Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes
Scared & lonely
    Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by pgcc View Post
    But Robert she said that the place she is going to is a no medication, cold turkey with support type of place. So going by what she said they are going to detox her with nothing. And detoxes do stupid things, I should know I've been to 15 of them. I was deathly ill in one once because they were giving me 15 mgs of valium a day for a 30 mg a day xanax habit. I told the Doctor and he just said its protocol everyone gets the same. Crazy.

I don't have the time or stamina to argue this point anymore!! Do you really think they operate "GOOM BAH YAH" detoxes facing liabilty issues in the US? Get off it dude, it's none of your business where she detoxes anyway! Take care of your own recovery and leave this girl alone! This has gone on long enough! Drop it and worry about yourself. We don't need you okaying everyone's treatment plans on this forum. Enough is freakin enough!!!
    Last edited by Robert_325; 07-12-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    lifewrthlivn and vicky'L like this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

pgcc is offline Member

I don't want to drag this out but I'm hard headed. There are places in NY that would take in someone like this and not medically detox them. I know of one religious program where a friend went where they use prayer and no meds. But I've heard there are others. Calm down Robert, I wasn't trying to start a fight relax. When she said it was a cold turkey detox I just thought it was crazy as you also seem to believe. If she had said it was a medical detox my reaction would have been different.

vicky'L is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by toni.s. View Post
    famous 'word' of many here...

WORD!!
    Word!!! What do you mean??

caughtagain is offline Diamond Member

basically does not equal absolute... Also, my bet it is not in the US as she refers to the pharmacy as Chemist.. Yawn... You need to eazzzz up PG... Offer support, put that ol hard head away for now. Hope for the best for her. Don't worry about outcomes yet... The good news is Vicky is going to be in a controlled environment... That is the Key here..

Quote Originally Posted by pgcc View Post
    I don't want to drag this out but I'm hard headed. There are places in NY that would take in someone like this and not medically detox them. I know of one religious program where a friend went where they use prayer and no meds. But I've heard there are others. Calm down Robert, I wasn't trying to start a fight relax. When she said it was a cold turkey detox I just thought it was crazy as you also seem to believe. If she had said it was a medical detox my reaction would have been different.
    Im not American. I live in England. Things maybe work different over here. I'm not sure. I don't know wot to expect. That's why I posted x

Quote Originally Posted by caughtagain View Post
    basically does not equal absolute... Also, my bet it is not in the US as she refers to the pharmacy as Chemist.. Yawn... You need to eazzzz up PG... Offer support, put that ol hard head away for now. Hope for the best for her. Don't worry about outcomes yet... The good news is Vicky is going to be in a controlled environment... That is the Key here..
    Your right. I'm not American. I live in England. X

Anonymous Guest

Don't feed the trolls.....word.....
    caughtagain likes this.

no problem Vicky.. Read my post above as I thought you might be in the UK... Ha... You are going to make It.. As far as the statement "word", that is a statement kind of like "right on"...

Anonymous Guest

no problem Vicky.. Read my post above as I thought you might be in the UK... Ha... You are going to make It.. As far as the statement "word", that is a statement kind of like "right on"...
    Word...........
    caughtagain likes this.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Vicky .... the drs in the UK don't kill people either! Follow up, get the info you need to make an intelligent, well thought out decision and then we'll talk. Don't go to a rehab and ask patients how to get well. Someone who's been in rehab 15 times obviously is doing something wrong. I'm out of here until you get the info on your proposed program. God bless.
    caughtagain, Sunny mom and surfdog like this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Here is the bottom line. If Vicky goes into a legitimate rehab in the United States to get off methadone, and not some goofy ZEN buddhist cold turkey rehab camp in southeast Asia, they are not going to let her go completely cold turkey off methadone. The drs know based on the toxicity level in her system when they check her in what amount she has in her body. They don't just throw a person in a padded room and slide a food tray once a day in under the door! She will be drug tested and her treatment will be based on those results.

The same is true with the benzos. Someone on a LOT of benzos is not going to made to cold turkey as the drs in the rehab know that would almost undoubtedly cause seizures and possibly death. They won't be admitting Vicky as their first patient.

I have been to the nuthouse twice trying to clean up from every drug known to man. Held a gun to my head before I checked into the first rehab and almost blew myself away. Glad I didn't do it! But those drs were checking my blood pressure every four hours along with my other vitals and medicated me accordingly to get through my detox. Was it fun? NO IT WASN'T!!! But I didn't die. And I was probably the worst junkie in that place at the time. This is what these people do for a living, they don't throw people to the wolves like from an old movie about drugs made in the 1950s.

If anyone here doesn't sugar coat anything it's me. If a person is going to detox cold turkey off methadone on the street I would always suggest subs first. I agree a cold turkey off methadone on the streets is tough to pull off. I would say the same about fentanyl. But is she is checking herself into a hospital to be medically detoxed she is NOT going to be allowed to go through what ppgcis talking about. That is a fact.

Vicky is committing herself to a medical detox and they are not going to throw her out on the streets puking and in a state of hysteria after a week. This is 2012 for goodness sake! Drs know better than to allow a methadone addict also taking benzos to go totally cold turkey! So comparing a medically supervised detox is a totally different scenario than comparing it to a methadone addict laying in a jail cell in prison to deal with it the best way they can. That doesn't happen in a hospital.

This total conversation is totally ridiculous! I give Vicky credit if she is committed enough to admit herself into a hospital to be medically detoxed. They aren't going to let her die and it won't take six months to detox her. She will undoubtedly need outpatient programs when she is released but I am all for her. Need to leave medical detoxes to the people who are trained how to do them. If you are going to detox on the street, come see me. But that is why I have a disclaimer that for matters of serious concern one should seek professional care. Lots of people need to be in a controlled environment to be detoxed successfully. That is nothing to be ashamed of or a weakness nor is it sugar coating anything to tell her that she can do this with the proper medical supervision.

And for what it's worth God does work in rehabs too! An individual might not want His help but He can do all things including helping a methadone addict get clean. People need to have some clean time and not just bad experiences before they start telling others what they "can or can't do" based on the experience of someone who isn't clean yet.

Vicky .... you will be in my prayers and let me know if there is anything I can do to help. God bless.
    Thank you. This is the best advice I think I've had. Some people have freaked me out. Although I am grateful for every1s knowledge, concern & support. Your post as calmed me down. I need to get a grip. I'm not going in for roughly 6/7 wks. I wish it was sooner, I think my fear is of the unknown. Thank you once again. Hope every thing is getting easier for you. I'm so pleased I found this site and people like you x
    lifewrthlivn and surfdog like this.

Strong Desire is offline Advanced Member

Vicky .... the drs in the UK don't kill people either! Follow up, get the info you need to make an intelligent, well thought out decision and then we'll talk. Don't go to a rehab and ask patients how to get well. Someone who's been in rehab 15 times obviously is doing something wrong. I'm out of here until you get the info on your proposed program. God bless.
    Vicky,

We welcome EVERYONE here regardless of their living environment! So a great big WELCOME to the girl in England! Happy to have you with us! Just get yourself on track and do what you need to do and keep us informed when you can do so. We just really care about you girl! Happy to have a new friend!

I wish you the absolute best in your detox! You will do very well because you WANT IT so bad! That's what really matters! I did too and now I'm almost clean! You will be to real soon if you stay committed to the task at hand.....and I know you will. So take care Vicky and post as often as time allows. Use this thread as your journal to look back on to see how far you've come. That will help you so much! Talk to you again real soon.

Big Hugs,
    Karen

I'm sure the doctors in the uk don't kill people!! I didn't really know we're to look for the information I needed, that's why I posted on here. The decision was only made last week that they would agree to send me to rehab. That's it. I was told nothing more apart from it will take upto 6/8 wks before I'm admitted. I'm back at the drug centre on Monday, we're I will know a lot more about what to expect. It's just been playing on my mind, I've never been in a rehab and just wanted some knowledge of what I should expect.
    caughtagain likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Desire View Post
    Vicky,

We welcome EVERYONE here regardless of their living environment! So a great big WELCOME to the girl in England! Happy to have you with us! Just get yourself on track and do what you need to do and keep us informed when you can do so. We just really care about you girl! Happy to have a new friend!

I wish you the absolute best in your detox! You will do very well because you WANT IT so bad! That's what really matters! I did too and now I'm almost clean! You will be to real soon if you stay committed to the task at hand.....and I know you will. So take care Vicky and post as often as time allows. Use this thread as your journal to look back on to see how far you've come. That will help you so much! Talk to you again real soon.

Big Hugs,
    Karen
    Thank you, you sound really positive. Xx

So word means like, nice one!! Or along them tracks. Thanks for your support, it's nice to av. Although I feel some people on ere need to chill out. Xx
    caughtagain and surfdog like this.

WORD...........HaHa (yes it means nice).. Welcome to our family... and yes PGCC needs to chill out HaHa.. Please keep us posted on your progress.. Where in the UK.. I was in London for a week a while ago.. (honeymoon)... Loved it, was my first time
    lifewrthlivn likes this.

toni.s. is offline Senior Member

lol..yes..where in england? i lived in wales for 10 years..
    i'm off to work..but hope to see u told us when i get bk..

lifewrthlivn is offline Member

Congrats on your decision to get clean! Sounds like you are very fortunate to have an opportunity to do so in what is in my opinion the best, safest environment to do so! (I am however sorry you have a bit of a wait ahead of you!)
    If I may I'd like to make a sugg? Be careful what you read on the internet!! We are in such a vulnerable position when we realize it is time 2 get clean...or die & it is only natural to seek an easier softer way, and be scared when we hear horror stories and can get all worked up expecting the worst...and unfort this can lead ppl not to seek the care they need. When I came here I had a lot of trust issues to say the least-not of whackadoos still in active addiction posting horror stories on the internet-but of very educated, highly respected "dr's" w/ many credentials proclaiming to be knowledgable experts in the field of addiction. So to trust some stranger on the internet...well it didn't happen quickly or w/o hrs and hrs of personal research-reading post after post seeing quanifiable results time and time again. I would sugg you are very fortunate to have found this resource (as opposed to the many others out there) and I wld like 2 share what worked here for me-i started by reading Mr Roberts posts only, frm that I was able to gain insight which other members here were 1s I shld b reading-you r very blessed to have one of, if not the MOST, knowledgable, experienced, individuals w/ a true heart 4 fellow addicts, whom I have seen time and time again b used as an instrument to carry the Lords will and work, use his valuable time here 2 share his experience, strenght, and hope-as well as his insight, and wisdom w/ you. If you choose to listen to that advice and that of the others here w/ good clean time under their belts then you have found an invaluable resource! (I mean no disrespect nor to be disparaging to anyone yet taking advice/listening to the experience of some1 in active addiction re what DIDN'T wrk give opinions re the best way for YOU 2 get clean is akin 2 taking dieting advice from an obese person?!?) Just my opinion, yet hate 2 see some1 who has an opp 2 learn much and be guided in the rt direction b misled by anyone even if their heart and intentions are coming frm a good place-which I trust they are.
    My 2 cents re an ipt detox? You have an opp so few are lucky enough to have. Imho any1 who has such an opp shld take full advantage of it! Whn I orig detoxed and got clean it was off an astronomically high dose of the most powerful opoids avail @ the time. I had tried sooo many times to ct and taper @ hm (both on my own and under the care of a prescribing physician-knew nada about "subs" & 4 me am vry glad didn't)and TRY as I may left 2 my own resources & "willpower" alone, where a simple ph call would result in a trip 2 obtain that little pc of ppr and run bk 2 the pharmacy-i would've done it every time! I was what I now know to be vry fort 2 b in a facility thousands of miles away w/ professionalks who had 4 yrs and cnt to- detox addicts off any number of substances w/ diff medical conditions and using historys. As Mr R indicated there was no magic pill or tx that alieviated wd symptoms, but every client was monitored very closely and physical/dangerous symptoms treated appropriately. Ea 1 was diff as ea person is diff-yet the end result was the same- ea 1 regardless of their prev use left clean and able 2 pursue the resources nec 2 stay clean!! I saw sev women who had used methadone-some 4 many yrs and some 4 chronic pain issues which complicated their detox and while I won't lie and say it was a party nor will I go in to detail of their struggle bc that is not what is to be focused upon and imo serves no purpose-you will know what your personal journey is/was as you experience it-if you keep your focus on your goal-getting and staying clean! Those that completed tx ALL left completely abstinent and wd free! Sev are still clean (unfort some rtnd imm, some after sev yrs clean yet hopefully a seed was planted and they live long enough to get bk n recovery. What I've personally learned was after you experience even a bit of clean time and see others enjoying many yrs of sobriety and how that looks and feels...if nothing else it 4ever ruins abso any joy you had remaining in using-it ruins it bc you see it 4 what it is and know the joys of the only alternative) Anyway that is just my own personal exp and opinion. You have an opp that imo any1 who has that is soooo very lucky to have and shld most def take advantage of!!! I understand you're across the pond but assure you the protocal doesn't diff much and re of the exact details if you commit to see it through to the end, and are willing to go to any lengths to get it you will get clean-where you go frm there is up to you. Thx 4 sharing and pls be cautious and cnt 2 read around here...stick w/ the winners and you have much to gain...and give! God Speed in your journey!!

surfdog is offline Senior Member

Vicky dropped off here for a while saw where this was going. What you can expect is medical supervision, support, guidance, and education about the disease. Detox is in your best interest and clinics and hospitals depend on quality of care relayed by ex-pts to others. If they do a bad job they don't stay in buisness. From my understanding the UK is very much like the US. They are not sadistic and revel in another's misery. Get the details, make your decision.

The most important part you already have the most important requirement which is "want to" without the desire to be clean, which is there, effort is fruitless. No Dr is going to ct you off of meth. Medically it makes no sense whatsoever. Try to stay into today, projecting will just increase your fear. May have been different substances but we have been where you are and we are here for you. I feel confident that you will do well. Hang tight Dog
    lifewrthlivn and vicky'L like this.

Anonymous Guest

I have been reading posts on this site since last night when I stumbled upon in on my phone. After reading all night last night and for the better part of today, I decided to make an account and try to start my own thread and tell my story, so that hopefully I can get some help and words of encouragement..However I don't really know my way around as of yet and I'm not really sure how to do this on here...If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it!!!!

Anonymous Guest

first off. the girl is from HULL, IN ENGLAND. and the nhs. means national health service... if people read the actual post they would see this.... so its not a facility in the usa.

second, i was worried too. ive come off methadone. obviously this nhs facility feels up to this job...

VICKY. ive got off methadone twice now. first time was cold turkey in another country. it sucked totally. but i was out on my own. i took a lot of codeine to get thru. but i did make it. it does last a long time tho.
    second time i used subs. so yes pgcc i do know what im talking about...

VICKY what dose are you on. ? that is the big question..

anyway all the best.
    vicky'L likes this.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vicky'L View Post
    Im not American. I live in England. Things maybe work different over here. I'm not sure. I don't know wot to expect. That's why I posted x

hi vicky. im glad you cleared this up, as most people on this site think its all about america. and there are a few of us in other places. hi. ive been hooked on methadone for years. im off now. its possible. hi from new zealand. (spent a lot of time in scotland tho)

stay positive. what is your dose ? learn as much as you can on what they are possibly going to do to support you... hope it all goes well.

kiwi

Anonymous Guest

hey vicky. seeing as you have 6 or 7 weeks to go. i know you said they wont reduce your dose, but wow, that would be so much to your benefit if you can. you still havent said what dose you are on. i know a lot about methadone, last 15 or so years in fact. on and off a few times. and subs to get off that.

im just concerned too. it would be so awesome if you were able to get your dose down. do you have to drink in front of chemist everyday.? or can you get takeaways. ? are you able to taper your dose down on your own.?

but let us know what your dose is right now. that makes a huge difference to your possible outcomes thru this journey. but yeh, ITS SOOOO POSSIBLE TO GET AND STAY OFF METHADONE. dont listen to the knockers who have had over 15 tries at it and still trying... hah.

GOOD LUCK POMMY. this kiwi is cheering for ya anyways... olympics soon eh. that be a good distraction ay...

pgh491 is offline Member

Hi Vicky,
    Just wondering how you are...hope well. Did you learn anything today? Why do you have to wait 6 or7 weeks?
    anyway, just thinking about you.

Quote Originally Posted by TryingToGetItRight View Post
    I have been reading posts on this site since last night when I stumbled upon in on my phone. After reading all night last night and for the better part of today, I decided to make an account and try to start my own thread and tell my story, so that hopefully I can get some help and words of encouragement..However I don't really know my way around as of yet and I'm not really sure how to do this on here...If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it!!!!
    Vicky,

I'm just like the others and checking on you today. How are you doing girl? If you can will you please take a minute and let us know how you're doing? I know that you're waiting until it's time for your facility visit, but you should continue to post and keep everyone informed as much as possible.

You can also use this thread of yours as a journal like many including me do to keep your thoughts and progress in one place here. Then you can look back anytime and see how far you've come. It really does help! So give us a minute of your time if you can please.

Hope you are doing good! And Cheeky as always had a very good suggestion about maybe reducing your dose if you are able. That would be ideal if you could do that! Take care and have a great day!

Hugs,
    Karen

Trying To Get It Right.....I would be happy to help you start your own thread if needed. Let me know if you need my help by posting here again and I'll do what I can to get you going on your own! Have anice day!
    Karen

Vicky just wondering how you are doing Dog

WORD...........HaHa (yes it means nice).. Welcome to our family... and yes PGCC needs to chill out HaHa.. Please keep us posted on your progress.. Where in the UK.. I was in London for a week a while ago.. (honeymoon)... Loved it, was my first time
    Hi. Yes I love London too, although I would absolutely buzz to come to the u.s. I'm in hull (Yorkshire ) about 4hrs on train away from London. I've, got a little bit more info on what I may experience, I've now had to start going to support groups twice a week, this is with other addicts, some who have been to rehab, actually I now know its detox, I was told I will be an impatient for around 14days, but was told by other addicts coz I'm on benzos too, it will probably 28days, I think I get weened off benzos first then the methadone, I'm my opinion I should of never been put on methadone in first place. I think because I wasn't the 'normal' type of addict, I really just put on methadone & diazepam because they didn't really know what else to do with me. Everyone else in support group had or has >>>>>> problem. I don't understand why detox off all the tablets I was taking wasn't my first option instead of putting me on methadone which is a lot harder to get off, anyway what's done is done, I can't change that so no point moaning about it. When I ask at support groups what really happens at detox, I get told I'm prob best off not knowing. I've asked about subutex and suboxone, but there's a few people in group going into detox to get off subs. I've never really known a lot about drugs, that's why I posted on here, I happened to become an addict without really realising until I was in to deep. Thanks for your advice & support, and for the replies you've put to certain people who get abut hyped up.. Hope all is going well for you, and you're on the road to better & brighter things X
    Strong Desire likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by toni.s. View Post
    lol..yes..where in england? i lived in wales for 10 years..
    i'm off to work..but hope to see u told us when i get bk..
    Hi tony, I live in hull which is in Yorkshire, hope your doing well

Vicky, relax about the detox others tend to exploit their experiences. You will be under medical supervision and 28 days is great. Keep the attitude you have and you will do well. Remember this is for you and only you and you have no idea at the good things that come from getting clean. And yes some do need to chill lol hang in there you will do well Dog
    Strong Desire likes this.

Hi Vicky,

Thank you so much for the update. Now you have lots of information so that should put you more at ease. Don't let people frighten you about detox. You will do very well there I'm sure. Those support groups sound like just what you may be needing to help in your recovery efforts. Glad you're going to them.

I did use the subs myself for a 7 year addiction to mostly narcotics, but I did use most every drug out there when it was available to me. I've finished my sub taper successfully and now clean for 2 weeks. You can do it too girl. You certainly don't have to use the subs. They will let you know in detox how it's going to go for YOUR individual situation.

Thanks again for the update Vicky and I want to wish you the very best with what you have in store for you. You really want it bad enough and that's the part that makes all the difference. If you "want it" bad enough, then you CAN do it and get yourself clean. Take care of yourself and please continue to update us when you get the time. Have a great day and bless you girl.

Lotsa Love,
    Karen
    Last edited by Strong Desire; 07-29-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast