Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By ARTIST658
pregnant and on norco
    no1sangel is offline New Member

Default pregnant and on norco

Hi, I found this site by researching how to get off norco while pregnant without causing my baby to die from withdraws while in utero. I have Rhuematiod arthritis and suffer from pregnancy induced migrain headaches. Before I was pregnant I was on a daily diet of methadone, diladud, flexeril, and restoril for insomnia and mind blowing pain. The ob/gyn put me on Norco 10/325, about 10 of them a day. I was told that this was "safe" and was led to believe that they would take me off of them a month or two before I am due and everything would be ok. Today, I was told that not only will my baby be born addicted, but if I quit them my baby stands a good chance of dying. I am a few days away from 22 weeks. I read a bunch of posts from a few years ago from women in pretty much the same situation and was hoping and praying that I would get some advice on how to quit and save my baby at the same time. I am not worried about myself going thru withdraws, I just dont want my baby to die OR be born addicted. This is not ok with me as it seems to be ok with the doctors that I am dealing with. Pain management is now not an issue with me as my babies health and safety are top priority. Is there anyone that has either been thru this and can help or someone medically capable of giving safe advice??

starryskies is offline Junior Member

If your DRs wont safely wean you down then I think you should find a new DR. That is a very dangerous amount. I wish you all the best, but please try to lower the amount of pills you take for your baby's health.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

I don't understand why your doctor took you off the methadone since it is the gold standard for pregnant women.
    Methadone is extremely potent and blocks the effects of other opiates-opioids like dilaudid so I don't know why he was wasting your time giving you that.
    Well, worrying about what was isn't going to help you now but in my opinion hydrocodone is ******************** and will only hurt you by taking that much tylenol everyday plus its not a very strong painkiller for someone that's already seasoned.
    Can you get back on the methadone and flexeril???Good luck to you.....Dave

I think you should ween yourself off of them because you are right, quitting cold turkey could possibly kill the baby. lower your dose to what ever is the safest amount for the baby, and gradually ween down from there. best of luck. if you just need someone to talk to or let everything out to im here

ymccormack is offline Member

Default Oh Boy....

In my humble opinion....your doctors are idiots! I'm with Dave (as usual)...if nothing else you should be switched to Methadone....it will at least be a little easier on the baby. Methadone is the standard for pregnant women....but still addictive.

As far as weaning off now....be very careful. You don't have a lot of time until the baby is born to taper. I totally understand where you're coming from that you don't even care about your own comfort at this point....just the baby. But remember that your withdrawl symptoms are also the baby's.

I would request they put you on Methadone....then take the minimal amount you can take without feeling withdrawl. Get lots of rest (if possible).

It's going to be OK. Please do not blame yourself for this....your doctors were not honest with you and obviously you would have gone another direction if they had. Even if the baby is born and suffers some w/d symptoms...doctors will probably taper him or her off either directly or through your breast milk....happens all the time. Either way...whether in utero or out...the baby will be tapered off. It's going to be OK!!! This is way more common than most people think. Keep doing research so you understand what's happening.....

Please keep us updated!!!! And take your vitamins!!!!!

Yolanda

ogualili is offline New Member

Smile Self Motivation

Self Motivation Is An Important Aspect You Should Develop As You Face The Task Of Turning Away From Norco Use.i Advice Longterm Measures Which Includes Life After You Deliver.you May Not Find It Easy At Onset But Keep Faith With Measures That Will Wane You If Possible For Ever.

meowmami is offline New Member

I'm actually facing the same problem right now and I've tapered down fairly quickly. I know you can do it. Its a hard road but anything for the baby. I disagree with your doctors though, I believe you have time to do it. Your half way through so take a couple weeks to slowly taper yourself off them. The baby feels what you feel so if your stressed or in pain,odds are the baby is too. Norco hasn't been proven to be bad for the baby, only withdrawing from it so take it slow. I'm no doctor but I think if you get down to nothing by 30 weeks, you and the baby should be good. Just take care of youself in every other aspect. Good luck and congrats on your baby..

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

Um, their baby is over 3 years old now ;/

TheNerve123 is offline New Member

Default You deserve to be pain free just as much as the rest of us

You know, I am going through the same exact problem and every time I seek answers or help the opinion is always the same. People always say that the amount of norco or pain medication is unhealthy (well, it is for pain and most medication is unhealthy to begin with). You won't find anyone that will tell you that it is safe, my dr told me all the risks and the lifetime effects of what I am doing will cause, but at the same time said she does not recommend taking me off the pills or weening at all because it will cause pre-term labor. The baby starts to feel unsafe inside the womb and the body with go into labor figuring it has a better chance outside then in. You should try to go off one pill a week, but make sure that if you feel that your withdrawl symptoms are really bad you need to stop and remember whatever you feel the baby does as well. And as far as the pain? I commmend you because I got pregnant, don't believe in abortion, and believe that GOD will make a way, and that I will not be able to get through one day of my Diabetic Neuropathy and nerve pain without any type of painkiller. I was on 12 norco a day and 2 15mg ms contin with it per day and I stoppped the morphine and down to 8 but that is all I can handle without feeling so much pain, or going through worse withdrawl. My Dr and OB/GYN both commend me for that and say that norco is not a very high narcotic the baby may noit suffer much withdrawl. Think of yourself and the baby, but don't look for any good answers on here most people that give it don't really understand real physical pain to begin with. A baby's life is sacred and precious, but how do you think women gave birth back in time? They smoked and drank and their babies are fine. the human race goes on. Believe me you could have done worse. Give yourself a break!!! You are not an addict as many people would like to call you, or tell you that you are putting your "needs" above the baby's. That is not true!! These medications are made for people with pain and you have every right to take it. Good Luck and remember oncethat baby is born you will have much more to worry about. =)

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheNerve123 View Post
    You know, I am going through the same exact problem and every time I seek answers or help the opinion is always the same. People always say that the amount of norco or pain medication is unhealthy (well, it is for pain and most medication is unhealthy to begin with). You won't find anyone that will tell you that it is safe, my dr told me all the risks and the lifetime effects of what I am doing will cause, but at the same time said she does not recommend taking me off the pills or weening at all because it will cause pre-term labor. The baby starts to feel unsafe inside the womb and the body with go into labor figuring it has a better chance outside then in. You should try to go off one pill a week, but make sure that if you feel that your withdrawl symptoms are really bad you need to stop and remember whatever you feel the baby does as well. And as far as the pain? I commmend you because I got pregnant, don't believe in abortion, and believe that GOD will make a way, and that I will not be able to get through one day of my Diabetic Neuropathy and nerve pain without any type of painkiller. I was on 12 norco a day and 2 15mg ms contin with it per day and I stoppped the morphine and down to 8 but that is all I can handle without feeling so much pain, or going through worse withdrawl. My Dr and OB/GYN both commend me for that and say that norco is not a very high narcotic the baby may noit suffer much withdrawl. Think of yourself and the baby, but don't look for any good answers on here most people that give it don't really understand real physical pain to begin with. A baby's life is sacred and precious, but how do you think women gave birth back in time? They smoked and drank and their babies are fine. the human race goes on. Believe me you could have done worse. Give yourself a break!!! You are not an addict as many people would like to call you, or tell you that you are putting your "needs" above the baby's. That is not true!! These medications are made for people with pain and you have every right to take it. Good Luck and remember oncethat baby is born you will have much more to worry about. =)
    Fortunately, the original post was from 2007 - so she won't be following your advice. Frankly, your post infuriated me.

Contrary to your assumptions, MANY of us on this forum are very familiar with pain - especially chronic pain - myself, included. I am also very familiar with the drugs you mentioned, as well as addiction and recovery - as I work in the field. And, indeed, even when a person is taking narcotics for real pain, they can become addicts.

I find it ironic (at best) that you proclaim that you don't believe in abortion - but go on to readily speak of the on-going harm you are causing that innocent baby - and how justified you are in doing so. So, if I have this straight - you would never kill an unborn baby, but you would be willing to harm them?

You said, "These medications are made for people with pain and you have every right to take it." No - you do not! You are not just taking these drugs yourself - you are putting these powerful, mind-altering, mood-altering, addictive drugs INTO your unborn baby. If you did this after he/she was born, you'd be arrested for child abuse and child endangerment. That baby is relying on YOU to put his/her needs ahead of your own - and clearly, you are not.

YES, it is addiction regardless of the pain underlying the drug use. YES, it is putting yourself ahead of your baby. Pain relief is NOT a "right" - it's a privilege. I endure tremendous pain - without narcotics - on a regular basis. The reason? I will not take addictive medications. I know addiction all too well, and I can not be that selfish. If I were to start popping pills for pain relief, I would cause insanity to my children - my husband - my clients - and my life. I know the person I am clean and sober is NOT the person I'd be while using narcotics. (That's true for all of us.)

If you can not make it through a day without a tremendous amount of narcotics, maybe you shouldn't be having a child right now. What kind of shape will you be in, to care for that baby? Ask yourself this, "Would you hire a babysitter for your baby who is taking the amount of drugs you are taking?" If the answer is "no" - then you are in no condition to take care of your own baby, either.

The greatest potential for harm to an unborn baby is in the last trimester. I pray you are able to wise up to what you're trying to justify - and stop this madness before then. A slow taper, beginning now, would NOT cause the baby to suffer withdrawals. It would require YOU to make use of your own strength and determination, and be willing to sacrifice your own comfort - for this baby's life.

If your pain is THAT severe, then you should never have put yourself in a position to become pregnant in the first place. There are birth control methods that are darned near foolproof.

I truly will pray for that baby. If he/she survives this pregnancy, and even miraculously doesn't suffer harm or future learning disabilities from it - that baby will still need my prayers. He/She is coming into this world with a lot of challenges ahead of him/her. If a woman is so narcissistic that she is not prepared to sacrifice for her children, then that woman is not equipped to be a mother - and that innocent child is destined to struggle.

If I knew who you were - or where you lived - I'd be reporting you for child abuse to the Department of Human Services. This IS child abuse. You picked a very appropriate screenname.

God bless,
    Ruth

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 09-10-2011 at 03:50 PM.

TheNerve,

I came back to see if you'd responded, as your post was very troubling. I can see that you've been on this site recently, but without response. I do pray you're putting your unborn baby's needs ahead of your own. God bless.

HicksvilleNY is offline Member

I can't believe any Dr would put you on that while pregnant.
    You might have one hell of a lawsuit

Hello Artist. I made a post a while back on another question and I think that I was TERRIBLY misunderstood and would really like to talk to you. My e-mail is Livismama88 at yahoo. I regret posting something so drastic to anyone that might not understand fully what I meant, and if anyone that was reading what i was writing could have been an addict then you are right I was wrong for posting that. I never should have wrote something so influencial on a subject that personally should be between a patient and their doctor. The reason behind me posting something like that was because I had spoken with my high risk dr and another Dr. Junig (he writes a blog) that day he e-mailed me and gave me a bunch of info. I feel that I relayed that information in a poor and irresponsible way and apologize again for upsetting you. As far as right now I have been recently diagnosed with another type of neuropathy,proximal neuropathy, and still am taking the norco unfortunately per my dr's orders. This is between me and my doctor and I definitely should never have talked about it with another person that could have been influenced by it. My baby is doing fine, growing good, but I don't know why on the outside my body feeling liks it is dying. I appreciate your prayers and as a apastolic woman I feel that prayer is strengthened in numbers and appreciate if you culd keep me in your prayers. And again if you have any word or comfort or help for me I would appreciate it. I am only 26 and have pain to look forward to for the rest of my life... It really made me feel like you are a person of great character to be so upset and floored by a comment that I made, only it was misunderstood and irresponsible on my part, but it still made me feel like you would be a great person to talk to. Thank you for your time.
    TheNerve123,

While I appreciate your apology, it's pretty hard to "unring a bell." Your messages have been nothing short of alarming. My greatest concern is that you are putting yourself ahead of this innocent baby - and that just demonstrates to me that you're going into parenting with a really mixed-up sense of priorities. I read somewhere that you'll be having a c-section on December 30, and I am certainly keeping you and your baby in my prayers.

I guess I should explain a little bit more of why your post infuriated me. Over the years, my husband and I have adopted 7 foster children. Every single one of them came from a home with drug addiction and/or alcoholism. The 2 youngest were adopted at birth, from a mother who continued to use drugs during her pregnancies. They are now 14 and 15, but the hell they've gone through defies explanation. These kids are affected for the rest of their lives by that mother's decision to use drugs. One of them could not even sleep lying down for the first year. He had to sit up to sleep, and one of us parents had to stay up with him all night. His digestive system had not properly developed, and he risked death if left alone to sleep. Both have a long list of 'special needs' that they'll contend with for life. Each of them has a low IQ, bordering on mental retardation. Both of them have serious mood disorders.

It's not simply the first week or two that the infant has to undergo the physical detox that is the problem. (Even though that is a huge problem!) This baby is likely to have problems throughout their life that stem from the mother's drug use.

By the way, your posted, "...if anyone that was reading what i was writing could have been an addict then you are right I was wrong for posting that." It's not only addicts who would be adversely affected by your words. It's any pregnant woman. And it's not only folks using street drugs that are addicts. Those of us who have been given legitimate, legal prescriptions from our doctors also become addicted. That's what happened to me. Addiction does not happen only to "other people;" it happens to anyone. If you are consuming opiates on a daily basis, your body is already dependent upon the drug. In other words, stopping will produce an uncomfortable physical withdrawal. Addiction is merely the next invisible line we so easily cross ... when it's not just a physical withdrawal upon stopping, but a mental preoccupation with using the drugs that takes place. It sneaks up on us, and telling ourselves that our doctors prescribed it does not change it.

I have looked up the medications that are commonly used for "diabetic neuropathy" and "peripheral neuropathy" and this site has a long list of suggestions: http://www.drugs.com/condition/diabetic-neuropathy.html

You'll note - that norco and morphine are not listed as common medications for neuropathy. In fact, not a single opiate narcotic is listed. I can not imagine why your doctor would not have explored any and all of these other meds, before prescribing an opiate. What makes me especially infuriated is that these meds were not tried after you become pregnant, to keep you off the opiates. I'll be honest with you - I seriously question your doctor's integrity, prescribing you opiates for long-term use period, let alone continuing it through your pregnancy.

I wish I could offer some words that are more encouraging. But sometimes, the best I can do is simply be honest and direct. This is a difficult situation, all around. I certainly will keep you both in prayer.

God bless,
    Ruth

macimcchesney is offline New Member

Default took norco while pregnant, now living with regret

Im sure I will get hate for this.. but here ya go.. I am a young women with a sever disease called lupus as well as a seizure condition. I took medications during my pregnancy for my illness's.. but I also took norco the whole time as well. my baby was born with no withdrawls but they still had to keep her for a week to watch her. that was horrible.I fought with the guilt my whole pregnancy.but i couldnt stop taking them. I had already taking the norco for years before i got pregnant. the pain was worse during my pregnancy. my doctor prescribed them to me the whole time. i took six to eight a day.i still hate myself for it, because now that she is here all i do is worry of what it could of done to her. the other medications as well.. but norco was the only narcotic drug i was on.still am..also i couldnt breast feed because i was afraid it would pass on to her. she latched on so well too no problems.except im hooked on med's that i didnt want to pass on to her. so yes i will probably go to hell and god forbid if im blessed to ever have another kid. but i wanted to say living with the guilt now and will forever. because after having this sweet angel come into my life and falling so madly in love with her. i never want to hurt her or cause her harm. everytime i look at her i have enough guilt to kill me. another reason i can live without anyone reminding me. i only posted so that others wouldnt feel alone in this. yes your baby will more then likely come out fine but who knows what the future holds... thats somthing i will fear for the rest of her life. so if you can not take pain meds till after, try hard not too.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by macimcchesney View Post
    Im sure I will get hate for this.. but here ya go.. I am a young women with a sever disease called lupus as well as a seizure condition. I took medications during my pregnancy for my illness's.. but I also took norco the whole time as well. my baby was born with no withdrawls but they still had to keep her for a week to watch her. that was horrible.I fought with the guilt my whole pregnancy.but i couldnt stop taking them. I had already taking the norco for years before i got pregnant. the pain was worse during my pregnancy. my doctor prescribed them to me the whole time. i took six to eight a day.i still hate myself for it, because now that she is here all i do is worry of what it could of done to her. the other medications as well.. but norco was the only narcotic drug i was on.still am..also i couldnt breast feed because i was afraid it would pass on to her. she latched on so well too no problems.except im hooked on med's that i didnt want to pass on to her. so yes i will probably go to hell and god forbid if im blessed to ever have another kid. but i wanted to say living with the guilt now and will forever. because after having this sweet angel come into my life and falling so madly in love with her. i never want to hurt her or cause her harm. everytime i look at her i have enough guilt to kill me. another reason i can live without anyone reminding me. i only posted so that others wouldnt feel alone in this. yes your baby will more then likely come out fine but who knows what the future holds... thats somthing i will fear for the rest of her life. so if you can not take pain meds till after, try hard not too.
    No hate kiddo.......
    i'm so glad your baby is ok.
    just do the next right thing and yes, i know, you have no idea how much you are going to love that baby til you have your first...quite a thing huh?
    what's your plan for the future?
    Marian

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by macimcchesney View Post

God will NEVER judge you for that! He loves babies and you have a legitimate illness. There is a difference in partying with drugs and being a true chronic pain patient. You have NOTHING to be ashamed of. I have four autoimmune disorders, I know what you can go through with Lupus. Cut yourself some slack! Congratulations on your new baby! God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 06-09-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.