taper off ativan
    JolieMara6 is offline Junior Member

Default taper off ativan

Does anyone know how I can taper from 2mgs of ativan/lorazepam adn switch to valium? I've seen charts, but my doctor only gave me 30 5mg tablets and said I would be done after that.
    I'm totally confused on how to do it with only 30 5 mgs!
    Any advice?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Your dr has NO idea how the switch from lorazepam to diazepam works. Each 1mg of lorazepam is equal to 10mg of diazepam. You don't have enough diazepam there to last two weeks. Don't know what to say. I can't make a taper plan out of that, it's not much more than a cold turkey doing it in a couple weeks. The dr just gave you a diazepam script to get rid of you. He has no idea what you're wanting to do or else he doesn't understand. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Yep....this sucks. But I have no other options. I have alot of ativan left....and 28 5mgs of Diazepam. So, I have to make it work I guess. I called the pharmacist and he said I can take both (they are broken down differently). So, I guess I will try to wing it the best I can. Any ideas??? Please, anything would help. I know I will go through withdrawals, but I just want to be able to deal...so I guess a fast taper will be the way. I figured I am around 1.5mgs of ativan now (started at 2mgs and have been down to 1.5 for about 4 days or so).
    Any advice will help!

If you're at 1.5mg of ativan tomorrow take .5mg ativan in the mid to late morning and take 10mg diazepam at night. Take it about 45 minutes before bedtime. Do the same thing the next day. Then we'll have you reduce again. That is an equivelant dose of ativan/valium doing it like that. Want you to see that you are fine then we'll reduce your dose in two days. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

K....thank you! Last night I took 7.5mg valium and then 1mg of ativan. The night before I took 10mg valium and I had leg cramps, .....Last night I slept well and so far so good today. I think the valium helps during the day time, even though I take it at night due to its long half-life. So tonight should I do 10mg valium and .5mg ativan? I want to reduce the valium as fast as I can because I don't have much...or should I do .75mg ativan/7.5 valium....whatever you think is best I will do. It is soooo confusing! Thank you for your help!

7.5mg of diazepam and 1mg of ativan equals 17.5mg of diazepam. That's almost twice what I suggested, that's why you slept so well. You should be switching over to valium, not getting rid of it. The valium is doing nothing but confusing you. There is a method to switching over to valium and it's done initially with evening doses. That's why I've made the suggestions I've made. If the dr isn't going to give you any more valium you may as well put it up and forget it. Just do it by lowering your ativan dose. Because the way you took it yesterday you ended taking more benzo for the day than you were taking on the ativan. That's why you slept so well. Just do this with the ativan so you don't get confused. Lower your dose by .5mg every four days or so. God bless.

By the way, I am actually in a more positive mood about the suboxone...I am excited that I will be tapering down (after the benzo). I looked back in my journal (that goes back a year ago) and I realize now that when I got down to a low dose of suboxone, I felt less anxiety and would take less of the ativan too. I think in my mind I just wanted to get off both and would just kinda jump around on the ativan. Looking back, I think ALOT of my withdrawal symptoms were from the benzos.....
    I think that when I am free from the benzos and when I start to taper the suboxone, there won't be this constant question in my mind of which drug I am withdrawing from. I get down sometimes because of this LONG process but everything in life is worth waiting for! I just keep telling myself that I've been on these a LONG time, so what's a few more months going to do!!!!! Thanks everyone for the support!

I took .5mg ativan, then 10mg valium last night. I kinda think it was too much. I was knocked out completely and had a really hard time getting up. I think tonight I should take .5mg ativan, and 7.5mg valium....and see how it goes. Maybe do that for a couple days, then go down to .5mg ativan, 5mg valium? How does that sound?

That's why I was hoping your dr would give you the right amount of diazepam so we would be able to do this properly. Your dr doesn't have any idea whatsoever how to do this type of benzo detox. I'm trying to bend the guidelines a little so you can benefit most from what diazepam you have. You obviously don't have enough, so we are just guessing to an extent.

Your idea is just fine. Drop the night dose to 7.5mg if that works for you. God bless.

Is motivation a part of withdrawal? I'm not having any withdrawal symptoms....just NO motivation to do anything. I'm really hoping this gets better!
    I'm really really hoping that this quick taper will go OK. In the past (almost every other month), I would always start out taking more of the lorazepam than prescribed, then when I got down I would taper off very quickly and I never had any problems other than a couple days of moodiness. I've always been on 1mg, until last month...she raised it to 2mgs. So I have only been on 2mg for a month (so I'm hoping that's in my favor as well). Before that, I was on .5mg-1mg (on and off) for about 2 years. Looking back, I wasn't on them last summer and was off them completely for about 4 months. So, hopefully that's in my favor as well.
    Man, if a scientist/doctor ever wanted to become extremely rich....they would invent a withdrawal pill! I know I know......wishful thinking.

tonight I am taking 7.5mg valium, .5mg ativan. Then tomorrow I am going down to 5mg valium, .5 ativan. I figured I'd stay there for 2-3 days, then go down to 5mg valium .25mg ativan for a few days. Then stop the ativan and be at 5mg valium for a couple days. Then, I would see how many pills I had left of valium and taper from there. I'm hoping (and wishing) that from there I can do 3/4 for a few nights, then 1/2, 1/4, then skip every other night for a few.....then stop! I know this is kinda quick, but I'm hoping for the best...

Sorry, I haven't posted lately....we had a wedding an were out of town. Anyway, still tapering. Not doing great, but it's OK. I've basically been tapering both ativan and diazepam at the same time. I'm almost out, so then I will just be back on the ativan....but at least down to only .5mg. I'm hoping this won't be horrible. Can't wait to get off of them!!!!

dogislove is offline New Member

Default light at the end of the tunnel

hello,

i have just gone through horrific withdrawal symptoms from going cold turkey off of 1.5 mg ativan (lorazepam). my psychiatrist never advised me regarding withdrawal; he certainly did not warn me about the dangers and horror of quitting cold turkey. i wish i could talk to you in person about this, because i'm better on the phone than via email. okay, first, let me tell you - do NOT reduce to .5 mg ativan. do not. switch to valium. (you'll learn more about how to do this safely from the websites i''ll provide below.) your body is already addicted to ativan, and before you know it, you will want more. and, even if you don't take more, you will start experiencing withdrawal symptoms because your body has built up a tolerance to the .5 mg and needs more to feel normal. if you haven't felt the anxiety, terror, restlessness, doom, inability to cope, et cetera, you are bound to - if you go cold turkey - and if you stay on the drug and take ever-increasing dosages just to feel normal. don't bother talking to your psychiatrist (unless he or she is exceptional.) s/he is not likely to tell you the steps you need to take to withdrawal safely. i have done a LOT of research about my own withdrawal symptoms and have the links below to share with you. they saved my life. by now, you've likely found out this information yourself. but, just in case you haven't, here they are. in brief, you will want to ween off of ativan with diazepam (valium). the details are very simple and on the links, particularly the first one. the day i switched from lorazepam to diazepam i went from a living hell to feeling almost completely normal again. now, for days later, i'm just fine. i am slowly weening off the diazepam. it is the safest, most successful way to get off of lorazepam. and i sleep like a baby. meaning a hell of a lot, coming from a serious insomniac. so, check out the first two sites first. then the other sites.

p.s. once i ween off of diazepam, i don't know what i will do to sleep. but i have a few months (the time it takes to ween off the drug) to make healthy lifestyle changes like meditation, yoga, exercise, drinking less, socializing more, doing things i love, eating well, taking safe herbs and supplements, confronting the issues that keep coming up while i'm lying in bed unable to sleep... in short, being proactive about my health (again, not like me, but it's easier than i thought it would be...) all this will reduce my stress and the less stress i have, the less insomnia i have.

the very best of luck to you.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

http://doitnow.org/pages/134.html

http://www.bcnc.org.uk/symptoms.html

confusedvette is offline Junior Member

is there a safe dose of ativan to take for anxiety without getting addicted?

Quote Originally Posted by confusedvette View Post
    is there a safe dose of ativan to take for anxiety without getting addicted?

Everyone is a little different but if you take ativan on a regular basis you will become dependent on it eventually. That is the bottom line. From that point forward it becomes a quality-of-life issue.

You've got to decide what is most important to you regarding the ativan. Is a drug dependency worth the benefit? Only you can answer that. Just understand that benzo dependency is serious, but so is anxiety for lots of people.

It's your call but if you take benzos you WILL become dependent eventually. That's a guarantee. God bless.

confusedvette is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Everyone is a little different but if you take ativan on a regular basis you will become dependent on it eventually. That is the bottom line. From that point forward it becomes a quality-of-life issue.

You've got to decide what is most important to you regarding the ativan. Is a drug dependency worth the benefit? Only you can answer that. Just understand that benzo dependency is serious, but so is anxiety for lots of people.

It's your call but if you take benzos you WILL become dependent eventually. That's a guarantee. God bless.
    so what IS safe to take for anxiety?

llpoole is offline New Member

Hi, just started taking .25 mg of ativan today, was on.5 mg for about a month..2 times a day, not taking anything else...per dr.

Iwantoff2013 is online now Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by llpoole View Post
    Hi, just started taking .25 mg of ativan today, was on.5 mg for about a month..2 times a day, not taking anything else...per dr.
    Hi there. If you have questions or need advice, it would be best to start a thread. This thread that you posted on is quite old and you probably won't receive many replies.

All the best,
    Kat