Pregnant and coming off METHADONE
    tiiaa1 is offline New Member

Default Pregnant and coming off METHADONE

I have been on methadone for about 2 years now and within the last 6 months or so I have started to come off it 10mg/month. I am now down to 35mgs and have just found out that I am 8 weeks pregnant.
    I am sooo close to being off it and I would really like to keep going and be off it before I have the baby. I have been feeling fine and haven't noticed any withdrawl. My family doctor wants me off it asap. My methadone doctor wants me to stay at the dose I'm on and stop decreasing. I'd really like to continue decreasing since everything seems to be going fine. I'd really like to keep going so that the baby won't have to go on Morphine when it's born. Also, Children's Services has to get involved if you have a baby that's born on Methadone. So, if i stay on it they'll probably just end up taking the baby anyways. I know how they work. There's really no point in even having a baby if their going to take it.
    So I guess what I'm trying to ask is if anyone has ever been in the same situation that I have? Has anyone continued to decrease their methadone dose while they were pregnant, and how did it work for them?

Quote Originally Posted by tiiaa1 View Post
    I have been on methadone for about 2 years now and within the last 6 months or so I have started to come off it 10mg/month. I am now down to 35mgs and have just found out that I am 8 weeks pregnant.
    I am sooo close to being off it and I would really like to keep going and be off it before I have the baby. I have been feeling fine and haven't noticed any withdrawl. My family doctor wants me off it asap. My methadone doctor wants me to stay at the dose I'm on and stop decreasing. I'd really like to continue decreasing since everything seems to be going fine. I'd really like to keep going so that the baby won't have to go on Morphine when it's born. Also, Children's Services has to get involved if you have a baby that's born on Methadone. So, if i stay on it they'll probably just end up taking the baby anyways. I know how they work. There's really no point in even having a baby if their going to take it.
    So I guess what I'm trying to ask is if anyone has ever been in the same situation that I have? Has anyone continued to decrease their methadone dose while they were pregnant, and how did it work for them?
    I dont know what state you live in but I have never heard of CS taking a baby away for being born on perscibed methadone. If you continue your taper go as slowly as you possibly can. If you decide not to then stay at your current dose or lower it alittle now in case you need to up it alittle when your like 8months along. I know of a successful methadone birth. Yes CS was involved for a few weeks after she was born but just in a helpful kind of way. The baby was healthy and didnt need supplemented methadone. The breastmilk keep her out of w/d and was SLOWLY weened from it without incident by substituting the breastmilk with tiny amounts of formula. She had to pump her milk when she started the ween. I have heard of miscarragies if you continue to ween and stop while pregnant but I dont know anyone personally that this has happened to. Hope this helps alittle and good luck to you and your baby

thebanner is offline New Member

Default question.

Congrats on being pregnant!

When is your baby due?
    What names are you thinking about?