scared my doctor is gonna cut me off! (oxycontin)
    luckybutt is offline New Member

Exclamation scared my doctor is gonna cut me off! (oxycontin)

i have been on percocet for a year, and recently was switched to oxycontin
    all medication has been prescribed by same doctor, last visit, he mentioned drug called Lyrica and suggested that i have Fibromyalgia. I do not want to be taken off the oxycontin can the doctor switch me to the non narcotic Lyrica if i do not want it, i also do not belive i have Fibromylagia, I am in alot of pain, constant pain, and the oxycontin helps me-
    if anything i could use something stronger, now im realy worried that he is going to cut me off the oxycontin or lower the dose. do i have the right to refuse this lyrica stuff- i do not want it, i want to stay on the oxycontin, i have researched it, and it is meant for long term use- and it doesnt totally take away my pain but it helps, and i dont want to change medications- so my question to all of you-
    after a year of 6 perc tens a day, and approx 3 months on oxycontin, can he just cut me off? can he lower my dosage? do i have to find a new doctor- im really worried now- and afraid to take my medication now- i feel like i have to start "hoarding it" in case im cut off
    comments, suggerstions, knowledge=-anyone=- please respond asap (no emails plz, my girlfriend isnt aware that i am taking medication, she is against it, she's into herbs, she is also computor wiz, and can tell what sites ive been on and sometimes gets into my email, so confidentiality is appreciated- please help-any info- also cant i get sick if i just stop taking it- help plz reply

Mike VG is offline Senior Member

Yes, luckybutt, he can (so called) "cut you off. I do believe there are certain procedures for doing this, papers to be signed, etc...The reason a Doctor can do this is because he considers you a patient who refuses to follow his suggestions, instructions, and considers you a hostile (customer, if you will). Doctors have rights too. I think by reading your letter, is that you are pill seeking. If I can see it, well, you know he can. I hope you took no offense, but Doctors take offense when their patient is using them as their dealer. I would proceed with your Doctor's recommendation of starting the Lyrica. Your goal is to get better, not stay high. God's blessings on your insight. And just remember these people (Doctors, Nurses, Psychiatrists) are there to help you get well, not to play games with you. Take Care.
    Mike VG
    Last edited by Mike VG; 11-02-2007 at 04:44 PM.
    Mike VG

ymccormack is offline Member

Luckybutt...a word of caution. Mike is right: you sound like a pill seeker. I would cool it when talking to your doctor...if it isn't too late. Just keep it positive and give the new medication a try. Try not to act anxious or agitated when he brings up the topic of non-narcotic medications...it will make him more cautious.

I only say this because it doesn't sound like you're ready to quit narcotics yet. Trust me, you'll get there eventually.

Hope this helps and please don't be offended...just some advice from someone who's been there.

YM

Junkie781 is offline Member

IF you've been taking percs for a year and Oxycontin for a few months, your doctor should realize that you are going to experience withdrawal symptoms and should be willing to work with you on a plan to taper your use......I think you should be honest with your doctor about your fears.

And yeah, you sound like a pill seeker to me too. I guess it takes one to know one.

jane1987 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by luckybutt View Post
    i have been on percocet for a year, and recently was switched to oxycontin
    all medication has been prescribed by same doctor, last visit, he mentioned drug called Lyrica and suggested that i have Fibromyalgia. I do not want to be taken off the oxycontin can the doctor switch me to the non narcotic Lyrica if i do not want it, i also do not belive i have Fibromylagia, I am in alot of pain, constant pain, and the oxycontin helps me-
    if anything i could use something stronger, now im realy worried that he is going to cut me off the oxycontin or lower the dose. do i have the right to refuse this lyrica stuff- i do not want it, i want to stay on the oxycontin, i have researched it, and it is meant for long term use- and it doesnt totally take away my pain but it helps, and i dont want to change medications- so my question to all of you-
    after a year of 6 perc tens a day, and approx 3 months on oxycontin, can he just cut me off? can he lower my dosage? do i have to find a new doctor- im really worried now- and afraid to take my medication now- i feel like i have to start "hoarding it" in case im cut off
    comments, suggerstions, knowledge=-anyone=- please respond asap (no emails plz, my girlfriend isnt aware that i am taking medication, she is against it, she's into herbs, she is also computor wiz, and can tell what sites ive been on and sometimes gets into my email, so confidentiality is appreciated- please help-any info- also cant i get sick if i just stop taking it- help plz reply
    LUCKY I KNOW ALL THE TRICKS OF THE TRADE SO IF YOU WANT I CAN HELP YOU YOU OUT I JUST NEED TO KNOW A FEW THINGS DONT WORRY I DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR DOCS NAME OR YOURS OR WHERE HE/YOU ARE SO LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT MY HELP JUST ME I CAN GET ANY RX FOR ANYONE-JANE
    EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING,ALL AND ALL WE ARE ;€