suboxone pain
    stacem30 is offline Junior Member

Default suboxone pain

Hi all,

Hey I was wondering, for those of you on suboxone, have you noticed any aching in your joints or your muscles? I'm kinda movin around like an old person, kinda like I did on methadone. You have to understand that I was off of everything for about four months and most of you probably went straight from your DOC to sub, but I noticed off of everything I felt great except for the extreme cravings. On this I'm moving sloowwww. If someone has noticed this will you please let me know. I'm really concerned.
    Thanks a bunch and I hope you all are doing really well and having a great weekend!
    Stace

exapno-mapcase is offline New Member

Stacie I had similar experience when I was underdosed on sub, current dose adequate no lethargy. I had even continued to have night sweats 4 weeks off all. Still had joint pain and sweats first two weeks of sub maintenance because of insufficient dose. Doc took me up to guidline suggested dose for maintenance all withdrawal symptoms gone. My SO claims I am acting normal for the first time in years. What's your daily scheduled dose?

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

-Groucho Marx

stacem30 is offline Junior Member

Hi,
    Ummm, my dose is 16 mg.'s per day. But I was off of everything for four months and felt No pain whatsoever. Got on sub and started with the hurting joints and muscles like it was on methadone almost. Feel like an old woman! And I'm NOT! hehehe. Did you go straight from your DOC to sub or had you been off of all meds for a while before trying sub?
    Thanks,
    Stace

Penelope is offline Junior Member

Hey Stace, (hope I am not rambling too much)

It seems like 16 mg should be plenty, if not TOO much, for you. I am just thinking though that IF you were on NOTHING for four months, then I would feel this would be a VERY high dose to start and would probably shock your body somewhat! With you having nothing in your system, I couldn't imagine going on a dose that high with you being free of all opiates when you started the sub, but that's my opinion from what I have read and experienced. I would think that you would feel physically bad in your situation on that dose. For example, I know of someone who took an 8 mg sub and this person wasn't on opiates on a regular basis, similar to you. She got so sick...very sick because the dose was so high.

In my case, I know that in the beginning I DID have muscle spasms a few times in my sleep. One night I woke up screaming because a muscle had knotted in my back. It was the most pain I've ever had in my back. By the way, in the beginning I THINK I WAS on WAY too high of a dose then myself, so I lowered mine after I did some research! I started on more mg than you did, btw. The same thing happened in my calves a couple of times, too. I might would think that IF you are having muscle pain so much then your dose may be too high, as mine was; however, I don't understand the lack of energy IF you are just starting it except for the fact that you were clean and jumped right into this sub at 16 mg! In the beginning sub made me extremely nervous (for the first couple of weeks), but I remember having more energy than I did before. However, I was in a different situation from you, as are most people. You are taking it AFTER being off everything, unlike me since I was taking hydrocodones and used the sub to get off them. So I definitely should have more energy since I was really dragging on the pain pills! But in your case, the opposite may be true with your dose.

How long have you been on it, Stace? I was wondering because maybe you've not been on it quite long enough to stop the cravings because it really helped me with mine, but I DID have cravings in the beginning if that makes you feel better. They eventually did go away. Have you tried or thought about lowering your dose? Normally, I know it "sounds" like you need more sub with the lack of energy, but since you were clean for so long, 16 mg. might have had the reverse effect on you than it would someone who was actually using at that time when he/she started the sub.

...hope this helps you some. Let me know more and we can compare and discuss. Have a great weekend!!!

mcfarbo is offline New Member

Hi-
    I was glad to see this post! I too have been experiencing pain on joint pain on Suboxone at night. I feel like my joints lock up and when I move them it is excrutiating! I am also a young person (38) but when I get out of bed I shuffle around like an old lady..it does wear off though. I'm currently on 16mg right now and it's been about a month. I'm going to see my doc this week, so I am going to see about going down and hopefully this will help my the aches..
    Thanks!
    Mary

Stella Blue is offline New Member

Oh man, while I appreciate your post, it's also scaring the hell outta me. I'm having second thoughts on even going on the stuff. I don't wanna do the slow shuffle and I sure as heck don't wanna get hooked.

Now that I'm down to 1/2 vic so far today from a 10+ a day habit, I'm thinking of jumping off without the Sub. The Sub is honestly starting to scare me.

Also, just wondering if you went on the Sub for cravings ? You said you were clean for a few months and then went on it ? Jeezus, I didn't know the cravings would last that long.

Every one of us is unique and must battle this our way, regardless of what we are dependent on. I'm hoping to taper off vic's and go to N.A. for the mental part. I figure I'm gonna have to taper off of Sub anyways. Just not really seeing much of a difference at this point.

As for feeling sluggish on the Sub, maybe you could try to cut back a little each day. Just a little. Prolly not a good idea to throw your body into hardcore withdrawals/shock like I did but just taper.

However, I will say that I personally think w/d's are great for soul-searching. Standing in a hot shower crying your eyes out and so sick/sore your bones hurt really makes a mental impact.

I dunno, just a thought. Hopefully some more experienced members will come along and advise.

Good luck and be strong. Whatever you decide, you DO have the strength.

JolieMara6 is offline Junior Member

Default Yes

Thank you for this post! I am 31 years old and very active with a 2 year old son...anyway I thought maybe I had arthritis or something because I have had the worst joint pain ever! I was thinking back to when it started and it was when I started the suboxone! I am down to 3mgs a day trying to get down....very hard especially with these pains! Now I realize from this post that I am not the only one!

sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JolieMara6 View Post
    Thank you for this post! I am 31 years old and very active with a 2 year old son...anyway I thought maybe I had arthritis or something because I have had the worst joint pain ever! I was thinking back to when it started and it was when I started the suboxone! I am down to 3mgs a day trying to get down....very hard especially with these pains! Now I realize from this post that I am not the only one!

Hi jolie........ Well I am 51 and do have many pains but there were there before the sub. I did notice that when on daily sub I sweat more then just menopause and did get cramps in my lower legs at night. What I did to get rid of them was eat a banana a day for the potassium. This may help you some.

How long have you been on the sub if I may ask?

Sister

tootienkyle is offline New Member

Cool I have horrible joint pain

I am looking for an answer... I was addicted to pain pills after being on them for several different issues. I didn't want to be on them forever and a friend at work was on suboxone and had told me about the medication. I researched it and did a "look up" of what doctor in my area prescribed it (because for those wanting to get on it, not many physicians can prescribe it). I found a fantastic physician who I even switched over to him for my PCP. He spent well over an hour with me, and has at every visit if needed. You have to detox off the pain pills you are on for at least 24 hours, or you will become very ill. I was miserable going in there and within 20-30 minutes of taking the medication, felt actually normal again right then. I was amazed. After the first 2 weeks of being on it (and maybe even sooner) I have had extreme joint pain. I have it in my legs, my knees are the worst, along with my ankles and hands. In the morning when I wake up, I can barely walk. My whole body is a stiff board. It will get better as I move around, but if I sit down (which I sit at a desk for my job) and then go to walk around, I am stiff again. It gets worse as the day goes on. By evening, my knees and ankles swell and I can hardly walk and if I do, it's painful. Then in the middle of the night, my hands-I can't bend them, they get stiff and hurt, my legs are in pain the whole night and if I move them they hurt. My shoulders-I can't lay on one side for very long because they start hurting from laying on them. I have been on suboxone for almost 2 months now. I take 8mg when I wake in the morning and then around 2-3 I take another one. (that is my dosage because I was on pain meds for 2 years every day). My doctor is terrific, but he hasn't seen this with any of his other suboxone patients. This is why I am here. I want to find an answer. I know that I cannot go off of the suboxone, but is it worth all of this other pain??? (and I know I cannot go off of it because I still think of taking the pain pills because I am in so much pain!)

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

musicman48 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tootienkyle View Post
    I am looking for an answer... I was addicted to pain pills after being on them for several different issues. I didn't want to be on them forever and a friend at work was on suboxone and had told me about the medication. I researched it and did a "look up" of what doctor in my area prescribed it (because for those wanting to get on it, not many physicians can prescribe it). I found a fantastic physician who I even switched over to him for my PCP. He spent well over an hour with me, and has at every visit if needed. You have to detox off the pain pills you are on for at least 24 hours, or you will become very ill. I was miserable going in there and within 20-30 minutes of taking the medication, felt actually normal again right then. I was amazed. After the first 2 weeks of being on it (and maybe even sooner) I have had extreme joint pain. I have it in my legs, my knees are the worst, along with my ankles and hands. In the morning when I wake up, I can barely walk. My whole body is a stiff board. It will get better as I move around, but if I sit down (which I sit at a desk for my job) and then go to walk around, I am stiff again. It gets worse as the day goes on. By evening, my knees and ankles swell and I can hardly walk and if I do, it's painful. Then in the middle of the night, my hands-I can't bend them, they get stiff and hurt, my legs are in pain the whole night and if I move them they hurt. My shoulders-I can't lay on one side for very long because they start hurting from laying on them. I have been on suboxone for almost 2 months now. I take 8mg when I wake in the morning and then around 2-3 I take another one. (that is my dosage because I was on pain meds for 2 years every day). My doctor is terrific, but he hasn't seen this with any of his other suboxone patients. This is why I am here. I want to find an answer. I know that I cannot go off of the suboxone, but is it worth all of this other pain??? (and I know I cannot go off of it because I still think of taking the pain pills because I am in so much pain!)

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
    I have never heard of suboxone causing pain.However, suboxone does not help with pain for most people.Could the pain you are having be surfacing because you are coming off of pain pills.In other words the pain was there before but you could not feel it because you were numb from the pain pills ?
    When I stated suboxone all of my nerve/back pain came back.Good luck.MM

erin01 is offline New Member

Default suboxone pain a sympton of withdrawl

I am currently on suboxone-doing a rapid taper. As far as bone pain goes-its totally part of coming off. A friend i met in rehab still has joint pain and her legs constintly hurt where they did not prior to using and coming off suboxone. About 4 years ago, i was on Subutex-32mg and I did a 2 month taper-the only real withdrawl i went through was pretty bad joint-muscle pain. It was like I had arthritis in my whole body. Fortunaately for me, it didnt last very long.

Anonymous Guest

Default I wouldnt

Quote Originally Posted by Stella Blue View Post
    Oh man, while I appreciate your post, it's also scaring the hell outta me. I'm having second thoughts on even going on the stuff. I don't wanna do the slow shuffle and I sure as heck don't wanna get hooked.

Now that I'm down to 1/2 vic so far today from a 10+ a day habit, I'm thinking of jumping off without the Sub. The Sub is honestly starting to scare me.

Also, just wondering if you went on the Sub for cravings ? You said you were clean for a few months and then went on it ? Jeezus, I didn't know the cravings would last that long.

Every one of us is unique and must battle this our way, regardless of what we are dependent on. I'm hoping to taper off vic's and go to N.A. for the mental part. I figure I'm gonna have to taper off of Sub anyways. Just not really seeing much of a difference at this point.

As for feeling sluggish on the Sub, maybe you could try to cut back a little each day. Just a little. Prolly not a good idea to throw your body into hardcore withdrawals/shock like I did but just taper.

However, I will say that I personally think w/d's are great for soul-searching. Standing in a hot shower crying your eyes out and so sick/sore your bones hurt really makes a mental impact.

I dunno, just a thought. Hopefully some more experienced members will come along and advise.

Good luck and be strong. Whatever you decide, you DO have the strength.
    If you are down to 1/2 a vicodin a day I would say NO to the suboxone . It is very strong and you will be on it for awhile to even get to to a comprable level of 1/2 of a vicodin. I think your plan to go to NA is good as the suboxone does help with cravings but you eventually have to get off those too

tootienkyle is offline New Member

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by musicman48 View Post
    I have never heard of suboxone causing pain.However, suboxone does not help with pain for most people.Could the pain you are having be surfacing because you are coming off of pain pills.In other words the pain was there before but you could not feel it because you were numb from the pain pills ?
    When I stated suboxone all of my nerve/back pain came back.Good luck.MM

He checked me for arthritis, lupus, checked my ana (blood work)...everything is ok. I had these symptoms when I went on an antidepressant also (remeron)..thats what makes me think that all this pain is being caused by the med. I think my body just responds to things differently. Thanks for your help though! I appreciate that someone answered me.

Tralalalala is offline New Member

Default Maybe its other neurotransmitters?

Just wanted to weigh in on this even though it is an old thread. I believe that years of opiate abuse changes one's brain chemistry and not just having to do with opiate receptors and their natural neurotransmitters but possibly many other receptors. When one part of the system goes out of whack, the all do, to some degree, in order to compensate. This is my theory.
    My personal experience is that when I started taking my subs, I too experienced joint pain. Not so much muscle pain but definitely noticed joint pain which wasn't present or noticable when I was dependent on painkillers or before I started taking them. While on subs, I started taking SAME for the anti-depressant effects, of which I felt none, but it did have the surprising benefit of making my joint pain lessen dramatically and finally disappear completely with regular dosing of SAME. I stopped the SAME for a period and voila, the pain came back so now I take a small dose of it regularly along with my suboxone. My Pdoc, who prescribes my subs, knows I take SAME and says it is entirely safe to take at the doseage I am on.
    Why would SAME work this way? Joint pain is indicated for taking SAME, along with depression. I believe that it works to supply more seratonin and possibly help correct my damaged balance of neuro transmitters. Many non-opiate addicts are treated with anti-depressants, which have a similar action to SAME, for all kinds of pain leading one to believe that pain can be caused by an imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain. Not all pain can be treated that way but some can. So, in my case, I don't necessarily believe it is the suboxone causing the joint pain but more like the damage done to the brain and body by opiate abuse/addiction/dependance. I don't know how much of that damage will be corrected or healed over time, providing I stay off full agonist opiates, but my opinion is that many of us will never completely return, physically and mentally, to what we were before beginning our opiate use. The amount of healing in the brain probably varies by individual because all the variables. I believe my painkiller use both caused and masked my joint pain while I was still abusing them. Once on suboxone, it became noticable. If your dr approves, try a SAME test and see if it works for you.
    Last edited by Tralalalala; 06-18-2009 at 08:26 AM.

gingerhaven is offline New Member

Talking Re: Suboxone Pain

Yes, oh my god yes, I have aching and sore to touch joints from suboxone. I have been on suboxone for a little over a year and I have had pain for just about the whole duration, also I get constant night sweats from suboxone. its been a blessing to get off my drug of choice but now I am afraid of what will happen when I actually try to get off suboxone. Athough I am not ready to proceed with getting off suboxone I know I need to at some point. Wat to many side effects and Im afraid they do not know enough drug for me to use it long term. there are major side effects that have not subsided with my use of suboxone.

RubyDean is offline Member

I don't know for sure, but in my experience having been on subs for 6 months, the only time i feel like that, or run over by a truck is when i think i need more, and i took too much. suboxone is strong stuff, and i mean powerful. so if your body is used to a certian dosage and you happen to take more then you may feel bad, especially in the morning. i would say to the original poster, being off your DOC for 4 months and then starting suboxone is counter productive to me, and especially being at that high a dosage, 16mg is insane at that stage. i realize most likely it is your doctor who is to blame, but please by all means start to taper. i strongly urge anyone to follow the taper plan, and try to not stay on subs for more than a few months, and stay making progress on a taper plan.