Starting Induction
    JohnCates is offline New Member

Default Starting Induction

I finally decided to stop my dependence and will be using suboxone to do it. How long does it take before I start going into withdrawal? Is it more than a day?

I read the thread on induction but I'm a little confused.

Why does the induction process take 4-5 days? You start off with .5 mg and add .25 mg every 90 minutes or so until you feel better. You usually end up around 3 mg. According to my calculations, that should take about 15 hours. So, how does the induction process take 4-5 days rather than 15 hours?

pgcc is offline Member

I'm not the expert here but what opiate were you on? That will make a dfference in how you go about the induction. I think the induction is a few days because thats when you are trying to find a stable dose that works for you. Once you do you can start tapering off. Best of luck.

bppb is offline Member

You dont necessarily end up around 3mg. it all depends on what your body needs to stabalize meaning you feel normal all day and night. You cant get in the habit of taking a piece of sub everytime your feeling off. As pgcc said, it depends on which opiates you use. Following Roberts taper, you shouldn't need more then 3 mg. You have to score a true 26 on the COWS worksheet. As much pain as your going to be in, dont go easy on yourself when scoring the worksheet, it will do you more harm to start the process too early. You can do it. Just read Roberts plan. Take .5mg wait 2 hours, then take .25mg every 90 minutes after that until you feel good. Then you cant give in the rest of the night. It takes 4-5 days to induct because you have to curve a little to figure out which dose to start at. So the first day you might need 2 mg and the second day you could need 2.25mg. it all depends on how you are feeling. There are lots of good people here that will help and encourage you every step of the way. Just fill us in on a little bit of your history. Are you going to be using the suboxone pills or film strips? Good luck, you can do this!

i'm about day and a half of getting off and feeling crazy but i'm not 26 on the scale. i dont think i can take this...how much longer until i'm 26?

Strong Desire is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCates View Post
    i'm about day and a half of getting off and feeling crazy but i'm not 26 on the scale. i dont think i can take this...how much longer until i'm 26?
    John,

Remember that you only have to do this ONE TIME so do it right the first time ok. I used the plan too and now I'm recently clean. It really does work. I know how you're feeling right now, I just went through it, but you must dig down deep if you want it bad enough, and I really think you do.

And you can't take anything that will make you feel better. You have to be in enough wthdrawals before you take that first dose of sub. You can't put a time on it, the COWS score is foolproof. You have the plan and have read it. Just continue to follow it close.

Karen

Crystalclear651 is offline Senior Member

Ditto to what Karen said. Plz don't cheat on the COWS chart...make sure ur at minimum at a 26....COWS sheet doesn't go by time it goes by severity of symptoms. I wish I found this site before I inducted because I was on 32 mg a day!!! Roberts induction/taper plan has helped SO MANY people n makes it easier to taper from a small dose n also u can be off subs in 6 weeks or so. I'm finally at 1mg today, came on this forum when I hit a snag after tapering off 8 mg n everyone here is incredibly helpful n offers great advice n support. I'm here to support ya - hang in there hun...u only have to feel icky this one time n then ul b stable at a lower strength of suboxone. Take care,
    Crystal

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Desire View Post
    John,

Remember that you only have to do this ONE TIME so do it right the first time ok. I used the plan too and now I'm recently clean. It really does work. I know how you're feeling right now, I just went through it, but you must dig down deep if you want it bad enough, and I really think you do.

And you can't take anything that will make you feel better. You have to be in enough wthdrawals before you take that first dose of sub. You can't put a time on it, the COWS score is foolproof. You have the plan and have read it. Just continue to follow it close.

Karen