Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Strong Desire
  • 1 Post By pgcc
  • 1 Post By pgcc
suboxone question
    pgcc is offline Member

Default suboxone question

I've been reading through some induction threads and some of the doses are so unusual like .8 or .85 or .7. How would you measure a pill or 8mg strip into such a dose? Is it just an estimate or is there something I am missing? I can see how one could get a .75 or a .125 or a .5 of course but these odd numbers I don't get????

Strong Desire is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by pgcc View Post
    I've been reading through some induction threads and some of the doses are so unusual like .8 or .85 or .7. How would you measure a pill or 8mg strip into such a dose? Is it just an estimate or is there something I am missing? I can see how one could get a .75 or a .125 or a .5 of course but these odd numbers I don't get????
    I answered this question on the other thread!
    Karen

Here ya go.....

Originally Posted by pgcc
    I read through this thread and it is awesome! I was just wondering how do you measure out doses like .85 or
    .7, it seems impossible with a 8mg pill or the 8mg strip even the 2mg it would be next to impossible. Are you just estimating? Or am I missing something? Just curious cause I'll be doing this soon.
    Well my ex boyfriend was a math professor at the local college, but he has hit the road. So I need to figure it out for myself and I will do just that! It really isn't difficult if you put your mind to it, but I will try to explain how I do it anyway.

Maybe Robert or one of the others may have a much better way but this is how I do/did it.....

If you have 8mg pills like I do then what I did was to cut them in half for (2) - 4mg pieces with a single edge razor blade. Then I cut those in half for (4) - 2mg pieces. I then could carefully cut those small pieces in half once again for (8) - 1mg pieces.

Then I crush the 1mg piece up with the back of a kitchen spoon to a really fine powder. Then you can separate the powder in half to get 2 piles of .50mg each. And then you could separate those piles in half to get 4 piles of .25mg each. And so on.

To answer your question of how to get say the .85mg, you would only need to take off a small portion of the 1mg piece. To get the .7mg dose, take the .50mg pile and add most of the .25mg pile to it. Robert mentioned on the forum many times that it was perfectly ok to estimate the dose by eyesight as it would be close enough to the correct dose.

I would give you this piece of advice.....don't let your mind be too consumed about getting the EXACT dose. While it is important to get it as close as you can, you can also drive yourself nuts trying to get it right! Just RELAX and I promise you right now that everything will work out perfectly! And I KEEP my promises! When you get to the point of trying to figure your dose you just let me know and I will help you out. Be so happy to do it! Others here may have better ways to do it and they will speak up when they read this.

Thank you for having the confidence in me to ask my opinion. Nothing makes me happier than to know that I helped out another person with this! I want you clean as much as you want yourself clean! Together supporting each other there is no way we can fail! RIGHT! Blessings to you my friend!

Big Hugs,
    Karen

p.s. I use a piece of typing paper to crush the 1mg piece on. Then when I get it into piles I put it in a foil chewing gum wrapper for safe keeping. I keep the dose marked so I won't get confused as to what foil pouch has what amount in it! Nothing to it really! You CAN do it! Robert_325 likes this. Reply Reply With Quote

pgcc is offline Member

OK thats what I thought its an estimation. I knew there was no way to get it exact. I have the strips which will be harder to get down to such small amounts if need be.

OK thats what I thought its an estimation. I knew there was no way to get it exact. I have the strips which will be harder to get down to such small amounts if need be.
    I think you may have missed the point of my reply. It IS important to get it very close. I could get it EXACT if I really needed to do so. But it is not entirely an estimation in my opinion. If that were the case there would be no separate doses like .15mg, .25mg, .3mg, .5mg, .7mg, 1,25mg and so on.

I was only saying to not get too emotional over getting the EXACT dose ALL OF THE TIME is all. It would be ok to estimate the really difficult doses to figure. Robert would agree with me I'm sure.

I really believe the strips may actually be easier to cut up! Just cut them in half until you get (8) - 1mg pieces. Then you can cut those in half to get .50mg pieces and go from there.

I read somewhere here that if you hold the film with a pair of tweezers and use some small scissors it will make it much easier to cut those strips! Hope you understand my reply better and this helps you out as I really do care about you and how easy I can make it for you to figure and cut!

Hugs,
    Karen
    soscrewed likes this.

pgcc is offline Member

No, Karen, I got you. What I meant was if you measure a .7 say, you are eyeballing it so it is most likely not exactly .7. If you need say 2mg you can quater the pill and you know that it is 2mgs. I understand that being exact is not that important but you want to get as close as possible. Thanks for your help. This thing is coming up for me. I'm drinking my last methadone tomorrow. getting nervous, anxious but if I don't get off the methadone my life is going no where so this has to be done. I'll be keeping you posted
    Strong Desire likes this.

ClassiqueMom is offline Senior Member

mornin' pgcc!

i am thankful you are inspired by karen journey..
    the same can be yours.. please! stay stoked, and determined!

be sure you're at 26 on the cows scale.. (it's sooooo important!)

you are, and will continue to be in my prayers!
    Classique MoM
    P - R - A - Y - E - R
    When life gets too hard to stand...KNEEL !

pgcc is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ClassiqueMom View Post
    mornin' pgcc!

i am thankful you are inspired by karen journey..
    the same can be yours.. please! stay stoked, and determined!

be sure you're at 26 on the cows scale.. (it's sooooo important!)

you are, and will continue to be in my prayers!
    Classique MoM
    Drank my last dose of methadone this morning at 6:30. Hopefully I never see that place or those people again. I stocked up on gatorade and things light to eat and I got some clonidine in case I need something. I know Robert says take nothing but I got them just in case. Makes me feel better even if I don't have to use them. Wow, its been 6 years I've drank meth everyday, except short stints when I got locked up for some foolishness. 6 days was the longest and 3 the other time. BTW both cases were dropped, the cops in the area target the clinic so I got caught up in two sweeps a few years back. When your in jail you have no choice but to tough it out my true test is toughing it out at home. But the reward at the end is so very great I am just about certain that I will not fail in making it to a 26 on the cows sheet. After that I will take Roberts instructions and go ahead and do the induction. I so hope that by Tuesday or so I am Methadone free and headed to a clean life no longer clouded by methadone. I can't wait to start living again, I feel like I've simply been existing for 6 years. Enough is enough for me.
    ClassiqueMom likes this.

Drank my last dose of methadone this morning at 6:30. Hopefully I never see that place or those people again. I stocked up on gatorade and things light to eat and I got some clonidine in case I need something. I know Robert says take nothing but I got them just in case. Makes me feel better even if I don't have to use them. Wow, its been 6 years I've drank meth everyday, except short stints when I got locked up for some foolishness. 6 days was the longest and 3 the other time. BTW both cases were dropped, the cops in the area target the clinic so I got caught up in two sweeps a few years back. When your in jail you have no choice but to tough it out my true test is toughing it out at home. But the reward at the end is so very great I am just about certain that I will not fail in making it to a 26 on the cows sheet. After that I will take Roberts instructions and go ahead and do the induction. I so hope that by Tuesday or so I am Methadone free and headed to a clean life no longer clouded by methadone. I can't wait to start living again, I feel like I've simply been existing for 6 years. Enough is enough for me.
    Hello My Friend!

Congratulations to you on your last dose of that stuff! That is so awesome! You seem fully committed to making your life so much better and I'm very proud of you.

You're right about NOT taking anything before you induct on the subs. If you take even an aspirin it could possibly delay your cows score. That's why Robert is the master of the subs. He knows how it works and what it takes to get to the lowest effective dose at induction!

I followed his directions perfectly and that is why I was able to induct at such a low dose of ONLY 1.7mg total daily! So please wait for Robert to talk you through it and take not a single thing to make you feel better until you hear from him. Not telling you what to do and I hope you understand that. I just want you to have the best chance at success! And you will with your attitude!

I'm in your corner my friend and will be with you all the way! You know how it is going for me and no reason it can't be the same for you too! Positive thoughts all the way is what it takes. And you have that so you are all set! Blessings to you as you get ready to change your life!

Big Hugs,
    Karen

One more thing. I know you are probably nervous a bit so please do your best to RELAX! There is nothing to worry about. That's the honest truth!

Karen

pgcc is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Desire View Post
    One more thing. I know you are probably nervous a bit so please do your best to RELAX! There is nothing to worry about. That's the honest truth!

Karen
    Thanks so much. Yeah, I will not take the clonidine unless he says its ok, I just know that they are good for wd so I figured it couldn't hurt to have them around. But I have only been on this forum a short time but long enough to have faith in Robert so I have decided that I will do what ever he asks and for once give up control to someone who knows better then me. So I have the clonidine but they won't be used unless he says they are needed. I have been so lucky to find this web site and right on time too. Otherwise I would have done what my doctor said, take 1 and 1/2 8mg strips a day and start two days after my last dose. Nothing about the cows chart, nothing about starting with a low dose to see how I react to it before increasing it, basically no good advice. All he is good for is a prescription and a rediculously long wait to see him, lol.

Thanks so much. Yeah, I will not take the clonidine unless he says its ok, I just know that they are good for wd so I figured it couldn't hurt to have them around. But I have only been on this forum a short time but long enough to have faith in Robert so I have decided that I will do what ever he asks and for once give up control to someone who knows better then me. So I have the clonidine but they won't be used unless he says they are needed. I have been so lucky to find this web site and right on time too. Otherwise I would have done what my doctor said, take 1 and 1/2 8mg strips a day and start two days after my last dose. Nothing about the cows chart, nothing about starting with a low dose to see how I react to it before increasing it, basically no good advice. All he is good for is a prescription and a rediculously long wait to see him, lol.
    I would just give you some quick suggestions that helped me as I got ready to induct with the subs if I may. Just begin to get yourself in the most positive frame of mind that you can. Know in your heart that you're making the best decision for YOU right now. Clear your schedule of anything important so that you can devote your full attention to the induction if at all possible.

Follow EXACTLY as Robert asks you to do. I know you will, but there are many that just don't do that very simple thing. I mean if we ask the guy for his help, then the least we can do is follow what he asks of us right? And make getting some EXERCISE your TOP priority! It has been mentioned many times here, and I am a health and fitness nut, but that will make such a difference in your overall mood you won't believe it.

You don't have to be a marathon runner like me, but if you can just go for walks, ride a bike, go swimming, or anything that your personal physical condition will allow, will give you an edge that makes all the difference! Your body is so resilient. It can take a beating and if you try to improve it, then it will give itself right back to you better than you were before! So get up and get moving, especially if you don't feel like it. That is the exact time it makes the most difference!

There are other things that will help you and I will mention them later when you are on your way. Just prepare yourself for the change that is to come. You will do GREAT! You already are doing great! You have this in the bag my friend! Blessings to you.

Lotsa Love,
    Karen

I realize that I have repeated myself with my suggestions to you. But I want you to get it right the first time. So if you hear the same things over and over it will help you to remember when you may not be feeling your best! So please understand that I only have your very best interest in mind when I may repeat some things I mention to you!

Hugs,
    Karen

rxqueen83 is offline Member

pgcc
    You may want to round up to an even number if your cutting strips. I can't see how you could get a dose of an odd number if it won't divide into 8. Do you see what I mean? You may want to round up to the nearest even number. It is important to get those micro doses very accurate, so you might want to consider using even numbered doses when you get below a point where you can't divide evenly. I'm not sure if Karen understood you were talking about strips. She uses the tablets.

I switched from methadone to suboxone. It really wasn't that bad. The worst past was honestly getting my dose from 160 mg to 30 mg in a little over a month. That really bit the big one. But the three days where I didn't take the methadone wasn't too bad. I was very jumpy. Felt like I was "crawling out of my skin". Had some leg cramps and hot/cold flashes, but I actually worked through the whole process and took care of my four-year-old (was about two at the time). Her Dad was hospitalized for those three days! Two year old's don't understand sickness! LOL. I felt really wiped out like I just wanted to lay in bed. But again, it wasn't too bad.

Make SURE your a 26 on the COWS. I know it's been said and said but man, precipitated WD $ucks so please, make sure your a 26 and when you begin induction, do it slowly. As bad as your feeling it's tempting to shove three or four pills under your tongue, but you will feel worse if you take too much. I think Robert does .5mg at a time right? Whatever it is, do it slowly please. Take the first small dose, lie down, don't talk, let it dissolve fully and wait a full hour before re-dosing. Suboxone takes atleast an hour before you feel it working. That's why people take so much Sub or Methadone because they think it's not working. It's slow to come on. Give it time. Then you re-evaluate your symptoms and decide whether or not to re-dose. Repeat. Give that dose an hour. You'll be so much better off doing it this way, to the "T". I promise. Good luck. I'm happy and proud for you!

Nadia

pgcc is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Desire View Post
    I realize that I have repeated myself with my suggestions to you. But I want you to get it right the first time. So if you hear the same things over and over it will help you to remember when you may not be feeling your best! So please understand that I only have your very best interest in mind when I may repeat some things I mention to you!

Hugs,
    Karen
    I know that. Your so supportive and I dont even know you, its great really. The exercise thing; its funny you mention that cause that is one of the first things on my list to do once i'm into this induction and off the meth. I have been weight training since I was 14, and later I competed nationally in bodybuiling so fitness is important to me. Also, it gives off natural endorphins it helps so much with staying clean. Unfourtunatly, like everything else in my life I don't work out any more. The drugs took everything. I look horrible, not to others but to me, I guess after being at a certain level I'll never be happy with being average. I in no way want to compete again, thats over but I know the gym will be imperitive in my recovery. I plan on waking up and going to the gym instead of the meth clinic each morning. I really can't wait.
    Your right about listneing to Robert if I ask for his help. I've read threads where the person asks for his help, he tells them what to do, they don't do it and then they want more help to fix the problem they created by not listening to him in the first place. That would drive me crazy and I see why he wants to pull back a bit from the forum. I've read everything about suboxone here and other places and he seems to have a grasp on it more than anyone else I have encountered. Also try as I did I could not find anyone who complained that he put them in wd or failed to do as he said. So if I am going to solicit this mans help, take his time up I am not going to insult him by not listneing. We should all be grateful we have one another and a person like him to guide us through. This is f'in scary, I haven't really missed a day of methadone in 6 years and without his encouragement I probably would still be putting off doing the switch to suboxone.
    I have also done what you said. I cleared my calender for the next 5 days, got a whole lot done this week. Tomorrow I will pick up a couple of more things and I'll be prepared. I figure I won't be eating much once the wd kicks up so I stocked up on gatorade to keep myself hydrated. Again, thanks for your ongoing support.
    Last edited by pgcc; 07-05-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rxqueen83 View Post
    pgcc
    You may want to round up to an even number if your cutting strips. I can't see how you could get a dose of an odd number if it won't divide into 8. Do you see what I mean? You may want to round up to the nearest even number. It is important to get those micro doses very accurate, so you might want to consider using even numbered doses when you get below a point where you can't divide evenly. I'm not sure if Karen understood you were talking about strips. She uses the tablets.

I switched from methadone to suboxone. It really wasn't that bad. The worst past was honestly getting my dose from 160 mg to 30 mg in a little over a month. That really bit the big one. But the three days where I didn't take the methadone wasn't too bad. I was very jumpy. Felt like I was "crawling out of my skin". Had some leg cramps and hot/cold flashes, but I actually worked through the whole process and took care of my four-year-old (was about two at the time). Her Dad was hospitalized for those three days! Two year old's don't understand sickness! LOL. I felt really wiped out like I just wanted to lay in bed. But again, it wasn't too bad.

Make SURE your a 26 on the COWS. I know it's been said and said but man, precipitated WD $ucks so please, make sure your a 26 and when you begin induction, do it slowly. As bad as your feeling it's tempting to shove three or four pills under your tongue, but you will feel worse if you take too much. I think Robert does .5mg at a time right? Whatever it is, do it slowly please. Take the first small dose, lie down, don't talk, let it dissolve fully and wait a full hour before re-dosing. Suboxone takes atleast an hour before you feel it working. That's why people take so much Sub or Methadone because they think it's not working. It's slow to come on. Give it time. Then you re-evaluate your symptoms and decide whether or not to re-dose. Repeat. Give that dose an hour. You'll be so much better off doing it this way, to the "T". I promise. Good luck. I'm happy and proud for you!

Nadia
    Hi Nadia,

Yes I knew he uses the strips. I mentioned how to cut them up in a previous reply to him! Hope you are well yourself!

Karen

ClassiqueMom is offline Senior Member

pgcc..
    wanna know how you're doing?.. please update.. thanx!
    Classique MoM
    P - R - A - Y - E - R
    When life gets too hard to stand...KNEEL !