Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 77
tapering off percocet need help!!!
  1. #1
    leepromoter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    24

    Question tapering off percocet need help!!!

    well here i go i have been addicted to pain meds percocet and vicodin for about 4 years heres my story and i need some advice so if anyone can help let me say thanks now. well it all started when i was in an accident working at a psych hospital i was attacked by a patient and was hurt i was put on vicodin 7.5 mg every 4 hours after being on it for 2 years by a doctor prescription i knew they were not going to give me anymore so i went to the streets and started getting vicodin or percocet well now its all percocet i take between 55 -65 milligrams a day and i need to come off of it i am going to ween down i did it before and i know i can again. sorrry forgot that part when i got cut off from doctor there was no help like hey use this so i weened down and then was clean about a week and i went back to the doctor because she hadnt seen me in three months cause i had refills she forgot so she gave me another script i know iam rambling sorry just so nervous never done this before. so after that script i never went back. i just went to the street so now i need to be done i will not do methodone because i dont want that addiction i have seen it first hand i dont think it will work for me i know i can ween but i want to know what i should start the process from and go down to so it can worjk this time for me any suggestions would be great as iam all alone at times through this and this is hard for me i dont drink or do other drugs and iam not judging anyone but i got a degree as a drug and alcohol counselor and iam addicted right now thats why this hurts me so please if you think iam being judgemental at all by that statement iam not believe me just need some answers on the best way to ween down thanks sorry for all the bad writing going back and forth.
    i just want some advice as to how i should start the drop i dont want to go to fast and i am afraid of that because it could not work i just need some community advice to take in
    Last edited by leepromoter; 02-09-2009 at 11:34 PM.

  2. #2
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leepromoter View Post
    well here i go i have been addicted to pain meds percocet and vicodin for about 4 years heres my story and i need some advice so if anyone can help let me say thanks now. well it all started when i was in an accident working at a psych hospital i was attacked by a patient and was hurt i was put on vicodin 7.5 mg every 4 hours after being on it for 2 years by a doctor prescription i knew they were not going to give me anymore so i went to the streets and started getting vicodin or percocet well now its all percocet i take between 55 -65 milligrams a day and i need to come off of it i am going to ween down i did it before and i know i can again. sorrry forgot that part when i got cut off from doctor there was no help like hey use this so i weened down and then was clean about a week and i went back to the doctor because she hadnt seen me in three months cause i had refills she forgot so she gave me another script i know iam rambling sorry just so nervous never done this before. so after that script i never went back. i just went to the street so now i need to be done i will not do methodone because i dont want that addiction i have seen it first hand i dont think it will work for me i know i can ween but i want to know what i should start the process from and go down to so it can worjk this time for me any suggestions would be great as iam all alone at times through this and this is hard for me i dont drink or do other drugs and iam not judging anyone but i got a degree as a drug and alcohol counselor and iam addicted right now thats why this hurts me so please if you think iam being judgemental at all by that statement iam not believe me just need some answers on the best way to ween down thanks sorry for all the bad writing going back and forth.
    i just want some advice as to how i should start the drop i dont want to go to fast and i am afraid of that because it could not work i just need some community advice to take in
    Hi leepromoter
    I did a taper. I'm not sure how you are taking your pills, but if you are on around 60mg is that 20mg morning, noon and evening ?
    I would start with 15mg morning, noon and evening...
    I would do that till you feel stable then you can drop a bit more.
    There are allot of little tricks like waiting for 10 min before you take your next dose...then when you make that 10 min you do it again...you get really good at it.
    Let me know how you are taking your pills and we can set you up a plan...
    Talk to you soon, Melinda

  3. #3
    leepromoter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    24

    Default

    thanks for response melinda i dont know it differs i usually take twenty mg in am then through out day keep taking them sometimes 10mg then 2 hours later 5 mg then four hours 10mg its all messed up not consistant at all its like trying to always fell the meds ya know i dont understand wghat you mean about 10 minute thing explain more if you can and again thanks

  4. #4
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leepromoter View Post
    thanks for response melinda i dont know it differs i usually take twenty mg in am then through out day keep taking them sometimes 10mg then 2 hours later 5 mg then four hours 10mg its all messed up not consistant at all its like trying to always fell the meds ya know i dont understand wghat you mean about 10 minute thing explain more if you can and again thanks
    Hi Leep
    If you can break up your doses so you can keep track of them...that way you can you can start to taper, so do you think you can take your pills only 3x a day. like morning noon and evening what ever you want to start on. 20mg or if your ready 15mg 3x a day.Well get to the 10 min thing later in the proses. LOL

    Melinda

  5. #5
    leepromoter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    24

    Default

    yes i think i can do that 20 mg three times a day i have to iam wondering howlong you think it will take heres another thing i have so many different strengths from 5mg to 15mg instant release to 30mg instant release i cut the 30 in four and the 15 in half so you know

  6. #6
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leepromoter View Post
    yes i think i can do that 20 mg three times a day i have to iam wondering howlong you think it will take heres another thing i have so many different strengths from 5mg to 15mg instant release to 30mg instant release i cut the 30 in four and the 15 in half so you know
    Hi Leep
    Yes thats a great idea. you just need to stay at the same dose for a couple days then you can start to work your way down. you can do this I was addicted to oxycontin and perc's and vic's and a bunch of other stuff to.
    I did a taper down to 2 five mg vic's a day and then jumped off.
    I have been clean now since August...
    so tomorrow you will take 20mg 3x a day try to space them out morning noon and evening. that will get your body use to it.
    Melinda

  7. #7
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    OH and for how long it will take will depend on how much you can taper at a time. I cut my dose down about every 3 or 4 days. but i was working thru it so I took it slow

  8. #8
    leepromoter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    24

    Default

    ok will do i am just nervous doing this alone i know it sounds dumb a 29 year old man who cant be alone i dont mean it like that its just so hard i can just think of the night sweats and tough sleeping i also have panic disorders as well which i take valium from a doctor low dose but i think it might help during this do you

  9. #9
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leepromoter View Post
    ok will do i am just nervous doing this alone i know it sounds dumb a 29 year old man who cant be alone i dont mean it like that its just so hard i can just think of the night sweats and tough sleeping i also have panic disorders as well which i take valium from a doctor low dose but i think it might help during this do you
    Hi Leep
    I was petrified when I started this, I also had panic disorder, I can keep at bay now...I can help you with that to when we get done with the taper.
    I'm on here all the time if you ever need to talk, myself or someone else will be here.I have to work for about 3 hours tomorrow, but I will be around after that I'm expecting company tomorrow, so Ill be home getter ready for that.
    But Ill be checking for you to see how you are doing...
    the Valium will help you thru this. there is also the Thomas recipe.
    Ill find it a post it on this thread for you.

  10. #10
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Recipe, You'll need
    Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.
    Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store). [generic brand anti-diarrheal is fine. Don't take it unless really uncomfortable]
    L-Tyrosine* (500 mg caps) from the health food store.* [See Warning]
    Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper and Magnesium.
    Vitamin B6 caps. [or stress B-complex?]
    Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available). [many gyms offer free trials]
    How to use the recipe
    Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst W/D symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5. [melatonin worked well after day 4 for me. Sleeplessness sometimes hangs on awhile]

    During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate W/D symptom. [I like Epsom salts in the tub. Forces Magnesium into the muscles]

    Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. DON'T TAKE IT, however, if you don't need it.[Diarrhea is the bodies way to aid in the detox so take Immodium or generic for the comfort factor, if needed]

    At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate W/D malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine*. Try 2000 mg, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mg. Take the L-Tyrosine* with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine* will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine* can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate W/D, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine* is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help. [*Read the Warning first! *L-Tyrosine* is great. *SamE 400* mg works for mood too]

    With breakfast, take the mineral supplement.

    As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better. [Walking gets the blood and lymph systems working, helping you detox better.]

    PLEASE NOTE: If you have any medical complications, first check with your doctor before detoxing to verify that this regimen is safe for you. [Very important note]

    [WARNING If you are on anti-Depressants, use medical supervision on L-Tyrosine, SamE and all mood enhancers. There can be a risk if taking L-Tyrosine, 5 HTP if you are on a tricyclic or a MAIO antidepressant's ...It can cause a spike in blood pressure.]

  11. #11
    leepromoter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    24

    Default

    ok do i just keep checking on this thread and posting and someone will respond like you or do i create a new thread you are my only responder let me know thanks i appreciate it your help

  12. #12
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leepromoter View Post
    ok do i just keep checking on this thread and posting and someone will respond like you or do i create a new thread you are my only responder let me know thanks i appreciate it your help
    If you post I will see you soon...I will be checking on you often, there will be others here that will help to,most of us here have gotten off drugs and we just want to help others...
    Im in seattle so my time is 10:30 right now but I will be back on about 6:00 to check on you...are you doing ok now???

  13. #13
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melinda7.5 View Post
    If you post I will see you soon...I will be checking on you often, there will be others here that will help to,most of us here have gotten off drugs and we just want to help others...
    Im in seattle so my time is 10:30 right now but I will be back on about 6:00 to check on you...are you doing ok now???
    Oh it's best to stay on one thread so we can keep tabs easer...

  14. #14
    leepromoter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    24

    Default

    ya ok i guess just feel a little scared getting ready for this my friends i know are going to go the methadone way and i cant do it i know inside i can do this but i know it will be hard iam in az so its not to late here i just want to know theres people on here that will listen

  15. #15
    python134r is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    70

    Default help

    I answered your other post, I see melinda answered, she is good people and will help you. You are in good hands, I am glad someone flagged you to help you with the taper. I knew they would. See you are not alone now!

    Rich g

  16. #16
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leepromoter View Post
    ya ok i guess just feel a little scared getting ready for this my friends i know are going to go the methadone way and i cant do it i know inside i can do this but i know it will be hard iam in az so its not to late here i just want to know theres people on here that will listen

    LOL...you got the best person for that...That is my mission here,I was so scared when i did my taper I never want anyone to feel that way..
    Please dont go the methdone way,you really not on that much your taper will go good, so dont worry... even tell your friend that there is suboxone or subutex that is a better way than methadone...
    But I would allways try to do a taper first...
    Melinda

  17. #17
    leepromoter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    24

    Default

    i read the post python left for me as well god he has been through wars and is doing great i haver those feelings like he talked about iam scared like hin of losing everything i own three business and i work hard thats all i do my girlfriend complains about our swex life its horrible but i know its my fault but she doesnt understand this and my mom knew about the first time and helped me shes in boston if i told her this now she would be devastated she is my best friend but she has way to much going on in her life my grandmother is living there and is old and sick just had her third hear attack ion the last year over the weekend so its lonely i work long days and then stay home and watch sports and movies till i go to bed and tonight i decided to write this i just feel like iam hard on myself cause iam thats just me do you really think that my numbers arent that high my friends say the same thing there at 90 to 120 mg a day i guess iam scared thats what it is

  18. #18
    mitchigan is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    99

    Default The Doctor is in!!

    I see Dr. Melinda is in...lol. Don't worry Lee, you'll do fine with Melinda's help, she has lots of knowledge.

    P.S. How was the vacation Melinda?

  19. #19
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leepromoter View Post
    i read the post python left for me as well god he has been through wars and is doing great i haver those feelings like he talked about iam scared like hin of losing everything i own three business and i work hard thats all i do my girlfriend complains about our swex life its horrible but i know its my fault but she doesnt understand this and my mom knew about the first time and helped me shes in boston if i told her this now she would be devastated she is my best friend but she has way to much going on in her life my grandmother is living there and is old and sick just had her third hear attack ion the last year over the weekend so its lonely i work long days and then stay home and watch sports and movies till i go to bed and tonight i decided to write this i just feel like iam hard on myself cause iam thats just me do you really think that my numbers arent that high my friends say the same thing there at 90 to 120 mg a day i guess iam scared thats what it is

    I was taking about about 20 x more than you are doing when I got down to
    to 60 mg a day I was a happy camper...LOL
    Tyr not to be hard on your self you going to fix this and you can get back to your normial life.

  20. #20
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitchigan View Post
    I see Dr. Melinda is in...lol. Don't worry Lee, you'll do fine with Melinda's help, she has lots of knowledge.

    P.S. How was the vacation Melinda?
    Hi michigan
    It was great, now I have company comming tomorrow.
    So im really having a good month...
    Hope your doing well...
    Talk soon, Melinda

  21. #21
    leepromoter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    24

    Default

    well i will try to not be to hard thanks again did u read my last long post about what i said what do you think?

  22. #22
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leepromoter View Post
    well i will try to not be to hard thanks again did u read my last long post about what i said what do you think?
    I have my own business also,,I was running it into the ground,But it only took a couple months to get back to kicking a$$ now I have more work than I know what to do with...you will to lets just focus on getting you well for now and then you can take care of that...

    And for the sex life we had a thread going on that one for awhile...
    But don't worry that is one of the first things that comes back and when it does look out, your girlfriend will be very happy...LOL

    Melinda

  23. #23
    python134r is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Leep, take a deep breath and try to relax, alot of the anxiety we create on our own, You are in good hands, just do as melinda suggests and keep in contact.

    Yes your business is important, your family and girlfriend are important but if you are more important right now. If you are not there for yourself you cannot be there for your loved ones and business.

    You took the first step, keep walking it..........Addiction never gets better it only gets worse, you know that.

    oh,once you get clean your "swex" life will improve...trust me on this one. I am having trouble sleeping so if you feel you need to post I'll be around.

    Rich g

  24. #24
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by python134r View Post
    Leep, take a deep breath and try to relax, alot of the anxiety we create on our own, You are in good hands, just do as melinda suggests and keep in contact.

    Yes your business is important, your family and girlfriend are important but if you are more important right now. If you are not there for yourself you cannot be there for your loved ones and business.

    You took the first step, keep walking it..........Addiction never gets better it only gets worse, you know that.

    oh,once you get clean your "swex" life will improve...trust me on this one. I am having trouble sleeping so if you feel you need to post I'll be around.

    Rich g
    Hi Rich
    Thanks my friend Im going to sleep. got to work in the morning.
    Talk to you later, Melinda

  25. #25
    python134r is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melinda7.5 View Post
    Hi Rich
    Thanks my friend Im going to sleep. got to work in the morning.
    Talk to you later, Melinda
    Goodnight Dr M!!!!!

    Rich g

  26. #26
    leepromoter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    24

    Default python

    it sucks to know what your supposed to do like i shoukd with schooling and all that and i know i come first its just you tend to beat yourself up a bit i know i shouldnt and i will try not to do it that bad but your right i did make the first step and that alone is progress i would like to here what you got to say it really feels like you really know whats up and have learned it through some tought times and your doing great and thats what counts you lost a lot but gained a lot as well it seems thnx

  27. #27
    python134r is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leepromoter View Post
    it sucks to know what your supposed to do like i shoukd with schooling and all that and i know i come first its just you tend to beat yourself up a bit i know i shouldnt and i will try not to do it that bad but your right i did make the first step and that alone is progress i would like to here what you got to say it really feels like you really know whats up and have learned it through some tought times and your doing great and thats what counts you lost a lot but gained a lot as well it seems thnx
    Leep, I am doing ok, I am sober, but I still struggle at times. I lost my dream job last july when my company Siemens laid off 17,000 people. I am on unemployment and food stamps and burning through my savings but I am sober and optimistic that I will get another Network admin job again, soon.

    I worked for myself most of my life, had as you a number of small businesses most successful but lost it all. After a while I just got tired of building up my life and tearing it down over and over plus addiction is a family disease. I know they do not know but if it gets to that point it affects then too.

    I know you are fearful of the repercussions so dwell on them, it has a way of eating you up and make you make bad important decisions. I wish I had the strength and knowledge I have now at 52 at 29.

    When I got clean in 2006 my fiancee who was 25 (long story, another time) died a year later of a oxy,xanax,alcohol overdose. If I needed a reason to use that was surly a good one but I would ultimately end up the same way, this is a given. I still struggle with feelings of guilt that I laid upon myself over her death. I beat myself up still but still stay clean.

    Forget the schooling issue, don't judge yourself by your credentials and job. You are you, not your job and /or schooling. I would however suggest some kind of support group such as NA, something. It is very hard to do it alone, obviously, that's why you are here asking for help.

    Keep walking the walk, Leep.......it will get better

    Rich g

  28. #28
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Leep .... you have good people giving you advice. Melinda always gives good advice, especially where tapers are concerned, and Rich is absolutely correct about the value of the meetings especially for you considering the things you are mentioning as challenges for you. I agree with him, the meetings would be a smart move at this point in time. And not just a few, get into the program and work it hard. You'll begin to see some major improvements in your life the more concentrated effort you put into this. God bless. ;-)
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

  29. #29
    Anonymous Guest

    Default Good Morning

    Hi Leep
    I just wanted to check and see you your doing ?
    Ill check back when you get on here...
    Talk to you later, Melinda

  30. #30
    leepromoter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    24

    Default

    well i am starting the process here i go morning dose done off to work wish me luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22