Think I made a big mistake, 21 day methadone detox
    HelpPlz1234 is offline New Member

Default Think I made a big mistake, 21 day methadone detox

Okay so here's my story, I got clean once before from a 60-80 mg a day Oxy habbit cold turkey.. Then did the stupidest thing and relapsed and ended up back on 40 mg/day of Oxy after a few months. I was told by some local people that a 21 day methadone detox would help me quit alot easier than cold turkey. They wanted to start me off on 30 mg/day at the methadone clinic and I told them it was way too much since I was at a low dose of oxy and they put me on 15mg/day of the methadone.. and it basically went 15 mg for 6 days then -1 mg per day, I'm down to 4 mg as of today and I feel pretty bad.. Anxiety is the main problem, I'm scared I made a huge mistake instead of cold turkey stopping the oxy. Will I be going through worse withdrawal for a long period of time than if i had just cold turkey quit oxy even though I was started on a low dose of 15 mg and it's only been 18 days? I'm tempted to quit now instead of finishing out the rest of the taper as it's not helping much except for the first half of the day and 3 mg's tomorrow is such a small dose. Any advice would be really really appreciated, thank you!

I'm really freaking out.. I hope I didn't make a huge mistake.. Am I going to have much worse withdrawals from the 21 days on methadone even though its a low dose? I wonder how long I will be in pain this time

jrneuberger is offline Banned

Default Think you Made a Mistake???

On the contrary, you've done the right thing. And do NOT quit the treatment early as this will only increase any discomfort. Follow it through to the end. It IS helping.

But the anxiety you're feeling and its causes is a much deeper problem than this detox protocol. And more likely lies in your addictive tendencies, proven through relapse. A detox does not "cure" an addiction in most. Long term opioid addiction can produce permanent changes in brain chemistry, and it could be that your anxiety stems from this. Only time will tell. But if you find yourself relapsing again, then come to terms with the fact that you need a medical treatment for this medical condition. That treatment is endorphin replacement through the use of maintenance therapies like methadone or suboxone. Don't throw away a life---instead treat the medical condition you seem to have.

I wish you success.
    J.R. Neuberger
    National Alliance for Medication Assisted Recovery

Quote Originally Posted by HelpPlz1234 View Post
    Okay so here's my story, I got clean once before from a 60-80 mg a day Oxy habbit cold turkey.. Then did the stupidest thing and relapsed and ended up back on 40 mg/day of Oxy after a few months. I was told by some local people that a 21 day methadone detox would help me quit alot easier than cold turkey. They wanted to start me off on 30 mg/day at the methadone clinic and I told them it was way too much since I was at a low dose of oxy and they put me on 15mg/day of the methadone.. and it basically went 15 mg for 6 days then -1 mg per day, I'm down to 4 mg as of today and I feel pretty bad.. Anxiety is the main problem, I'm scared I made a huge mistake instead of cold turkey stopping the oxy. Will I be going through worse withdrawal for a long period of time than if i had just cold turkey quit oxy even though I was started on a low dose of 15 mg and it's only been 18 days? I'm tempted to quit now instead of finishing out the rest of the taper as it's not helping much except for the first half of the day and 3 mg's tomorrow is such a small dose. Any advice would be really really appreciated, thank you!

I guess I will dose today, and thank you much for your advice.
    Any other opinions though? I'm curious what I should expect after the 21 days are up. I guess on the good side of things starting at 15 mg had to help somewhat as opposed to the normal 30 mg, I'm just so worried about the fact I may of raised my tolerance rather than lowered it and might be in for much longer w/d's.

I'm DONE is offline Junior Member

I guess I will dose today, and thank you much for your advice.
    Any other opinions though? I'm curious what I should expect after the 21 days are up. I guess on the good side of things starting at 15 mg had to help somewhat as opposed to the normal 30 mg, I'm just so worried about the fact I may of raised my tolerance rather than lowered it and might be in for much longer w/d's.
    HelpPLZ,

Doing a 21 detox on Methadone is not necessarily a bad thing. Methadone takes some time to get into your system and work it's way into your fatty tissues. The length of time that your going to be on the Methadone I don't think it's going to give you the long drawn out withdrawal that most have when coming off it.

I have been on Methadone for the same reasons as you expect my mistake was I stayed on it for 6 months. I quit Methadone C/T at 60mg at thought it would be hell on earth but it wasn't. With me I just felt bad for a month. When C/T Oxy now that to me was pure agony. I couldn't stand and relapsed many times just to get rid of the W/D's. That's when I did just like you and hit the Done.

The anxiety you have comes with the territory. When withdrawing from any Opiate your going to feel something. This is a game you pay to get in and pay to get out.

If you have a doctor you can talk to and let them know how your your feeling there are comfort meds that do help. Clonidine is a Blood Pressure med specifically used now in the assistance of opiate withdrawal. There are also Benzos ie. Valium, Klonopin, Xanax etc.. These you have to watch out for as they can be just as addicting as the opiates. So you would only use them as needed and for no longer than a couple of days in a row. You don't want to experience Benzo withdrawal.

Get some Multivitamins, Omega 3,6,9; B Complex; Calcium/Magnesium and possibly so Ensure type drinks for the first couple of days. You have to rebuild your system up. So if you have a stop date start with the Vitamin regimen now because it takes a couple of days for them to start working.

Fear is an awful thing. It will inhibit us from doing what is right for ourselves. But trust me it does pass. If you set you mind to quitting then the withdrawals will not be as bad. If you hem and woe then they'll just be worse. Set your mind at peace to this is what your going to do and no matter how bad it gets it will get better.

Keep posting it does help..

D
    Last edited by ddcmod; 05-01-2010 at 07:42 PM.

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

Many, maybe most, of the people on this forum will disagree with Mr./Ms. Neuberger. I for one, do not. Most people can beat an addiction through detox, taper, groups, and the like. There is a minority, hard core group that won't. They do need maintenance therapy and thank goodness there is such a thing nowadays. I don't mean to discourage anyone. Any and all means/methods should be exhausted before coming to a personal realization that you (the generic you, no one in particular, not OP) are one of those people who needs maintenance for a long time, if not forever. If you change your lifestyle and stop addict behaviors, you can be very successful even if not 100% chemical free. The best thing is to be that, but sadly, because of screwed up brain chemistry of just plain psychology, not everyone is able.

ohithurts is offline Junior Member

I am doing a really fast taper..from 70mg down to.50mg today since last Friday and I don't feel any different. Hang in there ..you will feel better..I am taking B- complex and I am taking 1/2 of a oxycodone 10 mg when I feel I need one, but that hasn't been very much. Now starting tomorrow, I will taper to .25 mg and do that for the next 10 days. And then I will stop the methadone for good. I have been doing methadone for 7 months and had worked my way up to 70mg and I am not going to do it anymore. Hang in there...fear will make you have withdrawals worse than you should. It isn't that bad. You can do it. Last Friday, I was freaking out...and since that day, nothing has happened to me. I have spoken to two different Dr.'s and I know that two Dr's are not lying to me and are not telling me lies..so I believe them and I know how I feel. You will be okay. I am.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 05-01-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Can anyone possibly please give me some kind of time frame I can expect to be in withdrawals after my 21 day taper is over? I feel like I made a huge mistake since I was only on 30-40 mg of oxy a day I should of just cold turkey'd, but I'm lucky I only started at 15 mg for methadone but I wish they wouldn't of kept me there for a week then lowered me a mg a day I wish they would of made the taper shorter, I'm really worried about having a worse dependance to deal with now.

I'm DONE is offline Junior Member

Can anyone possibly please give me some kind of time frame I can expect to be in withdrawals after my 21 day taper is over? I feel like I made a huge mistake since I was only on 30-40 mg of oxy a day I should of just cold turkey'd, but I'm lucky I only started at 15 mg for methadone but I wish they wouldn't of kept me there for a week then lowered me a mg a day I wish they would of made the taper shorter, I'm really worried about having a worse dependance to deal with now.
    Okay, here's the way I look at it. Your doing a 21 Taper and your at 15mg. So if I understand you, your on 15mg's right now. For a week. So you have 14 days to get to 0mg's. You should get them to start dropping you down 1mg a day. I would think there train of thought for keeping you at 15mg was to work the OC out of your system. The main thing you have do NOW is get your nutritional values correct. Vitamins etc.. Set your mind for your end date and stay positive. There is another site which I don't know if I can say it on here that is all about people going through Methadone withdrawal. They talk about there Taper plans and C/T experiences. The site is called Topix. Just type in the search bar Methadone withdrawal. There are people on there night and day going through the same thing you are.

This site is great but at certain times people just aren't around. From experience with Methadone withdrawal I stopped at 60mg's C/T and yes I felt lousy for about 3 weeks but I would take that lousy feeling any day over C/T OC.

With you being on it for such a short period of time I do not think your going to get that long drawn out withdrawal. I have read posts where some people feel great in a week and others months on end-but those are the people that have been on it for years.

I can tell your frightened but stick to your guns. Make a plan on on what your going to do when you stop.

If I could tell you how long it will take for the withdrawals to go I would. Everyone is different. But right now it seems like you psyching yourself out.

You be fine and if it's still there check that other site out.

D

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

21 days on methadone isn't that big of a deal. What I feel you did is just prolonged the inevitable c/t you have to go through but 21 days starting at 15 mgs. won't make it any worse than it would have been without the methadone..... There was barely enough time for the meth to really get working.... So don't fret but realize you will have to go through changes. Look up the Thomas Recipe.. People absolutely swear by it to ease c/t.

Later today will be my last day of the taper, 1 mg, and I will be finished. At the moment, I'm only experiencing mild withdrawal.. But if I understand correctly, it'll take a few days before I start to really feel the pain because of the half-life of the methadone, am I correct? To be honest the day before yesterday was alot worse than today even though I'm now at a lower dosage, kind of strange.. I've been in pretty mild w/d for about a week though with it peaking at different times a few days ago. Mind feels foggy, slight aches, and very tired but revved up feeling I remember all too well. Praying things don't get too much worse than this, but not looking back if it does. I can handle a week or two to get my life back.

Went to the clinic today for last dose of the taper and they sent me back with nothing, apparently they don't dose below 2 mg.. But that's okay, to be honest, what I feel right now is very mild. It's been approx. 34 hours since my last dose, which was 2 mg. How long til the w/d's really kick in? I keep hoping and praying maybe things won't get worse, but preparing for the worst just incase.

no_more_tram is offline Member

It usually took me day 4 or 5 to even start feeling any kind of W/D. So you will probably feel a bit worse in a few days, but once your over it, it's over!!! Keep up the great work, and continue to post
    "If I NEVER use again, I will NEVER have to feel this way"

39 hours since last dose and it's definitely starting to get worse, can't sleep and RLS is kicking in.. but I guess the sooner it starts, the sooner it's over, right? I hope it doesn't take much longer than a week or so to get better I only used other opaties for about 4 1/2 months then 21 days on the 'done so hopefully I'm not in for too long of a ride. Can't believe I'm in this spot again though, sighhh.

50 hours since last dose. Could only sleep 2 hours last night, but that's pretty good considering.. The RLS really kicked in hard for a while. Thankfully I feel decent at the moment. It's strange how things keep coming in waves.. I have high hopes that this will go far smoother than last times c/t. I'm hoping since I was on it for such a short time I shouldn't have to wait 4-5 days for things to really get bad. Hopefully they are already getting better each day.

72 hours since last dose. Feeling better today than I was yesterday, insomnia is pretty bad but other than that most the physical stuff feels better, just really really tired and a little uncomfortable.