suboxone and mood swings
    alexandra21 is offline New Member

Default suboxone and mood swings

My boyfriend has been taking suboxone for about 3 months now. We have been dating for about 3 years and over the course of that he has been addicted to loratabs, oxys, pretty much anything he could get his hands on. While the improvement is obvious he acts the same way he did while on pills. He is cold, withdrawn, and gets agitated very easily. I have seen him 100% clean and know this isnt normal behavior. Does suboxone have the same effect on moods as pain killers? If he doesnt take the suboxone as soon as he wakes up he is in a foul mood. He is perscribed librium but also takes unperscribed xanax everyday (towards the evening after class) It seems to be small doses but does this effect the suboxone. I just want to know if this is normal (on the suboxone) and if so when should he stop taking it? Im trying to be supportive but its hard when he is just as cruel as he was when he was on pills. Please help I have nowhere else to turn.
    Last edited by alexandra21; 02-13-2009 at 01:52 PM.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Taking librium and xanax together is a good sign that he is addicted to benzodiazepines. This is likely the reason for the mood swings. These drugs are not meant to be taking everyday for long periods of times as they definately can lead to depressive states. I haven't heard of suboxone itself causing these type of mood swings. If the xanax isn't prescribe then you can bet he's abusing it. He needs to get into a detox for benzo addiction as it can be very dangerous coming off them..Good luck....Dave

SimonGF is offline Member

I don't take any benzos, and I get worked up or angry at the drop of a hat. I've been on Suboxone for three weeks two days. My family is supportive of me being clean and are happy for this, but I'm almost impossible to be around. I blow up at the smallest stuff. I'm also not in the least bit affectionate. If it weren't for the anti-craving benefits of sub I don't know what I would do. I know I'm not as wound up when I am completely clean.

If you find an answer to this, please let me know about it.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Simon ... you've only been doing this for a few weeks. You haven't even gotten completely past the opiate detox yet. You'll get better with time.

alexandra ... Dave is right. Your boyfriend is still an addict. He needs help. The suboxone isn't making him act like he is acting. His problem is that he is a drug addict and needs to be medically detoxed or he will continue to deteriorate. That is a guarantee. Good luck and God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

icandoitin08 is offline Member

alexandra: Look on the internet for drug interactions between the drugs he is taking. He is risking his life for pills!

Information for Patients:
    Patients should inform their family members that, in the event of emergency, the treating
    physician or emergency room staff should be informed that the patient is physically dependent
    on narcotics and that the patient is being treated with SUBOXONE or SUBUTEX.
    Patients should be cautioned that a serious overdose and death may occur if benzodiazepines,
    sedatives, tranquilizers, antidepressants, or alcohol are taken at the same time as SUBOXONE
    or SUBUTEX.

Good luck to you!
    Cheryl
    Last edited by ddcmod; 08-31-2011 at 10:33 PM.
    Cheryl
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Every day you don't use, Give your
    self a HUG and do something nice for
    yourself!

Ken 09 is offline New Member

I've been on Suboxone for a few months and as soon as my life started to settle down and return to what otherwise would be considered normal I started to notice that I had become a somewhat angrier person. I was also definitely moodier too, one moment i'd be fine, and then a moment later i'd be letting the smallest little inconsequential thing send me into a little fit. Now that i'm more aware of my surroundings and recovery in general Ive been able to deal with life a little bit better. To answer your question directly, yes, i think suboxone can (in some cases) cause some anger problems. At least it did for me. In your bf's case, the benzo thing (the stress of abusing them) may also play a big role in his behavior. The fact is, when someone is in the throws of active addiction their behavior can be very erratic and cannot be properly interpreted or attributed to any one thing. As someone has previously suggested, i think you should try and get him into detox for the benzos and then go from there. Good luck. Ken

Default reactions to suboxone

I would be very surprised to find anyone on subutex rather than suboxone having the problems mentioned on this thread. The naloxone in suboxone causes lots of different reactions that have been ignored by drs since I first started paying attention to this drug. I've seen one dr after another basically say that what I am claiming is wrong and that there are not side effects from the naloxone. I know better, I've worked with too many people on both medications.

I don't know why drs continue to RX suboxone for almost everyone. All that naloxone does is help keep IV drug users from abusing the medication. That is fine but I don't shoot drugs and have no desire to take a medication that I don't need and that has unpleasant side effects. It's almost standard procedure to RX suboxone for everyone. That is nonsense and something should be done about it. I promise that lots of people experience adverse reactions to the naloxone. Straight buprenorphine as in subutex doesn't have the same side effects that is found in suboxone.

I'm not saying that everyone who has a problem or adverse side effect with suboxone is being prescribed the wrong medication. I'm saying that suboxone is prescribed too often when subutex would be a better alternative for that particular patient.

The medical community has continued to ignore, even deny the adverse side effects even exist for lots of suboxone/naloxone patients. I don't understand why this happens, it makes no sense. I promise that if more patients were to receive subutex rather than suboxone there would be less problems with some of the side effects we read about including what's being mentioned on this particular thread. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 02-13-2009 at 11:55 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I would be very surprised to find anyone on subutex rather than suboxone having the problems mentioned on this thread. The naloxone in suboxone causes lots of different reactions that have been ignored by drs since I first started paying attention to this drug. I've seen one dr after another basically say that what I am claiming is wrong and that there are not side effects from the naloxone. I know better, I've worked with too many people on both medications.

I don't know why drs continue to RX suboxone for almost everyone. All that naloxone does is help keep IV drug users from abusing the medication. That is fine but I don't shoot drugs and have no desire to take a medication that I don't need and that has unpleasant side effects. It's almost standard procedure to RX suboxone for everyone. That is nonsense and something should be done about it. I promise that lots of people experience adverse reactions to the naloxone. Straight buprenorphine as in subutex doesn't have the same side effects that is found in suboxone.

I'm not saying that everyone who has a problem or adverse side effect with suboxone is being prescribed the wrong medication. I'm saying that suboxone is prescribed too often when subutex would be a better alternative for that particular patient.

The medical community has continued to ignore, even deny the adverse side effects even exist for lots of suboxone/naloxone patients. I don't understand why this happens, it makes no sense. I promise that if more patients were to receive subutex rather than suboxone there would be less problems with some of the side effects we read about including what's being mentioned on this particular thread. God bless.
    hi robert, simon and all....as my recent posts have expressed, i am struggling w/ mood swings too, tho' mostly more on the emotional side of crying, but noticed the past few days i got worked up/more irritable than normal...tho' i'm not sure how much of this is the suboxone, or just my own internal wiring and personal issues....having been thru' years of therapy and actually having worked specifically on rage/anger issues, which i can honestly say i made a lot of progress w/....i had to address those issues in myself and everyone who knew me at that time all agreed i made some major changes and it is still something i have to be aware of and work on....but even w/ all this said, i'm really not sure how much of this is the suboxone ( or the naloxone in it; which i am going to discuss w/ my dr. on tuesday, per roberts suggestions; i.e. try to switch to the subutex)
    ....or if much of this is what many of us have been discussing on this site....and that is all of us dealing w/ emotions that have been masked, suppressed,etc via the usage of opiates...i know at least for me, that's why i took opiates; they made everything easier to deal w/ in life...or so i thought...of course i know better now....
    Simon, i know exactly what you're feeling and i want you to know you have really helped me, each time i read about your struggle...you have come so far and i know you are helping many others on this site too....please remember this little thought the next time you're feeling frustrated or angry or not affectionate and don't be so hard on yourself...maybe try to replace those feelings w/ the thought of how much of an asset and strength you have been for me and others going thru' this too....you seem to be a very intelligent and strong person and you articulate what you are going thru' in such a clear and relatable way; i for one have found strength from you and especially the past few days when i had some doubts about being able to stick w/ this and some of my cravings or desires, to just try one time a little bit of some opiate....cuz i still kind of miss that feeling, especially w/ these heightened emotions....does this make sense?...

Robert, today is day 14 on the sub and i can't believe it....i think i've been at the 4mg twice a day for about a week now....and am feeling about the same, except the past two days w/ some cravings kind of coming back a little stronger than the days before this..?...tho' i haven't given in to them and am trying very hard not too....what is your experience w/ this stage i'm at and what is your suggestion for this coming week?...i've read a bit more on this site and i know you have said everyone is different...one thing i'm confused about is the length of time someone has used and quantity of opiates and then how long they will then ned to be on the suboxone....is my interpretation correct that we strive for around 6-8 weeks total...or do you find w/ someone w/ my long term/high usage, sometimes needs longer...just wondering, tho' you know my goal is to be on the sub as short as possible; i just have a lot of fear about relapse as soon as i'm off the sub...i know, i'm way ahead of myself...just having some doubts and fears...
    hope all is well, haven't talked to you in a day or so...
    peace, Lilly

Anonymous Guest

Hi Lilly
    Your doing great...with only 14 days into this I'm sure your nervous system is still a little frazzled just give it a little more time,and your emotions will settle down..
    This is just my take on the suboxone,,It should be for short term only, If you take it longer you will just be addicted to it.
    It is still an opiate.
    Try to fill your life with things that make you happy and try not to hide behind the opiates.
    That is your best bet for being drug free...Not just switching to another drug...
    Your doing so good lilly,Im very proud of you ...
    Keep up the good work...
    Talk to you later, Melinda

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by icandoitin08 View Post
    alexandra: Look on the internet for drug interactions between the drugs he is taking. He is risking his life for pills!

Patients should inform their family members that, in the event of emergency, the treating
    physician or emergency room staff should be informed that the patient is physically dependent
    Patients should be cautioned that a serious overdose and death may occur if benzodiazepines,
    sedatives, tranquilizers, antidepressants, or alcohol are taken at the same time as SUBOXONE
    or SUBUTEX.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/2002/20732lbl.pdf

Good luck to you!
    Cheryl
    hi robert and all...
    i have been meaning to ask this question for awhile....does anyone know the difference w/ the suboxone warnings and interactions w/ benzos, alcohol, etc., and if these warnings are any different from the same type of warnings we have all known about w/ the various opiates ( like perc's, vic, lortabs,etc) becuz they all say the same type of warnings....and yet, myself and many others on this site have all admitted to years of mixing all types of these things w/ the opiates ( yes, dangerously so and playing russian roulate) and yes, many have died as a result or have had near overdoses....but what i am confused about, is if these warnings for the suboxone is the same as for the other opiates, becuz suboxone is also an opiate or if these warnings are somehow different in some respect due to the whole pharmaceutical/chemical nature of this unique medication....i'm not sure if i am asking this very clearly, but i am confused about the difference (other than what i know about the blocking property of the sub) between the suboxone's dangerous properties when mixed vs the same danger w/ other opiates when mixed; isn't it all the same thing that we all already know, or is it actually something even more dangerous?....just wondering and want to understand as much as i can about this suboxone....
    peace, Lilly

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by icandoitin08 View Post

or SUBUTEX.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/2002/20732lbl.pdf

Good luck to you!
    Cheryl
    hi robert and all...
    i have been meaning to ask this question for awhile....does anyone know the difference w/ the suboxone warnings and interactions w/ benzos, alcohol, etc., and if these warnings are any different from the same type of warnings we have all known about w/ the various opiates ( like perc's, vic, lortabs,etc) becuz they all say the same type of warnings....and yet, myself and many others on this site have all admitted to years of mixing all types of these things w/ the opiates ( yes, dangerously so and playing russian roulate) and yes, many have died as a result or have had near overdoses....but what i am confused about, is if these warnings for the suboxone is the same as for the other opiates, becuz suboxone is also an opiate or if these warnings are somehow different in some respect due to the whole pharmaceutical/chemical nature of this unique medication....i'm not sure if i am asking this very clearly, but i am confused about the difference (other than what i know about the blocking property of the sub) between the suboxone's dangerous properties when mixed vs the same danger w/ other opiates when mixed; isn't it all the same thing that we all already know, or is it actually something even more dangerous?....just wondering and want to understand as much as i can about this suboxone....
    peace, Lilly

mitchigan is offline Member

Default More info than you'll want!

Hi Lilly,

I hope you're doing better each day. The link that Cheryl left provides real good info on sub. Here is another that is for doctors to gain info. It's got a lot of esoteric jargon but it is EVERYTHING you would ever want to know. It's provided by the Dept. of Health and includes lots of citations to support their facts. You don't have to buy anything, just clink on the download acrobat file link on the page. You'll be able to prescribe sub after this! LOL

http://ncadistore.samhsa.gov/catalog...roductID=17946

Hope you have a lot of time to read! LOL

Best wishes, Greg

Default Lilly

Some of the warnings about drug interactions with suboxone/subutex and benzos are similar to the old warnings of mixing say lorcets or roxies with xanax bars and lots of somas all together. Yes we have all done it and the ones of us still here survived. But lots of people died from these cocktails of drugs as you know, or were left mentally challenged at best due to their refusal to take the medications appropriately. So that is my main concern. I'm not saying it will automatically kill everyone, I'm saying it's very dangerous and not worth the potential risk. I just figure I was so lucky to have survived all I did in the past that I should be grateful and not continue to place myself in harm's way if that makes sense.

I think in your case you should plan on staying at 8mg per day total a little while longer. 8mg is not that bad of a dose and it seems to me that you need that amount for now. Like I've said we are all a little different. You're doing better than you were and another week at 8mg will make you feel even better.

I don't think the amount of time we use opiates means we need subs for a longer amount of time. I used opiates for over 35 years, and LOTS of them. It's just that we are all different. But most people DON'T need suboxone for a long time. It's been proven over and again that short term use is what's best. I would suggest that you focus on recovery, work with a therapist, do recovery meetings, do things that cause lifestyle changes without using drugs. That is what a person should be aiming for, to get off the sub in a reasonable amount of time. For most people that is 6-8 weeks. For some others it may be a little longer. Then there a few that need it even longer, but those that need it longer should be on very minimal doses.

Just hang in there and you'll do fine. Another week of 8mg and you'll be past the worst of your opiate detox. All we will do then is reduce to 6mg so it won't be anything to freak out about. I won't suggest that you do anything that will be painful for you. Sometimes we need to push ourselves a little, but no reason to cause ourselves pain. God bless.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Some of the warnings about drug interactions with suboxone/subutex and benzos are similar to the old warnings of mixing say lorcets or roxies with xanax bars and lots of somas all together. Yes we have all done it and the ones of us still here survived. But lots of people died from these cocktails of drugs as you know, or were left mentally challenged at best due to their refusal to take the medications appropriately. So that is my main concern. I'm not saying it will automatically kill everyone, I'm saying it's very dangerous and not worth the potential risk. I just figure I was so lucky to have survived all I did in the past that I should be grateful and not continue to place myself in harm's way if that makes sense.

I think in your case you should plan on staying at 8mg per day total a little while longer. 8mg is not that bad of a dose and it seems to me that you need that amount for now. Like I've said we are all a little different. You're doing better than you were and another week at 8mg will make you feel even better.

I don't think the amount of time we use opiates means we need subs for a longer amount of time. I used opiates for over 35 years, and LOTS of them. It's just that we are all different. But most people DON'T need suboxone for a long time. It's been proven over and again that short term use is what's best. I would suggest that you focus on recovery, work with a therapist, do recovery meetings, do things that cause lifestyle changes without using drugs. That is what a person should be aiming for, to get off the sub in a reasonable amount of time. For most people that is 6-8 weeks. For some others it may be a little longer. Then there a few that need it even longer, but those that need it longer should be on very minimal doses.

Just hang in there and you'll do fine. Another week of 8mg and you'll be past the worst of your opiate detox. All we will do then is reduce to 6mg so it won't be anything to freak out about. I won't suggest that you do anything that will be painful for you. Sometimes we need to push ourselves a little, but no reason to cause ourselves pain. God bless.
    hi robert...you are probably at church, but i wanted to check in and thank you for getting back to me....your words always make me feel so good and re-assured... also you made me laugh w/ the "don't freak out" comment, cuz that is exactly what my kid's say to me all the time and sometimes one has to admit there is some truth in all the common denominators that constantly keep coming up in one's life....i mean there has to be some validity to some of it, especially when i hear this so often...just one more thing for me to relfect on, admit, grow from and move on, as everyone says.....
    anyway, yesterday was rough, as i already posted yesterday, but i got thru' it and today i am going to take some motivation from a few posts from yesterday and see if this helps....specifically;

Cheryl's; " we have to change in ourselves the reasons that started us abusing in the first place"...

and what you wrote; "focus on lifestyle changes that do not include taking drugs"...

for me, as i read these, i really felt the profoundness and simple truth of what they mean...i really have been thinking about both of these statements since yesterday, did a little journaling on this and some reading from "Blues Ain't Nothing but a Good Soul Feeling Bad"...and it all makes so much sense, but the challenge for me is actually applying this awareness; putting it into my day to day lifestyle....my therapist has said it's almost like a re-wiring of the brain, by replacing old habits and behaviors, w/ new habits and behavior patterns, (even tho they feel completely unnatural or even false)...as i'm understanding this, if we engage in these different patterns of behaviors it will start to feel more familiar or natural eventually?...anyway, this is what i took from what you wrote and how you too struggled w/ much of this during and after you got clean...i relate so much to what moneychick was saying about feeling like she is still living the same way even w/out using.....cuz that's what i am struggling w/ too, so therefore this contemplation on all of the above....i know other's who also are going thru' this.... maybe most of this is just sheer will, i don't know....but today i'm going to try to replace my usual habit of doing nothing and get the house cleaned, take a walk and actually go out and meet my kids for dinner....it's just a little step, but it's something i guess....if you have any other suggestions or insight on all of this, i am very open to any and all.
    hope you are having a good day,
    peace, Lilly

alexandra21 is offline New Member

Unhappy

Thank you all for your information and advice. A few nights ago I noticed that my boyfriends speech was a little slurred and his pupils were pin needles. I of course asked him for the truth and after trying first to convince me it was because he was looking into the light (this excuse is something i have never fallen for) He eventually confessed that he took a loratab. My question is, can he even feel the effects while on suboxone? Or is this a sign that he may have never completely stopped taking them to begin with if he is still getting high off of them? Im just very confused and upset. He is not speaking to me for getting upset ( I didnt yell at him I just left his house because I refuse to be around him while on pain killers) Is this a losing battle? Does someone with this problem even care or have the ability to care about the fact its destroying the people around them? I just learned my grandmother is dying and he wont even acknowledge it he's angry with me for being upset. I just love him so much but at this point in time he seems to be just the shell of the human being he used to be. Should I wait this out?