suboxone w/d's
    thogan is offline Junior Member

Default suboxone w/d's

I was taking 15-20 hydro 10's for about 5 years when i decided it was time to get off. I went to the Dr. and he prescribed sub for me and really didnt give me a dosage. A flag should have went up but I was ready to feel better that I took one there in the office and felt better in just 15 minutes. Boy what a wonder drug. I played it what I thought was safe and never took more than 6 mgs a day. I got down to 4 mgs a day and then 2 mgs a day but wasnt on this long when I ran out 3 days ago. I have been miserable for the past 2 days. Sweating, leg restlessness and just feel weak. I take 1/2 mg of lorazapam to help me sleep. By just what I have posted, any ideas how much longer this will last? Oh I shouldnt forget no appetite and upset stomach. thanks

dago77 is offline Senior Member

Hey thogan, maybe you could try going back to the doc and explaining what happend. Get your hands on some more subs and get with some of the guys on hear who have a lot of experience with tapering off. It seems like your doctor does not know enough to perscibe them to you having no plan, not even a real intro??? Im sure Robert or Musicman will be responding to you soon. Thats who you need to talk to if you can get more. Sounds like you will either have to get more subs and do it right, or just wing it until your better. The subs have a pretty long half life so the w/d may get worse form here before they get better. But from what ive read I think your pretty close. Im sure you have probally read all about it by now. Good luck, im sure someone will be on to give you more advise soon.

Ryan

musicman48 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by thogan View Post
    I was taking 15-20 hydro 10's for about 5 years when i decided it was time to get off. I went to the Dr. and he prescribed sub for me and really didnt give me a dosage. A flag should have went up but I was ready to feel better that I took one there in the office and felt better in just 15 minutes. Boy what a wonder drug. I played it what I thought was safe and never took more than 6 mgs a day. I got down to 4 mgs a day and then 2 mgs a day but wasnt on this long when I ran out 3 days ago. I have been miserable for the past 2 days. Sweating, leg restlessness and just feel weak. I take 1/2 mg of lorazapam to help me sleep. By just what I have posted, any ideas how much longer this will last? Oh I shouldnt forget no appetite and upset stomach. thanks
    Is there any chance that you could get more sub so that we could give you a proper taper.You have jumped at too high a dose.You will have a few weeks of side effects at least.In my opinion.The Thomas recipe can help your w/d symptoms.Lots of hot showers too.Best bet is to get more sub and taper properly.Let us know if we can help.

musicman, thogan here, I am on day 8 now and I havent slept in 3 days and i have to go back to work. I am going to try and get some more suboxone today. Would very much appreciate the proper tapering down schedule. I hate to give up on my 8 days but I dont want to lose my job either. Thanks

Robert_325 is offline Retired

I agree that you just need some more time on the subs and you'll be fine. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

I think you misunderstood. i am 8 days clean of sub. found out this morning my doc is not in til tomorrow afternoon. i tried melatonin for sleep and it didnt help me. any more thoughts?

babydaddy724 is offline Member

Thogan, I know its hard with having to work and all but in my opinion I think you should try to stop since you are 8 days in. There is a fine line there and if it were just a couple days my opinion on the matter would be different. You should start to feel better within a few days now. If you made it 8 days the worst has to be over. But if you still feel the need to get more subs that is ok too. Everyone here knows how terrible w/d is and there is no shame in wanting it to go away due to a job, kids, or whatever... I can only imagine how tough it was to even get to 8 days and I think deep down you can do it. Try to keep in mind that it will be over shortly and how awsome would that be to be able to sleep, work, socialize, live life, without taking medicine to do so... hope this helps..

Yes it does help. Thanks for the support.

cath12 is offline Junior Member

Thrgon :im going through the same thing just cutting down to 2mgs two times aday and sometimes a sliver at night to take the edge off im speaking to my dr thursday about what will help me throught he detox i don't know if ambien is okay but as long as i sleep ill be okay.. And you will be too.if i were you i'd call your dr and maybe get some sleep.sometimes having some thing to do helps.i bass fish,clean the house at midnight or what ever i too am waiting along as i can to get back to work but monies are tight im out and it is causing trouble in my life...i'll be free of dr's and i go to 12 step meetings to stay focused so i don't revert to old thiking and that great world of denial as someone already said to you.. Please stick it out and get something to sleep...you'll get through it im here to support you. WITH EVERYONE ELSE. Cath
    Last edited by cath12; 03-10-2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: VIEWED AND CORRECTED

cath12 is offline Junior Member

Default Hope you don't give up

WILL BE HERE FOR YOU WE ARE GOING THROUGHT HE SAME THING YOUR IN THE RIGHT PLACE...DENIAL AND OLD THINKING AND BEHAVIORS GOT ME HERE AND SUPPORT GROUPS LIKE NA/AA CAN KEEP US FOCUSED..... ON THAT BETTER PLACE WE ARE SEEKING.. KEEP ON KEEPING ON AS MR ZIG ZIG USE TO SAY CATH

Thanks for the encouragement CATH 12. I found that some chamomile tea helps me sleep. Imagine that, I never have cared for hot tea. The phamicists' told me about it yesterday. When I told her I had 8days she told me not to EVEN think about going back. Support means much and we all need it to survive. Thanks again and God Bless All. THogan

I am on day 9 off of the subs and it looks like it will take 12-14 days before I get any energy back. Day 8 was better than day 9 but I guess this is what to expect. As soon as I get through this, I will let everyone know what to expect or at least what I went through.

NewGuy99 is offline Junior Member

thogan,

I have a question if you don't mind.

I have 4 days sub free after taking 2mgs/day for almost four months. Last night I wasn't able to sleep very well at all, but the first few nights of not taking it I slept roughly 10 hours each night.

In 52 minutes I will have exactly 96 hours (4 days) clean after taking 1mg last Saturday.

On to my question...

You mentioned that you were down from 6 mg to 4 mg, then down to 2mg but not for that long before you stopped.

May I ask exactly how long you were down to 2mg? And how long were you taking 4mgs?

I feel like after 4 days most of the sub should be out of my system, and perhaps not sleeping more than an hour or two last night is proof of that. But I'm hoping to get an idea of how I'll feel over the next few days based on how you're feeling after taking ~4mg's for however long you did.

I'm feeling lazy and whatnot, but I'm not experiencing the intense withdrawals I was expecting. I'm thankful for this, but I'm always thinking that tomorrow the bad withdawals will come and it's not very fun having sit around and wait for them lol.

4 days seems like an eternity and I'm proud of myself for getting this far (congrats on your 9 days btw!!), I just wish I knew what the next few days will be like.

Thanks in advance if you're able to answer my quesitons to you.

New Guy. Congratulations on your 4 days. Believe me when I tell you I know what it is all about. I didnt drop down to 2 mgs until right at the end, meaning the last 3-4 days. That was my mistake. I still feel very tired even though I did get 6-7 hours of sleep last night for the first time in the past 4 nights. I found that chamamile tea helps me sleep. It also helps that I have a praying wife on my side. Hang in there and ask away. I will be more than happy to keep you posted. thogan

new guy. to the rest of your question. I was on 6 mgs for roughly a month when I dropped down to 4 mgs. I was on the 4 mgs for 8 months when I dropped to the 2 mgs. I wasnt on the 2's but for the last few days and a lot of this is my dr didnt really know to much about this. I wish I would have found this forum weeks ago. Let me know if I can help. thogan

Thanks, thogan. I appreciate you answering my question it helps to give me an idea of what to expect the next few days.

I'll be checking in tomorrow and hopefully you can post how you feel and if you slept at all.

Good morning guys. Day 10 for me and slept approx. 6-7 hours last night. Still on the weak side and sneezing like crazy. I am moving forward. Should be getting close to the finish line. I hope and pray. thogan

Good to hear you slept a decent amount last night.

Other than feeling a bit weak and sneezing do you have any other withdrawal symptoms?

I couldn't sleep Tuesday night but last night I was able to get roughly the same as you. Not sure if the tea helped or if I was just tired from not sleeping the night before.

It's been over 5 full days without sub and I'm STILL waiting for some terrible withdrawal symptoms lol, but I'm getting more and more optomistic that I'll just feel weak like I do now. I've sneezed a few times but it's not really a consistent thing.

Just noticed that in your orginal post you mentioned that you felt ********py starting roughly 24 hours after you stopped taking the sub.

I mean, you definitely felt bad within three days of your last dose, right?

What day so far do you think has been the worst day for you since stopping?

I understand if you're not feeling well enough to answer my questions, thanks if you can and keep up the good work!

To be honest, I think day 8 because I was at a cross roads between trying to get some more sub or continue on. I have been off work this entire time and dont want this to cause me my job. I am on day 11, still sneezing and feel really really tired. I am getting roughly 6-7 hrs of sleep every night now but still wake up with no energy. I hope I am getting close now. thogan

Thanks for the update, thogan.

I'm feeling super lazy/tired/weak as well and didn't get much sleep at all last night. Been 6 days though and based on me taking half as much as you for half as long I'm hoping I've reached the bottom and will start feeling more energetic.

I've been staying at my sister's house and the last two night she let her eight month old cry for hours becuase she's trying to break him from feeding every two hour through the night.

I've decided to head back home on my own in order to have more peace and quiet at night to hopefully get more rest. I work Monday and plan on taking a sleeping pill the next two night to ensure I get a good night's rest.

Keep up the good work and I'll do the same.

Keep on keeping on. I went to work today and came home after 3 hours. I am ready for the weakness to go. I will keep you posted on day 12. thanks, thogan

New Guy, I hope today is much better for you. day 12 for me and still weak. I am sooooo ready to feel a little normalacy. I took a drug test that we had at our house this morning and it still shows opiate in my system. I dont know how much longer but I hope you are having a good day. thogan

Hey thogan,

haven't been online too much after getting back home. tomorrow will be 12 days for me. it's been pretty much an entire week since i've gotten a full nights sleep, but I'm not feeling that bad except i'm still feeling weak throughout the day.

how are things for you since your last post?

Man! You guys surely have done this the hard way. I really wish I could have gotten with you before you both just jumped off like you did. Tapering properly would have been totally painless and none of this would have been necessary. You both have my respect for sticking it out but my goodness none of this should have happened at all. I take people off subs daily with NO problems whatsoever. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 03-19-2009 at 06:46 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

I wish I had known about this forum while I was on suboxone. Newguy99, today is day 18 for me and like you I am whipped all day, no energy at all. I had my gp give me something for sleep however. .2 mg's of clonidine & 25 mg of hydroxyz hcl at bedtime and it helps me to sleep. good luck thogan

Robert,

Tapering was always in the back of my mind if it ever got real bad trying it cold turkey. I took the rest of my stash up to my sister's and gave it to her as soon as I got there. I told her to not give any unless I was threatening her bodily harm and she felt I was genuine lol. Basically she wasn't going to give them to me unless I was in the bathroom all day and cold sweating, etc.

It just never got to that point. I felt really tired and had pretty hardcore RLS going on, but having gone through oxy withdrawals I knew what I was feeling was nothing compared with that and I was kidding myself if I said I couldn't handle it.

Thanks for your kind words!

thogan,

It's day 18 for me today. I feel great. I would imagine you'll feel it longer than me, but you're also a few days ahead so maybe you feel solid now too. If not, shouldn't be long based on how I feel and the dose I was taking.

New guy, today is day 24 for me and I am feeling a little better. My energy level in the afternoon goes down but all in all, I do feel better as every day goes by. I am so thankful I didnt turn back on day 8. Today should be day 20 for you so you are probably out enjoying life as it should be. Keep me posted. thogan

Hi thogan and NewGuy ... I've had computer problems and been offline for most of the last week. My previous comment to you two on the 19th was one of only a few posts I was able to make at all during that time. I'm retired and don't go to the office every morning like I used to anymore with a computer waiting for me at my desk. It's okay though I can live without that. I enjoy my current lifestyle not working in today's financial market being a retired advisor.

While I sincerely respect you both for what you've done stopping cold turkey off the buprenorphine I'm certainly not envious. I think that you can plainly see that because of a few different reasons, one being the extremely long half life of buprenorphine, it's very conceivable for people to experience w/d symptoms for a month on a cold turkey like this similar (but usually not as bad) as with methadone.

I just always suggest a taper down to nothing off buprenorphine and I always will. I don't understand not doing it like that. I wouldn't ever want to argue about it at all but I just don't understand you guys having chose to do this like you've done it.

We go on suboxone to begin with because we don't want to experience the bad w/d symptoms of a cold turkey. I've done the oxy w/d too cold turkey having stopped when I'd been taking thirty 30mg roxies plus another 30 or so 10/650 lorcets, plus 20mg xanax, 6-8mg of klonopin and 20-25 soma all each day plus other assorted garbage. But after going on subs to beat the opiate w/d symptoms we end up doing a cold turkey like this for a month anyway it seems like it's kind of defeating the purpose of using the subs to begin with. If you didn't ever start on the sub in the beginning you would be over the very worst of a typical opiate detox in a 2-3 weeks or so anyway if not maybe sooner. I guess that I was left a little in the dark here. I still don't understand why anyone would choose to do this like you've done it. That's just me. God bless.

Robert, I appreciate your knowledge on this and like I have posted before, I wouldve given anything to have known about this forum while I was using. It is just that my dr. didnt tell me anything about w/d's off the suboxone. He just told me to do what I thought I needed to do. I have a friend that is on this stuff and I told him to contact you whenever he is ready to wean down. He is going to the same dr. I went to and he has him on 16 mgs. a day. Believe me when I tell you that I have explained to him the nightmare I have gone through with this. He will be contacting you in the coming weeks. I will let you know when he is ready. thanks, thogan