Suboxone Taper
    camiam is offline New Member

Smile Suboxone Taper

Dear Friends, First of all I would like to thank each of you for the advice & support you have offered on this site. I also pray each of you had Happy Holidays. I have been on on 8mg suboxone for 90 days & doing great. My Dr. & myself has decided I am ready to stop. He gave me a 7 day taper today. 4mg every other day, then stop. IS this a good taper? Will I have any WDs
    on the days in between? If so , what can I take to help. All I was given was a sleep aid(Lunesta). I am concerned about my nerves on the few days in between. I have withdrawn from Alcohol(15 yrs in the program of AA) but not from any drugs. Thank you for your help. Your friend, CamIAM
    Also, I start a new job in Monday, I surely want to be ready for work.

submom is offline Member

wow, 7 days to get off 8 mgs? that is way to quick in my opinion. Of course its easy for your Dr because i am certain he never needed to stop the subs himself! I can only offer you advice on what i did. I was started at 16, dropped quickly to 12 then 8 once at 8 i went down 1 mg every 3-4 days this was fairley easy until i hit 5 mgs. Once at 5 i was unable to drop to 4 with out horrible feelings. My Dr put me on 900 mgs of neurontin to assist with the drop and it helped enough that i was able to get down to 1mg. I then started dropping quarters every 6-7 days...1 mg to .75 to .50 then jumped. My wd's were minimal in comparision to those whom jumped from 2mgs...jumping from 4 is suicide hon...dont do it....your Dr does not seem versed enough if he thinks this is possible. Reasearch....and then come to him with a realistic plan. Because his plan my friend is FAR from realistic.

I wish you the best...i am now 40 days off subs...no norcos since august...i feel really good, I am so thankful to be done with pills....take care

PS. I just found out that my ex is now reading my post....so i hope he enjoys this one....and MR ex, send my child support wont you? Its too bad you dont have enough in your life to stay outta MY business...

perrigirl is offline New Member

I've been on Suboxone since June 2007 and had tapered down from 32mg daily to 4mg. I had no rx coverage and was having trouble affording the drug, so on the 30th of December I had no more Suboxone and it was one of the worst nights of my life! I had a Dr. appt on Jan 2nd, though, and advised Dr. what was happening and that I wanted to quit Suboxone. He prescribed Trazadol for sleep, Flexeril and Lyrica for muscles and something else for GI cramps. It's been almost 2 weeks w/out Suboxone; I am not depressed, but am having problems with severe leg pains in the late afternoons and also still some queaziness and diareah. (yuck!). I just called the Suboxone hotline to see if they have any info whatsoever on how long these feelings will last. They advised that I ask my Dr. for a 2mg tablet and take that for at least 6 weeks. Not sure what I will do yet.......

Default Suboxone tapering

I have been suboxone free since September of 2007. After a 4 year love affair with oxycontin, the oxy's finally won.

I was on sub's since April of 2004. Not to scare you because every doctor has their own method/ideas on how long someone should be on sub's in order to aid in the recovery of opiate addiction.

So I may have stayed on it too long in some people's opinion. But for me, it was a plan that my doctor and I worked out. I was fortunate enough to have a doctor who was very knowledgeable about addiction, and very sensitive to my ultimate fear of relapsing. So he allowed me to taper at my own pace, always discussing my options with him first.

My body eventually began to reject the suboxone. I was feeling fine, no withdrawal symptoms. But somewhere in my own insanity, my body would tell me that the dose was too high and I would again taper down. I had gotten to the point where I was splitting the tablets in quarters, only needing one quarter (half mg) every few days. As soon as I felt w/d coming on, I would again take another half mg. The tapering process, for me, was so gradual, that I began to forget I was taking them for my addiction.

Oh, I did try jumping off cold turkey at 2mg. Never again. I was sick for days, never realizing until days and days later that my sickness was actually caused by the cold turkey route I tried.

My advice is for you to discuss it with your doctor and taper from there. And my only suggestion is taper as sloooooooooooooowwwwwly as possible. You'll know when its time to once again adjust your dose down. Hopefully.

Godspeed
    Janice
    I shall remain grateful for Suboxone...........

hotdixie72 is offline New Member

Default subutex, tranxene, and wellbutrin

My boyfriend, a big time addict thinks he has found his miracle drug. His addictionologist has him on 8mg subutex bid, 7.5mg tranxene tid, and wellbutrin as well. He is abusing all of the above. A 30 day supply was gone in 10 days. So, for those of you who think it can't be abused, you have been mislead. He was so out of it that he fell asleep repeatedly in bed with cigarettes in his mouth. Once he burned his chest almost 2 inches long, which will tell you he was so out there, that the whole cig burned on his chest while he was too incoherent to realize it! If you take this drug properly, it does work well. The problem is, the few doctors who can prescribe it are not doing their part to monitor their patients! And that is sad because only so many people can get on it, and too many are abusing it just like the methodone. Just be aware that it does create a euphoria just like the stuff they are weaning people off of. I finally called my man's Dr. and told him about the abuse. Now of course, I am the worst person who ever lived. But at the same time, he jeopardized my home, my kids lives, my life, and his own pathetic life as well. I think I did the right thing.

Unhappy Don't I know it.....

Oh, I agree that Sub's can and are being abused. First of all, they are being prescribed solely to aid in the opiate/>>>>>> addict trying to quit their drug of choice. Problem is that they use it to w/d from street drugs only to return to the use and abuse of their opiate/>>>>>> addiction. No intention or attempt made to quit for good, only as a tool to continue their insanity.

And you are correct in your observation that some doctor's do not monitor their sub patients. They have been provided with the right to prescribe it to limited patients, therefore their services are (were) very high in demand. That allows them to charge outrageous intake fees along with whatever follow-up fee they feel like charging. Top it all of, they can require you to follow up anytime, once a week, twice a month, etc. The only thing that these doctors are (were) being monitored for was to be sure they would only prescribed to the limit they were given.

Since my induction to sub's, my doctor has informed me that the government has lifted that patient limit, allowing them to treat more patients with sub's.

When I first found out about sub's I was floored with the fact that there were only like 8 doctors in all of NJ that were allowed to prescribe it. After calling most of them, I was floored once again with the astronomical fees they were charging. And I could tell that some of those doctors I spoke to could care less about me, but wanted to be sure I understood how expensive their fees were. One doctor wouldn't even answer any questions regarding Suboxone. He told me that he "would discuss any questions I may have at the initial consultation." Oh, and by the way, that consult was $500. So I continued down that list of doctors until I found one who seemed to actually care about my addiction and my goal of getting off the oxy's I was taking.

Also, I was told that any doctor can now prescribe Suboxone as long as he completes some type of certified course.

Personally, I usually can abuse anything that initially makes me feel good, only to lead to insanity later on. Examples: Percocets, OxyContin, Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey Ice Cream, and my EXHUSBAND!!!

Why can't I find myself addicted to anything that's actually good for me?
    Examples: Exercise, Nice Guys, Salad, Yoga
    Janice
    I shall remain grateful for Suboxone...........

vduda is offline Member

My second time through a hospital based model of a detox center I was given the Buprenix shots (probably spelt it wrong) for a week. It is the liquid version of Suboxone. The firest time it helped, but this time it did not. I was on mega doses of opiates and benzos. When I got home I went cold turkey. I almost died. Literally, I was bedridden for over a month. Been five months clean and still struggle with physical withdrawals. A couple a weeks ago placed back on benzos after 4 and half months clean. Anxiety Disorder took over and all the health problems that accompany this disorder. On very small dose .5 mg before bed. Yesterday, doc switched me to Valium 2 mg (longer acting benzo) before bed. It does help with the crippling insomnia.

In my opinion it is quite a fast tapper. Should step down on a weekly basis (perhaps .5 to 1 mg). See how you react. Seems like your doc is controlling the process. That sucks. So at one point your just going to have to quit. The way he wants to bring you down u very well may have significant withdrawals. Good luck and God Bless.

vduda is offline Member

Your funny Sheloveskoalas. Chunky Monkey and your exhusband. Maybe you know my exwife. She was addicted to abusing me (Happily divorced). I use to be addicted to working out. Wish I could get over these withdrawals. Right now work takes all my energy. God Bless.

Saxobone is offline New Member

Default My last dose was 2 days ago.

I have been a >>>>>>e addict for several months but rarely ever booting it; mainly sniffing 0.25 to 0.5 gram a day. That is still 50 to 100 bucks a day. Anyways, I got so messed up last thursday at my band's gig (drinking on top of it) that I knew that was my last night. So I had a few 8mg Subs and the next day I did nothing, fearing taking one too soon. Then Saturday I took an entire 8mg before work. Sunday I took about 6mg. And Monday I took less than 2mg in the morning before packing my bags and driving to my parents' house in NY to detox.
    Now it is wednessday and the mental side of the withdrawals has not really kicked in. And that is always the worst part for me. I have lack of energy, diahrea, uncomfortableness in bed (but i still manage to fall asleep unlike my last experience when i had an even lesser habit).
    I am realizing that suboxone stays in your system far longer than >>>>>>e. Any ideas when I will seriously feel terrible?

vduda is offline Member

Hey suboxone,

From personal experience I found suboxone stays in your system about 3 to 5 days. Methodone is anywhere from 1 to 7 days. Detox sucks. Stay strong. Withdrawals is the devils bad breath. God Bless

thanks vduda

I'm attending my first NA meeting tonight. First of many. I know I will never go back.

P.S. is SAXobone not suboxone lol. A mix between saxophone and trombone. I'm a Sax player hehe. It does look the same though

vduda is offline Member

Sorry Saxobone,

I am really happy to hear that you are taking the steps toward life. The NA meetings really helped me in the beginning (Went to over 120 meeting after I was able to get out of bed. I was bedridden for over a month). But friends and family gave me support and counseling. A lot of people wanted to see me back on my feet. Thank God for them. Now I go to a christian based group. It is really cool. Also I see my counselor once or twice a week. Just started seeing this psychiatrist. It is a lot of work, but it is my life. And I also won't go back down that dark road again. I am really happy for you man. Keep strong. God Bless

P.S. I am also a musician. Guitarist and lead vocals. Hoping to get signed soon. My creativity has really soared since I got off the junk. God works in mysterious ways. Alice in Chains rule!!!! Too bad about Lane Staley.
    Last edited by vduda; 02-21-2008 at 11:45 AM.

While I know I will never go back, I am finding it hard to believe that life will be the same as the days before I ever touched the stuff. I can't believe I was happy sitting alone in my room playing a video game. I've lost my girl for sure and only have maybe one friend who is sober. Thinking about going home after work to an empty house and not doing dope to not mind being alone just doesn't calculate. Sure some days I'll be occupied playing music but the other days seem like hell. Any advice?

vduda is offline Member

Hey bro,

Loneliness is a terrible thing. But things will get better. I thought I would never be happy again in the middle of my detox. Lost a 20 yr marriage. My ex-wife abandoned me when I needed her the most. Was engaged to a Brasilian chick, but that fell apart because my ex kept me tied up in court. Lost about $250,000 in the last 2 years due to my addiction. In april suffered a horrible car accident and broke my neck and had surgery in July. Went to detox 2 months later. Now I have been clean for 6 months and I have an awesome girlfriend who can relate to my struggles. Moved in with me this week. My daughter and I are closer than ever. I've given my mother the greatest gift I could ever give her, her son back. Music is really coming along. Put my studio back together. Tons of energy. I am 41 yrs young and my women is 12 years my younger and she can't keep up with me (shes going to have take a lot of vitamins, LOL). It's difficult to fathom that a little over 6 months ago my doc gave me two weeks to live. I was on such huge amounts of opiates. Shot, popped and snorted. Died three times from overdose. All my organ systems were failing. Now I am in perfect health. Got my blood work back and I am completely healed. My doc said it was a miracle. He never seen anything like it. He said I was conditioned like a marathon runner. Just months ago it was hard to get out of the house. Now I am back at work, constantly staying busy and I have plenty of left over energy for my art. Just hang in there man! God is good. He loves all of us and rains down blessings if your willing to receive them. I'm no fanatic, but I do believe the power of the Almighty God. To look at me you would see a long haired hippie surfer with piercings all over his face. But I have several advanced degrees and work in the educational system. God has always been there for me. If you like to read, take a look at the book of John in the Bible. That book changed my life over 20 years ago. See what you think. God is my strength, my rock, my shelter. Miracles happen moment to moment. If you have the eyes to see and the ears to hear then you can partake in his healing power. I ramble...so I will pray for you brother. It's hard to see anything but the clouds when your in middle of the storm. Soon clear days are ahead. I believe this for you in the name of Jesus Christ. God Bless.

P.S. Sorry I didn't write earlier. Just been really busy. Hope you get this message. If you want we can talk everyday. Let me know. I'm here for you man!

cowboy0812 is offline New Member

Default Suboxone Taper (7 Days F that)

Hello! I am a fellow AA guy myself and since I know you have been through so much to get to your 15 years sober, I will PLEAD WITH U TO NOT APPROACH THIS DETOX IN THIS WAY! I have a biology degree from the University of Pittsburgh, and am pursuing a Masters in Psychology so I am no dummie. I also have abused and detoxed from all major classes of drugs, even GHB which some hospitals don't even know what it is. Another 2cb-7 another they did not know about.

You should approach the detox from the suboxone not in days but in months, unless u want to suffer for several weeks. The half life of suboxone is 72 hours meaning that after 72 hours you still have 1/2 of the origional dose. Imagine how many of those doses you have on board with you, and this is the most important part, it takes 7 half lifes (7 times x 72 hours (3 days) = 21 Days) so when you finally pass 21 days that first pill is below a level that would affect your body (in simple terms) So to tell you that in seven days you will be detoxed is not even true. If you started today and took 1 pill for 7 days, and you would have on board with you on days seven slightly under 25 percent of the first dose.

I would tell you this, we forget how strong this medication is. I gave my girl friend 1/4 pill of suboxone when she ran out of her imaptrex and was having a major migraine, and she was totally crushed, I can take 20 and am fine.

Enough said, as you probably have already done this, but it is for others as well. I recommend that you take 6 mg for 1 month, 4 mg for 1 month, 2 mg for a month and here will be the first pain, if you drop to zero you will feel ********************ty, not immobilized, but sick for at least a couple weeks. So the final recommendation is to switch to 2 mg pills and cut the 2 in half and do that for a month, and then cut 1/2 the 1/2 or .25 mg for a month. This should be be barely noticable at that point, perceivable probably, but more psychological than chemical.

Good luck. I tried my first time coming from 16 mg by going 14, 12,10,8,6,4,2,2, off and I was ********************ing miserable

Drew

Dear Friends, First of all I would like to thank each of you for the advice & support you have offered on this site. I also pray each of you had Happy Holidays. I have been on on 8mg suboxone for 90 days & doing great. My Dr. & myself has decided I am ready to stop. He gave me a 7 day taper today. 4mg every other day, then stop. IS this a good taper? Will I have any WDs
    on the days in between? If so , what can I take to help. All I was given was a sleep aid(Lunesta). I am concerned about my nerves on the few days in between. I have withdrawn from Alcohol(15 yrs in the program of AA) but not from any drugs. Thank you for your help. Your friend, CamIAM
    Also, I start a new job in Monday, I surely want to be ready for work.[/QUOTE]

sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy0812 View Post
    Hello! I am a fellow AA guy myself and since I know you have been through so much to get to your 15 years sober, I will PLEAD WITH U TO NOT APPROACH THIS DETOX IN THIS WAY! I have a biology degree from the University of Pittsburgh, and am pursuing a Masters in Psychology so I am no dummie. I also have abused and detoxed from all major classes of drugs, even GHB which some hospitals don't even know what it is. Another 2cb-7 another they did not know about.

You should approach the detox from the suboxone not in days but in months, unless u want to suffer for several weeks. The half life of suboxone is 72 hours meaning that after 72 hours you still have 1/2 of the origional dose. Imagine how many of those doses you have on board with you, and this is the most important part, it takes 7 half lifes (7 times x 72 hours (3 days) = 21 Days) so when you finally pass 21 days that first pill is below a level that would affect your body (in simple terms) So to tell you that in seven days you will be detoxed is not even true. If you started today and took 1 pill for 7 days, and you would have on board with you on days seven slightly under 25 percent of the first dose.

I would tell you this, we forget how strong this medication is. I gave my girl friend 1/4 pill of suboxone when she ran out of her imaptrex and was having a major migraine, and she was totally crushed, I can take 20 and am fine.

Enough said, as you probably have already done this, but it is for others as well. I recommend that you take 6 mg for 1 month, 4 mg for 1 month, 2 mg for a month and here will be the first pain, if you drop to zero you will feel ********************ty, not immobilized, but sick for at least a couple weeks. So the final recommendation is to switch to 2 mg pills and cut the 2 in half and do that for a month, and then cut 1/2 the 1/2 or .25 mg for a month. This should be be barely noticable at that point, perceivable probably, but more psychological than chemical.

Good luck. I tried my first time coming from 16 mg by going 14, 12,10,8,6,4,2,2, off and I was ********************ing miserable

Drew

Also, I start a new job in Monday, I surely want to be ready for work.
    [/quote]

I would like to see where you got the information of the half life being 72hours. I think I remember it being 36hours. Can you pls give me the site of information. I will go re-read the sub site.

ty

sister

Robert_325 is offline Retired

I would like to see where you got the information of the half life being 72hours. I think I remember it being 36hours. Can you pls give me the site of information. I will go re-read the sub site.

ty

sister[/QUOTE]

sister ... the half life of buprenorphine can actually vary depending on certain factors. The mean half life is 37 hours. THAT IS A FACT. The half life can vary between 20-73 hours so the mean or middle of that is 37 hours. He listed the very highest amount it can possibly be but no way it is 72 hours for everyone. I guarantee you that our friend who just went 96 hours with zero symptoms has not experienced a 72 hour half life.

Lots of us have educations. That doesn't mean anyone is correct. I have an education too as do you. Lots of people come here and claim to know everything because they are educated. I don't buy that as knowledge. They simply went to school for a few years just like me or you.

If anyone questions the half life numbers I have provided just go to Google and type in "half life of buprenorphine." It doesn't take any degree. All that is required is knowledge how to do a google search. You will find that I am correct I promise you. Been doing this a pretty long time now.The numbers on half life may vary some depending on the source but the numbers I am giving are from Wikipedia which is the most well respected online encyclopedia I know of.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 08-29-2008 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post

ty

sister

sister ... the half life of buprenorphine can actually vary depending on certain factors. The mean half life is 37 hours. THAT IS A FACT. The half life can vary between 20-73 hours so the mean or middle of that is 37 hours. He listed the very highest amount it can possibly be but no way it is 72 hours for everyone. I guarantee you that our friend who just went 96 hours with zero symptoms has not experienced a 72 hour half life.

Lots of us have educations. That doesn't mean anyone is correct. I have an education too as do you. Lots of people come here and claim to know everything because they are educated. I don't buy that as knowledge. They simply went to school for a few years just like me or you.

If anyone questions the half life numbers I have provided just go to Google and type in "half life of buprenorphine." It doesn't take any degree. All that is required is knowledge how to do a google search. You will find that I am correct I promise you. Been doing this a pretty long time now.The numbers on half life may vary some depending on the source but the numbers I am giving are from Wikipedia which is the most well respected online encyclopedia I know of.[/quote]

I spent an hour last night just reading the information sub.com puts out and could not find the 1/2 life..... but what you say makes sense to me...... For me the drop was easier going longer then 3=4 days...I found when I got lower then 4mg I went 6-7 days... thought I was being a sissy... well I am a sissy. but it worked.

You know...... the fear is really getting ahold of me.. I know I could stop right now. I had to drop to.25mg because I was getting slighly high....and the .25 did nothing to me.. I am just not trusting myself at all.... the dreams really freak me out. What do you think of me just taking .25 about every 5 days.. My doctor (private) will not give me the narcan and I can not go back to the sub doc since I challanged him. I dont want to go back to getting drugs illegally again as this just opens me up for more trouble. My pvt doc is worried due to the MS and not knowing what or how it will effect the avonex. I said to him.... I am taking narcan with the sub right now........ he said do what you want, but no script. I think my doc just dosnt think I will have a life time without pain meds due to the MS... this may be true one day to come but not today. My Ms pain is very mininal as long as I get rest, eat well, keep moving.

I dont want to make life more difficult by staying on ..25, but it jsut seems to me, that is stays in my system about that long..Do you think in the long run it will hurt me... saying that when I feel stronger to be free of subs?

Sister.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

I have all the info from naabt in hard form. That is what you see at suboxone.com. The half life info is not there. I looked too. But it is on Google on Wikipedia. I promise you the numbers I gave are accurate. Think about it. All meds have ranges for half lifes. All the benzos vary some with half life and the same is true with different opiates. It's not logical to think there is an exact half life for anything for everyone. Too many contributing factors.

I don't see anything wrong with you taking .25mg as long as you need it. I don't even care if it's all in your head. If it keeps you clean that is all that matters. It won't hurt you.

I think doing .25mg every five days until you are ready yourself to jump off is perfect. You need to decide that and not me. You know how you feel and you're not a drug rookie. I am sure Dave and anyone else on this forum with lots of experience would say the exact same thing. Do what YOU think is the best thing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I have all the info from naabt in hard form. That is what you see at suboxone.com. The half life info is not there. I looked too. But it is on Google on Wikipedia. I promise you the numbers I gave are accurate. Think about it. All meds have ranges for half lifes. All the benzos vary some with half life and the same is true with different opiates. It's not logical to think there is an exact half life for anything for everyone. Too many contributing factors.

I don't see anything wrong with you taking .25mg as long as you need it. I don't even care if it's all in your head. If it keeps you clean that is all that matters. It won't hurt you.

I think doing .25mg every five days until you are ready yourself to jump off is perfect. You need to decide that and not me. You know how you feel and you're not a drug rookie. I am sure Dave and anyone else on this forum with lots of experience would say the exact same thing. Do what YOU think is the best thing for you.
    good,,,,,,,,,,,, Physically I dont need it anymore.. the day after my whinnnnn about the chills the dope left me alone. I felt it leave me. The chills stopped and the sweats are the normal menopausey sweats now. I am just fearfull of no crutch. My faith is not as strong as yours but we are gettng to know each other better after many yrs of me walking away. I will hang here at .25 about every 5-6 days... just so I know its useless to use. When I get stronger, I will stop,

you have been God send for me....

Sister.

Pow skier is offline Junior Member

Hey, I was at 1.5-2 mg for several weeks, and am planning to taper down soon. I was even able to get to 1mg per day for almost a week, but that was a little tough and I only did it cause I couldn't get any more until the end of the week. I took a little vacation last week and ran out before going to see my doctor, so I decided to relapse, I had kind of been planning on taking a short break from the suboxone, it's been over a year since I took anything. So I started with 30mg roxy's and then oc 40's, for about 4-5 days. I got back on Suboxone last night and had to take like 8 of the 2mg pills to feel better. I will take less and less each day and am thinking maybe I can do a 20 day taper after relapsing and getting the sub out of my system. I could definitely use your help and advice, encouragement.......Can you help me?

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pow skier View Post
    Hey, I was at 1.5-2 mg for several weeks, and am planning to taper down soon. I was even able to get to 1mg per day for almost a week, but that was a little tough and I only did it cause I couldn't get any more until the end of the week. I took a little vacation last week and ran out before going to see my doctor, so I decided to relapse, I had kind of been planning on taking a short break from the suboxone, it's been over a year since I took anything. So I started with 30mg roxy's and then oc 40's, for about 4-5 days. I got back on Suboxone last night and had to take like 8 of the 2mg pills to feel better. I will take less and less each day and am thinking maybe I can do a 20 day taper after relapsing and getting the sub out of my system. I could definitely use your help and advice, encouragement.......Can you help me?
    Hi Pow skier
    It's nice to see you back...
    I'm not sure who you were asking for help from...
    You should start another thread it would make things allot easer

Melinda

Pow skier is offline Junior Member

I was trying to only reply to "cowboy", just because I could use some encouragement from someone like that. I will post a new thread