Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
taking vicodin after suboxone
    jenidarlin is offline Junior Member

Default taking vicodin after suboxone

Have a question. How long do you have to wait after your last suboxone to take a vicodin? Can't it be dangerous to take vicodin when you've been on suboxone for a while? Thanks.

Survivor23 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jenidarlin View Post
    Have a question. How long do you have to wait after your last suboxone to take a vicodin? Can't it be dangerous to take vicodin when you've been on suboxone for a while? Thanks.
    "Because buprenorphine is a partial opioid agonist, its opioid effects are limited compared with those produced by full opioid agonists, such as oxycodone . SUBOXONE also contains naloxone, an opioid antagonist.

The naloxone in SUBOXONE is there to discourage people from dissolving the tablet and injecting it. When SUBOXONE is placed under the tongue, as directed, very little naloxone reaches the bloodstream, so what the patient feels are the effects of the buprenorphine. However, if naloxone is injected, it can cause a person dependent on a full opioid agonist to quickly go into withdrawal." --
    When I went into my first doctors appoitment I was under the impression that if you took vicoden with the suboxone it would make you VERY ill. WRONG. My doctor says it wont make you sick...You just wont feel it at all - or have to TAKE MASS amounts to feel anything - because the buprenorphine binds to your receptors and blocks it.
    I think to feel any of the effects, you'd have to wait a week or so after you got off the suboxone and basically be in W.D from it. And even then you'd have to take a lot of it to get "high" (I think) After being on the suboxone a long time you're receptors are pretty much blocked, and the vicoden would do it's original purpose, kill pain.
    I guess my question to you would be, if you were on suboxone a long while (if you're talking about yourself) Why would you not know that information? My doctor explained all that to me the first day I saw him...
    AND one more thing, if you were on the suboxone to get off opiates, which I'm guessing so - I'd just stay away from the viks all together.
    Hope I helped you out a little.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 09-22-2014 at 10:37 PM.

butchy yost is offline Member

It depends on the amount of sub you take a day, if you are on 2mg or less, it should be about 24-36 hrs. The higher your dose the longer you have to wait before other opiates can get into your receptors.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

One other thing I'd like to mention is the hydrocodone will be quite weak after taking buprenorphene.Your tolerence will be higher then when you started suboxone.So if it took you 4 vicodins to reach the desire effect it will likely take 3 to 4 times that now.If your looking for long term pain relief then your best bet is to stay away from the weak opiates like hydrocodone (vicodin,norco's,loratab ect) and go with a stronger sustained release like MS Contin.....Good luck.....Dave

jenidarlin is offline Junior Member

[/QUOTE]I guess my question to you would be, if you were on suboxone a long while (if you're talking about yourself) Why would you not know that information? My doctor explained all that to me the first day I saw him...
    AND one more thing, if you were on the suboxone to get off opiates, which I'm guessing so - I'd just stay away from the viks all together.
    Hope I helped you out a little.[/QUOTE]

I started taking suboxone about a month ago. I was asking because my regular doctor, not the one who prescribed the sub, gave me 2.5 lortab for a muscle sprain/spasm, brought on by overextending my neck. I have pain from fibromyalgia that I deal with every day, the sub doesn't help with that so I also take soma. My doctor who prescribed the sub was not very thorough about the whole process, I knew a little about it because my sister has been taking it and from my own research but looking back she should have spent more time with me about the effects and what to expect, etc. I haven't gotten the lortab filled yet. I was just wondering because I don't like the way the sub makes me feel, it's hard to explain. It helped in the beginning, it basically did it's job to stay off the vicodin, but I still have legitimate pain and it's so expensive that I'm starting to think that it's not worth me taking it anymore if I am doing okay without it. I do better taking soma for the pain and I thought I might take the lortab for a short while, until this recent neck sprain pain goes away. I just didn't know if it was going to have a major interaction if I took the lortab like a day or so after the last suboxone. I started on the sub to help myself stop taking up to the 10 vics a day I got up too after about two years of taking it for fibro pain. It helped, and now I feel like I don't need the sub anymore. If I take this lortab, will I start taking more and more vics again? I don't want to go back to where I was before the sub. So I don't know what I'm going to do.

mbales5459 is offline Junior Member

Default lortab and opiates

I guess my question to you would be, if you were on suboxone a long while (if you're talking about yourself) Why would you not know that information? My doctor explained all that to me the first day I saw him...
    Hope I helped you out a little.[/QUOTE]

I started taking suboxone about a month ago. I was asking because my regular doctor, not the one who prescribed the sub, gave me 2.5 lortab for a muscle sprain/spasm, brought on by overextending my neck. I have pain from fibromyalgia that I deal with every day, the sub doesn't help with that so I also take soma. My doctor who prescribed the sub was not very thorough about the whole process, I knew a little about it because my sister has been taking it and from my own research but looking back she should have spent more time with me about the effects and what to expect, etc. I haven't gotten the lortab filled yet. I was just wondering because I don't like the way the sub makes me feel, it's hard to explain. It helped in the beginning, it basically did it's job to stay off the vicodin, but I still have legitimate pain and it's so expensive that I'm starting to think that it's not worth me taking it anymore if I am doing okay without it. I do better taking soma for the pain and I thought I might take the lortab for a short while, until this recent neck sprain pain goes away. I just didn't know if it was going to have a major interaction if I took the lortab like a day or so after the last suboxone. I started on the sub to help myself stop taking up to the 10 vics a day I got up too after about two years of taking it for fibro pain. It helped, and now I feel like I don't need the sub anymore. If I take this lortab, will I start taking more and more vics again? I don't want to go back to where I was before the sub. So I don't know what I'm going to do.[/QUOTE]

Dear Jenidarlin
    after 25 years of taking every pain medicine there is, its very difficult to manage taking opiates especially by yourself because its so easy to pop a couple of pills in your mouth to get out of pain. My first question and only you would know this is there something else causing you pain in your life and i dont mean medically or physically, I mean mental pain that can be extinguished by taking a pill. I can pretty much guarantee you that if you start taking the lortab again, you will not only get hooked on it but drugs are like alcohol in that they start where you left off and beginning to build a tolerance very quickly. I would suggest some physical therapy I didnt see anywhere that you tried PT, it really works, taking opiates is just like taking a drink if your an alcoholic, take 1 lortab and you have a huge chance of abusing or using the drug again and its impossible to get off that rollercoaster or hamster cage unless you just decide to not take any opiates at all. There are some non opiate meds for pain such as toradol but its not for chronic pain use and ultram but I never found ultram to really do anything for me. Please check the new muscle pain creams that were just approved by the fda such as voltaren that you can rub on and its up to 98 percent absorbed by the body for local pain. Good luck to you PS remember that for the most part when you have taken opiates stick to the doctors recommended dosage, 3 pills are not always better they are just more and sometimes can even be dangerous
    Iluv2smile likes this.

double_a is offline New Member

Default curiousity

until happening upon this forum, I had NEVER heard of ANYONE taking suboxone for vicodin. I have known a fair amount of people who have been on both, but never on subs FOR vicodin. I understand that vicodin is addictive, and has the same good stuff as oxycontin and >>>>>>, but I've never heard of anyone getting dopesick, or having withdrawals or whatever you want to call it. Sort of curious as to how much vicodin one would be taking in order to get on suboxone for it. Personally, I am perscribed two 8mg a day, and that was coming off of almost a year of doing at least 4 bags of >>>>>> a day to stay well, and as many as 15-20 on a good day (well, bad day i suppose). I guess I'm just wondering the correlation (<- is that the right word?) between them. If someone is bored and chatty like me, and would like to help satisfy my curiosity, I suppose I might like that.

squish83 is offline New Member

Default Thanks for the help and Suboxone for Vicodin

Quote Originally Posted by double_a View Post
    until happening upon this forum, I had NEVER heard of ANYONE taking suboxone for vicodin. I have known a fair amount of people who have been on both, but never on subs FOR vicodin. I understand that vicodin is addictive, and has the same good stuff as oxycontin and >>>>>>, but I've never heard of anyone getting dopesick, or having withdrawals or whatever you want to call it. Sort of curious as to how much vicodin one would be taking in order to get on suboxone for it. Personally, I am perscribed two 8mg a day, and that was coming off of almost a year of doing at least 4 bags of >>>>>> a day to stay well, and as many as 15-20 on a good day (well, bad day i suppose). I guess I'm just wondering the correlation (<- is that the right word?) between them. If someone is bored and chatty like me, and would like to help satisfy my curiosity, I suppose I might like that.
    To satisfy your curiosity, I was taking between 20-25 10 mg Vicodin a day, and occasionally I would get prescribed either Oxy 30 IR or Oxy 60mg and take 10 and 7 a day respectively. So I had a pretty bad habit. I have arthritis in my knees and back, and NSAIDS never cut it, and I got tired of always runing out of pills. When I didn't have them the WD was horrible. diarhea, cramps, chills, cold sweats, shaking, vomiting. So I heard about Suboxone and just started taking it about 2 weeks ago. I was out of Vics, in withdrawals, so made the dr. appt. Was started on 12 mg Sub a day. Maybe that helps you some, not sure if that was the "why" you were looking for.
    I wanted to say thank you because I came across this thread because I'm majorly craving the vics, and was wondering the same thing, how long did I have to wait. I read the responses and they gave me the mental focus back and support I needed to not go into the bottle of 120 10 mg Vics my bf has. So thank you, without knowing it, you kept me from relapsing this morning in a big way!

princessgrace16 is offline New Member

Unhappy Oh yeah, it happens!!

ALRIGHT...I ENDED UP BECOMING ADDICTED TO VICODIN AFTER TAKING A FEW HERE OR THERE OF THE WEAK 5/500mg FOR A SEVERE TOOTH ACHE THAT WOULD ALWAYS LEAD TO A MIGRANE. I NEVER HAVE EVER BEEN ADDICTED TO ANYTHING EVER BEOFRE, SMOKING, DRINKING EVEN AFTER DOING BOTH EXCESSIVLY FOR YEARS AS A TEEN TO EARLY 20'S. I EVEN RECREATIONALLY TOOK VIC'S DURING THOSE YEARS AND WAS TOLD THAT DRINKING BEER WITH THEM WAS GREAT. NOT FOR ME, DIDN'T DO ANYTHING AND SO I FIGURED VIC'S WERE GAY. UNTIL I BECAME NEEDY UPON THEM FOR MY CONSTANT TOOTHACHE. BUT I DIDNT WANT TO OVERDOSE AND DIE (ALSO A HYPOCONDRIACH) LOL, SO, NO MATTER HOW MUCH PAIN I WAS IN, I WOULD ONLY TAKE 2. EACH TIME I DID THIS FOR ABOUT A MONTH EVER DAY AROUND 6 HOURS AFTER I TOOK MY SECOND VIC, I WOULD FEEL BAD! I MEAN REAL BAD AND COULDN'T REALLY GET THROUGH THE DAY. AT THAT POINT I WAS TOLD, IT IS BECAUSE IM IN WITHDRAWL?! SO I WOULD TAKE 2 MORE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY AND BE FINE. AFTER A FEW DAYS OF THIS, THE "HIGH" STARTED HAPPENING. 3 YEARS AFTER TAKING THEM MY HUSBAND HAD BACK SURGERY AND WAS PRESCRIBED NORCOS 10/325 MG VICODIN. I ENDED UP GETTIN UP TO 15 A DAY OF THOSE, EVEN CHEWING AND PLACING UNDER MY TOUNGE TO GET IN MY BLOOD QUICKER. NO MATTER HOW BAD THE WITHDRAWL WOULD EVER BE WHEN I RAN OUT, I SWORE TO MYSELF I WOULD NEVER TAKE ANYTHING STRONGER, OR INJECT THEM. SO NO MATTER HOW BAD MY ADDICTION BECAME, WHICH IT DID, I NEVER DID THOSE THINGS. I WAS ON NORCOS FOR 2 1/2 YRS UNTIL MY HUSBAND WHO WAS ALSO ADDICTED, SAUGHT TREATMENT AND GOT ON SUBOXONE ( AS YOU KNOW AN OPIOD AGNOSTIC) AND VICODIN IS AN OPIATE, SO THEY PRESCRIBE IT FOR OPIOD PILL DEPENDENCY AS WELL. I HAVE BEEN ON 8MG X 3TABS IN THE AM FOR A YEAR, AND NOW, AFTER MY HUSBAND GETTIN LAID OFF I.E.) NO INSURANCE, AND HAVING TO PAY IN FULL ONE TIME= $ 1,000, I HAVE APPLIED FOR STATE AIDE, AND AM HAVING A HARD TIME GETTING ANY MEDICATION. I AM NOW ON MY FIRST DAY OF WITHDRAWL FROM SUBOXONE (AS IT DOES HAVE OPIATES IN IT) AND AM REALLY CONCIDERING GOING BACK TO VICS. I HAVE KIDS AND A CAREER AND AM A HOUSEWIFE, AND CAN NOT FUNCTION LIKE THIS, WHICH HAPPENS TO LAST FOR AT LEAST A WEEK & A HELF FOR ME. THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL I CAN PUT MY KIDS THROUGH THAT. LAYING ON THE COUCH UNABLE TO MOVE ETC.....
    Last edited by ddcmod; 06-29-2010 at 11:27 PM.

Anonymous Guest

i consider myself to be a hard core opiate abuser, have injected pretty much everything, opium, >>>>>>, morphine, methadone.

omg i cant beleive after a couple of years on PILLS, you have been on 24mg of subs, thats why so many people say subs should only be used for certain cases. you traded a relatively minor habit, which couldve been dealt with, for a hard core one, and at a horrendously high dose for too long.

if you read around here, the trick to subs, is to wean down, and also start on as low as possible to keep you out of withdrawl. at the most i was on 12mg and it was more than enough.

i feel bad for you pillheads out there, turning to something far worse, and doctors are causing this.

you are going to need to find some more subs, there is no way cold turkey off that much is do able. you are goin to suffer.

why dont you pay for one more lot, and taper using them. its about the only way your gonna get off them.

all the best
    cheeky

MissyStephy is offline New Member

Default You shouldn't have to live with pain ............

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor23 View Post
    "Because buprenorphine is a partial opioid agonist, its opioid effects are limited compared with those produced by full opioid agonists, such as oxycodone or >>>>>>. SUBOXONE also contains naloxone, an opioid antagonist.

The naloxone in SUBOXONE is there to discourage people from dissolving the tablet and injecting it. When SUBOXONE is placed under the tongue, as directed, very little naloxone reaches the bloodstream, so what the patient feels are the effects of the buprenorphine. However, if naloxone is injected, it can cause a person dependent on a full opioid agonist to quickly go into withdrawal." --- Copied from the suboxone website....www.suboxone.com

When I went into my first doctors appoitment I was under the impression that if you took vicoden with the suboxone it would make you VERY ill. WRONG. My doctor says it wont make you sick...You just wont feel it at all - or have to TAKE MASS amounts to feel anything - because the buprenorphine binds to your receptors and blocks it.
    I think to feel any of the effects, you'd have to wait a week or so after you got off the suboxone and basically be in W.D from it. And even then you'd have to take a lot of it to get "high" (I think) After being on the suboxone a long time you're receptors are pretty much blocked, and the vicoden would do it's original purpose, kill pain.
    Hope I helped you out a little.
    Maybe this person got the suboxen on the street because they didn't want to give their name to the doctor and have a record of being on suboxen. At any rate, it doesn't matter, they are doing the right thing by taking the suboxen instead of abusing drugs. My problem with this response is that a person should NOT have to live in pain because they have a drug problem. Everyone in recovery always says never drink again, never do this again, never do that again, and by the way .. if you have a legitimate problem that you need the medicine for, just suffer. This is not the answer. This causes more relapses. I have an uncle who was an alcoholic and he occasionally abused his prescriptions. At 44 years old, he moved back in with his mother, and the family rallied together to help him. For a couple of years, it was crazy. We had to take EVERYTHING out of the house that had alcohol in it because he would drink it. I mean EVERYTHING. Hairspray, mouthwash, perfume, and body splash. He even drank windshield washer fluid one time and almost died !! The point was, he had mental health problems that needed to be dealt with and he NEEDED his prescriptions. Everything they tried to substitute for the narcotics DID NOT WORK. Finally, we made a decision as a family. We were going to give him the narcotics as prescribed and WE were going to regulate him and make sure he only took what he needed. Yes, treating someone in their late 40's like this is ridiculous, but the point is, IT WORKED. We know he wasn't getting drugs or alcohol anywhere else because he didn't drive and he was on SSI. He never left the house. Many years before we had caught him sneaking out a couple times, but the store was a VERY long walk and nobody caught him again. There were like 7 of us living in a HUGE house, so at some point, one of us would have caught him. It got easier for him as time went on. People are creatures of habit. They enjoy a routine. So why am I telling you all of this? Because, if someone with a chemical dependency has family members that will tough it out with them and help them, they can successfully use their medication as prescribed. They will always have a "monkey" on their back telling them to take an extra one, etc. but, if a person REALLY wants to change, they will say hey, I'm having strong thoughts of take an extra pill. Just becuase you have a chemical dependency, that doesn't mean you should be denied medicationyou truly need. The point is, there's still MUCH work and research that needs to be done for a better answer to the disease of addiction. Before you tell a human being to, "just go ahead and suffer", think about what you are actually saying.
    Last edited by MissyStephy; 07-29-2010 at 05:38 PM.
    karina21 likes this.

jammymommy is offline Senior Member

I must say, missystephy, I have to agree with a lot of what you say. I don't regret one bit going on pain medication when my fibromyalgia pain peaked so high that I was in complete AGONY. I really wanted to die. One DR. said he would give me FOUR percocets a month I was in crisis & found a compassionate Dr' who helped me. Thankfully I am now fully recovered & on suboxone to get off my pain meds. (see the book: What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia by Dr. Paul St. Amand & Claudia Marek).

jammy

OXYmom is offline Member

Default I painfully agree

Quote Originally Posted by jammymommy View Post
    I must say, missystephy, I have to agree with a lot of what you say. I don't regret one bit going on pain medication when my fibromyalgia pain peaked so high that I was in complete AGONY. I really wanted to die. One DR. said he would give me FOUR percocets a month I was in crisis & found a compassionate Dr' who helped me. Thankfully I am now fully recovered & on suboxone to get off my pain meds. (see the book: What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia by Dr. Paul St. Amand & Claudia Marek).

jammy
    For Missysthephy- I kind of see what you are saying. I think so much pain can be tolerated but then a person who gets past the tolerable point will do anything (including suicide) to escape the pain. I know firsthand as my brother committed suicide on Christmas Day '09. He couldn't take the emotional/physical pain any longer so he checked out. I am still angry that he got to give up but I can't. Does that make any sense at all? I guess what I mean is that if someone has a choice between life without pain or with less pain versus not ever getting relief, I would rather them take the drugs.

Rickp is offline New Member

Yeah see I always thought that suboxone and methadone were for people on oxys or >>>>>>. My habbit got really bad, way out of my hands. My doc started me on lortab 7.5/500 3x daily about 4 years ago for a knee injury i've had for 10 years. I started out ok and then about a year ago I couldn't stop myself anymore. I was taking 30-35mg of hydrocodone twice a day so around 60mg a day. Sometimes I could only get enough for one dose (35mg a day) but a lot of times it was 60mg a day. Anyways, I would take percocet and morphine on the side too. My tolerance was high for most opiates, so >> take 25mg of percocet and 60mg of morphine(pill). So I finally said enough is enough im tired of doing this (even tho the high was awesome) so im checking in. Doc put me on suboxone, started me out at 8mg, awhile later it wasn't doing much so he bumped me up to 12mg a day. I was on 12mg a day for awhile and then gradually worked my way down to 4mg a day. Well my whole point is this, an opiate is an opiate. The potential for abuse/addiction is there with whatever the medicine might be. Some opiates are stronger than others sure, but an addiction is an addiction. 60mg of hydrocodone is an addiction, just like some of the other people have said what they took and how much they took. Granted a lot of these "lower level pain killers" wont necessarily get you hooked quite as quickly as other opiates, once your hooked its not easy coming off.

empeace is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by OXYmom View Post
    For Missysthephy- I kind of see what you are saying. I think so much pain can be tolerated but then a person who gets past the tolerable point will do anything (including suicide) to escape the pain. I know firsthand as my brother committed suicide on Christmas Day '09. He couldn't take the emotional/physical pain any longer so he checked out. I am still angry that he got to give up but I can't. Does that make any sense at all? I guess what I mean is that if someone has a choice between life without pain or with less pain versus not ever getting relief, I would rather them take the drugs.
    This is my first time as a member on this site, but not my first time on the site, so please bear with me. I was just looking around on the web for info on suboxone/subtex and how soon afterwards you could take hydrocodone. I was reading some of the posts and just pining for the help that I know I deserve. I have been addicted to.. well, basically everything, at some point, but not a one single thing ever got a hold on me like opiates did. I have shot, sniffed and eaten the pills. I just wanted to say that I believe suboxone was solely created to help individuals get off of ANY type of opiates, whether they be pills or powders, etc. I live in Central Oklahoma, my larger surrounding cities being Tulsa, Stillwater. If anyone could recommend to me a suboxone clinic that accepts soonercare/medicaid I would greatly appreciate it. Or one that's fairly cheap. My dad, an addict and baby boomer in constant agonizing pain from a lifetime of hardships and hard work seriously needs help in all ways. It was just last month when I realized Suboxone was the right drug for me, ....and now him too, relieving him in a (what seems to be) impossible way-for how have we not already come to find this help for him already? And me having taken after my dad we have similar issues and lifestyles all the while being completely different people in different places having just met back up again earlier this year. It seems though that every which way I go is wrong. The offices I have called tell me that I need to be referred by a PCP. I haven't yet seen my new PCP and when I do...what exactly am I supposed to tell him to make him think that I actually do need what I say I need, being so young. IDK, any words of advice, wisdom or kindness would be greatly appreciated! Keep on keepin on all of you. -E.

empeace is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by empeace View Post
    This is my first time as a member on this site, but not my first time on the site, so please bear with me. I was just looking around on the web for info on suboxone/subtex and how soon afterwards you could take hydrocodone. I was reading some of the posts and just pining for the help that I know I deserve. I have been addicted to.. well, basically everything, at some point, but not a one single thing ever got a hold on me like opiates did. I have shot, sniffed and eaten the pills. I just wanted to say that I believe suboxone was solely created to help individuals get off of ANY type of opiates, whether they be pills or powders, etc. I live in Central Oklahoma, my larger surrounding cities being Tulsa, Stillwater. If anyone could recommend to me a suboxone clinic that accepts soonercare/medicaid I would greatly appreciate it. Or one that's fairly cheap. My dad, an addict and baby boomer in constant agonizing pain from a lifetime of hardships and hard work seriously needs help in all ways. It was just last month when I realized Suboxone was the right drug for me, ....and now him too, relieving him in a (what seems to be) impossible way-for how have we not already come to find this help for him already? And me having taken after my dad we have similar issues and lifestyles all the while being completely different people in different places having just met back up again earlier this year. It seems though that every which way I go is wrong. The offices I have called tell me that I need to be referred by a PCP. I haven't yet seen my new PCP and when I do...what exactly am I supposed to tell him to make him think that I actually do need what I say I need, being so young. IDK, any words of advice, wisdom or kindness would be greatly appreciated! Keep on keepin on all of you. -E.
    Oh and to quickly explain the situation that I am in: I have been running around the states since I was fourteen, trying to find a home and picking up a new addiction at every milemaker. I never quite stuck around any one place long enough to get any sort of help, for anything. So instead I've writhed in pain, cold sweats and fought off the sensations while trying to act normal to not get kicked off the neighbors couch again. So now I'm in a house with my boyfriend and my dad got out of jail, we brought him to where we are and since he's moved in he's been the only one working. Boyfriend got fired the day after he signed the lease, I had a rough pregnancy and ended up just recently miscarrying and dad's been the only one to hold us together, except for lately. The rent is too far over due, were too tired and sick to care about later and now, it's too cold to sleep in a van down by the river. But on the brighter side, I do (for the moment) have soonercare. So I really really need to know how to use it. Thank you for your time.

goldiej is offline New Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by squish83 View Post
    To satisfy your curiosity, I was taking between 20-25 10 mg Vicodin a day, and occasionally I would get prescribed either Oxy 30 IR or Oxy 60mg and take 10 and 7 a day respectively. So I had a pretty bad habit. I have arthritis in my knees and back, and NSAIDS never cut it, and I got tired of always runing out of pills. When I didn't have them the WD was horrible. diarhea, cramps, chills, cold sweats, shaking, vomiting. So I heard about Suboxone and just started taking it about 2 weeks ago. I was out of Vics, in withdrawals, so made the dr. appt. Was started on 12 mg Sub a day. Maybe that helps you some, not sure if that was the "why" you were looking for.
    I wanted to say thank you because I came across this thread because I'm majorly craving the vics, and was wondering the same thing, how long did I have to wait. I read the responses and they gave me the mental focus back and support I needed to not go into the bottle of 120 10 mg Vics my bf has. So thank you, without knowing it, you kept me from relapsing this morning in a big way!
    Wow!! Good for you! I'm so happy that this site encouraged you. I don't know where you are now or what you are doing, but as for me... I too came to this site with intentions of possible relapsing on husbands Vics from a recent surgery. Because of your post, I think I'll stick to the subs!!

goldiej is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by squish83 View Post
    WOWEE!! 15 to 20 bags a day!! I can't imagine what you have been through! And good for you for getting on subs. But to answer your question, I have been SOOOOO addicted to Hydrocodone. For 2 years. And I know it's all relative to what you have been through, but I am a mom to a kindergardener and a 3 year old, and my life was falling apart. I would try to stop the medication and by the middle of the day I was sweating and sick and had the runs. I was CRYING!! It was horrible. I finally owned up to my problem despite the fact that I was so humiliated that I had let it get so out of control. I once took 90 pills in one day. I would take about 10 at a time. I would do the cold water extraction to get the tylenol out and just drink the liquid. I mean, I probably would have done >>>>>> if I knew where to get it and how to do it. But anyway, I went to detox, but they kick you out way before withdrawl is over. And for me, I didn't have the option of a 30 day program, because I have kids, and no parents or siblings or grandparents. I seriously am an only child and all of my grandparents are passed away and my parents are estranged from me and have zero money. There was no way in my mind at the time that me going to rehab was a better option. (Some could have debated that I'm sure, but I was messed up.) So I had about Subs, but I thought it was just for "junkies" (Sorry to name call), and had put myself into a different class than, although that is what I had become. Finally I realized how sick I was. So now I have been on Subs for almost 2 months (plus therapy) and I have weaned down to 2 mgs a day. I started at 8 and went down immediately to 4. And now 2. So I'm hoping to be off by spring. I don't want to push it.

Blessings to all! Especially you!

waitingforsomelight is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysod View Post
    i consider myself to be a hard core opiate abuser, have injected pretty much everything, opium, >>>>>>, morphine, methadone.

omg i cant beleive after a couple of years on PILLS, you have been on 24mg of subs, thats why so many people say subs should only be used for certain cases. you traded a relatively minor habit, which couldve been dealt with, for a hard core one, and at a horrendously high dose for too long.

if you read around here, the trick to subs, is to wean down, and also start on as low as possible to keep you out of withdrawl. at the most i was on 12mg and it was more than enough.

i feel bad for you pillheads out there, turning to something far worse, and doctors are causing this.

you are going to need to find some more subs, there is no way cold turkey off that much is do able. you are goin to suffer.

why dont you pay for one more lot, and taper using them. its about the only way your gonna get off them.

all the best
    cheeky

Ppl on pills don't "taper off" their pill because they are addicted to them! Jeesh. I tried so many times but I would end up just using them more. Tell a >>>>>> addict to wean off >>>>>> then...not easy. An opiate is an opiate and also please don't "feel bad" for us pillheads. Suboxone saved my life. I was on suboxone for two 1\2 weeks ad now I am completely clean. Yeah suboxone is way stronger but it somewhat made me sick which made me not even want to attempt to abuse suboxone or take more. I stayed on 2mg twice a day then 2mg a day to nothing. Worked great for me and that's what it is for. To help you wth addiction.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by waitingforsomelight View Post
    Ppl on pills don't "taper off" their pill because they are addicted to them! Jeesh. I tried so many times but I would end up just using them more. Tell a >>>>>> addict to wean off >>>>>> then...not easy. An opiate is an opiate and also please don't "feel bad" for us pillheads. Suboxone saved my life. I was on suboxone for two 1\2 weeks ad now I am completely clean. Yeah suboxone is way stronger but it somewhat made me sick which made me not even want to attempt to abuse suboxone or take more. I stayed on 2mg twice a day then 2mg a day to nothing. Worked great for me and that's what it is for. To help you wth addiction.
    if you happened to read my post correctly i WAS talking about using subs to taper, not pills you idiot...

Suboxowned is offline Member

[QUOTE=cheekysod;350023]if you happened to read my post correctly i WAS talking about using subs to taper, not pills you idiot...[/QUOte

I have to wonder why???? Why do people have to be rude to others????

Anonymous Guest

um only coz that poster obviously cant read what i was saying... i was talking about tapering off subs, not pills. and the poster chose to give me a hard time.... you can only be polite so long. i was gracious in my original post, and this "person' chose to point out something that was incorrect. so yeh.... read again please.....

thats why....

Anonymous Guest

ok, dear waiting for some light. if you had bothered to read my post correctly, i mentioned TAPERING OF SUBS. not pills. as i have been a junkie nearly half my life i realize its impossibe to taper off >>>>>>, i have tried and failed. and methadone. and pills.....

so i used subs to successfully get clean... so please read the posts correctly before you come on here with 5 posts and try to correct me.....

THANK YOU

suboxoned please read...

korbon is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by waitingforsomelight View Post
    Ppl on pills don't "taper off" their pill because they are addicted to them! Jeesh. I tried so many times but I would end up just using them more.
    Don't project your failures on other people.

I was addicted to Methadone and successfully tapered myself off (without Subs) and so have countless others.

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysod View Post
    um only coz that poster obviously cant read what i was saying... i was talking about tapering off subs, not pills. and the poster chose to give me a hard time.... you can only be polite so long. i was gracious in my original post, and this "person' chose to point out something that was incorrect. so yeh.... read again please.....

thats why....
    I'm pretty sure that you've never actually posted on my thread, but I always read what you post on other people's. You're honest and blunt. You really seem to know what you're talking about, and you don't sugar-coat anything. And I happen to LOVE that about you. Ava <3

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brwneydgrl2384 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that you've never actually posted on my thread, but I always read what you post on other people's. You're honest and blunt. You really seem to know what you're talking about, and you don't sugar-coat anything. And I happen to LOVE that about you. Ava <3
    THANKS.... and i see how far you have come and good on ya girl.... and i also see how much you are supporting ss and others too, inspirational...

keep it up

krason53 is offline New Member

I'm having the same problem here. I was put on Vicodin for 2 1/2 years by my doctor before he ever said anything about a pain management doctor. So after 2 1/2 years I finally went to a pain management doctor who did an MRI to find out why I had such bad back and leg pain to where I could hardly walk and it turned out I had 5 discs in my lower back that were falling a part so the pain management doctor had injected 5 shots into me 3 days after the MRI and I was 100% pain free but left with a vicodin addiction. I went to a rehab and detoxed off the vics but they only kept me 7 days. When I got home I was still ok for a month but then the pain all came back and I was put on the Subs 8/2 3 times a day. It worked on the pain for a little while then just stopped working but I have since had the nerve endings on the left side of my back singed (burnt) and on the 17th of Sept I am due to have the right side done but the pain has once again become unbearable so until the procedure takes place I wanted to go back on the Vics (it seems to be the only ting that helps the pain at all) but I would have to stay on the vics for at least 10-14 days after the procedure and then go back on the Subs to help me get back off the Vics and then I have to be weened off the Subs. I want to start the Vics again but am waiting at least 12 or more hours since I last took the Sub, I will hold out longer if I can because I am afraid of mixing them but will stay in bed as long as I can before taking any Vics. All I want to do is be pain free and drug free. I hate how the pills make me feel but the pain is just to much so again, once I get the final procedure done I will go from the Vics back to the Subs and then God willing back to my usual happy self. My question is, is it safe to go back on the Vics after at least 12 or more hours of being off the Subs?

winged eagle is offline Advanced Member

Hi krason,
    Welcome to the forum :-)
    In answer to your question, no, you won't get sick by taking a Vic after having taken sub 12 hours prior, BUT:
    You won't feel it. You'd have to take massive amounts just to break through. Plus, there really is no need to take anything just 12 hours after your last sub dose. It's got an over 70 hour half life, which means it should hold you well for at least a couple of days. I understand you're in pain and want to feel some relief. Unfortunately, I recommend you not take Vics so soon after sub only because it won't work, you'll take too much and eventually make the process a lot harder later.
    Wait as much as you can, and you'll reap the rewards.
    But in answer to your question, no, as far as I know, you won't get sick AFTER sub. Just don't take sub soon AFTER Vic. That WILL get you into precipitated withdrawal. Been there, it's beyond awful.
    Be careful, and good luck.
    Last edited by winged eagle; 09-09-2012 at 01:38 AM.

Sebsideva is offline New Member

I was only taking about 10 to 15 regular Vicodins per day. I never experienced major major withdraws . But, my addiction was there, i did anything to get it, dr. shop, had unnecessary & costly dental work done, etc. I must say, THAT was insanity! I felt like I was in a coma for two or three days!! Then I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. To be PRESCRIBED pills that got me way higher than any Vicodin I'd ever taken!! I was on Sub four years. Still am-- but tapering off now.
    So, yes, Sub is used to help people with Vicodin addictions. Just be VERY careful
    how much you are prescribed!! Needless to say, I switched Sub docs after I woke up from my coma! Now I don't have insurance anymore, and am currently tapering off. T'he "high" from Sub lasted for me for about 2 and a half years, then it was COMPLETELY GONE. I think what I really need after this whole fiasco is to solely focus on my depression & anxiety.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 09-22-2014 at 10:38 PM.

cgrimm1981 is offline New Member

Default hey sebsideva

I would like to ask you a question.i am in the same situation you just described but I've only been taking subs 7 months. I take 12mg a day but I've started wondering how or when do I need to get off subs. I definitely don't wanna yet lol but I know there's gonna be a time I'm gonna want to quit subs also. You have any words of wisdom towards this since you to was in the same situation. Thanks for any advice in advance.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 09-22-2014 at 10:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast