tryin to get clean from opiates...
    sccerguy25 is offline New Member

Default tryin to get clean from opiates...

I've been using oxy regularly for about 2.5 years now and want to stop. its ruining a lot of friendships and stuff i have goin for me so i tried to stop using oxy 3 days ago and the withdrawels were terrible mainly dealin with my stomach pains and the restless legs which in turn means no sleep...it sucks and i couldnt take it and was given about a 80mg dose of some OC. that was last night and got me through the night and am now feelin horrible once again. I am goin to the doc tomorrow to see what he can do for me but i dont know what to say to him. Should i tell him that I am an opiate addict or that I just need something to cure all the symptons that i have? i was thinkin about subs but i dont like those i've tried them before and it didnt seem to do much for me. is there any other pill that is for a detox of opiates? any advice would be much appreciated!

thank you
    Last edited by sccerguy25; 01-12-2009 at 02:16 AM.

sue13 is offline Member

Hi Sccrguy,

I have been doing a slow taper-from 10 10/500 Hydrocodone to 3 (today). This is after many times of try to c/t it and giving in when all my joints started hurting, leg cramps, stomach pains, lethargy, dizziness...well you know. Ask your Dr. about a taper. It is sort of slow but bearable torture...

If you want to read a good thread on c/t (and my way) read "want to quit with me January 1st?".

If you do the taper I will hang in there with you.

Sue

musicman48 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sccerguy25 View Post
    I've been using oxy regularly for about 2.5 years now and want to stop. its ruining a lot of friendships and stuff i have goin for me so i tried to stop using oxy 3 days ago and the withdrawels were terrible mainly dealin with my stomach pains and the restless legs which in turn means no sleep...it sucks and i couldnt take it and was given about a 80mg dose of some OC. that was last night and got me through the night and am now feelin horrible once again. I am goin to the doc tomorrow to see what he can do for me but i dont know what to say to him. Should i tell him that I am an opiate addict or that I just need something to cure all the symptons that i have? i was thinkin about subs but i dont like those i've tried them before and it didnt seem to do much for me. is there any other pill that is for a detox of opiates? any advice would be much appreciated!

thank you
    If you are serious about quitting ,then yes,tell your Dr to help you. Google the Thomas Recipe.Many members have used this successfully..Also read the post Sue was telling you about.Good luck to you.

Hydra is offline Member

Default sccerguy25:

Quote Originally Posted by sccerguy25 View Post

thank you
    Honey, there is no magic pill for detox and recovery, it is just something we addicts have to get through, and stick with. Taking the 80mg on day three of detox is almost pointless, sweetheart. It may have relieved your symptoms for a little while, but it dumped you out right back where you were, didn't it? I say this not to upset you, but to encourage you to throw that $hit away before you throw your whole life away. We did this to ourselves, and we have to get ourselves out of it . . . however hard it may be. If detox and recovery was easy, we'd all still be using!

Your statement that "subs didn't seem to do much" for you concerns me a bit. Suboxone isn't meant to do more than relieve the horrible physical symptoms of withdrawal. If you were looking for it to do much more than that, like give you that good ol' warm & fuzzy opiate feeling, you are right that it doesn't do that at all. It does, however, work for many people relieving the physical symptoms of withdrawal (speaking from personal experience). If your withdrawal is just more than you can take, I would take a more serious look at suboxone, do some more research here on the board. It's not for everybody, but it IS a good alternative to methadone for many. Not all doctors are licensed to prescribe suboxone, so you may need to find a different doc if you choose to go this route.

I have been where you are. I had a 250mg/day opiate habit for years. I clearly remember day 3, day 4 of detox. I lived through it, and so can you. For me, the icky tummy & the $hits were the WORST. You have to make that choice to just get through it and not to give in to the drug. Get yourself some valium for sleep. Check out the Thomas recipe here on the board. Take another look at Sub. I don't know much about methadone, but have heard some horror stories about trying to get off of it. But, first and foremost, make the choice to not take ANY MORE pills, and stick to it. You will get through it, a day, an hour, a minute at a time, and you will be so proud of yourself for doing it.

Hugs & sloppy kisses,
    HW

sccerguy25 is offline New Member

thank you so much for all your support...i really appreciate it! ill let you all know how it goes after.

sue13 is offline Member

I repeat: I will hang in there with you. We can be a gang of 2?. I have no question that I want to be rid of all of these things, and would love to have a "pal". BTW- although many people have had success with Suboxone, I have heard just as many stories of then having another problem from which to rid ourselves.

I mean it; please consider me your buddy in this. It sounds like you are in the same boat.

Help oldtimers: I still cannot figure out how to Pm or email someone here..

HELP!!!

SUE

musicman48 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sue13 View Post
    I repeat: I will hang in there with you. We can be a gang of 2?. I have no question that I want to be rid of all of these things, and would love to have a "pal". BTW- although many people have had success with Suboxone, I have heard just as many stories of then having another problem from which to rid ourselves.

I mean it; please consider me your buddy in this. It sounds like you are in the same boat.

Help oldtimers: I still cannot figure out how to Pm or email someone here..

HELP!!!

SUE
    Hey Sue,not everyone can be emailed.That option is left up to the user.Some names you click on "Robert for example" and you are given the option to email.others "like mine" do not give you the option.Hope this helps.Hope you are doing ok.

Thumbs up thanks

thanks for the advice and help from those of you who have been there and done this, i am getting ready to detox from opiates myself, i have asked for some of the same advice in my own thread, i will take any and all advice offered, thanks to those of you who are giving it.