Question about Dr. checking your prescription background
    UNEEK1 is offline Member

Default Question about Dr. checking your prescription background

Ok, This is going to be kind of hard to word all of this correctly but I will give it a shot. I am so baffled by this that it makes me wonder what has happened with Dr.'s and prescribing pain meds. My best friends mother n law has horrible back and shoulder(maybe neck)pain. She had been taking hydrocodone 5/500 for quite a while then had surgery and did not need to take pain medication anymore but she was dependent on them so Dr. put her on Suboxone. She then weened herself off of them after about 2yrs. Now, recently she is having some back pain and went to a dr she had seen before the surgery(not the one that put her on suboxone) so she could get some pain medication to get her through this painful time. Well, he refused to prescribe her any narcotics because he knew she had been to a pain management dr and was prescribed Suboxone. So he then suggested that if she was in pain, to go the Dr. that prescribed her the Suboxone because he felt uncomfortable prescribing her narcotics when he new that she had gotten suboxone from another dr. Ok, my question is how in the hell did he know she had been prescribed suboxone previously? I mean this Dr. is not even the Dr. that referred her to a surgeon. How can a Dr. find this information out? I thought this was private information? Now, I am not sure positively if there was a time that she was Dr. shopping but I do know she did see a lot of Dr.'s before she was finally referred to a surgeon. I just don't get it because she said her Dr.'s are no way connected and she said she even used a different pharmacy for the suboxone. I am confused?! What, do they have a big database that they just put your name and d.o.b in and it pops up everything you have been prescribed? But yet I know of people that go to the Dr. monthly and get massive amounts of hydrocodone and they sell some and keep some for themselves. I don't get it? One thing for sure, I am glad I am past the Dr.'s and pills 8-) But if anyone knows anything about this, please share with me, because I think it would be good to know...
    "Do one thing everyday that makes you happy!"

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Hi UNEEK1 .... I've been looking for you to come back for the last few months. Hope you are you doing well yourself.

Some information can become part of a file called the MIB (Medical Information Bureau). I have checked MIB reports myself in the past on people in the business I was in. You would be surprised what all information is available if you have legal access. I doubt they would have contacted this person's dr though. That dr would have had to make a request for information like that. And the patient likely signed something even if unknowingly giving access for medical information to that dr.

Stay in touch. Let us know what's up. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

UNEEK1 is offline Member

Hi Robert, it has been a while...I am doing good, how about you? I just talked to my friend and she said her mother n law is wonering if her insurance notified this Dr. because she said they are the only ones other than the Dr and Pharmacy that would know this. Is this possible? Do they (insurance co.) do this? I thought maybe it could be possible if the ins. co. suspects Dr. shopping. I don't know what else to tell her because she is freaking out thinking she is going to get arrested. I don't think it will escalate to that.

UNEEK .... I read on the other thread where you were done with the subs. Had to congratulate you! That's great. It will get better with a little time.

Insurance companies are the primary source of info for the MIB if that is where this information is coming from. I wouldn't think anything would get to the police unless things were really bad and totally out of control. Someone would have to turn her in. We don't live in a police state YET where police can get into our medical records without cause and a court order. We sign medical information releases though all the time if we are receiving medical care. Hope that helps. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

cherry14 is offline Member

I don't see how it's a situation that could possibly involve police at this point; she's not doing anything illegal?

My guess would be that it would have something to do with her insurance company. Before I got in to pain management, my ins co watched me closely, as my GYN gave me frequent scripts short term for narcotics (I have a chronic, painful condition, hence the eventual pain management referral). I wasn't on them 24/7 back then, and also had to see an ortho and had shoulder surgery, so had meds for that, etc. I had a regular appt with my GYN who informed me that he had gotten a letter (or that it was in my record) from my ins co, detailing the scripts I'd filled, and who had written them. He told me that he wanted to let me know, but that it didn't bother him (he said, "I know about it, I'm prescribing them!" with a laugh).

To me, it seemed kind of foolish...all of these docs were in the same practice, so my scripts were already part of my medical record. Had I been trying to do anything under the table, I would have used different pharmacies, not gone through my insurance, whatever........KWIM? The scripts all came from docs within the same practice, filled at the same pharmacy, and filed with my insurance. (duh, right?) In fact, I did that INTENTIONALLY so that nothing would seem not on-the-level! So, long story short........that would be my best guess?

UserReady is offline Member

Default HI, my 2 cents on this subject.

I am new here. but I am reading this thread.

I work in a clinic, (ER). & once in awhile a Doc will tell me..."go get the DEA form to fill out on this patient."

This particular form is filled out on the patient and sent to the Drug Enforcement Agency, which then becomes an avenue to start tracing the patient.!

They do a check at every Pharmacy..looking for ALL NARCOTICS..
    For every Doctor that prescribed a narcotic to that patient, they then receive a letter. Basically stating'' You are being informed of the following information due to High & Irregular Use of Narcotics.
    Please take special note that this pt. is using narcotics by ALL doctors Listed...

Then the list begins;
    dr..----- 30 pills filled on ----
    dr.------60 pills filled on -----

also if the Doc your mother-in-law is seeing filled out who her Primary Doc is or surgeon or anyone, he then will have the nurse call--hence getting all the necessary info he needs..over the phone.

You said she was never seen there b4--that part is kind of strange..don't quite get that, but do know this. Once someone goes thru Sub tx..no doc is ever going to put her back on any narcotics again.

this I totally agree with.

It really is against the Rules and Regulations ..to undo what a dr. fixed...hence"sub tx.!

bottom line is she is being "watched" by the Medical community.
    Imagine this: the doc gives her narcotics.
    the sub doc finds out
    he then calls that doc, and says "what the hell are you doing?" I just went thru sub tx with this pt.!!"

hope this helps...as far as HIPPA goes, its ALL LEGAL.

Bobbi1969 is offline Junior Member

Default Hmm

I dont agree with a pt not ever being able to receive narcotics again. I would imgine there would/could be a legit reason for needing pain relief at some point in their life time. It seems to me that it would need to be looked at on an individual basis. To say 'oh no youve been thru sub tx, cant give you anything ; merely backs up the sterotyping of addiction.\
    (steps down off the soapbox)

In Ohio all narcotic scripts that are filled are registered in a statewide data base. All aperson needs to access it is name DOB and possibly SS# . (I cant remember about the #) Most docs around here pull that info before the pt even steps in the office and updates it thru out the time they are a pt. Now as far as subs, I'm not sure . Yes I understand it is a narcotic as well, but I thought the confidentialty rules were a bit stricter becasue of the mental health issue. Hmmm. I going to do a bit more digging and see if I can find out more info.

UNEEK1 is offline Member

Default Thanks

Thank you to all that responded. It is all starting to make sense. I have a question now about myself. I was on narcotics then suboxone. I have all of the documentation(x-rays, mri's) to back up my reason for using them, sadly I became dependent on them and then they were not helping me anymore. What if I was to have a surgery within the next 12 months, does that mean I cannot ever be prescribed pain medication? I agree about the stereotyping, that is not fair.

You weren't doctor shopping, you have no reason to worry if you need surgery. Drs can't refuse you adequate pain medication if it's required. God bless.

UNEEK1 is offline Member

Default Good to know

Gotcha. That is good to know for future reference. Hopefully I do not need surgery, unless I want some cosmetic surgery to "enhance" my look...lol...8-}

UserReady is offline Member

Default surgery is a Unique and different situation

No surgeon is going to do any checking on anyone..if his pt. needs narcotics, he is going to give them...cuz they are needed. The last thing a surgeon needs is 1 of their pts..calling the office screaming in pain!! right?

Its the little clinics, offices that obtain records and fill out DEA forms..and do checking.

They don't want their names popping up on DEA forms, but surgeons feel quite comfortable with it, as do the emergency rooms.

when I had surgery my dr. asked me beforehand what drug I wanted.
    I didn't know, i just said I didn't want vicodin!

I think I got percocets.? and lots of them

hope all turns out well.

Magdalena12 is offline Member

Hi All-

Oh yeah, "they" are watching you..hehehe. I became addicted to Norco and bought them via the internet (yeah I know, I was lucky I didn't get something totally erroneous that killed me, God knows what I did get, except it had to have some opiate component since I never went into withdrawal...just couldn't do the doctor shopping as I work in the medical field in this town), I went through an outpatient program and stopped taking them for a short period. I saw a new primary care physician, as I hadn't had one for a long time, after seeing him for low back pain twice, out of the blue....I get a certified letter from this physician stating that they checked with the DEA and found that I had bought narcotics over the internet (Before seeing this doctor) and therefore were discharging me from their care! I was floored to say the least. I called the office and asked them how they obtained this information. They said that because I signed the authorization for release of medical records, etc. (everyone signs one of these when they see a doctor) they are able to send a list of all their patients to the DEA and the DEA will send them a list of any of their patient's who have received narcotics, both legally or illegally. I was told by this office that the DEA is trying to crack down on the internet sale of narcotics and they must have busted a pharmacy or medical doctor that had my name as a "client".
    This is just one example of how "they" are watching you. I have mixed feelings about this. Yes, I understand that physicians are trying to protect you and themselves, etc., the problem I had with this was I never bought narcotics over the internet during the TIME HE WAS TREATING ME. My personal opinion is that if he wants to check out what I am taking, WHEN I AM A PATIENT OF HIS, I understand that and can't argue that point, BUT I don't believe he should have the right to check ANYTHING when I was not a patient of his.

I am on suboxone now and quit the internet stuff years ago. Just wanted to tell you my story. I have VERY mixed feelings about all doctors being able to talk to anyone they want about you at the drop of a hat.....somehow I feel like nothing is sacred!!! It is VERY difficult to keep you medical records private now days, between insurance companies, physicians, pharmacies and their computers, red flags go up in an instant.

mags

UNEEK1 is offline Member

Wow, that is an interesting story and very informative. I agree, the Dr. should not have been able to discharge you because of something that you did previously. I am starting to believe that once you take narcotic pain meds., you are labled an addict. That is not true for some people. I have all of the documentation, x-rays and mri's to back up my pain pill usage, yes I did get addicted and that was not intentional, I was just trying to make it through the work day ( I was a Courier for FedEx). Once I started suboxone, I had to quit my job because I couldn't not handle the physical part without narcotic pain meds. So, I have lost a lot due to my addiction (thank god I did not lose my family), Plus knowing that I have to live with pain for the rest of my life and then to be "labled" really sucks. I wish I could write a letter to the DEA and give them a peice of my mind.
    Not only do the creditors check your credit information prior to approving you for credit, now Dr.'s are doing a DEA background check before keeping you as a patient. I think that is invasion of privacy. So what happens if you do not sign the form for "release of Medical info"? Do they still check your background but cannot use it against you, then the Dr. would never prescribe narcotics. I think it is a crock because I know of so many people that get a couple of hundred pills a month and they are selling half of them for $2-4 a pill. But people that legitimitley need them get treated like a drug seeker. Sorry for the rant.