Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Sharks fan
  • 1 Post By dreamingfree
  • 1 Post By NotUnhappy
Pregnant and Tapering off Subutex
    NotUnhappy is offline New Member

Default Pregnant and Tapering off Subutex

Okay... I am on here looking for support. I know many people on here have tapered off Subutex completely. I've been a lurker off and on for years. I know I can do this; I am so determined.
    My history is no more special than the next, and that's not what I'm here for. I'm here to receive help and support for the present, and possibly future. I've been on Subutex for about a year and a half at low doses... No more than 4mg/day at most. Currently, I am on 1mg/day. I was working a taper when I found out I was pregnant. I am currently 3 weeks pregnant. Honestly, I didn't think I was able to get pregnant. I've been with my significant other for over 7 years. We have never used protection, so it was a surprise to see the test stick say postive. It is bittersweet, because I've always wanted to be a mother; yet I really wish I would have been able to complete this taper prior to getting pregnant.
    So, this is my third day being on 1mg/day, and I am almost stable. Im having minimal symptoms, such as sweating at night (I take my dose in the morning, so by night it is starting to wear off), moodiness (which could be related to being pregnant), and fatigue (which, also, could be related to pregnancy). I plan on staying on 1mg until I'm stable, which I'm assuming will be a couple more days.
    I do have a doctor appt on 9/10, and plan on telling him what I am doing. By that time I will still be tapering down and, not completely off yet. I know my body and I am not going to put unbearable stress on myself, as I know it will affect the baby. I'm knowledgable in the medical field, as I am an RN.
    Please no judgements here. I came here for support, and if I get cruel or negative feedback then it's not worth it.
    I read rxqueens story, and it was such an inspiration to me. I am scared, but I am determined.

iloerose is online now Platinum Member

Look, no judgments will be given here. Will not give you negative or cruel feedback, either. But one thing: read the "cruel" or "negative" feedback in the context it's set. Some people need a jolt of reality. You obviously do not. Generally we follow a .25% taper every 4 days or so. Just be completely stable before you taper. You are on a low enough dose of sub that you'll be off before you know, just slow and steady. Follow what your body tells you, you'll know if you're ready to step down. We're here to support you any way we can!!!! Many people have been where you have been. There was also someone named Nadia who successfully tapered subs and had a wonderful, healthy, baby. You are going to be o.k., that's the mantra now

Peace,

Iloerose

Thanks for your timely reply! I will be okay. : ). I have no doubt about that. The support people give one another on here is unreal. It's just so awesome. And, I understand that some people do need a reality check. Comparable to "tough love".. no sugarcoating... Some just need the truth. I feel like I'm passed that.. I want to quit. It's time.

I've been obsessing over this taper the last couple of days. I've been reading for 5-6 hours a day. I'm not sure if thats the best thing to do, though. I don't want to obsess over my w/d symptoms, because I know I'm going to have more of them, more often as I taper down and eventually jump off. Knowledge is power, but obsession isn't good! : )

I've been curious if there is a difference in getting off suboxone vs. subutex. I know suboxone has naloxone, and pregnant women shouldn't take suboxone. But I wonder if one is easier to get off of than the other?

And I did read Nadia's (aka rxqueens) post, as I mentioned in my original post. To know that I can do this while I'm pregnant, to know that someone has been there and done that... She's an inspiration. And I think we have quite a bit in common. I am 29 as well, and live with my older boyfriend.. And didn't think I could get pregnant.

Anyway, it's my boyfriends birthday today, and he's about to be off work. I want to do something special for him, I just don't know what yet.

hamstercircus is offline Member

Hi there, you are in the right place for support and feedback in regards to subs/tapering. I usually only post when I think I can offer relevant info since I am a nurse as well, but in this case I just wanted to tell you that you are in great hands on this forum. What type of nursing do you practice? OB/GYN was my specialty for years, but have recently moved to >>/DD/MR nursing, which I love just as much. I worked as direct support staff in a group home years ago while I was in college and was a group home manager when I took a couple year "break" before completing my education. I love working with this population of folks, so I am really glad that I am back in the field.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, wow, three weeks is super early! Were you having pregnancy symptoms this early? I am only asking because it's pretty unusual to have symptoms this early since the third week is technically the week conception actually occurs, so don't be surprised if you are further along than you thought if you are having symptoms . I also want to say I would be happy to help you out with info if I can, but since you are a nurse I feel weird just offering it up, so please just holler if you think I may be able to help in any way.
    I wish I could be more helpful regarding the Suboxone vs Subutex, one being easier than the other to come off of. We co-managed our patients with their sub/methadone doctor or treatment facility, so I am not too familiar with the drug itself. I am sure one of the regular posters can give you info on this, I do have an educated guess based upon what little I know of both drugs, but don't want to give you info that isn't 100% fact.

I wish you the best of luck, I completely empathize with being both nurse and patient...I am an awesome nurse, but a terrible patient. I think you summed it up well, try not to obsess and take things one step at a time.
    Last edited by hamstercircus; 08-23-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Clarification

Sharks fan is offline Advanced Member

I think the naloxone prevents you from feeling opiates, without the naloxone you are basically only treating the w/d symptoms. It sounds like you probably know more than me though. I don't think either is easier to get off of since its still Bupenopherine, one doesn't have naloxone.

Check out the suboxone board, Alex's thread over there is a great inspiration. I read his thread and was so incredibly relieved to know it can be done with minimal symptoms. You are correct that you will feel something, it should be totally manageable though. Take it slow since you are pregnant, the main thing is to wait until you are 100% stable. Don't rush this.

Good luck
    iloerose and hamstercircus like this.

dreamingfree is offline Member

You will get a lot of great support here with no judgment! I am also pregnant although on a different med and further along but I can say I totally understand being scared. If you read my thread I was or am not nearly as calm as you!

Congrats on baby!
    iloerose likes this.

I'm a med-surg nurse, so labor/delivery is not my specialty. I did, of course, study it, but I've forgotten a lot of things since school! : ) I appreciate your reply, and I'm sure you can assist me as I progress in my taper plan.

And, I think I'm 3 weeks along, from my calculations. I did have my period last month (sorry if tmi for some of you!). I tested about 8 days ago because I was having period like cramps for 4-5 days, without the period. And tender breasts.. I mean SO very sore.. Unlike anything I've felt before. I got 2 postive pregnancy tests. I'll let ya know when I go to my doctor appt. they are going to do an ultrasound, and should be able to tell if I am further along.

Sharks Fan, Can you post a link to the suboxone board you are talking about? Or I could search for Alex if you tell me his name on here. I'd like to read more about it. I'm not the best on navigating through this website.

Thanks, everyone, for the positive words of encouragement. It really builds my confidence, and helps me realize I can get through this. And I will!!

Sharks fan is offline Advanced Member

Here is a link to Alex's thread:
    http://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone-...per-62791.html

You can also check out the sub forum, you might get more action over there.
    http://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone-treatment/

You absolutely can do this, half the battle is mental and it sounds like you have a great attitude.

What a happy surprise! Finding out early is fun, not long after my son turned nine my husband and I thought we better hurry up if we wanted to have another child, so since we were trying I pretty much knew exactly when I had conceived when I got the first positive ucg. The only downside is that it makes for a loooong pregnancy, lol, but it gives you ample time to get ready. We had a lot of patients that had positive ucg's before they were getting ready to go on birth control, based on their lmp's they thought they were earlier in the pregnancy than they actually were, not always though-we had some patients that were really early and it was one or two weeks until we could see a yolk sac on u/s.

As far as tapering goes, the experienced members here will help you tremendously, but if there is any OB info I can help with I will try to help or at least point you in the right direction if need be.

whatsinaname is offline Platinum Member

Hey Unhappy,

You definitely can do this. Being at 1mg, your already so close to being free. Just stick with the taper plan. Keep posting your progress. You will be so happy with your new clean life. For both you and your baby!!!

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Okay, so this is my first day of 0.75. It's so hard to get the amount accurate because it always ends up breaking up into small pieces. The pills aren't real hard anymore, so I did my best to 'eyeball' it. I know it was less than 1mg, maybe even less than 0.75.
    Anyway, the nights are the only time I feel somewhat uncomfortable, but it is completely tolerable. It's mostly sweating, and I can't get comfortable. I do get sleep, though. I tend to wake up around 5 or 6am, take my dose for the day, and go back to sleep for an hour or two. I have to work the next 3 days, and I work 12 hour shifts. Im on my feet pretty much all day. I worry about when I make the jump, how it will affect my work. I get 7 days off in a row in about a week and a half, and plan on making the jump then. The part that worries me the most is how people talk about how they can't sleep. I know I won't be able to take anything to help me sleep, since I'm pregnant, and I haveto get sleep. Can anyone tell me how long the sleepless nights last? Or when they begin?
    I need to stop worrying, but argh! I can't help it.

Hi there, I just popped on here really quick before I leave work and saw your post, I am sure someone that can help with sub info will be along soon to answer your questions. I know it is hard not to worry, but I try not to think too far ahead about what may happen. Is your doctor 's appointment on 9/10 your initial ob appointment? If it is and you have any concerns prior to that, call the office and make a regular office visit appointment to discuss your concerns. Let them know you have your initial ob appointment on the 10th and are planning to keep that appointment, but you have some concerns you think need to be addressed prior to the initial ob visit.

I hope you are feeling well and stay hydrated!

iloerose is online now Platinum Member

Hey, notunhappy, the taper plan is not set in stone. Try to keep your symptoms to a minimum. You're at .75mg? Post how you are feeling. Go SLOWLY, no rush, first get any w/d symptoms under control, you should feel almost "normal". No more than a .25% drop and you may need to go longer than the 4 days described in the taper. Let your body tell you how you feel. There is no difference between the subutex and suboxone except the naloxone, so the switch would be good. Most people are used to the sub strips and those are easier to cut. If you can get the strips that's best, otherwise, you are going to have to cut (get a one-sided razor blade) and then crush the sub and put them in piles as you taper. Don't go too fast and never do a drop if you are not stable at the dose you are on. You have plenty of time for this. It is real important at the low doses that you are stable.

1. How many mg. are your tablets?
    2. Do you think you can get the films?

The reason I asked those questions is that you want to be as accurate as you can be, given the situation. But no worries, I have been here long enough to see people go down far enough and then crush the sub!!!
    You are going to be fine. Stay well!

Peace,

Iloerose

Yes, hamster, my first appt is on 9/10. I will keep in mind that I can call if needed. Thanks. : ). I have been staying hydrated, trying to drink at least 2 liters/day. I have been making a lot of trips to the bathroom, but I know it's good for me. I've also been craving lemons with salt. So weird!

Hi illoerose! That's a good idea to crush and separate the pills so it's more accurate. Do you have any suggestions on how to store them after crushing? Also, the strips would be easier, but as far as I know subutex doesn't come in strips. And pregnant women aren't recommended to take suboxone.... Something to do with the naloxone. Oh, and the pills are 8mg.

Today has been good. No noticeable w/d symptoms. In fact, I cleaned the house and got a lot done today. Dreading the next 3 days, though... 3 12 hour shifts suck. I just gotta do it. Plain and simple.

Again, thanks for your support! I'm gonna get off this stuff soon, and kick this subs butt!
    whatsinaname likes this.

whatsinaname is offline Platinum Member

Hey Notunhappy,

Sounds like you have a great attitude abut this, Thats awesome and will help you immensely. You can store them in plastic bags or foil. A lot of times >> take old pill bottles and label them. If they are crushed foil might be your best bet. Just be sue to label them so you know what is in each one.

Good luck!! Congrats on your baby too!

rxqueen83 is offline Member

Here I am. A day late and a dollar short but hey you're doing great and should be well on your way now. Just go very slowly and let your symptoms stabilize before you make the next jump. I have been sub and drug free almost fourteen months now

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rxqueen83 View Post
    Here I am. A day late and a dollar short but hey you're doing great and should be well on your way now. Just go very slowly and let your symptoms stabilize before you make the next jump. I have been sub and drug free almost fourteen months now
    Nadia? How are you?
    Marian

rxqueen83 is offline Member

Wally! Wonderful! Hate to high jack the thread but OMG, life is great!!! I miss you guys! I made a post in the Suboxone section and I should do one in the "Need to Talk". Everything's just wonderful. I have a great, high paying new job. My kids are wonderful! Me and the boyfriend broke up a while ago but I actually have been seeing someone else and am really excited about it. I have a new place! 10/20 will be fifteen months drug free. Oh my god Shadow, life is so good. It's so serene. I'm actually helping someone I love detox from subs right now. I have people looking up to me, admiring me, respecting me. Great relationship with my friends, family, parents. I can't brag enough! I love this sober thing!!!
    COMPLETELY CLEAN (Sub FREE) as of 7/20/12

"I don't like the drugs, but the drugs LIKE ME" Marilyn Manson

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rxqueen83 View Post
    Wally! Wonderful! Hate to high jack the thread but OMG, life is great!!! I miss you guys! I made a post in the Suboxone section and I should do one in the "Need to Talk". Everything's just wonderful. I have a great, high paying new job. My kids are wonderful! Me and the boyfriend broke up a while ago but I actually have been seeing someone else and am really excited about it. I have a new place! 10/20 will be fifteen months drug free. Oh my god Shadow, life is so good. It's so serene. I'm actually helping someone I love detox from subs right now. I have people looking up to me, admiring me, respecting me. Great relationship with my friends, family, parents. I can't brag enough! I love this sober thing!!!
    You worked hard for it! You deserve it.
    I'm happy for you!
    Marian