trying to get off percocet and vicodin (robert 325 help?)
    socal25 is offline New Member

Default trying to get off percocet and vicodin (robert 325 help?)

Well first off this is my first post here, Ive read the forums a few times throughout the last few weeks and decided it was time for me to register and get some help.

so long story short im 19 and recently had a back surgery. prior to the surgery i had been taking norco for roughly 4 months. at first i was taking 5 ish a day because the pain was really bad prior to surgery. as i started to build tolerance i started to take more until i finally got 10mg percocet from the dr. he gave me 180 to get me through the two weeks before my surgery. and then gave me another 180 a month later. So from right before the surgery until roughly a week ago (2 months give or take) ive been taking roughly 8-10 percocet and 3-5 10mg hydros. obviously much more than prescribed to me but with all that at my disposal it was too easy not to...im sure many of you have been there...

So in the past week ive managed to taper (due to the percocet being nearly gone and doubtful im getting a refill, thankfully i think) to 2-3 of the 10mg percs a day and 2 of the vicodin a day. Right now it is 9 AM PST on monday and the last dose I had was roughly 36 hours ago at 8pm on saturday. I have my medical marijuana card in california and was able to get some high quality hash oil that somewhat relieves the symptoms of the withdrawals but also can make me very anxious and feel like ???? when the withdrawals are bad (if its a sativa oil as opposed to an indica which is more of a mellow effect). This past night i was unable to sleep at all, i took 2mg of xanax at first and when that didnt help at all i took another 1 mg with no luck still. just tossing and turning and the worst headache you could imagine. i am just trying to figure out if i tapered much too quickly and if going cold turkey at the amount i was taking would be a bad option.

its amazing how fast these things go from being your best friend to your worst nightmare..and even more amazing how rapidly the body builds a tolerance. I never imagined that i would be this physically addicted to this stuff after 5-6 months max of taking them. and taking the 10-15 a day for 1-2 months max. I just need some advice i guess, my parents know that im going through withdrawals because of the painkillers from the surgery but they dont know the amount i was taking daily. My parents are there for me and said if i wasnt able to do it myself that they would get me help but i know that i can do this. after having a coke habit in 10th grade of high school that cost $4000 in three months and getting over that on my own without any help from anyone or anyone even knowing about it i feel like this should be a piece of cake but coke just isnt physically addicting like this stuff is. Sorry for the terribly long rant im on zero sleep and am barely able to function right now, any advice anyone can giive, i know robert 325 has a lot of experience with tapering, saw mostly with subs though. any help anyone can give would be really helpful to me..as im debating taking a 10mg norco and a 10mg perc right now to make this headache go away and so i can get some sleep but i dont know what to do...HELP please!

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

First off try and use the norco only. It's much easier to detox off of hydrocodone than oxycodone. Your best chance right now is to tell everyone you have the flu and just tough it out. Quitting now is more important than anything else so don't let anything get in your way. If you MUST take something than what you need to do is take the most minimal amount possible and make that last as long as possible. You will have withdrawals no matter what kind of taper you do, the trick is to get your body used to taking less and less and for longer amounts of time.

theres the problem im having. i literally have like 6 norco left and maybe 6 percocet...not sure if ill be getting a refill on the norco but assuming im not, and given that ive been taking 100-120mg of oxycodone a day im just worried about damage done to my body from tapering to 20mg a day of oxycodone and 20mg a day of hydro for like 3 to 5 days and then attempting to stop cold turkey, is there anything that can happen aside from the normal withdrawals ive been getting. ie: cant sleep cant eat, crazy headache, aches and pains everywhere etc. or should i be okay? also i was wondering if its okay to take a stimulant such as adderall while going through these withdrawals. I work two jobs and cant call in sick to both, and without any sleep im going to need something to keep me awake...as unhealthy as it sounds i need to do it, and i am prescribed adderall btw....thanks for the fast response

caughtagain is offline Diamond Member

SOCAL, You are going to be ok..... Other than feeling like dirt for a week or so, you will make it. FOr the next week, I agree with YAZ, just tell people you have the flu and expect to feel like you have the flu. With the amount you have left, In my opinion don't try to obcess about tapering them because you do not have enough to effectively taper. I would just toss them and get through the next week. Once that is done, you will start to feel better. As far as Energy..... In my opinion I would use the supplements in the Thomas recipe. They will help with that. I went through Cold Turkey from Oxy to Hydro to Cold turkey and used nothing but the things in the Thomas Recipe minus the benzo's and I made it. So, if I can do it, so can you. The message I have for you is two fold, whatever you do, don't use and secondly, just treat the symptoms. I also worked about 60 hours a week while I was detoxing. It $ucked, but I just convinced myself there was no other option. The other thing I did was post as much as I could. You mind messes with you, so just post if you can. We will all support you and be here for you.... All my best. .... Reid

caughtagain is offline Diamond Member

The Thomas Recipe:
    For the Recipe, You'll need:

1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

How to use the recipe:

Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

casual is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by socal25 View Post
    theres the problem im having. i literally have like 6 norco left and maybe 6 percocet...not sure if ill be getting a refill on the norco but assuming im not, and given that ive been taking 100-120mg of oxycodone a day im just worried about damage done to my body from tapering to 20mg a day of oxycodone and 20mg a day of hydro for like 3 to 5 days and then attempting to stop cold turkey, is there anything that can happen aside from the normal withdrawals ive been getting. ie: cant sleep cant eat, crazy headache, aches and pains everywhere etc. or should i be okay? also i was wondering if its okay to take a stimulant such as adderall while going through these withdrawals. I work two jobs and cant call in sick to both, and without any sleep im going to need something to keep me awake...as unhealthy as it sounds i need to do it, and i am prescribed adderall btw....thanks for the fast response
    Try going from 320 to 160 mil oxy a day, then down to 2) 40s, tapered to one 40 to just a few methadone in a matter of several weeks, no dope (op's) in 5 days. I'm barely making it, no sleep. I do have a person that got me on these things to help me get off, we are best friends. I do not want to get caught on these (meths) mother????ers for long.

thanks for the advice everyone i really appreciate it. made it through yesterday without having to take anything. took 2mg of xanax around 9pm (didnt sleep at all the night before), 6mg of melatonin an hour later after i still could not fall asleep. about 30 minutes later i fell asleep and woke up about an hour and a half to two hours later and have been up since. Tried the warm shower after i took the xanax and couldnt sleep and that may have helped but i still woke up drenched in sweat 2 hours later. I have one 2mg xanax left and then i may ask my doctor about getting some valium to go to sleep, why does the thomas recipe say to use xanax only if you can not get the other benzos? what is the advantage of valium over xanax?

If i could get some damn sleep i feel like this would be soo much easier. was supposed to work 2 shifts for 2 different jobs today, thank god for sick days or I would have passed the f out at work.

So my last dose was on Saturday the 4th at 8pm...when can i expect to start sleeping at least somewhat normally?

casual: thats nuts, i cant imagine. after having gone through this ???? i cant even begin to think about how bad >>>>>> wd's are

also wanted to add that i am probably going to have to have more surgery on my back, and while i do not want to take ???? like this again i dont know that i will have that option. so how long does it take for your tolerance to go down to an at least somewhat normal level? also, are there any non narcotic painkillers aside from neproxen, ibuprofen, and tylenol that you guys have had luck with? ive been taking neurontin for nerve damage but havent taken that in a few weeks and they also tried to put me on tramadol to help wean off the norco. after having read about tramadol though i feel like i could be getting myself into the same situation i am in with the norco if i keep taking the tramadol...obviously to a lesser extent, but still, im not trying to trade one problem for another

casual is offline Member

Its been working for me the methadone, if I take 3 the 1st day then 2, then down to just one and now to day 1/2 in morning and I had another 1/2 about 2;30. I feel real good, no w/d at all. I've done this before when I couldn't score, now though I have a rattlesnake available just down the road and my friend said if I needed something to come get it for free. I said never give me anything but the methadone, That stuff works good for me. You know what a rattlesnake is?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by casual View Post
    Its been working for me the methadone, if I take 3 the 1st day then 2, then down to just one and now to day 1/2 in morning and I had another 1/2 about 2;30. I feel real good, no w/d at all. I've done this before when I couldn't score, now though I have a rattlesnake available just down the road and my friend said if I needed something to come get it for free. I said never give me anything but the methadone, That stuff works good for me. You know what a rattlesnake is?

I guess this is a new one for me. Certainly I know what a rattlesnake is. I've shot several. But if this is some kind of a drug concoction I have no idea what it is. Guess we learn something every day. Please tell me about a rattlesnake.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

casual is offline Member

Default Rattlesnake

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I guess this is a new one for me. Certainly I know what a rattlesnake is. I've shot several. But if this is some kind of a drug concoction I have no idea what it is. Guess we learn something every day. Please tell me about a rattlesnake.
    A rattlesnake is simply a whole bottle of oxy's 80's, when shaken, it makes the sound of a rattlesnake. I used to love that sound, it could actually be any bottle of pills though. Of course all bottles of different ones make different sounds. My friend has a full script of 90 80's and 90 40's, I seen them both and didn't touch them. I've basically told her that she has to help me get off these meds, and supply me with just methadone, so far she hasn't used anything in front of me and I've been with her for two days. I will tell you guys what the doctor has prescribed her for yrs, upon her approval of course, you may be shocked. On another note, I thought I was the coolest guy around on this ???? and then you realize one day and become envious of anybody not on meds.
    Last edited by casual; 06-08-2011 at 05:59 AM.