most that it will catch up with you. The good thing about subs however is that if that happens we can use a small sliver, like .25mg if we do get sick and it will make us fine in a matter of minutes.

    My advice is to be careful, especially at the very low doses where the 25% reductions every three days get even more difficult to repeat. You're dealing with very small amounts of this medication at this point. If you're game go for it. Just let me know if you get into trouble and I'll help you. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

  23. #23
    Strong Desire is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Hey Todd,

    I am at 1mg total daily dose right now, but reducing by 25% tomorrow morning to .75mg and taking that once per day. And I am having ZERO withdrawals. I have had no problems with this at all. It has went very smooth to this point. I am of course always thinking ahead and preparing myself in case I do run into a hiccup or two. But I am taking the approach that this is going to be done right the first time and I WILL be clean shortly. Take care Todd and post if you need help with anything.

    Big Hugs,
    Karen
    Last edited by Strong Desire; 06-21-2012 at 07:31 PM.

  24. #24
    toddio14 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Hi Todd ...... Subs have a half life of up to 72 hours or longer for most people. Some of us metabolize drugs more quickly than others due to an assortment of variables. I've seen a few people that could reduce every three days, but most that do it only get away with it a couple times before the half life catches up with them and they suffer w/d. That is why the four day intervals work best for most people. Some people even need an extra day or two at times.

    I'm not saying you can't be aggressive and reduce your dose in three days. I am saying that if you are like most that it will catch up with you. The good thing about subs however is that if that happens we can use a small sliver, like .25mg if we do get sick and it will make us fine in a matter of minutes.

    My advice is to be careful, especially at the very low doses where the 25% reductions every three days get even more difficult to repeat. You're dealing with very small amounts of this medication at this point. If you're game go for it. Just let me know if you get into trouble and I'll help you. God bless.
    Robert,
    Thanks for the quick reply, you are a great person for all the good that you do! I really appreciate it! Ill keep reducing every three days if i feel up to it, and let you know if i have any problems.
    Cant wait to get to the finish line and see what its like to live free of opiates, i honestly dont remember what its like its been so long! Especially excited about getting my emotions back, seems that subs put a damper on them and just keep you at the same level all of the time and take away the lows and the highs. Anyways, thanks again! Ill be in touch.

  25. #25
    toddio14 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Hi Robert,
    How are you doing? Hope you are having a great friday.
    Well, you were right about it catching up with me, woke up today at 6am(dont get home from work and to bed till about 2:30am) with that creep crawly felling really bad, aching and hot cold flashes. couldnt get back to sleep. Took a crumb, about .25mg and felt better and got back to sleep in about an hour. Took my morning dose of .5mg, should i only take .25mg this afternoon instead of .5 to stay at 1mg for the day? This is my second day at 1mg. When I planned out my taper i planned on taking my last dose of .1mg on july 8th. I know this is pretty agressive but do you think i can still make that deadline? I dont mind having some mild symptoms if it will speed the process along, just as long as they arent too bad to where i cant make it to work and do my job and can help my wife out with kids and such and not be unbearable to be around. The reason i want to be done by this deadline is because my anniversary is july 7th and i want to take my wife somewhere for the weekend the weekend after our anniversary, and it would be so nice to be off the subs then!! If this is not possible, dont be afraid to tell me im wasting your time and i need to stop being stupid and stick to the plan. Anyways thanks again hope all is well!
    Robert_325 likes this.

  26. #26
    toddio14 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default

    robert,

    so do you think i can pull this off( finishing my taper by july 8 without being too awfully sick)? I usually dose at 6pm so if i havent heard back by then ill take .25 for a total of 1mg for today. Hopefully i can get through the night and not have to take any more. Let me know what you think, if you advise against it ill just accept that its gonna take longer.
    Thanks much!
    Todd

  27. #27
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toddio14 View Post
    robert,

    so do you think i can pull this off( finishing my taper by july 8 without being too awfully sick)? I usually dose at 6pm so if i havent heard back by then ill take .25 for a total of 1mg for today. Hopefully i can get through the night and not have to take any more. Let me know what you think, if you advise against it ill just accept that its gonna take longer.
    Thanks much!
    Todd


    Todd ...... Let's do the math! When you go through the day-skipping process there are ten days involved until the day you take your final dose. Today is June 22nd. That means you have to drop from 1mg down to the dose you start skipping from in six days to allow ten days for the skipping days. And there isn't much room to play with during that ten day period. I think you may be pushing it a little. I wouldn't want to live with that timeframe if I had a choice. Hope that helps. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

  28. #28
    toddio14 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default

    robert,

    Ok, thanks for your quick reply again. ill just continue to taper depending on how im feeling. Have a great weekend!
    Todd

  29. #29
    toddio14 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Does anyone know if using the liquid taper ( dissolving sub in water and taking under tounge) is less affective than crushing it and taking under tounge? I have been doing the liquid taper cause it is easier to measure small amounts, but had been having allot of minor wds. Today for my second dose i crushed it and measured and took under my tounge and seen to feel better. Is it absorbed better if it's not dissolved in water or something or is it just in my head?
    Thanks and hope everyone is doing good!

  30. #30
    toddio14 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Robert,
    I am planning on trying to reduce to .75mg tomorrow. Should i split it into two doses or take it all at once?
    Thanks hope u are having a good weekend!
    Todd

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22