Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Soma overdose?
    Somekindah$ll is offline Junior Member

Default Soma overdose?

I have been reading posts here for over a year. I am worried about od'ing on Soma. I know this sounds absolutely stupid. It is stupid. I know I am taking too much right now and I need to stop. Anything over and above what was originally prescribed is too much. Any ideas on how to just quit them all together without the terrible muscle pain to follow? Does the Thomas Recipe work for this as well as opiod w/d?

HELP! I am sure that I took WAY too much yesterday and actually fell asleep at work! Have had a terrible headache ever since, but I had to come to work today. Any ideas?

Freedom4me is offline Advanced Member

Dear Some,
    Please be very, very carefull taking too much medication of any kind. I think you answered your own question in that taking any medication above and beyond what was prescribed is not good for you. I know you don't want to die but accidental overdoses are common place. I have never taken Soma so I can't help with what the withdrawals will be like but I am sure that there will be someone to post who has some experience. take care.

caughtagain is offline Diamond Member

Some
    Although I do not know the specifics of Soma, I do know this... Soma is a muscle relaxer, The heart is a muscle.... Be careful and let us know if we can help....CA

Thanks for the replies. I think I need to come clean with my MD and just tell him to cancel my refills. Right???? Obviously I am not being responsible enough. I am a wife and a mom so it's not like I can just die on them! But I hurt so much......there has to be a better way to handle this. Up until just a few years ago I would not take any RX meds. Look at me now.....honestly, it disgusts me. And I have a pretty high profile job so I would be missed if I disappeared to detox or whatever. Plus, everyone in town would know! It would probably cause a diivorce, too. IDK what to do right now.

First thing you need to do is take a deep breath and understand that the support group here can help you. Take some time and tell us the complete story (gives us info to help). Opiate, Muscle relaxers are not meant to be used on a permanent basis. Let us know how we can help, but at least feel good you started to post. That in and of itself is a step......CA

Robert_325 is offline Retired

The Thomas Recipe has no affect on soma dependency. Exercise, swimming, getting out in the sun are the best methods of kicking soma. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Ok, so how do I drag myself out to exercise when all I want to do is go home and pass out? I guess that is my biggest obstacle. The bad thing is that I was previously addicted to percs... went from them to Soma, But the Soma makes me sooo sleepy that I want to just go back to percs. I have a few Subs too. Actually I just ran out percs a few days ago, took the subs for 3 days at a low dose, then filled my Somas. how messed up is that?? I guess I was just waiting to fill the percs again.....but I am a monster with these drugs. I have got to stop. My marriage, my job and my life are on the line here. I am young....but how I got here i don't remember. I DO have real, documented medical issues, RA, Fibro, scoliosis, the list goes on. Those are my excuses to fill scripts. I NEED THEM. At least that's what my addict brain tells me. i feel so much better when I am hyped up on narcotics. I am superwoman. But I know I am killing my liver and myself. I just don't know how to stop this cycle. When it got to the point that I was hiding things from my husband and my kids saw me popping pills all the time, it kinda hit me, ya know? But, all I can think about is the last time I stopped taking pills, I felt real bad for weeks, months. Do the brain receptors EVER heal to begin producing natural endorphins again? Cause if not, then I don't want to stop!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 06-29-2010 at 06:39 PM.

Some,
    It is not going to be easy and you will feel like garbage for a week but it is better than leaving your kids without there mother! You can do this. Tell people you have the flu because thats what it will feel like. Throw all your pills away and do this thing for yourself and your family. We have all been there. Some of us have come out on the other side. I am 1 year and 4 mos off vicodin. I am no special person so if I can do it you can do it. In the beginning, I felt as weak as you feel right now. I decided to save my own life and it made me strong....stronger than I ever thought I could be. You can do it. We will be here to support you. Drug addiction only ends a few ways....jail, death, or hopefully you decide to quit and choose LIFE!

PeterRabbit2 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somekindah$ll View Post
    I have been reading posts here for over a year. I am worried about od'ing on Soma. I know this sounds absolutely stupid. It is stupid. I know I am taking too much right now and I need to stop. Anything over and above what was originally prescribed is too much. Any ideas on how to just quit them all together without the terrible muscle pain to follow? Does the Thomas Recipe work for this as well as opiod w/d?

HELP! I am sure that I took WAY too much yesterday and actually fell asleep at work! Have had a terrible headache ever since, but I had to come to work today. Any ideas?
    The best way to stop Soma is gradually. You need professional guidance in this matter.

Keep this in mind: Soma is metabolized by the body (the liver I think) into the HIGHLY addictive drug Miltown, an anti-anxiety agent.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 06-29-2010 at 10:34 PM.
    Peter

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

YOu could always do an out-patient rehab. Look into it. I wish you well. You can do this!!

Some, I have Reflex Sympathetic dystrophy, I have a non union of my left ankle that could not be repaired after 13 operations. I have three herniated discs with radiculopathy.... Real pain that could be helped with muscle relaxers and pain meds. I am sure with about 90 percent certainty that I could convince a doc to give me a script... But here is the thing, I am also an addict, which takes cetain meds out of the picture. At some point we have to make a decision that we want to live without the pills. It sounds like your addict brain is playing games with you, as it has done with all of us. My nickname Caught again is because I went through relapse more times that I could ever count or remember. I used to trade addiction for addiction.. If it wasn't opiates, I would take valium until I got another script of pills and so forth. Man ...is it a grind. SO I know how you feel. I chose pills over life for many years and looking back on those years, I now realize I exsisted for pills not life. All the activities I did were based upon how many pills I had. Not the kind of life ANYONE would want. I am 44 now and I am thankful everyday for my eventual choice of life. I fight everyday the disease I have and what I have found is "I" would rather live with the pain I have from my ankle and back, than DIE from the disease of addiction..... There is no rationalization that needs to be done in your case. LIVE OR DIE.......... I know you want life, so if you need us and our help, post and post often. This site saved my life and if it can do it for a hard headed type A guy like me... Well anyone can be saved from their choices. ........................CA
    Last edited by caughtagain; 06-30-2010 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caughtagain View Post
    Some, I have Reflex Sympathetic dystrophy, I have a non union of my left ankle that could not be repaired after 13 operations. I have three herniated discs with radiculopathy.... Real pain that could be helped with muscle relaxers and pain meds. I am sure with about 90 percent certainty that I could convince a doc to give me a script... But here is the thing, I am also an addict, which takes cetain meds out of the picture. At some point we have to make a decision that we want to live without the pills. It sounds like your addict brain is playing games with you, as it has done with all of us. My nickname Caught again is because I went through relapse more times that I could ever count or remember. I used to trade addiction for addiction.. If it wasn't opiates, I would take valium until I got another script of pills and so forth. Man ...is it a grind. SO I know how you feel. I chose pills over life for many years and looking back on those years, I now realize I exsisted for pills not life. All the activities I did were based upon how many pills I had. Not the kind of life ANYONE would want. I am 44 now and I am thankful everyday for my eventual choice of life. I fight everyday the disease I have and what I have found is "I" would rather live with the pain I have from my ankle and back, than DIE from the disease of addiction..... There is no rationalization that needs to be done in your case. LIVE OR DIE.......... I know you want life, so if you need us and our help, post and post often. This site saved my life and if it can do it for a hard headed type A guy like me... Well anyone can be saved from their choices. ........................CA
    Thanks again for the replies...
    caughtagain- So, one of my questions now is this- do I throw them away or TRY to taper? Is Soma like alcohol in that if you have a lot in your system and then just stop, can you have seizures and stuff like that?

Peter- I know I need professional help. The thing is that is not possible right now. I can't afford the $200-$500 visits. I have been looking into this for awhile. I actually got the Subs from one of these visits (when trying to stop the percs), but the maintenance is $400/mo. and I really don't have it. That doesn't include the co-pay on the rx. So.....can you tell me more about what you said about the metabolization of Soma?
    This usually means if you stop suddenly, you can have seizures, right? And, how do you know this or how do I find out? No offense, I am just trying to be straight-forward. Thank you
    Last edited by Somekindah$ll; 06-30-2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: added info

Some, I am not sure of the WD from SOMA and what is causes, however, the important/good thing is that you are ready to do what is needed. RIght on to that. someone who has the knowledge will answer the Seizure question. I will see if I can find out the answer. In the meantime just get amped to start your new life.... Keep posting how you feel. THink of this as your journal..............CA

O.K. so I just did some checking and SOMA. They suggest you do NOT stop all at once. So a Taper plan would be the way to go. Hopefully one of the members will suggest a taper plan. ..............CA

O.K. so I just did some checking and SOMA. They suggest you do NOT stop all at once. So a Taper plan would be the way to go. Hopefully one of the members will suggest a taper plan. ..............CA
    Thanks, CA. I appreciate that. I am definitely ready...i think....anyway I've got to do this. I do not want any more Soma, percocet, etc. I didn't even know that I had a problem, well, I didn't have a problem before. As in, no other addictions.....I don't really drink except socially and then it's just one or two. Both my parents were addicts so that was enough for me to stay away from drugs my entire life until I got older and started having health issues. I've never done any illicit street drug, don't even know what it looks like, except for hash since they had me packaging that when I was 6 years old! I don't remember much about that, thank God.

So, I guess addiction is in my genes?? lol Luckily, I was removed from all that when my Dad died and I left my mom at an early age. I had never had a perco or vic or anything else until I had my wisdom teeth out about 10 years ago. I didn't even take the whole script. Probably threw it away.

Now, ten years later, I have a really high tolerance to narcotics since I have taken so many for so long.

I just really need a plan, maybe some support. We have a vacation planned and I would like to enjoy my family again, but I think I forgot what that feels like. I can't take any time off work until then. Husband is p$ssed that I'm "on something" but he never notices unless it's soma. When I took the percs, he was happy as a clam. Clean house, dinner cooked, etc. BUT, lately I haven't done ANYTHING. And, I don't blame him for being mad. I am just doing what I have to do to get by right now. Shower, work, bed. It is awful and I wish I could talk to him about it, but I can't. I promised a long time ago when I went on the subs that this would be it. And it was for several months until my wreck, etc. You know how that goes. So, really this is my 2nd attempt. But I fear it may be my last.

Yeah Some, but ya know at some point decisions have to be made and you started your own process by coming on here and posting. Do not discount that fact. THat is huge. Just start working the process. Check out hellokittys thread. She worked "the plan" to a tea and is now at day 18. I also understand the family thing., I also went through that. I did it alone and just had my new family on here to make it. I am coming up on one year, so "the plan" works. What will start happening is you will start to have a new clarity that you probably have not had for some time. Through that clarity you will start to be better equipped to deal with life on life's terms. I remember when I was active in my use. It was amazing how many "crisis" I had. Since I got clean, those crisis are non exsistant. Don't get me wrong, life still throws me zingers, but I handle them differently. Before if I had a problem i would disappear with a pill or seven. Now I process what I am going through and deal with it by handling the issue... In any event, stick with yourself and stick with the DCC. Lets get you back.............................CA

Yeah Some, but ya know at some point decisions have to be made and you started your own process by coming on here and posting. Do not discount that fact. THat is huge. Just start working the process. Check out hellokittys thread. She worked "the plan" to a tea and is now at day 18. I also understand the family thing., I also went through that. I did it alone and just had my new family on here to make it. I am coming up on one year, so "the plan" works. What will start happening is you will start to have a new clarity that you probably have not had for some time. Through that clarity you will start to be better equipped to deal with life on life's terms. I remember when I was active in my use. It was amazing how many "crisis" I had. Since I got clean, those crisis are non exsistant. Don't get me wrong, life still throws me zingers, but I handle them differently. Before if I had a problem i would disappear with a pill or seven. Now I process what I am going through and deal with it by handling the issue... In any event, stick with yourself and stick with the DCC. Lets get you back.............................CA
    OMGosh....what you said about having "crisis".....WOW....my husband has been saying that for awhile- that it seems like I just need to chill cause everything is a "crisis" to me. He says I freak out way too often AND yesterday, my boss told me that I needed to be on valium or something. He was kidding, I think, but maybe not. Said I made a bigger deal out of something than it really was....so yes, I think i can relate to that. I just thought it was me, hormones, age, whatever. But, now I guess not. WOW.

Some,
    So where are you in all of this? When was your last pill? Have you thrown everything away and are you ready to get this behind you? We are all rooting for you. Let's get going on this and get you clean and sober. No time better than the present. Go throw everything away and lets get to it girl!! We are here for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4me View Post
    Some,
    So where are you in all of this? When was your last pill? Have you thrown everything away and are you ready to get this behind you? We are all rooting for you. Let's get going on this and get you clean and sober. No time better than the present. Go throw everything away and lets get to it girl!! We are here for you.
    Well, I am getting conflicting advice and I realize no one here is an MD, so...idk if I should throw it out (the soma) or try to taper.....all advice is welcome and considered....either way I know I am going to feel like h#ll so it really doesn't matter about that. It's more the mental issue of poppin a pill to feel "better". Ya know?

I REALLY need to hear from someone about their personal experience with Soma...but if there isn't anyone then I guess I will continue to try and figure this out myself. With help, of course

Default Taper Plan for Soma?

Ok, does anyone out there know of a taper plan for Soma? I haven't counted them but I probably have 25-30....
    Would I just cut down for a week or what?
    Say 6 today
    5 tomorrow
    then none??? Or is that too fast, too slow? Any ideas?

Some.... No conflict... TAPER. Free was speaking more in a nonlittoral sense. She probably did not reread the last few threads.. You do not want to chance seizure period.
    WHen you googe SOMA WITHDRAWL, They all say do not stop taking immediatly.
    Last edited by caughtagain; 06-30-2010 at 12:10 PM.

Long Taper
    Reduce carisoprodol dose over 9 days:
    1 tablet three times a day for 3 days, then
    1 tablet two times a day for 3 days, then
    1 tablet once a day for 3 days
    Some
    the above is what I found out about Taper schedule. THe tablet depends on the strength you are taking. IT comes in either 350mg or 250.

Long Taper
    Reduce carisoprodol dose over 9 days:
    1 tablet three times a day for 3 days, then
    1 tablet two times a day for 3 days, then
    1 tablet once a day for 3 days
    Some
    the above is what I found out about Taper schedule. THe tablet depends on the strength you are taking. IT comes in either 350mg or 250.
    That is a fast taper, I wouldn't go any faster than that, FOR SURE!

Notice VERY carefully that the drug that Soma is metabolized into is Miltown (meprobamate). You will not be withdrawing from Soma but from one of its metabolites!

If you stop taking Meprobamate suddenly, you may have WITHDRAWAL symptoms. These may include anxiety; appetite loss; confusion; hallucinations; loss of coordination; muscle twitching; seizures; sleeplessness; tremors; vomiting.

Read more: http://www.drugs.com/cdi/meprobamate.html#ixzz0sMQZUgnT

You must taper Soma gradually. If you start to feel "weird" or "out of body" you're probably decreasing too fast. You may experience a withdrawal similar to alcohol's.
    If you do a rapid detox, you will put yourself at risk of seizure.

I hate to see you doing this outside of a doctor's care. It's not entirely safe. I cannot stress enough...do not stop the drug suddenly.

Just take about 100mg less than you did the day before. (Decrease by one 350mg tablet every 3 days as said above.)
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 06-30-2010 at 02:20 PM.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Somekindah$ll View Post
    Ok, so how do I drag myself out to exercise when all I want to do is go home and pass out?

Do the brain receptors EVER heal to begin producing natural endorphins again? Cause if not, then I don't want to stop!
    Answer one: Take it one step at a time.

Answer two: Yes, the brain heals, it may take up to a year before you are completely healed. It's what you do in the interim that matters. You will be SORELY tempted to return to poppin' when the stress/occasion "calls for it". You will defy your own sense of reason at times, but it is not a weakness of character, only the tyranny of chemistry.

You have a multi-faceted addiction, I can give you vague suggestions such as "discontinue each addictive medication one at a time" and "taper gradually." I cannot however, see with crystal clarity, your entire picture and I simply can't "fix it"
    with words.....

This is where you need some personal attention, I think, with a doctor. Make the first move and you will, in the long term, be respected for it.
    Last edited by PeterRabbit2; 06-30-2010 at 02:38 PM.
    Peter

Some,
    CA was right, I was speaking about getting rid of the percs and any other opiate you have and then tapering the soma. I just meant lets get you going on a plan to get off of the pills. You can do it. You need to set up a tapor schedule and then stick to it. i would feel better if you spoke to yoour doctor about a plan to tapor. You dont have to tell him your problem, just tell him that you want to stop taking them and have read that you should not do so abrubptly and what would be a good plan to reduce and eventually be off of them. that way he can give you enough for you to do it safely. I am with you all the way.
    Thanks CA for letting her know what I meant. I got busy at work and would have hated for her to take me literally and cause her harm!! You are my man!

sikko1zz is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRabbit2 View Post
    The best way to stop Soma is gradually. You need professional guidance in this matter.

Keep this in mind: Soma is metabolized by the body (the liver I think) into the HIGHLY addictive drug Miltown, an anti-anxiety agent.
    i concur - that's why some people refer to somas a 'benzo-type; drugs - personally i was rough on myself to get it over with - i went from taking over 20 somas a day down to 0 in less than 2 weeks - the w/ds weren't anything close to a sub or opiate wd - just take hot baths to relax those muscles take care of your food & vitamin intake, push yourself to the limit w/ the w/ds & it's be over before you know it - good luck to you - this is very attainable - just remember; basically wd from a certain drug mimics the opposite spectrum of what it treats...did that make sense

Quote Originally Posted by sikko1zz View Post
    just remember; basically wd from a certain drug mimics the opposite spectrum of what it treats...did that make sense
    This probably does make sense if I was thinking straight.

I think what you are saying is this- and correct if I am wrong-
    Opiates give you a euphoric high and relieve pain, so while in wd from them that's why you feel so bad and depressed.

But with the Soma, they don't really do that to me...actually I'm not even sure WHY i take the d*mn things! They make me sleepy. BUT, they DO help with the pain I suffer from opiate wd. OMgosh, that is so stupid. I am basically bouncing from one to the other...since the worst part of my opiate wd is over, then I need to just STOP those...as in forever. But that is what I planned last time too. So, I guess that is just a mind thing for me. Not that this really matters, but I never bought from anyone, so I don't have those kind of friends to worry about losing. And, I always took them by mouth, never shot up. I did chew them up though. 2 at a time all day long, until they were gone.

So, I am trying to taper the Soma....having a little trouble there. I am at work, feel like sh*t. Headache, back and neck and knees all hurt.

But, the sun is shining and I think I will take an early lunch and go sit next to the river, or maybe IN the river if it gets much hotter. I just HAVE to find something to get my mind off popping pills...

Thanks everyone for your support. I feel like an idiot posting some of this information. If it's TMI, just tell me.

One more positive note- I took the initiative for the 1st time in a LONG TIME to make dinner last night. Granted, it was not my old 4-course meal served on the best china, but it was a start, right?
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-01-2010 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4me View Post
    Some,
    CA was right, I was speaking about getting rid of the percs and any other opiate you have and then tapering the soma. I just meant lets get you going on a plan to get off of the pills. You can do it. You need to set up a tapor schedule and then stick to it. i would feel better if you spoke to yoour doctor about a plan to tapor. You dont have to tell him your problem, just tell him that you want to stop taking them and have read that you should not do so abrubptly and what would be a good plan to reduce and eventually be off of them. that way he can give you enough for you to do it safely. I am with you all the way.
    Thanks CA for letting her know what I meant. I got busy at work and would have hated for her to take me literally and cause her harm!! You are my man!
    Ok, I get what you were saying. I am completely out of opiates....so, that's already done. The thing about talking to the doctor, well....I was only prescribed 350 mg 3x day. So, I would have to tell her that I was taking too many....and I can't do that. It's complicated. That's why I have to do this on my own.

Hang in there some, post as much as you need. when I was getting clean, I would post to help me pass the time, which it did... I felt so bad that the only thing that kept me going was sitting in my office and reading posts and posting myself. So keep posting, use it as your own journal that you can look back on and be proud. We are here for you...................CA
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-01-2010 at 07:16 PM.

Default What is wrong with me??????????

:eek Well. I obviously cannot control my Soma intake. I am so mad at myself. I have a rough day at work and then pop some extra pills like a dummy. The rate I am going, I will just seize out and die.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast