Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
On Suboxone 43 hours. Low energy and appetite. Suggestions?
  1. #1
    greaties73 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    15

    Question On Suboxone 43 hours. Low energy and appetite. Suggestions?

    Currently taking 2 mg every 12 hours and 1 clonidine every 12 hours after coming off of a 6 oxycodone 30's a day habit for last 4 months. Can barely get out of bed to go to work. Had the chills in combination of sweating. Eating only a couple of bites of food per day and drinking plenty of water. Tried taking Exedrin migraine formula with caffeine for energy. That may be the only reason I can leave the house, but I still feel weak. What can I do to increase my energy level with such a poor appetite? How long is withdrawal going to last coming off the oxycodone? Am I taking enough suboxone?

  2. #2
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greaties73 View Post
    Currently taking 2 mg every 12 hours and 1 clonidine every 12 hours after coming off of a 6 oxycodone 30's a day habit for last 4 months. Can barely get out of bed to go to work. Had the chills in combination of sweating. Eating only a couple of bites of food per day and drinking plenty of water. Tried taking Exedrin migraine formula with caffeine for energy. That may be the only reason I can leave the house, but I still feel weak. What can I do to increase my energy level with such a poor appetite? How long is withdrawal going to last coming off the oxycodone? Am I taking enough suboxone?


    You should not be suffering these w/d symptoms period taking suboxone. That is the purpose of taking suboxone ... so we don't get sick like you are. Are you seeing a dr or are you self-medicating? How long have you been on the suboxone? If self-medicating do you know what your blood pressure is taking clonidine twice a day??? Not trying to interrogate you. It's just important taking these medications.

    Six 30mg oxy a day is significant. I'm sure you would be ill in detox but the suboxone should have stopped that cold. Taking a total of 4mg in a day isn't going to do it for you. If it were me I would take 4mg twice a day instead.

    First thing is that you have to get stabilized on the suboxone. I would take 8mg immediately and if I didn't feel better in one hour I would take 4mg more. Remember this is just to stabilize. You should stabilize pretty quickly like this. Shouldn't take you more than 8mg, 12mg max. Doing this with 8mg is preferable but if it takes 12mg it's ok, it's still imperative that you get stabilized first if you are going to take suboxone. As soon as I stabilized I would see what it just took me to do this and move forward from there. Probably around 8mg a day will work once you are stable. But your current dose isn't enough it doesn't seem. If you are going to take suboxone you should be feeling good with no w/d symptoms. If you are going to be sick anyway there is no reason to take the suboxone.

    Let me know how you are doing this though if you would, with or without the dr, just makes it safer to know what to suggest. I'm really cautious if someone isn't seeing a doctor for sure. It scares me making suggestions. When you take additional suboxone DO NOT take additional clonidine. At least not right now. Just continue what you are doing. Once you stabilize you can reduce or eliminate the clonidine. That is blood pressure medication and can't be taken like pain meds. Hope this helps some. Good luck.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 07-23-2008 at 04:00 AM.
    bekka1964 likes this.

  3. #3
    greaties73 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    15

    Default 68 hrs on suboxone

    I had left overs from my script (now down to 35 2mg pills). I saw a general Dr. who has treated many patients including a close friend of mine, who recommend I go. In the beginning of June who put me on a 7 week program. I only stayed on it for 9 days (used up my 8 mg pills), because I felt better, so I went off it, so that I wouldn't get addicted to it and I felt no w/d from it. He also gave me the clonidine for restless leg, but I can see that it isn't doing me any good. I fell of the bike in since Mid June and this is my 2nd attempt at suboxone. I should have taken it like I was supposed to. The original plan the dr. had set for me: take 16 mg a day for 2 weeks, then 8 mg/day for the next two weeks, 4 mg/ day for 2 weeks, and 2mg for 1 week (but I only have 35 2 mg pills left). I did what you suggested and increased my suboxone intake an additional 6 mg. over 3 hours so far. (I took only 2mg this morning at 3am) I did so little because I was afraid to get addicted to this. But you're right. I need to stabilize to get any benefit from it and I might as well not even be on suboxone if I won't take it properly. I will eliminate the clonidine today for sure. I forgot to mention that I am also on Welbutrin 150 mg / day for depression. That could be a big reason for the appetite problem. But it's the only thing helping me get out of bed because it gives me energy. Thank you so much for responding. I hope I have answered your questions My other question is: how do I make use of my remaining 35 2 mg pills?
    Last edited by greaties73; 07-23-2008 at 12:06 PM. Reason: had to add more info

  4. #4
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greaties73 View Post
    I had left overs from my script. I saw a Dr. back in the beginning of June who put me on a 7 week program. I only stayed on it for 9 days, because I felt better, so I went off it, so that I wouldn't get addicted to it and I felt no w/d from it. He also gave me the clonidine for restless leg, but I can see that it isn't doing me any good. I fell of the bike in since Mid June and this is my 2nd attempt at suboxone. I did what you suggested and increased my suboxone intake an additonial 6 mg. over 3 hours so far. (I took only 2mg this morning at 3am) I did so little because I was afraid to get addicted to this. But you're right. I need to stabilize to get any benefit from it and I might as well not even be on suboxone if I won't take it properly. I will eliminate the clonidine today for sure. I forgot to mention that I am also on Welbutrin 150 mg / day for depression. That could be a big reason for the appetite problem. But it's the only thing helping me get out of bed because it gives me energy. Thank you so much for responding. I hope I have answered your questions

    Clonidine is a good medication. Just don't want to overdo it. We have to be careful self-medicating with blood pressure meds. It's more serious than it would seem. Don't want to make our BP go too low.

    You won't become addicted to suboxone taking it like I am suggesting. I promise you ... trust me. Only when we take it in large doses or for an extended period of time are we in danger of becoming dependent. You don't have anything to worry about. I've done this myself too.

    So did the 8mg stabilize you? Do you feel good now? You need to get smoothed out so you are feeling fine. You should have no w/d symptoms whatsoever on suboxone. If you still feel shaky then you aren't stable yet.

    Wellbutrin can affect your appetite. It can also make you a little antsy. Don't know how you react to it. If it gives you energy that is good. But unless something besides the detox is dragging you down, you shouldn't feel that way from detoxing while you are stable on suboxone. You may need the Wellbutrin for other problems, but you shouldn't need it for lack of energy due to the detox from opiates. It's easy to confuse side effects and symptoms. Stay in touch.

  5. #5
    greaties73 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    15

    Smile Feeling better already!

    Thank you Robert_325. I had to take 6 additional mg (I took 2mg at 3am) so now I'm up to 8mg. It is definitely helping! I am feeling better, no shakes, no dizziness, or dry heaving now. I forgot to mention in the beginning that I was snorting the roxy 30's. Could that be another reason I was having trouble in the beginning? I recounted my suboxone pills and I actually have 2 8mg and 35 2 mg left. Please tell me how to make the most of what I have left.
    Last edited by greaties73; 07-23-2008 at 12:31 PM. Reason: adding more info to this post

  6. #6
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Remember that the clonidine is not a bad medication. It's used a lot for detoxing from opiates. I just wanted you to use caution with how much you are taking. That is all.

    I can't say that 2 8mg and 35 2mg pills is exactly what you will need. You are just getting stablized today. We haven't seen how you react to the medication yet when taken properly.

    I had suggested taking 8mg a day for your therapy. Normally we do that for a couple weeks and then taper off over another ten days or so. You will run out early doing that. So before we make a gameplan I need to know if you are able to obtain some more suboxone. That will tell me what we have to work with. If this is all the medication you are going to have available, I would be surprised if you are able to do this detox entirely symptom free. You will probably need more. Can you get it??? You won't need a lot but tell me if you can get more. Then I will make a plan.

  7. #7
    greaties73 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    15

    Default Feeling even better now and nibbling on crackers and cookies

    My Dr. warned me that he will not write me a script for any more. He told me to follow the 7 week program and that I have 1 chance with him to do this. So I will not be able to get any more and I don't have the money to see another Dr. I really want to make due with what I have. Another reason I would really like to get off the suboxone is because I am job hunting (lost my job late May due to cut backs and am on unemployment at the present time). I don't want it showing up in urine tests. I work in the medical field, mainly dental assistant and they drug test for that type of job. What's the game plan? Thank you

  8. #8
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greaties73 View Post
    My Dr. warned me that he will not write me a script for any more. He told me to follow the 7 week program and that I have 1 chance with him to do this. So I will not be able to get any more and I don't have the money to see another Dr. I really want to make due with what I have. Another reason I would really like to get off the suboxone is because I am job hunting (lost my job late May due to cut backs and am on unemployment at the present time). I don't want it showing up in urine tests. I work in the medical field, mainly dental assistant and they drug test for that type of job. What's the game plan? Thank you


    Been thinking about this trying to figure the best way to go with so few pills. Only way your meds are going to last is to reduce by more up front. You need to take 8mg again tomorrow. You have to be stable for a couple days before you start reducing. Plus you are going through opiate w/ds right now from the oxy. If you cut back much right now you will go into w/d again. Wish you had a little more medicine but I understand. Have to make it with what you have.

    You are probably going to have to feel some moderate w/d feelings with so few pills left. I just don't know any way with you having only three days clean to keep from it and not run out of pills too soon. Let me think a little more about how to best do this. I will post this evening with a workable plan.
    At least you know now to take 8mg tomorrow. Will probably have you cut back to 6mg the next day. Will post again soon.

  9. #9
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default greaties73

    I have thought about figuring a taper in advance for you. I can do it but with the number of pills you have left it could get thrown out the window in a second. I think the smartest thing to do is to take this a couple days at a time. See how you are doing and I will be happy to give you suggestions as you go through this. That is how I can help you the best to make your pills last the longest so you don't suffer from w/d symptoms too badly. I would take another 8mg tomorrow. I would then reduce it to 6mg the next two days. Then lets see how you are doing with that. Hopefully you are doing well enough to drop to 4mg after a couple days at 6mg. We shall see. That covers the next three days at least. Also you want to split your dose ... half in morning and half in afternoon or evening. It helps when you get to small doses later on and start skipping doses. Just please tell me exactly how you feel when you post so we will know how much to taper off next.

  10. #10
    greaties73 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I will do 8 mg today and tomorrow and go down to 6mg for Saturday and Sunday. I'm feeling better today, except for not being able to eat much and having indigestion when I do. I got out of bed a little easier this morning :-) Thank you for responding. I will keep you posted :-)

  11. #11
    sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greaties73 View Post
    I will do 8 mg today and tomorrow and go down to 6mg for Saturday and Sunday. I'm feeling better today, except for not being able to eat much and having indigestion when I do. I got out of bed a little easier this morning :-) Thank you for responding. I will keep you posted :-)
    Can I ask you what state your in? I could help u out with a few more pills if your close by?? I really want u to be successfull this time
    Sister

  12. #12
    greaties73 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    15

    Wink sisterwin2

    Quote Originally Posted by sisterwin2 View Post
    Can I ask you what state your in? I could help u out with a few more pills if your close by?? I really want u to be successfull this time
    Sister
    Thank you for the offer, sweetz! God Bless you! I live in Tampa, FL, party city -lol
    I have enough for the next 3 weeks and I have a plan to wean off of bcuz I don't wish to be on Suboxone for more than 1 month anyway. I will be successful because I will not put myself though this again. I know how uncomfortable I was and I don't want to go there, to that bad place

  13. #13
    sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greaties73 View Post
    Thank you for the offer, sweetz! God Bless you! I live in Tampa, FL, party city -lol
    I have enough for the next 3 weeks and I have a plan to wean off of bcuz I don't wish to be on Suboxone for more than 1 month anyway. I will be successful because I will not put myself though this again. I know how uncomfortable I was and I don't want to go there, to that bad place
    well, The offer stands. I am sure I could figure out how to get it to you to help u save monies if you need it. I will stay posted and keep up with how your doing. Best of luck. I got the feeling you will make it.

    sister
    Maryland

  14. #14
    Jenny12Jenny is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I am a new member. I am taking 4mg of Suboxone 2x a day; about 6 hours apart for a period of 9 months. I am taking it for a back injury. My only continuing problem has been the change in taste and therefore my eating habits. The wafer tastes very acidic and it burns as it goes down my esophagus. Sometimes It gives me acid indigestion so I go get Ice cream or any thing sooth and creamy. The result is weight gain because healthy foods don't taste good. I mentioned this to my internist, cardiologist, prescribing physician who is a psychiatrist, and none have given me any information about this. Please comment if anybody has this same experience. When I try to eat savory things such as garlic and butter seasoning on seafood, or onion on a hamburger, or Chinese food, I get nauseated. I can take 1 or 2 bites and then I have to stop. I feel like i can't eat. what do I do?

  15. #15
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    confused when you say wafer... suboxone is sub lingual, so it dissolves under your tongue...

    also in answer to your other questions, it seems to me like you are on too high a dose of suboxone, thats why you feel nauseated quite a lot... thats quite a high dose, and to be on it for so long is a worry...

    i would try 6mg. a day. so 3mg twice a day. and see if that makes any difference,. i bet it does.

    good luck

  16. #16
    bekka1964 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Florida (near the beach)
    Posts
    49

    Default

    I second all that Robert just said, I lurked in here and posted some but follwed his taper down ,going on day 15 of NO MEDS and I am looking forward to feeling better and better. Hang in there
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    You should not be suffering these w/d symptoms period taking suboxone. That is the purpose of taking suboxone ... so we don't get sick like you are. Are you seeing a dr or are you self-medicating? How long have you been on the suboxone? If self-medicating do you know what your blood pressure is taking clonidine twice a day??? Not trying to interrogate you. It's just important taking these medications.

    Six 30mg oxy a day is significant. I'm sure you would be ill in detox but the suboxone should have stopped that cold. Taking a total of 4mg in a day isn't going to do it for you. If it were me I would take 4mg twice a day instead.

    First thing is that you have to get stabilized on the suboxone. I would take 8mg immediately and if I didn't feel better in one hour I would take 4mg more. Remember this is just to stabilize. You should stabilize pretty quickly like this. Shouldn't take you more than 8mg, 12mg max. Doing this with 8mg is preferable but if it takes 12mg it's ok, it's still imperative that you get stabilized first if you are going to take suboxone. As soon as I stabilized I would see what it just took me to do this and move forward from there. Probably around 8mg a day will work once you are stable. But your current dose isn't enough it doesn't seem. If you are going to take suboxone you should be feeling good with no w/d symptoms. If you are going to be sick anyway there is no reason to take the suboxone.

    Let me know how you are doing this though if you would, with or without the dr, just makes it safer to know what to suggest. I'm really cautious if someone isn't seeing a doctor for sure. It scares me making suggestions. When you take additional suboxone DO NOT take additional clonidine. At least not right now. Just continue what you are doing. Once you stabilize you can reduce or eliminate the clonidine. That is blood pressure medication and can't be taken like pain meds. Hope this helps some. Good luck.

  17. #17
    bekka1964 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Florida (near the beach)
    Posts
    49

    Default

    I was on subs for 11 months and gained 80lbs! just another reason I wanted off. 15 days off,cant wait to get energy back so I can exercise, everyone is different ~ there may not be a real answer you may just have to try new & different foods. take care
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny12Jenny View Post
    I am a new member. I am taking 4mg of Suboxone 2x a day; about 6 hours apart for a period of 9 months. I am taking it for a back injury. My only continuing problem has been the change in taste and therefore my eating habits. The wafer tastes very acidic and it burns as it goes down my esophagus. Sometimes It gives me acid indigestion so I go get Ice cream or any thing sooth and creamy. The result is weight gain because healthy foods don't taste good. I mentioned this to my internist, cardiologist, prescribing physician who is a psychiatrist, and none have given me any information about this. Please comment if anybody has this same experience. When I try to eat savory things such as garlic and butter seasoning on seafood, or onion on a hamburger, or Chinese food, I get nauseated. I can take 1 or 2 bites and then I have to stop. I feel like i can't eat. what do I do?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22