Staying awake!
    qmagnumq is offline New Member

Question Staying awake!

Ok, here is possibly a strange question. I am going to have to do some work in the next few months that are from basically 10 pm to 6am...or night shift. The work involves traveling by vehicle as well. My fear is tiredness. (side note) I have a wife and two boys. My wife works and I am flexible so I take the boys to school and child care in the mornings.
    I have tried energy drinks, coffee etc. but they really don't work on me. I am not a night owl...often I am in bed at 10pm!
    These night shifts are also not regular as it may just be one or two a week so I can't get into a pattern like shift workers.
    Any recommendations as far as pills that I can temporarily take to keep me alert? It may seem like I am putting the cart before the horse, but I like to be prepared...especially as driving at 4am is involved!

Thanks!

vduda is offline Member

Personally, I wouldn't opt for any prescription or street drugs to stay awake. Especially since you'll be driving. I use to take ephedrine for working out, but they banned that from the Vitamin store because it was being used to make crystal meth. Ephedrine is used by ashmatics because it dialates the bronchial tubes and aviolies in the lungs which allows more oxygen into the blood stream. It use to give me an enormous amout of energy. One thing u can try is guarana. Let me know how it turns out. Drive careful. God Bless

Default Still awake...

Thanks for the info. I went to my doctor and told him of my situation. I said I was concerned about driving while being tired, especially since a few of the drives are about 2 - 3 hours! Insane really...but a job is a job and the $ is good.
    Anyways, he gave me a script for 20 Ritalin. He said they should help without being too much over the top.
    I did my first job and was quite tired so I tried a pill. Didn't notice a thing. Still felt tired but made it home in one piece...so...I guess they did the trick...or I just was pumped enough that I did it on my own.
    Strange to read about Ritalin and how it helps with ADHD and narcolepsy...kinda the opposites...
    I may goto a health store and try guarana. What is it exactly?

Thanks!

ymccormack is offline Member

Ritalin is basically speed. Or a form of it. Sure it helps narcolepsy...can't fall asleep while you're on speed!

I think you will eventually get used to working the occasional night shift. Just make sure you are as well rested as possible under the circumstances - keep the ritalin in case you're driving and literally can't keep your eyes open.

But I would avoid taking it unless necessary.

Good Luck

YM

vduda is offline Member

Yo Ritalin is an amphetamine (speed). Your doctor actually prescribed that for you. Wow.

Guarana is a red/green berry that grows in South America. In Brasil they use it to make a drink called Guarana. Chemically, it contain caffeine and other chemical that resemble amphetamines. Try it. It might help. God Bless

kaileyb is offline Member

my doctor gave me adderall for ADD and that definitely keeps me up. ritalin had no effect on me. everyone says how addictive adderall is, but if u take it as prescribed you should be fine, i was. i only take it occassionally, i can take it or leave it.

vduda is offline Member

Adderall is prescribed for ADD, not to stay awake at the job. I had a friend who was addicted to that legal Amphetamine. And if your taking it on occassion then your not taking it as prescribed. Sounds like your in denial. Then again I don't know you or your situation. I just don't agree with your advice. God Bless

why is it that everyone on these boards is "in denial"? why don't you be quiet unless you know what you're talking about. i haven't taken one in almost month, but who really cares because i have nothing to prove to you. all i was saying is that if they're giving this person ritalin (which is also for ADD smart ass) to stay awake, maybe they would give them adderall. just because you know someone that's addicted, doesn't mean everyone else is. i don't take them all the time because i don't feel the need to. quit making assumptions when you know nothing about someone.

vduda is offline Member

Such anger! I said I didn't know you and I have had good feedback from you on other subjects. I am not a "smart ass", but think what you want. Just trying to help. My point is that Adderal is a strong medication and should not be used to stay awake at the job. Adderall is taken daily by individuals who suffer from ADD or ADHD. And I know that Ritalin (which is also an Amphetamine) is used to treat the aforementioned disorders. Strange that a med that is basically similar chemically had no effect on you. Just an observation.

Why are you so upset? I feel I qualified my statement. Sorry you took it the wrong way. Like I said, I was just disagreeing with you on this particular subject. I am a little taken back by your reaction. Just because we disagree I do not feel there is any need for you to call me names. God Bless.
    Last edited by vduda; 02-06-2008 at 09:19 PM.

helpmeplzz is offline New Member

vduda, doctors don't generally have a problem prescribing ritalin for temporary energy boost for work it's only once you get addicted that they get worried and won't...

vduda is offline Member

That's new info to me. As Johny Carson would say, "I did not know that!"

that comment just struck me wrong, because i know i don't have a problem with them and i can't stand when people try to insinuate i do. they just don't help me as much as they used to anymore. i shouldn't of called you names, but it hits a nerve when someone says i'm in "denial" or says i have a problem. sorry about that. they also prescribe adderall for narcolepsy, so perhaps a serious problem with staying awake could be good reason for getting adderall.

vduda is offline Member

Thanks Kail. I didn't mean anything insulting by it. I should of chosen my words more carefully. In reality I can only look at my own situation. But thanks for the apology. I am also sorry. God Bless.

Longjohn555 is offline Junior Member

I guess comming from addicts it's really because we are just paranoid...we've experienced first hand what addiction does to people and their families and just the thought of it sets us off. ...I hope that the meds help you though and don't blame you for taking them. I would hate to see a huge accident with lives lost if it could be prevented

Quote Originally Posted by Longjohn555 View Post
    I guess comming from addicts it's really because we are just paranoid...we've experienced first hand what addiction does to people and their families and just the thought of it sets us off. ...I hope that the meds help you though and don't blame you for taking them. I would hate to see a huge accident with lives lost if it could be prevented
    Oh I fully understand the addictive properties of drugs! I have been taking codeine (T3's) for several years. I don't consider myself an addict but I know I have become used to them. I don't take them for enjoyment, just for pain. Although I do have to admit that sometimes I have fallen into the "rebound" headache scenario where you end up taking them over and over. I am more fortunate than some here as the most I have ever taken in a day is 6 pills....so it is relatively easy for me to just cut back over a few weeks and I am back to only as needed.
    The bottom line is I want the Ritalin to prevent a huge accident as Longjohn555 has stated, not to get high or abuse.
    Thank you all for your information.

vduda- glad we could get that straightened out.

monster energy drinks are amazing by the way. orange or red colored all the way haha

vduda is offline Member

I think I need a monster energy drink right now! LOL

vduda is offline Member

Hey gmag,

Keep those eyes open! Maybe we can trade jobs. I do my best work at night. The sun is so bright. But seriously, I hope you are fine. Participating in sports most of my life, especially soccer and surfing, and coaching I was always out in the sun. Now I opt for the night. I am a writer and musician (starving artist syndrome) and find my best work is at night. After a while you become accustomed to the night. Just have to wait for your circadian rythem to do the turn around. Just be careful out there on the road. Play some Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Mad Season, Circle Jerks, The Clash, Iggy Pop, Sound Garden, Blind Melon...rock out and keep awake. God Bless.

grizzzlie18 is offline New Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by qmagnumq View Post
    Ok, here is possibly a strange question. I am going to have to do some work in the next few months that are from basically 10 pm to 6am...or night shift. The work involves traveling by vehicle as well. My fear is tiredness. (side note) I have a wife and two boys. My wife works and I am flexible so I take the boys to school and child care in the mornings.
    I have tried energy drinks, coffee etc. but they really don't work on me. I am not a night owl...often I am in bed at 10pm!
    These night shifts are also not regular as it may just be one or two a week so I can't get into a pattern like shift workers.
    Any recommendations as far as pills that I can temporarily take to keep me alert? It may seem like I am putting the cart before the horse, but I like to be prepared...especially as driving at 4am is involved!

Thanks!
    You can go to the doctor they have some medications for alertness.... i work third shift and have been for a year and i still get so tired. one of my really good friends gets a precription for one of the alert meds and let me try one before i went to the doctors and i found i was so awake and didnt feel like i was drinking an energy drink and i didnt feel like i was high at all. I am definetly going to go to my doctor and talk with him about them..... and the great thing is you take them when you need them so if you dont need it one day dont take it..... other alternitinves are "Wake up call" its and over the counter drug made for people who went out the night before.... it has caffine to keep you awake and a pain reliever for like headaches caused by a hangover...... last but not least there is NO-DOZ its a caffine pill made to help with staying alert I have taken them and they work but for someone like me who has to do it everynight it doesnt work as good.... i would try the no-doz and if you are unsatisfied talk to your doctor about an alert aid prescribed..... best of luck i hope i helped