Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
suboxone or methadone
    jack5 is offline New Member

Default suboxone or methadone

I believe methadone (and buronephrine for that matter)are chemically a little different than other opiates and they are not really supposed to get you high like >>>>>> or oxy-codone. They do however, fill the opiod receptors in your brain so you don't withdraw and in methadone's case probably won't feel much pain. Methadone works really works really well in this regard, but unfortunately if you end up on a methadone maintenance program you are basically trading one drug for another. I've talked to a few people who tried to get off methadone... and they say it takes a couple of months to stop withdrawing, because it is a long lasting drug. A good friend once told me that if anyone ever offers you a methadone maintenance program, to just turn the other way and run. I've never known anyone who went to a methadone taper program, so I can't speak to that. I've personally used suboxone (just the buprenorphine no naloxone)when I needed to get clean and it worked like a charm. I was doing a brick (50 bags) of the purest >>>>>> on the east coast (Paterson) every 1-2 days and with the soboxone and some other drugs I was prescribed (lorazapam for anxiety and sleep, ambien to sleep, provigil for energy, wellburtrin and clonidine for blood pressure) I had an almost painless detox. Granted I'm twenty five and never had to live with chronic pain so maybe in that case methadone maintenance would be the lesser of two evils. At least in comparison to popping a **** load of hydro or percocets everyday, Considering the average hydrocodone and most oxycodones have a minimum of 500 milligrams of acetaminophen (aspirin) in them. If your popping 10-20 of them a day the toxicity of the aspirin will kill your liver before the hydro-or oxy codone will. The overdose levels for acetaminophen start around 10 grams and at 15G the fatalities start... So once you get around the 10-20 a day level you would be ingesting 5 - 10 grams respectively (I think 1000 milligrams equals a gram). One more fact about methadone I read is that more people die every year from drinking while on methadone then all >>>>>> users put together. So if your going to take methadone respect the fact that the interaction with other drugs could be intense and that if you don't do a taper program you might end up in the methadone clinic for the rest of your life. Even though it is probably better and socially more acceptable to be on methadone then an illegally attained opiate, keep in mind that if you need it everyday and are just paying less and getting it legally, your still a slave to the drug and probably a drug that is going to be harder to get off then other opiates (>>>>>>, oxy, etc..). I can't help like feeling that methadone, for people that truly have the goal to be chemically independent, is just an excuse to not have to quit completely and that instead of your dealer getting paid now the owner of some methadone clinic (sometimes the state) is profiting. In the end all I can do is speak from my personal experience... My partner in crime and my best friend, and coincidently the one I started using with ended up in a very similar circumstance. His parents pressured him into a methadone clinic, but I didn't follow. I just wasn't ready, and no matter what anyone tells you, if you don't decide once and for all that you are completely committed to cleaning up, it will never happen. NO ONE CAN CHANGE YOU BUT YOU. SO to make a long story short, we stopped hanging out and I lost touch with him for a couple of years. I ran into him the other day and he is in the same place he was two years ago....speeding down the interstate to get to the clinic before ten and if he arrives a minute late they shut the door on him and he's ****ed until the next day. (and you know how easy it would be in a situation like that to justify going to get some **** to hold you over till the next day...) Well, I'm just rambling now so I'll wrap it up. I personally recommend a suboxone program if you don't have chronic pain and your looking to get clean. I'll check back every now and then to see if anyone wants me to refer them to the guy I went to...

to those of you who are currently going through detox or have already done it, stay strong. I can say from personal experience that even though at first you will be a little depressed, once your brain chemistry gets back to normal your old self will start to come back... it is never to late to turn your life around. Life gets better and your strength returns... "This to shall pass"
    rick56 and bambam3399 like this.

lilevolone is offline New Member

thank you so much for writing this message ive been waiting for someone, anyone to have something negative to say about methadone all ive been reading is how methadone has taken all the withdrawl symptoms away and how there going from oxys to methadone????? WTF? they used to only prescribe it for iv >>>>>> addicts now 18 year old are dosing at the clinic just to pass that piss test. now please explain to me how its better 2 go from 7-14 days of withdrawls from H or ocs 2 90-140 days from methadone i just really dont understand how people especially parents are putting there kids or themselves on it unless its about the cash cuz it turns out that the state (welfare/medical) covers yr daily dose guess the gov. paying 2 get u high could be the plus?? anyway sorry for venting there i just wanted to say thanks for yr message it made me feel a lil better knowing that not every x addict will be running every light in town 4 that lil plastic cup

gingergirle is offline New Member

hi, i am glad suboxone worked for you. i tried it with little luck. i was in a study and everything was free but after 4 days of w/d symptoms i could not continue. unfortunatly i am not qualified to participate again, and i would like to give it another try. any info or direction is greatly appreciated. thanks

pc

boulonman is offline Junior Member

wow what a wealth of infor on subox vs. meth all in one page. i was crushed by a car while being a mechanic and put on some of the strongest pills out there and eventually "got down" to a dozen norcos a day, i entered a meth clinic to escape my insanity and now am completely hooked to meth and i really didnt know what detoxing was until i missed a couple dosages..now i'm all signed up for suboxone but my doc is waiting for me to drop down in the low forties before starting..doesnt subox wipe out the withdrawls of methadone?can you take subox just long enough to get rid of the methadone withdrawls then pull away from the suboxon without too much trouble? i'm tired of being hooked on one thing or the other but the withdrawls scare me so much that i tend not go cold turkey...this has nothing to do about machoissomo i bet even arnold would squirm going what all us addicts deal with almost on a daily
    baisis..peace to you all...

zodiac is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by gingergirle

hi, i am glad suboxone worked for you. i tried it with little luck. i was in a study and everything was free but after 4 days of w/d symptoms i could not continue. unfortunatly i am not qualified to participate again, and i would like to give it another try. any info or direction is greatly appreciated. thanks

pc
    Considering it was a study, maybe what you got was a placebo?
    Suboxone is completely wiping out my withdrawals except for the occassional anxiety and restlessness for which I have pills to take care of.

dutchman is offline Junior Member

Methadone is a very well-tested medication and is considered safe and efficacious for the treatment of narcotic withdrawal and dependence. It has been used to treat opioid addiction for more than 30 years now.
    Generally doctors prescribe it once daily and it is known to suppress narcotic withdrawal withing 24 to 36 hours time.

GRABBAG is offline New Member

I have used a variety of opiates similar to the story that you shared and when it comes down to it there is no comparison. The reason methadone takes so long to get out of your system is because is seeps into your bone marrow. Thus, when trying to get off the drug, you are left feeling miserable for a long period of time. However, i have been on Suboxone for a while and some days when i dont have or cant afford it i can do without due to the 72 hour half life of the drug. I think methadone turns a lot of folks into zombies, whereas with the suboxone i have an unbelievable amount of energy. On top of that i can actually eat and gain wheight back while on it. I'll conclude by saying that Suboxone has helped tremendously in my battle with opiates and i think the neurological time release with the drug is ingenious.

parker411 is offline New Member

I am scheduled for suboxone treatment beginning August 8th,and I am nervous as hell.I have a hydro habit,about 10-10mgs a day,and last year entered forced rehab by my employer without their knowledge of me being on 70 mgs of methadone per day.They knew about the methadone clinic in rehab,and dosed me with suboxone on day 3,and I went into severe withdrawals.
    The doctor told me no opiates for 48 hours before my suboxone appointment.I am scared to death.Any advice?????? What do I have in store for me?

parker smith

Shaneleo is offline Junior Member

I injured my back a year ago and have chronic pain every single day. I have been on methadone for about six months now. I take about 70-80mg per day and though it helps greatly with the pain and in some ways did make my quality of life better. On the flip side of that coin some of the personal aspects of my life have suffered greatly. I ended up getting discharged from my doctors office for misuse of the medication. So I tried stopping the methadone on my own (DON'T EVER TRY IT BY YOURSELF) and ended up in the ER last night (08-07-05) because of the withdrawls. While in the ER I was able to speak to a social worker who recomended a couple doctors in my area that prescribe Suboxone. I got on the phone a started calling every number I could and actually got into a doctor today (08-08-05). The doctor prescribed me Suboxone for my chronic pain and to help me get off the mehtadone. My problem is I have been doing quite a bit of reading online and find conflicting stories about Methadone vs Suboxone. The thing that scares me the most is feeling the pain that I have not felt for so long. Not to mention that I am supposed withdrawl 24-48 hours before I can start taking the Suboxone really scares me. I know what withdrawl feels like and don't wish it on anyone. Please Help Me!!!! Any advise at all will be helpful. I will be starting the Suboxone in about two days. Does anyone know about chronic pain and Suboxone. Anything to help me figure out what I should do. This is my life and I want it back.

shane

tomuchpain is offline Junior Member

[8)]Hi jack5 Ive been off and on methadone three times Iam a addict. This last time I messed up was in march of this year.I went back to the clinic I told her dr I don't want to be long term she said ok you tapered real well last time. Started at 60mg only stay on it for two weeks until all the >>>>>> was out of my body.I started to taper after two weeks later at 3mg. It took me until july to get of methadone. To get on the suboxone you need to be at about 40mgs for it work for most poeple. I have talked to poeple at the clinic that bad luck with it I don't know what dose they were on think it pretty high good luck CC PS I had no withdrawls

Thekicker is offline New Member

Hey Shane one question are you going on a suboxone maintaince program or just long enough to detox.I've been on a methadone clinic for over three years paying $95 a week. I was trying to detox off the clinic when the Dr. there first brought up the suboxone making it seem like a mirarcle drug but also said you had to be below 30mg of methadone to have it work, which I was. Called and got into a detox that used suboxone. I was kicked out of that detox for insurance reasons but made a big enough stink that the Dr. there wrote me a script for 9 8mg suboxone. Left the detox went out and used and started my home detox the next day. I waited untill mid morning before I took my first dose, I didn't have any withdrawls, besides mild pain in the legs. Right now I'm on my 3rd day with no suboxone, 12 days clean total and am feeling a little weak but would feel the same if I kicked the habit on my own or from a methadone detox. I didn't have any withdrawls that I've had from the past kicks and I've been through many in the last 17yrs of using. Good luck with the suboxone.

Kicker, and anyone who is on methadone and wants off. Or any other opioid for that matter. I am going to be on a suboxone program due to the fact that I have chronic back pain. I went to a methadone clinic today and was going to just bag the suboxone thing. While sitting in the methadone clinic when all of a sudden this voice says "shane get up and leave and go fill the suboxone" so I got up in the middle of this lady talking and I walked out and went to fill the Suboxone. I took the first dose under my tounge like I was supposed to, waited for it to disolve and then put the other one in just like my doctor told me to. I seen someone write that it only takes about 30 min for it to work so thats what I was expecting. When I got home after about thirty min I started to feel very very bad. I thought that I took it to early and now its forcing me into withdrawl. As you know with Suboxone if their is other opioids in your system it can be bad, thats why your supposed to be in withdrawl. Well I was in the begining of the second stages of withdrawl when I took it. So know im thinking oh great im going to feel like this forever now and this stuff is bull. The doses I took were making my withdrawl symtoms way worse than they were before I took the Suboxone. Don't know if anyone has ever had withdrawl from mehtadone but it is so bad and this stuff was making it worse.BUT THEN TO MY SURPRISE!!!!! I sat down on the couch and in an instant all my withdrawl symtoms were GONE!! I do mean in an instant. As long as it took me to go from a standing position to a sitting position it was GONE!!! I guess to get to heaven, sometimes you have to start from hell. What was happinging is the Suboxone was basically pushing the rest of the drugs out of my system. I am sitting here now after just and hour and a half after taking Suboxone and I AM TOTALLY WITHDRAWL FREE. I can already see that Suboxone is going to work great for me. My back pain is more prevalent then before but for the most part I feel pretty damn good. I haven't felt this way in a long time. Guess im going to have to get use to a little pain but thats ok. Gives me all the more reason to exersise. Just another quick little note, anyone who thinks that methadone will not get you high is wrong. If your use to opioids then it wont be that great of one but it will give you a feeling of eurphoria (i think that spelling is right) or as it did with me turn you into a zompie. Don't get me wrong Methadone is great for chronic pain and some people would not even have any life at all without it. I really hope this works for my back pain so I can keep taking it. From what I can tell right now its helping a little bit but not nearly as much as the methadone. I guess I will have to talk to the doc about that. Well I really hope this information is helpful to those who want an alternitive to methadone or other forms of narcotis. If you have any questions for me please just send me an email. Shane.Gangidino@Comcast.Net

shane

Jonesing is offline Member

quote:Originally posted by Shaneleo
    . Just another quick little note, anyone who thinks that methadone will not get you high is wrong. If your use to opioids then it wont be that great of one but it will give you a feeling of eurphoria (i think that spelling is right) or as it did with me turn you into a zompie. Don't get me wrong Methadone is great for chronic pain and some people would not even have any life at all without it. I really hope this works for my back pain so I can keep taking it. From what I can tell right now its helping a little bit but not nearly as much as the methadone. I guess I will have to talk to the doc about that. Well I really hope this information is helpful to those who want an alternitive to methadone or other forms of narcotis. If you have any questions for me please just send me an email. Shane.Gangidino@Comcast.Net

shane

Shane,

Glad I'm not the only one who catches a good buzz from methadone. Most people on here say it does nothing, but it definently gives me one. I can also take a lot less methadone and feel fine all day unlike when I'm taking oxy's. I've considered asking my pain doctor to switch me to methadone, but I'd really rather just quit via the suboxone treatment. I'm glad it worked for you and GOOD LUCK ! Stay clean ! Maybe one day soon I'm gonna get up the courage to beat this demon.[}]

Jonesing

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Jonesing

Originally posted by Shaneleo
    . Just another quick little note, anyone who thinks that methadone will not get you high is wrong. If your use to opioids then it wont be that great of one but it will give you a feeling of eurphoria (i think that spelling is right) or as it did with me turn you into a zompie. Don't get me wrong Methadone is great for chronic pain and some people would not even have any life at all without it. I really hope this works for my back pain so I can keep taking it. From what I can tell right now its helping a little bit but not nearly as much as the methadone. I guess I will have to talk to the doc about that. Well I really hope this information is helpful to those who want an alternitive to methadone or other forms of narcotis. If you have any questions for me please just send me an email. Shane.Gangidino@Comcast.Net

shane

Shane,

Glad I'm not the only one who catches a good buzz from methadone. Most people on here say it does nothing, but it definently gives me one. I can also take a lot less methadone and feel fine all day unlike when I'm taking oxy's. I've considered asking my pain doctor to switch me to methadone, but I'd really rather just quit via the suboxone treatment. I'm glad it worked for you and GOOD LUCK ! Stay clean ! Maybe one day soon I'm gonna get up the courage to beat this demon.[}]

Jonesing

Jonesing,

The move to Suboxone has been the best thing that I have ever done. It wasn,t a painless one but If I had the chance knowing what I know now I would do it a hundred times over. Thats the only thing that sucks is you have to be in withdrawal to start Suboxone or it will force you into rapid W/D and you will get very six. To give you an idea I was taking about 80mg of methadone per day before I left my doctor. I got myself down to 40mg per day then ran out of pills. About a day and a half later I started withdrawaling from the methadone. (It takes quite awhile to start withdrawaling from methadone becasue it builds up in your system) I went to the hospital that night because i couldn't take the withdrawals anymore. They gave me a shot of Dilatan to stop the withdrawals and gave me 15 10-325 perks until I can see a doctor. I could take three of them at once and not even feel anything, it would just stop the withdrawals for about 2 hours. I made them last two days some how. I took the last one two at 6:00am on 08-09-05 and I took my Suboxone (2-8mg pills under the tounge) at 1:30pm the same day. About thirty min later I actually started feeling worse and worse after about 45min I thought I might have taken it two early. (which when you do that it forces your body into withdrawal) I went to sit down on the couch to get on the web to see if I took it to early and this is not a joke, I was standing their and went to sit down, the second I hit the couch everything was gone. All the withdrawal symptoms, bad sweats, tremors, yawning, cramps, cold sweats, hot sweats, goose bumps and a whole other slue of >>>> was gone. My second day and I am feeling the best I have felt in years. No withdrawal symptoms, depression or cravings. The first night it did nothing for my pain but woke up the second day and the pain feels a lot better. This stuff was sent here from GOD himself. (If you believe in that) other wise its just a really really super thing. I really think you should give Suboxone a shot. Most insurances will pay most of the cost otherwise the medication is kind of expensive. About 325 for 60 8mg pills. I only have to pay 40 bucks for them. Good luck to you and please sent me an email if you or anyone else has any questions. Shane.Gangidino@comcast.net THIS SITE IS A HUGE SUPPORT SYSTEM AND YOU KNOW YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

shane

skidroe is offline New Member

I have been methadone for a year and just quit and been on sub for one week now.Its weird, i feel better with alot less withdrawl symptons than with not taking anything. But feel kinda tired and really irattable though. I am taking 16mg a day.Am I taking enough You think? I really cant tell with suboxone, It doesnt feel anything at all like an opiat. I dont feel anything as a matter of fact. I just dont feel like I am withdrawing as bad as If I didnt have it at all.I am still having serious urges.

skidroe

sydbean is offline Member

Skidroe ~ I don't know if you realized this but you attached your response to a thread that is from 2005....You can head over to the Pain killer addiction thread in Featured Conditions Forum and you will find some really great people to talk with that have experience with what you are going through.

Hope to see you there!!

Tiff28428 is offline Junior Member

you wanted info on suboxone maybe i can help I called around and finally found a dr. 2 hours away I drive there once a month to get a refill it is however very costly but VERY worth it I got my life back and my kids have their mommy back good luck to you
    quote:Originally posted by gingergirle

pc

tamara02 is offline Banned

tamara02 is offline Banned

leadam123 is offline New Member

Default methadone vs. suboxone

I am a new recovering addict, per say. I started NA meetings without telling anyone I was on suboxone treatment. I went from 4 mgs 3x a day down to 2mg once a day. I had the worse withdrawl symptoms ever from this drug, besides the fact it is 7 times the price of methadone. I did quite a bit of consideration before switching. Today is my first dose of methadone, 10mg and it is 9:30pm. I only took it about half hour ago. I am feeling a little bit tingly but the full effect has not taken place yet. I was snorting OXY IR and suboxone is for milder opiate cases like vicodin or lortabs and would not recommend it for >>>>>>, oxy or all the really strong opiates. This is just my opinion. Thanks for reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilevolone View Post
    thank you so much for writing this message ive been waiting for someone, anyone to have something negative to say about methadone all ive been reading is how methadone has taken all the withdrawl symptoms away and how there going from oxys to methadone????? WTF? they used to only prescribe it for iv >>>>>> addicts now 18 year old are dosing at the clinic just to pass that piss test. now please explain to me how its better 2 go from 7-14 days of withdrawls from H or ocs 2 90-140 days from methadone i just really dont understand how people especially parents are putting there kids or themselves on it unless its about the cash cuz it turns out that the state (welfare/medical) covers yr daily dose guess the gov. paying 2 get u high could be the plus?? anyway sorry for venting there i just wanted to say thanks for yr message it made me feel a lil better knowing that not every x addict will be running every light in town 4 that lil plastic cup

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Buprenorphene (suboxone,subutex) is tailor made for milder addiction (for lack of a better phrase,sorry).Methadone is really the end of the road and should really only be used on your hard core daily addict.
    My methadone doctor tries to take patients only with a minimum 5 years daily abuse.He finds that most addicts that aren't daily heavy users tend to get sedated from methadone which it should not do if your ready for it.
    I started on methadone 7 years ago and started out at 400mgs a day.I never nodded or was sedated.I stayed at that dose for 3.5 years and then felt I had progressed far enough in my recovery to start coming down.I'm now at 165mgs a day and feel the same as I did at 400mgs which is a great sign that I was ready to come down in my dose.
    Buprenorphene is a partial antagonist but just the same is quite a powerful drug.It has an extremely long half life and a huge affinity to the opiate receptors in the body.
    Buprenorphene is an exellent drug for someone say whoi has been on percocets for a couple years ect............Dave

Robert_325 is offline Retired

I continue to hear the phrase "mild addiction" relating to using buprenorphine vs methadone for treating opiate addiction. I just don't buy into the story that buprenorphine is for those of who really don't have a "serious" opiate problem. What the hell is a serious problem??? I won't romance or brag about my opiate use over the years. It was certainly nothing to brag about. But I did LOTS of serious opiates over a period of four decades. I know what a lot is I assure you. I don't bring this up because I want recognition for being fried, I just don't agree at all with this method of defining who should be using which drug for detoxing.

I believe that the choice between methadone and buprenorphine is fairly simple. And whether we abused >>>>>> or oxy or lortabs, that should not be the primary determining factor. I will agree that someone taking 4 lortabs a day doesn't need to be on methadone. But not because their addiction isn't serious. It's because methadone should be a last resort medication. If we have a situation where we will be on this type of medication for many years to come, or forever, then methadone is the obvious choice. If we require a medication for detox only, or for a shorter term ... weeks, months, or even a year or longer, but not permanent, then buprenorphine is definitely a viable option. The reasons for making methadone a last resort is a subject for another thread on this forum. Methadone is a great med, it can be a life saver. It should be used though when we have exhausted other options in my opinion.

Buprenorphine makes sense and it has been proven effective for treating >>>>>> addiction as well as RX meds. I talk with >>>>>> addicts online every week on another forum who are using or have used suboxone for detox and it worked great for them when they used it properly ... didn't score it on the streets or some similar nonsense.

I am not saying that everyone in opiate replacement therapy should be given suboxone rather than methadone. It's not a black and white situation. There is more than one medication for most illnesses. Drs should look at the individual circumstances and requirements of the patient and make a determination based on THAT rather than trying to determine if this patient was a "serious" addict or simply a weekend warrior who can get away with a little suboxone vs the methadone which is the real stuff for "serious" addicts.

Not trying to be argumentative folks. I just continue to see people writing about what is serious and what isn't ... what is serious medication and what is not. I would hate to see someone who doesn't want to go on methadone for whatever reason think that suboxone will not work for them because of something they read on this forum. The suboxone might have saved that person's life if they had tried it. Good luck.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 08-03-2008 at 07:40 PM.

bev49 is offline Banned

Amen, Rob.... Addiction is serious, period. Methadone is a last resort because you will tend to be on it a long time. I have alot of resentment for the programs here in NY. I don't know how it is in other states, but in NY you will NEVER hear a counselor or clinic doc advise, suggest or encourage anyone to attempt to get off or even come down in dose. I was never on more than 80 mgs. but had to figure out for myself that it was time to try to get lower. If anything, they discourage you here in NY. If a person used methadone as a 30 day detox, would that not be the same as suboxone sort of? I'm not sure. I just know in my case, I must have been brain dead. 33 years went by and I never thought it might be time to get off. After the first 10 or so I felt it would be nearly impossible and determined that I would be on meth for life. Thank God for suboxone. Going to week 3, down from 24 mgs. a day to 12, and feeling fine. It doesn't matter what your opiate of choice was. The decision is do you want to be in treatment for a long time. Do you think you need the time? Or do you want to try to be on opiate replacement shorter term and try to quit. My opinion and suggestion is usually to try the short term first. The methadone programs will always be there later on if you need them. My other suggestion, and I always tell this to younger people on the meth program that I meet, is do not stay on longer than 1-2 years or even less. If your life stabilizes, give getting off at least a shot. If you don't it's gonna be a long stretch. This is just my opinion but I've seen it over and over again.

momofsons is offline New Member

Question soooooooooooo confused

i am so confused, i am the mom of three 20 something boys. The oldest has been on methadone for an oxy addiction for about 9 months now, he gets about 92 ml (?) a day. The middle son started going to the clinic for methadone to treat a >>>>>> addiction about 4 months ago, he says that he gets around 48 a day, which he has dropped from somewhere in the high 50's just in the past week. My youngest son and his girlfriend use herion, yesterday they told us they wanted to get clean, but he has tried methadone in the past and it isn't for him, so they want to quit >>>>>> cold turkey when they came to us they hadn't used for two days. Today would be their 3rd day without the drugs, except that her mother gave them 2 500mg of percoset to take the edge off, i think that is the term he used. My confusion is all over the place, first we just found out all of this within the past 10 days, so my emotions are all over the place. Next, the middle and youngest sons are currently unemployed. My husband and I have tried to gain as much info about all of this as we could these past few days, but it seems like the more i read the more confused i am. Our middle son says he wants to get off the the meth, so he is going down with the help of the clinic. We are currently trying to help our youngest son and his girlfriend detox here at home, cold turkey. Any advice for a mom who can't sleep, eat or drink for feeling like my whole world has just fallen out from under me????

leadam123 is offline New Member

Yes. They are much stronger Opiates and more closely controlled by the DEA. The only difference between Suboxone & Methadone vs. other opiates is the ingrediants of tylenol or ibuprofen which can hurt your liver. Suboxone does not go through the liver at all. So yes, methadone is basically >>>>>> or morphine and suboxone I would compare it to OXY IR!!

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by leadam123 View Post
    Yes. They are much stronger Opiates and more closely controlled by the DEA. The only difference between Suboxone & Methadone vs. other opiates is the ingrediants of tylenol or ibuprofen which can hurt your liver. Suboxone does not go through the liver at all. So yes, methadone is basically >>>>>> or morphine and suboxone I would compare it to OXY IR!!

There are a lot of differences in methadone or buprenorphine, the meds used in opiate replacement therapy, vs other opiates. Lots more differences than the apap. Where do you get that suboxone is the same as oxy IR and methadone is the same as morphine or >>>>>>??? You really should not tell people things like that when you are obviously not properly informed. I'm sure you mean well but your information is way off base.

saitada is offline New Member

Default sub to methdone to sub

I am trying to get off of a heavy >>>>>> habit. i am now on suboxone but i am in a lot of pain (still have sore kicking legs, back pain, can't sleep etc etc). i was thinking of taking some methadone for the pain, perhaps switching to it for a couple days, and if needed, going back on suboxone. i know that if you go from done to sub too quickly you will go through precipitated withdrawals, buuuut i'm not sure that if i have sub in my system, and done, if i can kind of do both or go back and forth without having to wait until in withdrawals again.

any experience with this? i'm afraid if i dont take some done very soon, i will stop the sub and get back on h, and i really dont want to start this process over again, i want to feel ok and able to move and sleep and taper off and be clean...

thank you.

kindra is offline New Member

Default Which is easier for detox?

I have been on Methadone for 2 years now. I stared the program when I was trying to kick a herion addiction. I know alot of people have the opinion that "Going on Methadone is just replacing one drug with another", however I dont agree. I got clean on Methadone, got my life back in order. It really worked for me because I wanted it too. I am in the process of decreasing my dose now so that I can get off of it completely and it is a very SLOW process if you do it right. So far Im down to 70 Mls from 100 and I feel fine, no withdraw symptons. I go down down 10 Mls a month. I was thinking of asking my doctor to switch me Suboxone once Im at about 30 Mls. Not sure if that is a good idea but from what I read its alot easier to withdraw off of Suboxone. Anyone know from experience?

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

I was on methadone for a very long time, much longer than you are. I switched to sub when I was on 25 mgs. methadone and the switch was painless. Getting down to 25 from my high dose of 80, doing it slowly, was painless also. You need to be down to at least 30 before switching and you need to be in withdrawal (72 hours approx. with no meth) to make the switch. This is the thing though. Suboxone is also extremely addictive and you either get on and taper quickly (like 21 days) or else it's just as hard as methadone to quit. Having said that, there are people on this forum who have gotten off sub with little problem. There are also people, myself included, who got down to .25 on sub, and the withdrawal was as bad as any I've had from >>>>>> or methadone. So, just do tons of research before you make a decision.

stuckinarut is offline New Member

Smile I agree

Thanks for your advise..it is to late for me to take it though..I wish I would have been in the right state of mind to do some research about methadone before I got on it. I was desperate and a clinic opened 15 miles from my home. I was addicted to pain pills, ect. never used >>>>>>, came close but luckily I wasn't withdrawing or I would have. I know atleast 15 people who have overdosed on >>>>>> (and died) I didn't want to be one of them so I stuck to pills and patches and any other thing I could get my hands on, it was sad. I wlmost lost my home because i couldn't pay the rent one month, I spent the money on patches. so my friend drove me to this clinic that just opened, I didn'ty know where we were going until we pulled in. I didn't know much about methadone, I did know that I had bought it in the past to get high with. so ofcoarse I walked in and was all for getting on it. Boy did I mess up, that was almost 4 yrs ago and I am still trying to get off of it. I don't know why in the world the nurse would let me go up so high, I was on 165mg for 2 yrs. I wanted off it so I started driving there everyday, (I have my one day a wweek priveleges) if you want to decrease faster than 5mg every three weeks you have to go daily so they can minitor you. I think thats a load of ????. If you want to feel like ???? coming off it to quick, then so be it. I drove for 2 months, every Monday dropping 5mg, then it hit me like a ton of bricks...I was SO sick..for a week, had to go back up 2 times (5mg each time) so now I am on 105mg. This is the worst thing I have ever been addicted to. I regret getting on it, I regret going up so high. I stopped feeling 'high' after a month of being on it, so I went up more and more trying to gret that feeling. When I realized I wasnt going to get it back I stopped and life smacked me in the face. I went from 120 pounds to 180 pounds, I was on 165mg of methadone, wasn't high anmymore, and hated myself. I got myself together ater 1 yr of being on it, I thank God that I was able to put the pill habbit to rest but i still am addicted to opiates. I was referred to a pain clinic that only gives methadone for cronic pain and I dont know why I didnt go, I have deg. disk dis, lupus, amoung other hip and leg problems from a car wreck in 1999. my body hurts daily but I can deal with it, now I am just rambling also, I just wanted to thank you for your story and let others know there is someone else who is experiencing the effects of methadone addiction, suboxone is def. the way to go. God Bless All...
    Quote Originally Posted by jack5 View Post
    I believe methadone (and buronephrine for that matter)are chemically a little different than other opiates and they are not really supposed to get you high like >>>>>> or oxy-codone. They do however, fill the opiod receptors in your brain so you don't withdraw and in methadone's case probably won't feel much pain. Methadone works really works really well in this regard, but unfortunately if you end up on a methadone maintenance program you are basically trading one drug for another. I've talked to a few people who tried to get off methadone... and they say it takes a couple of months to stop withdrawing, because it is a long lasting drug. A good friend once told me that if anyone ever offers you a methadone maintenance program, to just turn the other way and run. I've never known anyone who went to a methadone taper program, so I can't speak to that. I've personally used suboxone (just the buprenorphine no naloxone)when I needed to get clean and it worked like a charm. I was doing a brick (50 bags) of the purest >>>>>> on the east coast (Paterson) every 1-2 days and with the soboxone and some other drugs I was prescribed (lorazapam for anxiety and sleep, ambien to sleep, provigil for energy, wellburtrin and clonidine for blood pressure) I had an almost painless detox. Granted I'm twenty five and never had to live with chronic pain so maybe in that case methadone maintenance would be the lesser of two evils. At least in comparison to popping a **** load of hydro or percocets everyday, Considering the average hydrocodone and most oxycodones have a minimum of 500 milligrams of acetaminophen (aspirin) in them. If your popping 10-20 of them a day the toxicity of the aspirin will kill your liver before the hydro-or oxy codone will. The overdose levels for acetaminophen start around 10 grams and at 15G the fatalities start... So once you get around the 10-20 a day level you would be ingesting 5 - 10 grams respectively (I think 1000 milligrams equals a gram). One more fact about methadone I read is that more people die every year from drinking while on methadone then all >>>>>> users put together. So if your going to take methadone respect the fact that the interaction with other drugs could be intense and that if you don't do a taper program you might end up in the methadone clinic for the rest of your life. Even though it is probably better and socially more acceptable to be on methadone then an illegally attained opiate, keep in mind that if you need it everyday and are just paying less and getting it legally, your still a slave to the drug and probably a drug that is going to be harder to get off then other opiates (>>>>>>, oxy, etc..). I can't help like feeling that methadone, for people that truly have the goal to be chemically independent, is just an excuse to not have to quit completely and that instead of your dealer getting paid now the owner of some methadone clinic (sometimes the state) is profiting. In the end all I can do is speak from my personal experience... My partner in crime and my best friend, and coincidently the one I started using with ended up in a very similar circumstance. His parents pressured him into a methadone clinic, but I didn't follow. I just wasn't ready, and no matter what anyone tells you, if you don't decide once and for all that you are completely committed to cleaning up, it will never happen. NO ONE CAN CHANGE YOU BUT YOU. SO to make a long story short, we stopped hanging out and I lost touch with him for a couple of years. I ran into him the other day and he is in the same place he was two years ago....speeding down the interstate to get to the clinic before ten and if he arrives a minute late they shut the door on him and he's ****ed until the next day. (and you know how easy it would be in a situation like that to justify going to get some **** to hold you over till the next day...) Well, I'm just rambling now so I'll wrap it up. I personally recommend a suboxone program if you don't have chronic pain and your looking to get clean. I'll check back every now and then to see if anyone wants me to refer them to the guy I went to...

to those of you who are currently going through detox or have already done it, stay strong. I can say from personal experience that even though at first you will be a little depressed, once your brain chemistry gets back to normal your old self will start to come back... it is never to late to turn your life around. Life gets better and your strength returns... "This to shall pass"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast