Like Tree1Likes
Robert what do you think about someone coming off 80 mgs of meth to suboxone
    pgcc is offline Member

Default Robert what do you think about someone coming off 80 mgs of meth to suboxone

I didn't get any responses to my first post so I directed this straight to the man on here I trust the most. I know a woman who was on my methadone clinic, on 80 mgs. She didn't go to the clinic for 4 days, got very ill. On the fourth day she took a 8mg suboxone strip and she was fine. The suboxone got rid of the w/d and three days later she is still on the suboxone and does not plan on returning to methadone. Now, I saw this happen first hand so I know its a true story, I know what her dose was, [I] saw her go from sick as a dog in bed to talking on the phone, cleaning the house, ect. in the 30 min or so after taking the suboxone strip. I was amazed as I was telling her it wouldn't work. Needless to say I am very confused by this. I have done so much research on this and everything I've read says she should have gotten worse if anyhing. What do you think the story is behind this? Is the fact that she was very ill enough to allow the suboxone to work? I am asking this because I am on 45mgs and wanting to switch and have to switch soon. I am ready to just make the switch at 45 as my clinic will not bring me down until the middle of july because they said I gave them a barbitute urine, I don't even know where to get barbituates and have never taken one, I'm young the whole secanol thing is way before my time, never even seen one. Problem is I can't wait, thought about having them administrativly detox me and when I hit a certain dose make the switch but that is 10mgs every 3 days, seems too fast. After witnessing what I have I feel I should just stop the 45 mgs wait 3-4 days and take the suboxone. I was told that at 45 it shouldn't matter as long as I'm sick when I switch. Robert, can you make heads or tails of this? I'm not a crack pot making up a story I was amazed this worked for her but it went against everything I've been researching for the last few months and threw everything I thought I knew up in the air. What do you think? Appreciate any responses at all as I am way confused.

MetalDuckMFC is offline Senior Member

I am not as knowledgeable as Robert, but I do know that is isn't a good idea. I don't know how your friend was able to do this, and it would be EXTREMELY rare. But, anything is possible, and there ads many things that factor into it. Such as the daily amount, how ling you've been taking it, eight, height, age, metabolism. What that means is that EVERYONE is different. Just because one person got away with it, doesn't mean that you will.

Clearly, you know that you SHOULD get to a lower dose, and then wait for a few days to switch. But nobody could answer your question with complete certainty. All we can do is give you advice to the best of our knowledge. Before you make any decisions, I would wait for Robert to swing by. And he will. It is Sunday, and he has a lot of church functions to attend, but he wi be on here later today.

Also, about testig dirty for barbs, I know that hydrocodone can give you results for barbs. I tested dirty for them with an employer while I was on Vicodin, but they did the research, and saw that it was probably the hydro. Did you take any hydrocodone? Obviously, you shouldn't have been taking that, either, but it could answer your question.

pgcc is offline Member

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I was surprised this worked for her, I know I'm a lot closer to the 30 thinking about making the switch and see if it works at 45. No I didn't take any vicodin either, thier lab is screwed up, told me once I had no meth in my urine when I drink it every day. Its just frustrating because I need to switch now, I have been offered a full scholorship to a ne law school but would need to be off the meth to go. In order to go I really need to make the switch very soon, not to mention that I am so sick of the methadone. I know your not an expert and any advice you would give is just what you think but what about switching from 45 mgs? Just wondering.

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

I've seen several people switch to sub from high doses. The 30 mg. is just a guideline because meth is so strong and it's the hardest thing to switch from in general but the fact that she'd gone 4 days with nothing and was in full blown withdrawal definitely helped in switching. There is no hard and fast rule saying you can't switch from a higher dose. It is just suggested to give a person more chance of a successful switch. The only truly hard and fast rule is WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE IN TOTAL WITHDRAWL which usually takes about 72 hours with methadone. Use a COWS worksheet to be certain. If I were you, I'd go for the detox, let them drop you to 35 then stop for the 3 or so days....

pgcc is offline Member

Thanks, I have to try I probably am going to do what you said. I am tired of meth stopping my life dead. Maybe its more important to be in full w/d then the dose you are on. I thought she would be sick but it got her well.

Anonymous Guest

defintately THE MOST IMPORTANT thing when switching, is to be in full withdrawl.... thats why your friend was able to switch, by going 4 full days, she woulda been rattling, and her receptors would be gettin empty, and the subs woulda filled them up....

oh and i read your other post. subs can also be a nightmare if you dont taper off them in a reasonable time...

i switched, and got clean using subs, after methadone, so yes its possible.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-03-2012 at 08:11 PM.