Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By freedom11
  • 1 Post By shrimpboat 1942
  • 1 Post By MetalDuckMFC
  • 1 Post By Denny_D
short time suboxone substitute
    sharrr is offline Junior Member

Default short time suboxone substitute

I take 8 mg of suoxone, one half a pill twice a day. The clinic I go to rescheduled my appt. Which messed up me getting a script from my dr. because i am short about four pills. I told the clinic about the issue and explained that i can not just go off 8 mg of suboxone just like that. And could they please get me in sooner to see the dr. In case the dr. does not write a script because it's to early, or for whatever reason,what can I take so I don't become sick from withdrawals. I am scared to death of going even the shortest amount of time without. And how would i take something else without getting sick? Any help would be appreciated, thank you

Denny_D is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by sharrr View Post
    I take 8 mg of suoxone, one half a pill twice a day. The clinic I go to rescheduled my appt. Which messed up me getting a script from my dr. because i am short about four pills. I told the clinic about the issue and explained that i can not just go off 8 mg of suboxone just like that. And could they please get me in sooner to see the dr. In case the dr. does not write a script because it's to early, or for whatever reason,what can I take so I don't become sick from withdrawals. I am scared to death of going even the shortest amount of time without. And how would i take something else without getting sick? Any help would be appreciated, thank you
    sharr .... You should copy down "The Thomas Recipe" for opiate withdrawl. It has lots of good vitamins, minerals, and supplements to help you get through. I have posted a link below for you.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...wal-35169.html

The 8mg is a very large amount of Sub to be taking. As you know, stopping that large of a dose abruptly is going to give you all kinds of trouble. If the clinic rescheduled your appt. without your requesting it, they should understand your situation and keep you from running out.

On the other hand you mentioned something about it being "too early" for a refill. We all know what that means and they probably won't refill it sooner than is required.

In any event, do not take any other opiate as the Sub will block your receptors and you won't feel any relief. And then if you start the Sub back up too soon after taking another opiate, you could go into precipated withdrawls which means you will become deathly ill. Hope this helps. God Bless.....Denny

Thanks for your response. But I'm still in a mess, what I need is suboxone but have know idea were to get it except from a dr. I hate this so much I can't see straight! I sound like a desperate addict, sad.

freedom11 is offline Advanced Member

Try not to panic Sharr; how much have you got left now? have you got any at all? Subs have longish half life so you will have some cover for a couple of days. I don't know if the xperts would recommend this or not but if it were me and I had for example, 3x8mg for 6 days, although the tapering recommendation is 25%, I might cut them down to 5mgs so they more or less last. Even if you run out on the last day, you should have enough in your system to be ok. Just a thought. It might help you to read Robert_325 tapering stickie. I think you will find it on the main discussion board under featured drugs. Love Jay xx
    Robert_325 likes this.

I have almost two full 8 mg strips. One of the strips I cut a tiny little piece off. Then I have a full 8 mg strip. To be honest, I am kind of worried that my dr. thinks I am abusing suboxone. This is the second time in a row I have been short pills. I have tried to tell her that I might need more than she originally prescribed, that I would like to increase my dose, well she became extremely upset that I even suggested it and said that I should be lowering my dose not increasing it. I know that I do depend quite a bit on them. I just don't like other people looking down on me and questioning my honesty just cause I once in a while take a bit more than I'm supposed to. I feel weak and not in control. It would be great if I could be 100 per cent up front with my dr. Is any one else abusing suboxone? Is this common?

I have almost two full 8 mg strips. One of the strips I cut a tiny little piece off. Then I have a full 8 mg strip. To be honest, I am kind of worried that my dr. thinks I am abusing suboxone. This is the second time in a row I have been short pills. I have tried to tell her that I might need more than she originally prescribed, that I would like to increase my dose, well she became extremely upset that I even suggested it and said that I should be lowering my dose not increasing it. I know that I do depend quite a bit on them. I just don't like other people looking down on me and questioning my honesty just cause I once in a while take a bit more than I'm supposed to. I feel weak and not in control. It would be great if I could be 100 per cent up front with my dr. Is any one else abusing suboxone? Is this common?
    hi Sharr - you say is anyone else 'abusing sub?' - do you think you are abusing them? You said you're worried your doctor thinks that but not that you think that. Just right now, if you can't get hold of any to maintain your normal dose, why not just divide them up - I think it's important, from what I understand that you don't keep changing the dose, make it the same dose eg 5 mg or 6 mg. I think you might well surprise yourself - that it will actually be OK.. When I started with it I think I had a couple of 4mgs and then phased down quite quickly to 2mg and have been going a lot slower to 0.33 mg. Sounds almost like your Doctor might be trying hard to get you to reduce your dose. Maybe the talking honestly about it bit would be to say that you're not ready just now? Personally, sorry to say this, but I am glad she is not giving you a higher dose. It seems like there are too many doctors are giving way too high doses. In case I am sounding moralistic, and I hope I am not, in answer to your question, I have abused opiates, >>>>>> in fact, and am on subs as a means to an end. Maybe you could share what has led you to subs? Take care. Jay xxx

Yes I think i am abusing suboxone. Although it could be worse, I suppose it's the constant need to feel that rush we [ addicts] want to experience, Whether it is slightly more controlled with suboxone or not. I find myself always thinking about the time when I will have to be weaned off. Every dr. visit I worry this will be it! For me,going off subs means going right back on percocet. Initially because of the w/d,. Then it just begins to snowball from there. It only gets worse but knowing that doesn't help at all. Why do you think most people continue to abuse opiates? Over and over? I trully believe that to stop pills altogether, it takes a extremely deicated,strong individual.

Yes I think i am abusing suboxone. Although it could be worse, I suppose it's the constant need to feel that rush we [ addicts] want to experience, Whether it is slightly more controlled with suboxone or not. I find myself always thinking about the time when I will have to be weaned off. Every dr. visit I worry this will be it! For me,going off subs means going right back on percocet. Initially because of the w/d,. Then it just begins to snowball from there. It only gets worse but knowing that doesn't help at all. Why do you think most people continue to abuse opiates? Over and over? I trully believe that to stop pills altogether, it takes a extremely deicated,strong individual.
    sharr .... why would you even try to abuse Suboxone? It has a "ceiling effect" of around 32mg's. This means that you can take all you want and you just won't get high. You are just wasting your Suboxone. If you think you can keep taking more and more to get that "rush", you are mistaken.

I would do as freedom says and try to slow down. If you have (2) - 8mg strips left, I would cut them in half for 2-4mg pieces, then in half again for 4-2mg pieces, then in half again for 8-1mg pieces. Take 1mg twice per day, or even once per day. That is all you need to have in your system.

The long half-life of the Sub, up to 72 hours, will keep you medicated quite well. You absolutely do not need more than that. That's a fact. I know as addicts we are always trying to put the most of what we have down the tube until gone. But Sub is much different. You are abusing and running yourself short all the time. You said it yourself.

In any event, try to slow down and get on a steady dose of 1mg once or twice per day as I said. You will find that this works much, much better. God Bless.....Denny
    Last edited by Denny_D; 09-17-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Default A different take

Maybe instead of tapering, Sharr, you might consider just staying at one steady dose. That should be challenging enough from what you have said. Subs are frequently prescribed as a maintenance medication to prevent patients like you from going back to percs, like you said.

It's the variation in your dosing which is giving you the search for highs. If you could dose yourself steadily by the clock, because of the Sub's L O N G half life, you should reach a steady state rapidly and feel secure in your use. The ups and downs of dosing of addictive drugs is their HOOK. Avoid it by not varying the dose. Perhaps that's your best bet for staying free from percs.. I'd ask your doctor if she has any patients on long term subs, then square with her that you feel that is best for you to keep you from chasing percs. If you approach this steadily, then you may get free from that awful feeling of "needing" the next high.

Being addicted is no fun and I can hear the desperation in your post. I hope you can smooth out your sub dosing and then after some smooth time, you might consider tapering. But I don't hear that desire in your post yet.

Shrimpboat
    Littln12 likes this.

MetalDuckMFC is offline Senior Member

You abuse the script. You lie to your doctor. This is AT LEAST the second month in a row this has happened, judging by your previous threads. At one point, you said you were stable at 1mg a day. How did you get ALL the way back up to 8mg? I am amazed that they are still working with you. Going up in the slightest amount can be devastating, but from 1mg to 8mg?

I don't mean to sound harsh. I wish the best for you. But try to see it from your doctor's point of view. This IS a little ridiculous, and you are receiving FAR more lenience that anybody else I have EVER spoken to that have slipped a few times along the way.

Suboxone IS a miracle drug if used correctly. If used incorrectly, as you now know, you'd be better off just cold turykying from the hydro and oxy. You state that you CANNOT stand the withdrawals. I simply refuse to believe that. They are uncomfortable, annoying, etc. Nobody denies that. But they DO NOT kill you, and it would have lasted a week, at max.

You also say that you like the 'rush'. You are NOT an addict that wants to get clean. Your an addict that got sick of looking for pills on the streets, and now enjoys the fact that her doctor will give her something cheap and legal that will continue to get her high.

All that is fine, too. Recovery isn't a race. But at least be honest with yourself. When you're ready, and you WILL be ready, you will have the support of everyone on this forum. Myself included.
    Denny_D likes this.

Anonymous Guest

how much have you got left.?

and how many days do you have to get thru....?

if you can count, do the maths and then figure out how much you are gonna have to get by with till your appointment.

and yeh, i think you need to figure out why you are wantin a rush off something that GIVES YOU NO RUSH WHATSOEVER.

you either want to get clean. or you want to stay on. its your choice. doctors will be glad to keep you on forever, its you payin their way. but unless you get a handle on abusing your subs, this is gonna keep happening.

we know it will. jeez i did the same with my methadone. buggar tomorrow i would say, lets double up today. then tomorrow comes and we are sooooo sorry for ourselves, after being cocky just the day before. i know it too well.

you gota do some soul searchin mate. figure it out. seems to me you dont want to be clean anyway. i was an iv user for over 20 years and i got clean using subs. its possible but YOU GOTTA WANT IT.... and if you taper correctly, its not like cold turkey, its a bit rough, but NOTHING LIKE COLD TURKEY....

do you want to be clean..???? easy question.....

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

You could take 4 mgs. a day instead of 8 and you would suffer ZERO w/d. 8 is a VERY high dose as sub is stronger than almost any other opiate. It also has a very long half life so you would not go into w/d for a few days even if you ran out. Maybe you wouldn't get that "rush" but you wouldn't be sick either. I take a tiny piece of a 2 mg. sub every OTHER day now. I have yet to feel w/d. I've attempted to skip 2 days and in all honesty, I didn't feel w/d then either, just anxiety and so I ended up taking my sliver. Those 2 strips will last you - IF you want them to.

sharr .... guess I should read all of your threads. If Metal Duck is correct you really do need help. Shrimpboat, NewYorkGal, and Cheeky all gave you good advice. What do you really want to accomplish? Get clean and off the drugs, or learn how to obtain more of the same?

If it's getting more, you have come to the wrong forum. However If you are truely wanting to quit using and get yourself clean, you have absolutely come to the right place. We will all help in any way we can. But you must help yourself first.

In my opinon for what it's worth, you could cut all the way down to taking 1mg of Sub, twice per day. And you will not feel any withdrawl symptoms either I'm willing to give you odds. NewYorkGal has the right idea. The very long half-life of the Subs will be in your system to keep you well medicated. I know, I have been there.

Decide what you really want to do and post back with your intentions. I told you all of this in my 2nd post to you. Help is here and willing to take a chance on you. Hope this helps. God Bless.....Denny
    shrimpboat 1942 likes this.

First of all, when I was talking about "a rush" I was referring to percocet not suboxone! And if that cheeky person wasn't so quick to attack, he would of realized the date on my thread that refers to being on 1mg. I am shocked and somewhat angry at cheeky's respnse. The only reason I opened up and was so honest was stupid of me. You don't know all the details regarding my situation. How did someone so perfect like your self happen to become just another common addict? I don't know your story but once you start to belittle others with knowledge worthy of your community college education, not every one like myself, will stand for it! I admit that my post could have been taken the wrong way especially if you don't know my story. Despite the fact you really don't know what your talking about, I do believe Robert 325 does! Which is why I will continue to learn from this forum.

sorry, I got the two names mixed up and used the wrong name, I was referring to metalduck not cheeky.

Hey SHarr - Hi there. People, like me, get frustrated on this site and cross and grumpy and overly sensitive - we're all human and mostly struggling; I find it hard sometimes cos I can't see the non-verbal communication. ANd as I'm writing something i can't see the face of the other person and there's the time lag. I could write something and get a response, but when I read it, I'm in a completely different place... Anyway, just wanted to say that I have been misunderstood and have misunderstood a few times and I haven't been on this site for very long and am tapering off subs. However, I don't think (99.9%) sure that I have never had a post where someone wasn't trying to help by sharing their experience, giving advice etc. You don't have to agree with anything - in fact, I really like it when people have different views.
    I hope that you keep posting and use this site for the support you need by 'talking' and reading other threads. Take care. Love Jay xx

Anonymous Guest

sharr, have you got stable on one dose yet..?

are you working on that. ? seems to be the best bet. honestly, if you stuck to 8mg daily, and didnt go up when you felt like a bit more, you would then be stable, then start to come down a bit.

going from 8mg to 6mg, back when i was on subs, was noooo problem. i promise.

give it a try. youve got to get off the roundabout sometime mate.

good luck

I would love to be able to answer with out worrying about what I said or if I said it the wrong way. I am not someone who just doesn't feel like chasing down pills every day. If I still wanted to take pills,and be that person I grew to hate then what would i be doing taking a medication like suboxone.? It's pretty messed up when a person who is an addict, asks for help and is very concerned about the amount of suboxone she is taking and why her Dr. is increasing the amount when in the beginning the Dr. was so opposed to the thought of it. My Dr. just increased my dose from 8 mg to 12 mg.a day. She initially wanted to jump to 16 mg but I said no thank you before she finished the sentence. What i am so concerned about is when it's time to wean off of them. It is always in the back of my mind. That scares me alot. Any way, that is my number one concern right now, thank you for listening.

Anonymous Guest

well you dont need to worry about coming off them while you are raising your dose.

thats the dose i started on(12mg) i couldnt sleep. was wired. and it was too high...

i was a chaser of drugs too. over 20 years of hitting up drugs. if you really want it. you can get it... you need to stop letting the fear control you..

personally i think going up is a mistake, but you obviously have your doctor onside. mind you, all they want is your money.

when you say you dont know how to answer without worrying about what you said.
    that is warning bells for me. being honest has always been my best policy. and it should be yours too. honesty with yourself. do you want to get clean.? going up seems to be in the wrong direction for this goal..

good luck, i feel as if as long as you are stable or going down in your dose, you are succeeding. right now, you must have told your doctor you wanted to go up in dose, or they wouldnt have done it. you need to get honest WITH YOURSELF, NOT US, about why your dose got put up. coz really, it doesnt matter at all what we think, its your recovery, and you have to take responsibility for it. no one else can. cant blame the doctor, or us.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-05-2011 at 05:25 AM.

I have to say that when I decided to talk about my suboxone concerns on this board, never would I have thought I would be accused of trying to score subs or being told I am blaming someone I don't even know or that I'm blaming my dr. or I'm trying to convince who ever that I don't have a problem when I took more subs than prescribed. I am actually reading all of this with my mouth wide open in shock! Even though this is anonymous, I am extremely embarrassed and humiliated to say the least. This would be a perfect example why I was so worried about saying the wrong thing. try not to be so harsh on the next person!

Anonymous Guest

see sharr, we are addicts. and we can spot bullshet a mile away. and unfortunately your story is full of it. one minute you are short on pills. wantin to taper. nex thing you are blaming the doc for putting you up in dose. and now you are paranoid about a load of druggies on the internet calling you out.

you obviously got thru the shortfall in your subs. and you are happy on 12mg....

let us all know when you want to take the next step. easy as that. no hassles..

i could get totally bailed up for sayin this, but at that dose. there is NO WAY IN HELL you are even near withdrawls which you say you are getting... thats just not true. so it must still be in your head. and dont think im just being judgemental, ive been there, and once the subs kicked in there was no way i was hangin out for hard drugs any more. not just pills either mate, hard core iv....

you need to stop worrying what we think. and figure out what it is THAT YOU WANT....

Oh my! A this point all I can do is laugh Whether it's your need to be in control or the fact you've been called out. I can't really say for sure. Let me offer you some advice: step back and get over yourself. This is so all you and not me. Ask yourself this, can I still try to help others without being such a dick? Bye now

Anonymous Guest

Sharr......
    I wish I could tell you how many times I've seen this happen in threads.
    Everyone who takes the time to post.....if you will look at the number of posts each person has made,
    for example, Cheeky,
    you will see that most of us have been where you are, been angry at times, felt misunderstood at times, but have made it through the difficult journey of getting
    clean.
    We are here to give back what was given to us. Some of us are more familiar with certain drugs than others.
    Just try to not be defensive, take a look at the threads of those who are posting to you. You will see and understand how lucky you are to reap the benefits of other's experience.
    Best of luck with your own personal journey.
    I will be honest with you, Cheeky has made it through more than most, successfully, with lots of humor and bravery.
    Marian

Just a quick thank you for reminding me to not lose sight.

Anonymous Guest

sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. and thanks shadow, yes i have come thru a long way..
    sharrr, it is not about me...

what did you come here for..??

anyway, dont worry, i wont be back on your thread either, you can say see ya later, but in the end, im clean. you came here for help. gettin off track and paranoid, is not gonna help you one bit. i tried to make you realize the only one you are kidding is yourself. but thats fine. a few years down the track, you might realize that oh, maybe that cheeky on the forum, was trying to do me a favour. in the mean time, keep going back to that money hungry sub doctor. keep going up in your dose. and then see what a power of trouble subs can be....

and harsh..... p l e a s e..... get over yourself.

MetalDuckMFC is offline Senior Member

Sorry, sharr. But I agree with cheeky fully. You're just VERY inconsistent. Try to look at it from our point of view; we don't get paid for this. We take time out of our own lives to try and help people who are going through the same stuff we have and still are going through. If you're not being honest with yourself, or us, you're most likely wasting our time. We do not mean to attack you, or demean you in ANY way, This addiction is a horrible disease, and I truly wish the best for you. But, until you can get your story straight, I am not convinced you really want my help, and I would much rather invest my time in someone who does.

Like cheeky said, us addicts can smell bull???? a mile away.