stopping long term low dose of norco
    pinktink6 is offline New Member

Default stopping long term low dose of norco

I have been taking Norco for the last 6 years due to health condition. I've been able to stay at a fairly low dose for a long time....1-2 a day. I have always been concerned about becoming addicted, and my doctor assured me that such a low dose is a non issue. Over the last few months, I have been taking 3 sometimes 4 a day. I want to stop before I go beyond the point of no return. Can anyone give me any advice on how to get off this in the least uncomfortable way? Should I expect a ********py withdrawal period? I am now at the point that I feel like ******** in the morning (tolerable, but ********py) until I take my first pill. I know this is not good, so want to stop before it gets worse! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

purpledog is offline Banned

the general idea is to taper yourself down gradually before stopping altogether, im not sure on the type of pills, but any opiate will give you trouble if you jump quickly.
    so take your time, and plenty more people with specific pill advice, will catch up with you soon i guess. im on suboxone after long habit on opiates/methadone.
    good luck
    purpledog

Thank you, I hope for some more advice of what to expect!

mottam is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by pinktink6 View Post
    Thank you, I hope for some more advice of what to expect!
    Everyone is different.
    You may experience what those of us at higher doses experienced.
    Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.
    Worst:
    You have a bad case of flu-like symptoms for 5 - 7 days.
    Get some Imodium, Motrin. See if your doc will give you some anti-anxiety meds for 3 to 5 days. Read some others' thread for the Thomas Recipe.
    Chills, sweats, anxiety, restlessness, nausea, diarrhea, sneezing, congestion, yawning - are all w/d symptoms. You may have some, none, all and more.
    Best:
    You breeze through this w/in a day or so.

Either way, stop all opiates. You are definitely not going to die from opiate detox.

It will take a few days then you are done. As long as you stay strong - the physical part of getting off of opiates is actually the easier part.

Hope that helps.

mottam

Thanks for that Mottam.....I know it might be laughable to some that may consider my dosage minimal, but I've been dependant on the meds for many years, and lucky enough to have the smaller dosages of Norco work for me....Of course I've upped the dose because it was no longer effective. You are right about the physical part....having chronic pain issues, that's the least of my worries I guess. Thanks again for noticing my post.

Anonymous Guest

Hi Pink
    When I quit my vic's I did a taper till I got down to 10 mg a day and then I quit it wasn't real bad I felt like I had the flu for a few days...
    I started to exercise and that seemed to help me the most...
    Keep us posted on how you are doing...
    Melinda

Well it's been about 32 hours cold turkey. Wasn't planning on doing it this way, but I thought I had more pills than I actually did!! Jokes on me!! So it kinda felt like like the universe was trying to tell me something and this was meant to be. Aside from a mild headache, cold sweats and general crankiness and tiredness, I'm surviving. Just wondering if I am to expect worse than this, I know everyone is different. I kind of took the wknd "off", told the family I wasn't feeling well...I'm hoping tomorrow isn't worse than today, I think I can deal with it if it stays on this keel.. thanks for listening.

Anonymous Guest

Well it's been about 32 hours cold turkey. Wasn't planning on doing it this way, but I thought I had more pills than I actually did!! Jokes on me!! So it kinda felt like like the universe was trying to tell me something and this was meant to be. Aside from a mild headache, cold sweats and general crankiness and tiredness, I'm surviving. Just wondering if I am to expect worse than this, I know everyone is different. I kind of took the wknd "off", told the family I wasn't feeling well...I'm hoping tomorrow isn't worse than today, I think I can deal with it if it stays on this keel.. thanks for listening.
    Im not sure how much you were taking but im going to say after 4 days your going to feel better..just hang in there and think about how good it's going to feel when this is over no more worring about those stupid pills...
    your doing great were real proud of you...
    Melinda

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Hi Pink,

I don't get to this forum very often - but just found your post this morning, and wanted to respond. I am in recovery from long-term narcotic addiction, so I do understand your situation. God bless you, for 'catching' this while the dosage is low! It's the nature of narcotics to not work as well in time, as our body builds a tolerance - and require more and more of the drug to get the same effects. If you can stop now, you're saving yourself and your family an enormous amount of heartache.

Yes, you're going through some physical symptoms - but I don't think they will get too severe, being on such a low dose. You may be surprised at the emotional changes, however. The drugs become our emotional "crutch" to deal with difficult situations or feelings - and you may feel very "raw" for a while yet. Emotions may seem bigger to you than they were in the past. Not to worry, it's part of the detoxing process.

Like everything else, the emotions will even out. In the meantime, you may experience some depression, anger, anxiety, as well as other feelings. Recognize where they are coming from (detoxing) and try not to let it overwhelm you. In the end, when that Norco is out of your system, you may just find you feel pretty terrific, clear-headed and grateful that the worst is over. There is a lot of joy in discovering that we DO have the inner strength to overcome this!

For me, I have relied a great deal on a 12-step program of recovery, and I whole-heartedly recommend either AA or NA to others. If you find you need help, that's the best place to turn.

Ruth

Thanks for reaching out, Ruth. This is day 3, no pills since Friday morning. I'm doing alright, but you are so right on about feeling "raw"..... been very weepy. Just taking it one day at a time, hoping I remain on this keel.

Freedom4me is offline Advanced Member

Pink,
    You should start feeling better in the next day or two. Now when I say better I don't mean you will feel like running a marathon but you will be able to be comfirtable and get back to everyday life but it will take a little extra effort. Every day will get better physically. and you need to exercise in some form. walk, run, clean your house, anything. Laying around is not your friend after the fourth day. Keep posting and stay strong. you are doing really great.

Well now I am sad to report that I am feeling pretty ********py. I am feeling sooo run down, zero energy, extremely depressed and "OFF"... I suppose I shouldn't complain since nothing terribly physical has hit me (though I should watch before I speak) YET... except the original pain issue that I was taking the darn pills for is beginning to irritate me. Maybe the day 2 stuff has just hit me on day 3 and I am beginning to think a taper would have been better than cold turkey. I hope I can stay away from these pills.....

intelmetal is offline Senior Member

Default Norco

pinktink6, You have already made the decision to get off the pills, so do not use anymore 10/325's or any opiates for that matter. You will feel better in a couple of days, and that is a small price to pay to be free from those little devils. I used norco about 8-9 years ago, loved them because they were smaller than most forms of hydros. I was talked into methadone as a way of getting off of hydro and oxy, what a HUGE mistake that was ! I started abusing the methadone beyond belief. My tolerance was so high that I was taking 120mgs 3 times a day ! That is 9 40mg wafers a day and I was still functioning ( I should be dead ) with family, friends, work, political campaigns, etc. It took me 5 years to taper down to a low enough dose to switch to subs last May.
    My point is to get off this ride NOW, before it cost you any more money or your LIFE !!! I spent close to $250,000.00 on opiates and almost died from it.
    I wish you the best of luck and am here if you need support.
    Steve

Hi Pink,

Just checking in on you, to see how it's going... I do hope you're continuing to do well with stopping the norco.

If you find that the emotions remain raw (or difficult to manage), that may be a signal to you that you've been relying on the norco to deal with emotions or stress, as well as pain. {That's very common!} Please consider trying out some NA or AA meetings - even if you feel awkward about some who discuss "street drugs" - it's all the same issue, addiction.

It's through working the 12-step program that I developed the coping skills that I'd been missing through those years of relying on prescription narcotics.

God bless, I'm thinking of you, hon.

Ruth

BlackKats is offline Member

Even at that low a dose, you might have some W/D's linger for a little while. The thing that is tough is the mental part. Long after the physical part is over, the head trips may go on for a while. Thats why some kind of self help program will help you out. AA/NA/a therapist if needed. Training the mind to not think about opiates is hard, but doable. Keep up the good work.

Gary

AMEN, Gary... well said...

Anonymous Guest

Well now I am sad to report that I am feeling pretty ********py. I am feeling sooo run down, zero energy, extremely depressed and "OFF"... I suppose I shouldn't complain since nothing terribly physical has hit me (though I should watch before I speak) YET... except the original pain issue that I was taking the darn pills for is beginning to irritate me. Maybe the day 2 stuff has just hit me on day 3 and I am beginning to think a taper would have been better than cold turkey. I hope I can stay away from these pills.....
    Hi pink
    I was wondering how you are doing ??? I know how you are feeling i have been there...keep in touch...
    Melinda