Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By MP5
  • 2 Post By MP5
Recently started suboxone program. Dose adjustment question.
    Wesfree315 is offline New Member

Default Recently started suboxone program. Dose adjustment question.

I usually wake up first thing in the morning, take my 1 8mg suboxone. Now I know that suboxone has a 36 hour half life or something like that. My question is that by the end of they day, usually around 4pm or 5pm I start feeling like ????. My legs start to cramp I get cold chills etc.. It's like the beginning signs of W/D. I feel like I should be taking more Suboxone. If I were to ask my Dr. to increase my dose, would that be wise? Is there anything else I could do to help with the symptoms I'm getting later in the day? Any replies are appreciated. I prefer only educated responses as I am pretty educated myself in the opiate field. I have been using for the better part of my life. Thanks.

MP5
    MP5 is offline Member

Welcome to the forum Wes,

First, some questions before we go ahead. How long have you been taking suboxone, and at what doses? What was your DOC before sub(if you don't mind sharing)? What is your goal with taking suboxone? do you want to get completely clean, or are you just using it as a way to "take a break" from opiates?

If you want to get totally clean, and are using subs to help you do this....Well, then you have found the right place! I do believe that 8mg's is more than anyone needs to be taking if they were inducted properly. That is where the "how long have you been taking subs" comes into play. Have you tried taking 4mg's in the Am, and then 4mg's in the late afternoon? I believe that would fix your discomfort, and keep you at your 8 mg's per day. And without knowing the whole story, I would still guess that you could take less than that twice a day and still feel fine.

So...With that said, Please tell us a little more about your history so we re able to give you more educated advice.

A little about me. I was a long time opiate abuser that ended in a nasty IV >>>>>> addiction. I got on subs December 2011 and used Roberts taper to get me clean. Been clean and sober since Feb, 2012.

Here is a link to Roberts Taper that will be very helpful if you intend to get completely clean, and off all opiates, so you can really start enjoying life.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html

Mike

Well, I have been using >>>>>> for the last 3 years, before that it was any opiate I could get my hands on. I developed a pretty nasty tolerance. I was using Suboxone from one shot to the next to keep me from going sick in between. I was using an 8MG once a day until the end of the night to hold me over. So I think overtime the Suboxone lost it's effectiveness with me because I wasn't using it the way it was meant to be used. Now I have been under a Dr's care on Suboxone for a week. I have been taking it all together for a year without a DR.

And I'm doing it now to see where I go with it, I don't know if this is what's going to work for me specifically, Everyone has different mindsets etc.. I just don't know if this is the right thing for me to use to come off >>>>>>. I feel like I always hear that 16mg of suboxone is plenty or 16mg is to much, I think it really depends on the person, I myself would like to be on a higher dose of Suboxone if I am going to come clean forever off this program. If not then I don't think it's going to work as I am so use to doing an 8mg dose of suboxone and getting high by the end of the night. That's just me though.

MP5
    MP5 is offline Member

Hey Wesfree, Well, If you don't think subs are going to work, then they are never ever going to work for ya. I can tell you that if used properly, subs can be a great tool to help you get clean. But they are only that, a tool, you still have to really, really want to get clean and do all the work that is involved. The subs just make dealing with the w's and cravings a bit easier during the process. You still have to really want to get clean, and do all the work. If you are going to just see where you go with it....well then, I could save you some time and tell you what is going to happen(but I don't think that is what you want to hear). It seems to me you would like someone to tell you you should be on a higher dose. I don't think you do. Although I do believe that your body has become used to the suboxone in the morning, and then more "something" at night. I think that if you split your dose and take some, or most in the morning and then the rest in the late afternoon, you will be all good. It may take a few days for your body to get back on track, but it will happen if you stick with the suboxone and don't use at all. Please be very careful though, especially if you start taking subs in the afternoon/evening, as it is much, much easier to overdose on dope while on suboxone. The subs block your receptors so you will have a hard time feeling the high, but you can still easily die. Please think about that.

Mike
    winged eagle and whatsinaname like this.

Yeah I mean it would be nice to be on a higher dose because when I was using, I was taking that 8mg a day so it just still feels like it's a crutch, Like I'm waiting to get a bundle at the end of the night, I mean yeah I would rather be addicted to suboxone then dope, At least you're knowing what you're getting. I do know that it's easy to overdose on dope when you have suboxone in your system. I have been doing it for a while. I have an extremely high tolerance. The main reason for me to stop using right now, Many people around the area I live in have been getting bad ????, people have been kicking the bucket from one bag, I'm talking people who are using bundles a day. I don't want that to be me. I do enjoy my life, Most of the time I would prefer to be high but everyone has to grow up sometime. IDK I just feel like I should be trying other options other then Suboxone to get clean. Like maybe Methadone or somemthing else. I don't know I just feel like I have abused it and that I won't ever feel completely satisfied or like I wouldn't like to use with this program. It might just be me but I'm I'm still trying, I lost my father to a >>>>>> overdose when I was 13. I also would not like that to be me.

whatsinaname is offline Platinum Member

Hey Wes,

Welcome to the forum. I agree with MP5 that you really shouldn't need more than 8mg of sub. I also agree sub isnt going to work unless you REALLY want it too. It doesn't sound like you are there yet. Getting clean takes a lot of work. It sounds like you may be using the sub to get by. Thats not really what its intended for. You can go the methadone route, but you are really just staying in the same prison of addiction. It all comes down to YOU!!! What are you trying to accomplish?

Also keep in mind the ceiling effect of subs. Taking more does not always equate to feeling better...... Less really is more with subs.

Best of luck to you. When/if you decide to get clean there are great people here who can guide you through that process.