Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Suboxone induction tomorrow...a little nervous
    leopard_print is offline Junior Member

Default Suboxone induction tomorrow...a little nervous

Hello,
    I have an appt for a reasonably priced & caring-sounding Sub clinic tomorrow. It seems like from this forum that a lot of people have had negative experiences their first dose/induction. I have been on methadone before (for mostly >>>>>>) and liked it because it gave you that little "high" but allowed you to live a normal life too.
    I'm doing the Sub this time (for mixed >>>>>> & pharms) so I don't have to be chained to a clinic w/a bunch of druggies and criminals (sorry but it's true). Once you get established on your dose, can anyone explain what the "feeling" is like? Do you get that opiate calm? There are so many horror stories on this forum I feel like I should just go back on methadone becasue it's more predictable.
    The clinic I'm going to is a mixed meth/Sub clinic. My appt is tomorrow AM & am in beginning w/drawal.
    Thanks for any advice, this is my 1st post.

--Elise

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by leopard_print View Post
    Hello,
    I have an appt for a reasonably priced & caring-sounding Sub clinic tomorrow. It seems like from this forum that a lot of people have had negative experiences their first dose/induction. I have been on methadone before (for mostly >>>>>>) and liked it because it gave you that little "high" but allowed you to live a normal life too.

I'm doing the Sub this time (for mixed >>>>>> & pharms) so I don't have to be chained to a clinic w/a bunch of druggies and criminals (sorry but it's true). Once you get established on your dose, can anyone explain what the "feeling" is like? Do you get that opiate calm? There are so many horror stories on this forum I feel like I should just go back on methadone becasue it's more predictable.
    The clinic I'm going to is a mixed meth/Sub clinic. My appt is tomorrow AM & am in beginning w/drawal.

Thanks for any advice, this is my 1st post.

--Elise

Elise ... suboxone should work great for you. You read a lot of horror stories about suboxone because you only hear from the ones still having problems. Most of the people who used suboxone successfully have moved on. There are a few of us who have stuck around that had good experiences. Main thing is to use it properly. Don't start on too high of a dose and don't use it any longer than you need it to get past the opiate w/d. Seldom is it necessary to use suboxone any longer than a few months, usually only a month or so is plenty.

I never got any kind of a feeling with suboxone like I would with Oxy or other opiates. Buprenorphine which is the medication in suboxone is an opiate but it doesn't get me high. The main thing it did for me was simply make me feel normal. I stopped the old behaviors almost immediately. Just relax and don't go off the w/ds you are doing now. It's very important to start out the right way. Keep us posted. Good luck.

sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member

Default it works

Rob is right. Sub works very well. No high to it. THe most important thing I found is drink fld and stay on the lowest dose you can that keeps you out of withdrawl. I had a bad experience with the doc that I chose but now that I am on track I am doing great. (thanks to Rob) More Sub does not make you feel better it will just give you more side effect. I started at 40 that was soooo unessasary. Now ween down to 16mg today and feel absoulty wonderful. I was having sweats and no sleep. Now very few sweats and beginning to regain the ability to sleep. Good luck and God Bless.

harechrisna is offline New Member

Default Definitely works!!

It definitely works. I can't say enough about suboxone. I'm currently on a 4 week program and this week will be my last. This was probably the single most important decision I've made and I am so happy I did. If you have any questions just ask.
    And Sisterwin2 is right, Robert_325 is such a big help. When I first started I was nervous, not knowing what to expect and Robert answered all my ques. and even worked out a taper plan that was much more useful then the one my Dr. had me on.
    You can trust his advice. Good Luck.

greaties73 is offline New Member

Hang in there! Robert_325 has been the biggest help for me. He is so right. Suboxone will work if you take it properly. I had a 6 roxy 30's a day habit (snorting them) Unfortunately, I took too little during my induction (2 mg every 12 hrs). DO NOT go that route. You will feel worse. I'm 68 hours on suboxone and increased my dosage another 6 mg (that's 8 mg today so far) and I can honestly tell you, I am feeling better for having done that. There are a lot of people including my close friend who swear by it. I am feeling an improvement (I'm 68 hrs into it so far). If your Dr. prescribes you clonidine, as Robert_325 told me, it's blood pressure medication. Not a good idea. Best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by greaties73 View Post
    Hang in there! Robert_325 has been the biggest help for me. He is so right. Suboxone will work if you take it properly. I had a 6 roxy 30's a day habit (snorting them) Unfortunately, I took too little during my induction (2 mg every 12 hrs). DO NOT go that route. You will feel worse. I'm 68 hours on suboxone and increased my dosage another 6 mg (that's 8 mg today so far) and I can honestly tell you, I am feeling better for having done that. There are a lot of people including my close friend who swear by it. I am feeling an improvement (I'm 68 hrs into it so far). If your Dr. prescribes you clonidine, as Robert_325 told me, it's blood pressure medication. Not a good idea. Best wishes

Remember that I said we have to be careful with the clonidine. Not that it isn't a good idea. Lots of drs recommend clonidine for help with opiate detox. I used it too the first time I detoxed from opiates. I simply suggested that we really watch it self-medicating with blood pressure medication as it can become dangerous. Just be careful .. know your blood pressure if you use it so you don't take your BP too low. Take care.

Thank you everyone for your kind words & support. I started at 8mg this AM with the option to go up to 12mg I think, tomorrow. I feel ok right now but sort of "could be better" feeling. All the staff at the clinic were really amazing, I didn't get the usual sigh and eye-roll when I told them I'm a nurse dealing with these issues. I'm of course taking some time off right now to get stable & actually contemplating a change of career. But that's a matter for another message board, right?
    I did actually take clonidine when I was on methadone (8+ years ago) and it dropped my normally low BP to a really low level (60/40 anyone?) and didn't really help much with the w/drawal.
    Again, thanks for your support, especially Robert_325!! Will update after my dose increase tomorrow.

greaties73 is offline New Member

I stand corrected, Robert_325. Thank you for clarifying using clonidine. I've been taking it since late Sunday evening. I was instructed to take 1 pill every 12 hours, but I noticed that I've been dizzy upon standing up and I know it has something to do with it decreasing your blood pressure.

Anyway, you should be feeling better in the next couple of days. Good luck!!
    Last edited by greaties73; 07-23-2008 at 12:55 PM.

Thank you everyone for your kind words & support. I started at 8mg this AM with the option to go up to 12mg I think, tomorrow. I feel ok right now but sort of "could be better" feeling. All the staff at the clinic were really amazing, I didn't get the usual sigh and eye-roll when I told them I'm a nurse dealing with these issues. I'm of course taking some time off right now to get stable & actually contemplating a change of career. But that's a matter for another message board, right?
    I did actually take clonidine when I was on methadone (8+ years ago) and it dropped my normally low BP to a really low level (60/40 anyone?) and didn't really help much with the w/drawal.
    Again, thanks for your support, especially Robert_325!! Will update after my dose increase tomorrow.

I am not trying to get in the way of what the dr said. But if he told you to take 12mg tomorrow anyway and you are still feeling questionable today I would take the other 4mg now if it were me. That would get you feeling right for sure and you would be stable and that much farther along in the process now rather than tomorrow. That is exactly what I took initially. I stayed at 12mg for three days then reduced to 8mg for between two and three weeks. Then I tapered off over a couple more weeks.

Your experience with the clonidine is obviously exactly what I was talking about. 60/40 is not a healthy BP. Same thing with greaties73 talking about getting dizzy standing up. We can't take blood pressure meds like we took opiates. We would all be dead for sure. Clonidine was like a standard in treating opiate addiction before Opiate Replacement Therapy using buprenorphine or methadone. So it is a good medication. Just really shouldn't be necessary with suboxone since we are not suffering w/ds.

I wish I could go up in dose right now, but this clinic is also a methadone clinic, so your first week is just like methadone - daily, in-person dosing. I am actually pretty cool with that, since I know how the addict way of thinking "if one is good, five is better" can be counter-productive with Sub. After the first week, the dosing is take-home.
    TTY tomorrow!! Thank you so much again!

We have alot in common.... I am a RN also.. I give you credit for telling your doc.. I did not bring it up I was a nurse.. the doc didnt ask either he just wanted his money. I started out at 40 mg which was way too high and had side effects with it.. weaned down pretty quickly after Rob told me it was not the norm to be on such a high dose. good luck and keep me posted too.

Sister

sexiduck is offline New Member

Default day 5 on suboxone

its been up and down for me. I was started Saturday 3-4 pills/day. I have been doing okay taking 2/day but I am having trouble with sleeping too deeply (ive been late to work three times this week already) very little appetitte and very depressed. Not sure if I should take more or not. Its scary to think about taking the full 3/day because of the reaction I have at 2/day so not sure really what to do. I'll loose my job if I'm late to work much more.

Not to mention theres tons of stress and I'm just about to fall apart. (for another discussion board tho) I'm not sure if this is going to work and I can barely afford to go back to the doc on Sunday but I can't afford to go back on the opiates either...
    Last edited by sexiduck; 07-24-2008 at 06:57 PM.

bev49 is offline Banned

leopard, I have had a wonderful experience with suboxone (so far - 2 full days in). I was on methadone, 20 mgs. but for a very very long time. I had to go 3 days with nothing and then started the sub. I am taking 6 2 mg. pills a day and i feel absolutely fine. Going to go down to 4 pills a day after my 3rd day. It's actually amazing. My sister is a nurse also with a drug problem. She started taking suboxone for an addiction to buying methadone on the street. It worked well for her also. She started on 8 mgs. a day and is now down to 1/2 of a 2 mg. pill a day and getting off when her perscription runs out. I actually think its a miracle drug.

Default sexiduck

sexiduck ... sleeping too deeply is not a common side effect of suboxone. If anything it sometimes has just the opposite effect. Anything is possible though I suppose. Stress can be very exhausting. You mentioned stress in your post. The sleep problem could be from lots of things. Some of other things could possibly be suboxone related but would need to know more for sure.

Have you been having sleep, appetite and depression problems on and off continually since you were started suboxone?

Have these problems just started with the use of suboxone?

Exactly how many mg are you taking now? For how long? What dose did you start at?

Doesn't sound to me like you have ever really been stablized since starting this therapy. We need to be feeling fine, like we have nothing wrong. We should not be feeling the things you are describing if the suboxone is working properly. Could be the dose, could be you never got stabilized to start with.

Please talk a little more about what has happened since you started and how you have felt each day as best you can. I wouldn't take any extra yet until you figure out exactly what is happening here. Will look for your reply.

bev49 is offline Banned

I have a question for Robert, the all knowing one on this website . You have answered my posts so you know my story. Long long time methadone user, switched to sub, now on day 3 and feeling great. No withdrawal, just feel normal and I am happy as could be but I have one problem and the doc says its not from the sub but I think it must be. I am unable to sleep at night. I'm not sick or in withdrawal, just in a very very light sleep and waking up alot. I went to bed at 1 a.m. last night, finally got out of bed at 4:30 because I just kept waking up. Stayed awake on the computer til 7 a.m. then slept til 9 and up since then. Same thing happened the night before, my 1st day on sub. Is this a common side effect of suboxone? Thanks.
    Last edited by bev49; 07-25-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Well I have gone up to 16mg today due to still feeling...not right. Will be at 16 until next Dr. appt on Weds. I actually feel quite terrible, anxious, irritable, cravings etc. Sorry, I don't want to whine about it. Maybe this is not the drug for me? I don't know. Luckily the naloxone part of the med will keep me off any other opiates until I get this sorted - that's a big reason I chose the Sub over the methadone.
    Sigh.

Well I have gone up to 16mg today due to still feeling...not right. Will be at 16 until next Dr. appt on Weds. I actually feel quite terrible, anxious, irritable, cravings etc. Sorry, I don't want to whine about it. Maybe this is not the drug for me? I don't know. Luckily the naloxone part of the med will keep me off any other opiates until I get this sorted - that's a big reason I chose the Sub over the methadone.
    Sigh.

Hope you feel better at 16mg. Hate to see you go up any more than that. If you don't feel any better at 16mg I would almost start to wonder if you are at too high of a dose. Some of the "symptoms" you are describing might be side effects instead. Usually 16mg is more than enough. I have seen a few people do better with subutex than suboxone. I am curious to see how you do over the weekend.

The only thing that naloxone in suboxone actually does is put us into precipitated withdrawl if we inject the suboxone. That is all it does. It has nothing to do with keeping us off other opiates. It's the buprenorphine in both meds that helps to keep us off the opiates by affecting our receptors as a partial agonist. That is why my dr put me on subutex. I didn't need the naloxone.

Let us know how you do over the weekend. Hope you smooth out at the 16mg dose. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bev49 View Post
    I have a question for Robert, the all knowing one on this website . You have answered my posts so you know my story. Long long time methadone user, switched to sub, now on day 3 and feeling great. No withdrawal, just feel normal and I am happy as could be but I have one problem and the doc says its not from the sub but I think it must be. I am unable to sleep at night. I'm not sick or in withdrawal, just in a very very light sleep and waking up alot. I went to bed at 1 a.m. last night, finally got out of bed at 4:30 because I just kept waking up. Stayed awake on the computer til 7 a.m. then slept til 9 and up since then. Same thing happened the night before, my 1st day on sub. Is this a common side effect of suboxone? Thanks.

bev49 ... I remember your story, I don't recall the dose of subutex you are taking. Some people have complained of sleep problems when they were at too high of a dose. More common is people who take the subutex at bedtime. I always suggest taking it in the morning and in the afternoon. That is what I did. I only suggest an afternoon dose as it is easier to taper off eventually working with two doses. If you are at too high of a dose and taking it at night then that would probably be the reason I would think. I wouldn't change my dose until I change or omit the late dose. What dose are you at now???

bev49 is offline Banned

I am stable at 16 mgs. and sticking with that for the nexst few days. I was taking 2 mg. tabs up til nightime. Doc just switched me to 8 mg. tabs and told me to break them in half. I will do as you say and take 8 in the a.m. and 8 in the afternoon, and then in 2 days will go to 8 in the am and 4 in the afternoon. My intention is then to go to 4 and 4 and see how I'm feeling. Thank you so much for your advise.

I am stable at 16 mgs. and sticking with that for the nexst few days. I was taking 2 mg. tabs up til nightime. Doc just switched me to 8 mg. tabs and told me to break them in half. I will do as you say and take 8 in the a.m. and 8 in the afternoon, and then in 2 days will go to 8 in the am and 4 in the afternoon. My intention is then to go to 4 and 4 and see how I'm feeling. Thank you so much for your advise.

That sounds like a good plan. Hang in there.

Default sleep and dosages

I just wanted to add my experience about sleep.
    I was put on 40mg of suboxone and For the first 10 days I did as the docot told me too. I was unable to close my eyes for the hole ten days. In fact it was not untill I droped to 16mg (a bit too quickly) before I got my first 4 hours of real sleep)
    It was a good healthy sleep, no dreaming though. I did not even feel like I went without sleep untill I drop to 16mg.... now I am almost normal with my sleep. I sleep very lightly but feel rested when I awaken. I still only sleep maybe 4 to 5 hours but I feel fine. I also went thru 5-7 teeshirts per night and several during the day due to sweating so much. Now on 16 (and small sliver) I still break out in sweats but infreqent and less intense... maybe last 3-5 min as apposed to 30 min. of dripping sweat. I think the high dose is what cause the severe sweating.

Hope this helped. and yes.... I just now am beginng to be able to enjoy food. I was forcing food down do to the severe weight loss from actively useing and lost another 9 lbs during the first ten days of 40mg sub per day.

good luck.... listen too Rob.... he knows what he is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Hope you feel better at 16mg. Hate to see you go up any more than that. If you don't feel any better at 16mg I would almost start to wonder if you are at too high of a dose. Some of the "symptoms" you are describing might be side effects instead. Usually 16mg is more than enough. I have seen a few people do better with subutex than suboxone. I am curious to see how you do over the weekend.

The only thing that naloxone in suboxone actually does is put us into precipitated withdrawl if we inject the suboxone. That is all it does. It has nothing to do with keeping us off other opiates. It's the buprenorphine in both meds that helps to keep us off the opiates by affecting our receptors as a partial agonist. That is why my dr put me on subutex. I didn't need the naloxone.

Let us know how you do over the weekend. Hope you smooth out at the 16mg dose. Good luck.
    Ok, now this is confusing and a good example of even healthcare staff having the wrong info. I was told by several of the staff at the clinic that the naloxone would also put a person into precipitated w/d's if any other narcs were used during the Suboxone period. So it's there solely to prevent ppl from abusing the Sub itself? Uh-huh...
    But the super-high affinity the Bup has for the Mu receptors will effectively prevent a person from getting "high" off other narcs unless massive doses are taken, is that right? Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning anything, I just like knowing what is going on with my body!
    Again...Robert, thank you, you are really a gem of this community.

--Elise

Ok, now this is confusing and a good example of even healthcare staff having the wrong info. I was told by several of the staff at the clinic that the naloxone would also put a person into precipitated w/d's if any other narcs were used during the Suboxone period. So it's there solely to prevent ppl from abusing the Sub itself? Uh-huh...
    But the super-high affinity the Bup has for the Mu receptors will effectively prevent a person from getting "high" off other narcs unless massive doses are taken, is that right? Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning anything, I just like knowing what is going on with my body!
    Again...Robert, thank you, you are really a gem of this community.

--Elise

I shouldn't have said naloxone only works if we inject suboxone. It will put us into precipitated withdrawl if we inject any opiates. But that is all it does. It's only for those who inject opiates ... which is mainly buprenorphine (subutex or suboxone) while one is on this therapy. That is why I said what I did. That is why they came up with suboxone in addition to subutex. Otherwise they would only need one medication for everyone. We won't go into w/d from eating a vicodin. Naloxone starts working only when we inject.

You are exactly correct about how the buprenorphine works. Being a partial agonist it will basically block the receptors so the opiates will not get us high. We have to be off the medication for 3-4 days anyway to feel the effects of RX opiates. I don't know if it would be sooner from a huge opiate dose. I would be leary of over-dose knowing me before I got high.

bev49 is offline Banned

Rob, thank you for your advice on no taking the sub at bedtime. I took my last dose yesterday at 5 p.m. rather than at bedtime and I slept like a baby. Just make sure you stay on these threads. We need you

I got my take-home dose of Sub today (Sunday) and tried 12mg instead of 16mg...it's really strange what a difference a LOWER dose made in terms of irritability, aches, etc. Strange stuff.
    I am still thinking of switching to methadone since I'm starting to realize I may need (of course "need" being relative) maintenance tx instead of just detox. I've detoxed so many times, with and without pharmaceutical help - why would this be different? I guess I just put too much stock in the new "miracle drug" to save me.
    Anyway, I have an appt w/the clinic therapist tomorrow so will discuss it with her. I really hope everyone else's journeys are going okay (one day at a time, of course)!! Best of luck, Elise

I got my take-home dose of Sub today (Sunday) and tried 12mg instead of 16mg...it's really strange what a difference a LOWER dose made in terms of irritability, aches, etc. Strange stuff.
    I am still thinking of switching to methadone since I'm starting to realize I may need (of course "need" being relative) maintenance tx instead of just detox. I've detoxed so many times, with and without pharmaceutical help - why would this be different? I guess I just put too much stock in the new "miracle drug" to save me.
    Anyway, I have an appt w/the clinic therapist tomorrow so will discuss it with her. I really hope everyone else's journeys are going okay (one day at a time, of course)!! Best of luck, Elise

Elise ... I would suggest slowing it down trying to lower the dose to 12mg if it is causing problems. Don't reduce today if it is bothering you to the degree of having symptoms. All we have to do is take a little more if we start having w/d symptoms from suboxone. Even if you have to take it longer than what has been suggested it's okay. We are just describing best case scenarios.

I would NOT go on methadone unless it's because I am going to have to be on pain meds forever. Then I would choose methadone. It's a "forever" program. Not meant for the short term. Even if you have to stay on suboxone for a year or more that is better than trying to stop methadone after a year. Think seriously about this before making a commitment to methadone under your situation. I truly think that would be a mistake for you. Have faith and just keep doing the next right thing. Hang in there. Don't react too quickly.

jimijimi is offline Junior Member

******************** Methadone, it's worse than >>>>>> for you, my cosin was on it for a long time and he looked like ********************. Just another detox scam IMO.
    I'am glad i found Suboxone, 8/10 days i'am done. Sorry for my actions towards Meth. because i don't even know your history, maybe it's in one of your post? i will check.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Elise ... I would suggest slowing it down trying to lower the dose to 12mg if it is causing problems. Don't reduce today if it is bothering you to the degree of having symptoms. All we have to do is take a little more if we start having w/d symptoms from suboxone. Even if you have to take it longer than what has been suggested it's okay. We are just describing best case scenarios.

I would NOT go on methadone unless it's because I am going to have to be on pain meds forever. Then I would choose methadone. It's a "forever" program. Not meant for the short term. Even if you have to stay on suboxone for a year or more that is better than trying to stop methadone after a year. Think seriously about this before making a commitment to methadone under your situation. I truly think that would be a mistake for you. Have faith and just keep doing the next right thing. Hang in there. Don't react too quickly.
    Sorry Robert, I meant IMPROVEMENT in those side effects on 12mg vs 16mg!! That's the strange thing.
    I guess I am just having a challenging time with Sub - it's great of course not to have the w/drawal symptoms...but the cravings are very very bad, especially since you get just a "hint" of the opiate effect with Sub. That is why I am even considering going (back) to methadone.
    I'll have to sleep on it & discuss w/therapist tomorrow.
    Man, if I ever needed some "retail therapy" it is now - but since I quit my job, no shopping for me.
    --Elise

bev49 is offline Banned

Before you decide to go on methadone, please think long and hard. I got on methadone for an addiction to >>>>>>, am just getting off with the suboxone now, but I was on tge program for over 30 years. I tried to get off one time at around the 10 year mark, and it was horrible. Worse than >>>>>>, worse the benzos. I was back on opiates almost immediately and had to get back on the program. They will never encourage you to get off. And if you do get off, be aware that the relapse rate is high. IF you do decide to go the methadone route, my advice to anyone is don't stay on it more than a year or even less, no matter what the counselor tells you. If you stay on longer, you will be on for years. I am not the only one at my clinic on as long as me. There were many of us near senior citizen meth addicts. It sucked. Hard to hold a job because you have to be at the clinic every day and the hours are usually not amenable to working. Methadone should be the absolute last choice. My advise is try to work with the suboxone some more. You don't wanna be a 59 year old methadone addict like I was, believe me.

jimijimi is offline Junior Member

Before you decide to go on methadone, please think long and hard. I got on methadone for an addiction to >>>>>>, am just getting off with the suboxone now, but I was on tge program for over 30 years. I tried to get off one time at around the 10 year mark, and it was horrible. Worse than >>>>>>, worse the benzos. I was back on opiates almost immediately and had to get back on the program. They will never encourage you to get off. And if you do get off, be aware that the relapse rate is high. IF you do decide to go the methadone route, my advice to anyone is don't stay on it more than a year or even less, no matter what the counselor tells you. If you stay on longer, you will be on for years. I am not the only one at my clinic on as long as me. There were many of us near senior citizen meth addicts. It sucked. Hard to hold a job because you have to be at the clinic every day and the hours are usually not amenable to working. Methadone should be the absolute last choice. My advise is try to work with the suboxone some more. You don't wanna be a 59 year old methadone addict like I was, believe me.
    Great post Bev 49, I never did Methodone but just knowing what my cosin went thru was bad enough for me. It's like going to cop dope but legal.IMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast