On prescription meds and positive drug test
    avalynn is offline New Member

Default On prescription meds and positive drug test

To make a long story short I am allergic to almost all antibiotic except one that can only be used in an emergency. I have had over 23 surgeries and have been on way too many antibiotics and I am only 24 years old. Two years ago I developed MRSA and almost died. I not only am allergic to antibiotics but I get anaphylactic shock and have almost died 5 times when given different ones. After the MRSA infection and the shock 2 years ago I started having real bad health anxiety. I was tried on different anti-depressents and counseling and started doing better.

Two weeks ago I developed a very bad cold tht went into pneumonia. I started getting really scared and my health anxiety started flaring up. In the meantime since I got done with college I applied for a job in a hospital in a office. I was to start last Monday.

I went to my main doctor with this bad cold on Sat. 7/21. who know my health hx. My WBC was 12,000 so he didn't think the antibiotic should be used yet so we should treat the symptoms. In the office they gave me two breathing treatments and 15mls of a cough medicene with oxycodone in it. They gave me scripts for Robitussin with codeine, Ativan(because I was so anxious) 1mg bid which was too strong so on Monday they changed it to Klonopin 0.5mg bid, a sample of Lunesta 3mg to take Saturday and Sunday nights only because i can't sleep very good on the breathing treatments, HHN treatments which I have at home, medrol dose pak. They also told me to continue my regular meds which are Topamax, birth control pill, steriod creme for acne(I dont have the tube with me right now), Ibuprofen, and Flexiril for a broken nose and facial bones(car accident in July).

I went in for the physical exam and drug screen and told them about the klonopin and cough syrup. They just called me and said it was positive for 3 other meds I didn't mention. The test was Thursday 7/27. I didn't think about the cough syrup they gave me in the office or the breathing tx or the medrol dose pak or the ativan that was too strong or the 2 days of Lunesta.

If my doctor writes a letter with my medical information with the scripts will that help? I am in big trouble and don't think I will get the job now. It was a urine test and a blood test. Help please I am sick.

Question prescription meds and positive drug test

I hope I didn't mean to make anyone think I am on these meds all the time. I thought when they asked me what prescription meds I was on I was telling the truth. My mom called and asked the doctor I saw and he said he would write a letter but I am now so embarrassed I don't know what to do. He said they must have shown up on the urine test and then they did a blood test. He said the ativan and klonopin would have showed up as benzopines(SP)? So would have the Lunesta. Do they actually show the individual drug? He was surprised the oxycodone would have showed up and would be surprised if it did as I only had the one dose in the office. It would have been 5 days after they gave it to me. He said the codeine in the cough syrup would have showed as I was still taking it but told them I was. I told them the klonopin but didn't tell them about the 2 days of ativan. I quit taking all of it as it has just made my health anxiety worse now. I probably don't have a job now anyway as who would want to hire someone who looks like they take that many meds. My doctor is pissed at them but I am pissed at myself. I should have been thinking straight but I was so sick and thought drug test were for illegal drugs not even thinking about prescription drugs ordered by a doctor.

It is my fault for not being more careful and putting now exactly down everything that was given me and prescribed for me. The doctor is faxing them a letter tomorrow but I am shaking even thinking about going back there. I don't think I can do it. I feel so guilty even though the doctor says I didn't do anything wrong and is surprised they would test that throughly. He said probably because it is at a hospital were it doesn't cost them so much.

Jeez, I had a drug test a month ago for another part-time job I have for the summer and pasted it with flying colors. Of course, that was before I got so sick with this stupid cold/pneumonia.

Would someone explain to me how these drug test work? I still don't understand why they would be so critical of someone who did what the doctor ordered/ or took what they gave me in the office. I can see if I was seeking out meds but i wasn't. I wish I could take antibiotics like everyone else does. Oh well, my parents said there is nothing I can do about it now and it is a learning experence for me if it ever happens again.

Will someone please respond to me. My anxiety level is reaching a all time high and I'm trying to be calm and use my breathing techniques but nothing about this seems fair.

Cats Meow is offline Banned

With your doctors letter, you will pass your test, no need to worry about that. Whether or not they discriminate because you have a positive test is hard to say, especially because it's a hospital. Because you're not a regular user of these meds goes in your favor. Keep positive, you're probably going to be okay, it's all you can do anyway.
    I'm not sure what you want to know about drug tests. How long they stay in your system and what they test for? Read here or try and be more specific.
    http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/.../testing.shtml

Unhappy On prescription drugs and drug test

After reading other post I just am curious:

Oxycodone: Stays in urine and blood ----days. Will be negative in a drug screen after ----days. Mine was 5 days and was positive. Everyone else says 5 days should be clean.

Lunesta, Klonopin, Ativan: Can show in your blood or urine for up to 6 weeks- correct? When they do the testing it doesn't say: Benzodiazepined-It says: 1)Ativan 2)Klonopin 3)Lunesta(I didn't know until today that it was a scheule drug). It is drug specific right?

Also, I might have asked this but does HHN breathing treatments, medrol dose pak, and flonase show up on drug screen as steroids(annaboilic)? They talk in here about windows where the meds shouldn't show but some of mine did.

God, I am so pissed at myself!! I blew the job I wanted so bad and even though I was doing what the doctor said I should have checked into it instead of thinking every thing was ok.

Thanks for listening.. I just wish I could turn back the clock. My parents feel sick for me too. I told them I don't even want the job now because they will just think I am a drug addict. My parents say I have to go back and the doctor will write the letter explaining everything with a copy of the scripts. I still am having anxiety real bad but refuse to take anything. This too will pass but god I am so sick about it.

If some one can tell me how long after you took oxycone does the urine and blood test detect it? Why after such a small dose? How long with the Ativan, Klonopin and Lunesta? How can they differianiate between the three? Do the steriods I am on show up? Does Topomax show up? How about flexeril as I'm now thinking I might have taken 1 7-10 days before when I had my MRI to make sure the MRSA infection was gone from my bones?

Thanks! Sorry my posts are so long.

kaileyb is offline Member

i'm not real sure the answers to those questions, but your mom is right. get a note from your doctor and show it to your new employers. who cares if they think ur a "drug addict"? you're not, and they'll know ur not either when they see the note from your doc. i have anxiety problems also, and i know for a fact just "not taking" your klonopins isn't going to fix a damn thing. no point in crying over spilt milk (or freaking out over). don't take this reply the wrong way, i'm just trying to help. but honestly just by reading it i can tell you're flipping out too much, just get the doc note and bring it to your potential employer. it's all u can do, and if u dont get the job because of that, then it wasn't meant to be. your health is your health, don't freakin feel bad for wanting to treat pnemonia.

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Other sources state different detection times in urine, one list I have says Opiates like Oxy 2-7 days. Benzos 2-30 days, a single use maybe only two days, long term usage 30+ days. Urine drug panel tests aren't drug specific, Valium, Klonopin, Ativan, etc. just shows as benzodiazepam.

I'm not sure how long Flexeril can be detected, it's not on a panel, but 7 days is a long time.

I'm not sure about sedatives like Lunesta, they may show up under the barb category.
    Steroids aren't tested for even in 12 panel tests. Anabolic steroids probably show up in a CG test, your Flonase is a corticosteroid, I doubt they check for corti's. Idk about your other treatments. Topamax, I doubt it.

Anything can be detected if they look hard enough (think forensics). Being a hospital they probably test by GC (gas chromatography), they probably look for the major illicits, opioids, sedatives, anti depressants, barbs, muscle relaxants and benzos. I doubt they do the full gamut, it's timely and therefore expensive, and mostly unnecc. Being a hospital, they probably are thorough.

You had a cough medicine with Oxycodone in it? I don't think so! Unless is was specially prepared. I doubt you mean Oxyfast. Oxy and codeine definitely shows up separately.

I hope you do okay, let us know how you did.