Results 1 to 13 of 13
Quitting Xanax....help!!!!!
  1. #1
    jnell is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    49

    Default Quitting Xanax....help!!!!!

    I'm in my third day of detoxing from 4 mgs a day to 1.5 mgs a day. My therapist wants me to stop within the next week. I've been taking Xanax for 6 months. I want my life back! I'm shakey, jittery, aggitated, can't sleep, pacing and panicky. I think I'm getting off too quickly...does anybody have any suggestions? (I can hardly type this.)

    Janell

  2. #2
    thisperson is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    22

    Default

    I've just started taking Xanax for sleep deprivation and extreme paranoia. It seems that 2MG is not enough for me. If I were to go higher and continue this "treatment", do you think I could be in the same situation as you are?

  3. #3
    jnell is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    49

    Default

    I think it depends on how long you take it. Two mgs sounds high but if you take it for a short time I think you'll be okay. The thougth of ever taking this drug again makes me cringe because it's hell getting off! The side affects when you decide to quit may not be as bad as mine but if you take it for long be prepared! It screws with your nervous system and brain chemistry. Hope this helps!

  4. #4
    thisperson is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    22

    Default

    I only feel like this certain times of the year and it's hard to cope with. I will only get this way during the spring and summer months which is terrible because you're supposed to live those months up in the sun. I haven't been able to do that for so long. If you read my other post at http://www.drugs.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_>>=13471 it might give you a better idea of what I go though.

  5. #5
    jnell is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    49

    Default

    quote:Originally posted by thisperson

    I only feel like this certain times of the year and it's hard to cope with. I will only get this way during the spring and summer months which is terrible because you're supposed to live those months up in the sun. I haven't been able to do that for so long. If you read my other post at http://www.drugs.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_>>=13471 it might give you a better idea of what I go though.

  6. #6
    jnell is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Okay...I'll check out your posts...thanks for replying!

  7. #7
    sfc420 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    USA.
    Posts
    91

    Default

    I was addicted to xanax for a long time to the poin tthat i was taking 8 and 9 milligrams a day. My suggestion would be too ease yourself off of the xanax with a less strong benzodiazepine like a low dosage .5 mgs of ativan or kolonopin, because xanax withdrawal is very harsh.

  8. #8
    JCV
    JCV is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I've been taking 1mg of xanax for about 4 years, i want to quit. I have some tranxene 3.75mgs pills, will these help me quit those damn pills? I just stopped taking the night .50mgs dose.

  9. #9
    spotter11 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by jnell View Post
    I'm in my third day of detoxing from 4 mgs a day to 1.5 mgs a day. My therapist wants me to stop within the next week. I've been taking Xanax for 6 months. I want my life back! I'm shakey, jittery, aggitated, can't sleep, pacing and panicky. I think I'm getting off too quickly...does anybody have any suggestions? (I can hardly type this.)

    Janell
    I've been taking 12mg's of xanax for the last 3 years and cannot get off it, I'm in a big dilemna, my connection went to jail and I don't know what to do. I cant see straight and extremely uncomfortable. As far as asuggestions, we need to stop. have bad dreams everynight since my mom passed in may 2008, I cant take anymore, top it off, recently laid off, someone help both of us

  10. #10
    Anonymous Guest

    Default

    Hi Spotter11
    Detoxing from Zanax cad be dangerous. If i were you i would see a doctor to taper down very slowly and check out this web site benzo.org.uk it will help you understand what is going on with you.
    Keep posting and let us know how you are,Melinda

  11. #11
    musicman48 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Usually on the road or in the studio.
    Posts
    812

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by spotter11 View Post
    I've been taking 12mg's of xanax for the last 3 years and cannot get off it, I'm in a big dilemna, my connection went to jail and I don't know what to do. I cant see straight and extremely uncomfortable. As far as asuggestions, we need to stop. have bad dreams everynight since my mom passed in may 2008, I cant take anymore, top it off, recently laid off, someone help both of us
    Melinda is right.Not to scare you but Benzo withdrawal can cause seizures and much worse...It can be fatal..At your daily dosage you must taper very slowly or better yet seek medical supervision immediately.If you suddenly stop cold turkey there could be serious life threatening issues for you.Please get help right away if you can not VERY slowly taper off...You will have some issues for awhile after detoxing...Just ask Robert_325...He has been there...Keep watching this thread and he will give you the best advice.This is a very serious situation for you if your connection is going to be in jail for a while.
    Last edited by musicman48; 10-31-2008 at 11:48 PM.

  12. #12
    jojoacorn123 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I have been on ativan for nearly 10 years at a 5mg/day dose and there have been times when I've needed some and been out of pills a little early. Those moments are terrible and I don't wish them on anyone.

    I don't know the degree of strength difference between Ativan/Lorazepam and Xanax but it really seems as though 1 week is a much too aggressive time frame for you to come off. If you have the pills then taper slowly over a few weeks or more.

    If you don't have the pills then I would go to the ER. As someone mentioned already, you run the risk of siezures and worse if you just stop.

    Good luck and keep us posted Janelle.

    Joe

  13. #13
    Robert_325 is offline Retired
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    16,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spotter11 View Post
    I've been taking 12mg's of xanax for the last 3 years and cannot get off it, I'm in a big dilemna, my connection went to jail and I don't know what to do. I cant see straight and extremely uncomfortable. As far as asuggestions, we need to stop. have bad dreams everynight since my mom passed in may 2008, I cant take anymore, top it off, recently laid off, someone help both of us




    Melinda and Musicman are correct about benzo detox. I went through seizures, electric shock syndrome, all kinds of things. Was taking 15-20mg of xanax and 6-8mg of klonopin daily. It can be very dangerous. It almost killed me. I've been out of town this weekend or would have replied sooner. So tell me where you are with this right now. We can help you get through this. Talk to me please. God bless.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22