• 3 Post By MP5
  • 6 Post By Anonymous
  • 1 Post By rxqueen83
  • 2 Post By Robert_325
  • 2 Post By iloerose
severe withdrawls... need advice ASAP
    rubindawg is offline New Member

Exclamation severe withdrawls... need advice ASAP

my boyfriend is having serious withdrawls from suboxone. he has been taking them for about 3 years and was down to about 6mg a day. he was buying them on the streets and has been out since tuesday. we have him set to start a program on monday night, but i don't know if he can make it that long!! we asked the intake councelor today what to do until then about the withdrawls and she just said don't stop taking them, but wouldn't perscribe them or tell us how to get them until monday night. she almost hinted that he should just go back to his dealer until then!?!?! WTF she gave us the number to a detox place but they said that they can't help him and that we should call the hospital. the hospital said there was no way they would give him suboxone but we could still come in if we wanted. i just am lost and have no idea how to help him. right now he is curled up in a ball sweating and shaking in bed trying to just keep it together. i can't let him go back to his dealer i feel that will set a bad precedent for his recovery. i honestly can't beleive this is how this works. we go in to get help for a suboxone addiction and their solution is more suboxone but not just yet?!? they said when he does get on them that they will keep him on them for several months!! THIS IS WHAT HE IS TRYING TO GET OFF!! what is wrong with these doctors, no one is listening!!
    anyone know anyway to help the withdrawls, and suggestions what should i do?

thalia45 is offline Member

Well, that's a help, isn't it! I don't know a thing about "subs" but I just wanted to keep your post up there so that people who can help won't miss it.

Best wishes, Thalia

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rubindawg View Post
    my boyfriend is having serious withdrawls from suboxone. he has been taking them for about 3 years and was down to about 6mg a day. he was buying them on the streets and has been out since tuesday. we have him set to start a program on monday night, but i don't know if he can make it that long!! we asked the intake councelor today what to do until then about the withdrawls and she just said don't stop taking them, but wouldn't perscribe them or tell us how to get them until monday night. she almost hinted that he should just go back to his dealer until then!?!?! WTF she gave us the number to a detox place but they said that they can't help him and that we should call the hospital. the hospital said there was no way they would give him suboxone but we could still come in if we wanted. i just am lost and have no idea how to help him. right now he is curled up in a ball sweating and shaking in bed trying to just keep it together. i can't let him go back to his dealer i feel that will set a bad precedent for his recovery. i honestly can't beleive this is how this works. we go in to get help for a suboxone addiction and their solution is more suboxone but not just yet?!? they said when he does get on them that they will keep him on them for several months!! THIS IS WHAT HE IS TRYING TO GET OFF!! what is wrong with these doctors, no one is listening!!
    anyone know anyway to help the withdrawls, and suggestions what should i do?
    i have been on methadone programs, and a sub program, i know for a FACT they will say, if he managed for 3 years to get them off the street, he can find some more till he starts a program. end of story..

if he is that sick, get some more. no reason for him to suffer. let him get some more. jeez
    MP5, iloerose, Sunny mom and 1 others like this.

MP5
    MP5 is offline Member

I agree with Cheeky. Without knowing how long he has been without subs, it is hard to say, but 6mg's is a huge amount to just stop taking ct. I would say do what you have to do to get him a sub or two to make it till Monday. Two 8mg subs would be enough to give him 4mg's a day till monday, and he won't suffer as much. Once he gets his RX for the subs, I would highly recommend he come back here and either ask for advice, or follow Robert325's taper plan to get him stabilized and then taper down to be clean from subs! Here is a link outlining Roberts sub taper. It works amazingly well!

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html

Best of luck,
    Mike
    Robert_325, iloerose and rubindawg like this.

iloerose is online now Platinum Member

Absolutely, if you know where to get the sub, get the SUB. 6mg. is a lot to come off of at once. He's going to be horrendously sick. Follow the advice that Cheeky and Mike gave you above. There is absolutely nothing else you can do to ease his agony until Monday. No one here recommends "just getting" them lightly. Bottom line: he can't come off the subs without the subs. Best bet on Monday is to do what Mike said above.

Peace

Iloerose
    Last edited by iloerose; 06-15-2012 at 05:22 PM.

ok thanks everyone, off to the dealers we go i guess. i just hope this one time emergency situation doesn't make him think i give permission in the future. christ this sucks!!!

Yeah, it pretty much does suck. But sub has a long half-life, you can still hold him to his promise.But honestly, the agony he is/was in isn't going to go away overnight or even over the weekend without. Perhaps experiencing a bit what these drugs do long term will give him a "bit of a think" about taking this as permission.
    Let us know how you make out.

Iloerose.

Older Woman is offline New Member

Your poor boyfriend went from 6mg to nothing and that's just not the way to do it. If he can't get SB anywhere else than from a dealer until Monday, I recommend doing that, otherwise, the suffering is too much. Suboxone withdrawal needs to be VERY SLOW! Taper down to 1mg/day for awhile, then 1/2 mg/day for awhile (like a week or longer). Get him some fast! The medical community is letting him down.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Older Woman View Post
    Your poor boyfriend went from 6mg to nothing and that's just not the way to do it. If he can't get SB anywhere else than from a dealer until Monday, I recommend doing that, otherwise, the suffering is too much. Suboxone withdrawal needs to be VERY SLOW! Taper down to 1mg/day for awhile, then 1/2 mg/day for awhile (like a week or longer). Get him some fast! The medical community is letting him down.
    no, the medical community are going to help him. they have an appt. do people think they click their fingers and wah lah, no worries, heres some subs right now...? no... you have to go thru the process. he got himself into this mess by buying off the street, he can sort himself out with a couple more.
    always cracks me up when people suddenly blame the medical people, after 3 years of self medicating you cant just expect instant script for subs..

rxqueen83 is offline Member

When I first went on methadone they told me just that: Do what you have to do until we can see you Monday. I agree with Cheeky, not the Doc's fault. Please return here and talk to Robert when your boyfriend gets some Subs
    Strong Desire likes this.

so he has enough for 1mg a day till monday. not great but he is not puking! i hope they don't start him on like 6 or 8 mg on monday night

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by rubindawg View Post
    so he has enough for 1mg a day till monday. not great but he is not puking! i hope they don't start him on like 6 or 8 mg on monday night

I've done this a long time. If you can get the script and get out of the office I can re-induct him on a tiny dose I assure you. I've taken people who were on 32mg and re-inducted them at less than 2mg. That is a fact! Tell them what you have to say, just don't take a big fat dose or he'll be off and running again. I can help you if you let me! God bless.
    iloerose and Strong Desire like this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

rubindawg: I read your other thread and how you've gone through so much for this guy. Do follow Robert's advice. Tell them what you need to tell them at your treatment center. If you can get out of there with a script, the better. I'll bet he's still suffering this weekend with the jump to 1mg. Hope he takes this seriously. You are one caring person to do this for him.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Robert_325 and Sunny mom like this.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

rubindawg ....... This could actually be an answer to a prayer in disguise. If you keep that dose down very low it will be lots easier to help him first of the week when he gets a script! God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 06-16-2012 at 05:40 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.