Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Pls hlp me METHADONE- pros vs cons
    rustysneakers is offline New Member

Unhappy Pls hlp me METHADONE- pros vs cons

I think i posted this topic in the wrong place initially so I hope I'm doing this right this time...

Without going into a LONG story. I am confused and scared about being prescribed Methadone for pain management.

Some of my concerns are:

I hear this is worse than any other opiate to every detox from should I ever have to (yet that being said, I will most likely require opiate pain management for the rest of my natural life, as its been 20yrs already.)

Currently I am on 200ug. every 48hrs of Duragesic Fentanyl w/ 800mg Actic every 4-6hrs.

AT that current dose, What would the likely conversion dose to methadone be for optimum effectiveness, or the equivilant to what I am on now ?(because when it works properly the patch and pop take care of things fairly well most of the time and GOD KNOWS I DON'T EVER want that DR. putting me on a larger dose of anything than absolutely necessary because I think he put me up here way too quickly when I might have done with less maybe 2 years ago).

How long do you think it would it take to arrive at the optimum dose?
    Will I suffer through absolutehell while doing so?
    Should the need arise, if I needed to change from methadone to something else down the road is that possible?
    I was under the impression that methadone "blocked" the receptor cites from opiates, so if that is true, how could a dr. prescribe an opiate for BT pain? I don't understand that. Similarly, I thought a medicine like "TORADOL" directly stopped an opiate from working. is that true? IDK, something about antagonistic something or other? someone tried to explain it to me once but I forget.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO BY-PASS serious withdrawls AT my current doses by switching to an equally powerful opiate and equal dose- for a few weeks giving the fentanyal a few weeks to eliminate from my system entirely then titrate from whatever it was I substituted in its place? WOW, that almost sounded pleasant for a minute. LOL

I really appreciate any helpful experiences anyone has being on this med. or coming off this med and any general knowledge anyone can supply. I am nervous because I see my Dr. this Friday and I am nervous he may try to vigourously PUSH me in this direction leaving me little choices. I have resisted this for a LONG TIME FOR MULTIPLE REASONS. So time is kinda of the essence here. AND ONCE AGAIN, THANK YOU ALL

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

2mgs of fentanyl a day is equal to 90 mgs of methadone.I would try 40mgs of methadone in the am and another 40mgs in the pm.
    Methadone is the best chronic pain killer in my opinion.If you are going to be on a opiate for life then methadone is the way to go.It doesn't cause you to become loopy like other opiates especially when your already seasoned which anyone that goes on methadone should be on a daily dose of a strong opiate for at least 5 years.So don't be afraid of methadone as when used properly is an exellent and safe med.Good luck with your chronic pain.....Dave

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Default Dave

Dave,

I think you left off part of the fentynal amount in your conversion from fentynal to methadone. 2mg of fentynal is not much. LOL But I agree with you that methadone is the way to go for rustysneakers. Have a great day!

rustysneakers,

Dave probably knows as much about methadone as anyone on this forum. I had expected that he would be one of the first to reply when I suggested you start a new thread. You will receive some good replies with this new post.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Robert

Remember that he is on 200mcg duragesic patch so 200mcg=2mgs.I checked the conversion 3 times and it came out to 90 mgs a day which I though sounded about right.
    One other advantage of long term methadone use is you don't get the mental problems that so often come with chronic fentanyl use.
    My doctor had a patient in her early 70's who had been on the duragesic patch for years.She was admitted into a chronic care facility and was diagnosed as demented.
    They took her off the fentanyl and within 6 months she was back living on her own and with no sign of dementia.I forgot to ask why she was on the patch and what they did for her pain??
    The point being that fentanyl can cause these type of problems with long term use.Not everyone but there are people who have a tuff time with this very powerful opiate.....Dave
    Last edited by mpvt; 06-12-2008 at 01:48 PM.

detoxguy is offline Junior Member

rustysneakers,

If everything is working right for you, then whypush the methadone. Why is this doctor pushing the methadone for you or is it a suggestion? First of all with todays technology , the FDA monitors everything. Maybe his script writing popped up a red flag for this doctor and they want to know why all the RX's for you and the reason why. I am not saying you in general but they have cracked down considerably the last few years and monitor everything. there is n o such thing as equivalent dosages ,just minimum dosage amts from one drug to another, especially starting out a new medication , what the manufacturer recommends for starting out on a particular medication combined with your current meds and patient history. As with any medication , you build up a tolorence to it and will haveto increase your dose as needed in due time. Personally I would have a talk with this doctor and find out the underlying reason for the push to meth. I was on that stuff for over 20 years and it never really helped me with pain management. Jot down your concerns before your appt and then just ask him, its your body, you have a right to know. Plus , thank god for the internet, you can look up any concerns you might have, starting with this excellent site. Good Luck !

Dave ... sorry, you are correct. I forgot it was the 200mcg rather than 2mg. that she is on. I read it wrong thinking that it was written as 2mcg = 2mg. 90mg of methadone is exactly what I figured too when I looked again at the conversion. I should have read your post better.

detoxguy ... not to be argumentative, but there are definitely conversions for different drugs. And all has not been going well for this person with the fentynal patches as stated in previous posts. That's why it was suggested she consider a change. It isn't that her dr is in trouble for writing too many scripts nor is he pushing methadone. Thanks for offering your help though.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 06-12-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Smile Thanks Robert!

Thanks Robert, I am reading alot of old threads as well as the posts in my own thread to come to an educated well thought out decision. I see the Dr. Saturday and I'll just see where the appointment goes. I know he's going to be overloaded though because of the fact that he's only coming in to his practice on Saturday's and partial Sunday's for the next three mos. so I'll be surprised if he even remembers our last visit, he gets like that...(because the Army grabbed him and made an offer he couldn't refuse...lol He had to go to TX to treat the poor guys coming home from Iraq m-f but got to see his reg. patients on weekends...

Anyway Thank God Almighty for people like you, and a few others I've gotten help from here. Thanks for checking in on my post, and I hope to have something "happy" to say Saturday night when I post and let y'all know what I decided if anything at all, and what happened.

God Bless you for all you do, the world is a greater place when people like yourself actually reach out to those in need so selflessly. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

Default Thanks Mpvt!

Thanks MPVT,

I appreciate the honest advice. Thankfully I don't get Loopy from the patch and have been on it for maybe 8 yrs now, with different BT meds attached. My Dr. tends to have a sadistic streak to him so I wanted to be sure about conversions because once he switched me to something (cant remember what right now) and I thought I was gonna die, it was SOOOOO low a dose, even my pharmacist asked me "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THAT GUY??" He gave only a quarter of what I needed to be on, and it wasn't because he had to wait for something to get out of my system either... I started hallucinating and everything, He wouldn't answer my calls to his service so Thankfully I had whatever the old stuff was and took that and went in to see him that Monday and wanted to kill him. He was like, "oh, wow, I checked that out, you shouln't have had that happen..." but i knew he way lyin. He's board Cert. pain mgmt and anethesiologist, so no way he made that mistake by accident. I'm sure it was because he wanted to keep me on the patches at the time even though I complained about the problems I was having with them. good God that was scarey!

So I will be smart this time and if he suggests making a switch this month, I will make sure I already know what a conversion dose should be so he cant screw with me, cause like i said to Robert, he won't be around for over a week at a time and has NO COVERING, AND my PCP wont help because he is 85 belive it or not, (I've known him my whole life.) and doesn't want to give the feds a reason to knock on his door cause he's waiting to pass his practice to his son when he gets outta med school in 3 yrs. LOL. So if the pain guy makes a mistake I'm dead.

WOW that was scarey to hear about the 70yr old lady! Odd thing is, I swear, I always think about "what's gonna happen to me when I'm a senior citizen"? Like, one day I may end up in an ER delirious and they think its and OD when it will really be withdrawl and I'll end up either dying or in a straight jacket. That scares the hell outta me.

Thanks again for your suggestions, and information, I appreciate your kindness. God Bless and I will let you know what happens at my appointment.

Smile

Detox-
    Thanks for your input. You may be right about the "red flag pop up" issue though, because I know my Ins. co. isn't pleased to pay 15000K a month for my scripts. (thats what the pharmacist said it costs anyway....) (Thankfully I only have a small co-pay)So I'm sure they will do EVERYTHING THEY CAN TO STOP ME FROM TAKING IT or make the DR. TOO NERVOUS TO prescribe it eventhough I've been on it for 8 yrs or so and with this Dr. for over 10yrs!!! He's been very edgy lately, and everytime I told him about coming up short during the mo. due to sweating them off ect. he was like, we have to be careful. I know you are legitimate but the government will revoke my licence, and you'll be arrested, yadda yadda yadda.

Thats why he may push to the methadon. I don't like it to be honest, but thats why I'm here and glad to get input from people here who are in the know and can help me make an informed decision should I need to.

Thanks again for your help.

Cats Meow is offline Banned

I'll address your other Methadone questions. Methadone doesn't block other opioids exactly from working, it's a rather large molecule and it hogs up space in the pain receptors, so other opioids have trouble fitting in, but some does, something like only a quarter of the dose can get in, so only 20mgs of an 80mg OC has any effect.

Toradol does not stop any opioid from working, it's only an NSAID, not much more then your common Ibuprofen or Celebrex. Toradol is about the only option for analgesia for a Suboxone patient. SubO is a partial agonist, and because of it's high affinity for the μ-opioid receptor it acts as an antagonist. Methadone is a full mμ-opioid agonist, therefore it won't antagonize (or block opioids) and send you into immediate w/d's.
    Your Fentanyl on top of methadone during transition is no problem whatsoever, you will never experience any w/d's, even if your dose is too low (within reason, but no doctor would start at such a low dose to precipitate w/d's).

You really have nothing to lose by switching, you can ask "can we try this on a trial basis, and switch me back to patches and pops if it doesn't have the desired effects?".

There is some drawbacks to its use, you will have to watch weight gain, it does cause users to crave sweets. It inhibits saliva secretion more then other opioids, it's been, how should I say it, accused of causing teeth to rot out prematurely, keeping the mouth well hydrated helps, but there's nothing like good old saliva with all it's enzymes continuously washing the teeth to inhibit cavities.
    There is also some new research suggesting that Methadone may lead to bone degradation, that may be off-set with osteo drugs, I'm not sure.

Hope this helps,
    Cats

Thanks Cats. WOW. YIKES, about the "down side" to the methadone you mention. As for the weight gain, Well, no one told me about that in the begining of my current regime and when I became a full time pain mgt patient I gained 40lbs in 8 mos!!! OMG!!! I didn't know if it was due to the hysterectomy or what. And I am tiny for Godssake. The extra weight actually caused more pain too. Thyroid stopped working too.

Anyway, as for the craving sweets, I went from being someone who never ever touched the stuff to someone who could literally eat sugar by the spoon full. GROSS, but for some reason it comes and goes, I think it has to do with the pops more than the patches. ? . The pops have caused my previously PERFECT teeth to crack, and become suseptible to cavities constantly as well so I don't really want another drug doing that.

But one thing you mention that really bothered me, is the "bone" issue. I had heard that before from so many people. I have osteoporosis and tend to break bones now at the drop of a hat so maybe this isn't for me after all.....

Guess I'm gonna have to do alot of soul searching and question asking etc. before I am ready to make a switch.

Honestly, If i could just work out the hiccups with the current regime, I'd stay the way it is.

Thanks for anwering the other questions about the antagonist stuff... and explaining the way I interupted the opiate "blocking" thing. Well, I see the Dr. Saturday, let you know what happened...
    Last edited by rustysneakers; 06-13-2008 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Idk, if any of those are valid concerns in your case not to consider methadone. You already have the propensity for sweets, and that can always be avoided with a little will power, same with the dental, if it's a problem now it won't be any worse. And about the bone degradation, that's something that methadone has been accused of for a long time, many say it's only a myth, there's only one recent study confirming the allegation, and like I said, osteo drugs may off-set the risk.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...44e7c5f9e6dcc4

I still believe it's the best choice for long term, high opioid dependant, CP sufferers.

janet941 is offline Junior Member

Default Maintenance

It has been my experience that methadone is almost impossible to get off of. I went from Methadone to Suboxone but I don't know if Sub is used for pain management as I was prescribed opiates when not really in need. If there is any way to avoid Methadone do it. Maybe if you are being prescribed methadone by your doctor and can pick up at pharmacy the ordeal would not be as degrading but my experience with it was not good. The half life makes it worse than >>>>>> or other opiates. I am still taking suboxone and am planning tapering off of that as soon as possible. As one who has recreationally done opiates I feel for you in that you need opiates legitimately but would not recommend methadone just from personal experience. I believe that methadone is used for hard core opiate addicts that are not socially responsible, have no routine, job, social skills, etc. It is a way of making people get up, go to clinic, see counselors etc. Basically, I believe it is a government scam. One of the reasons I decided to get off of it and go to suboxone was after hurricane Katrina. Thinking of the people who didn't have access to methadone and actually meeting some of them that traveled from LA to TX just to get dosing was scary to me. Also when you want to go on vacation, say a cross country trip you must plan to pick up dosing along the way. They will let you have take homes after what they think is an approriate amount of time, but the idea that someone has me by the balls that much scares me more than any addiction I ever had to pain killers or any other opiate. As I said I have never had to depend on opiates for legitimate pain so I hope you can find an alternative to Methadone, the withdrawals are just awful and the length of time so much more than other opiates. I personally know of a handful of people who have had my experience and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Default Not Maintenance Talking CP

Thanks for your reply Janet, but Rusty's going to be on mega opioids forever, so quitting is not a factor, you're right about methadone being the hardest drug in the world to kick, but those stats are for quitting clean, going from meth to another strong opioid doesn't create the same level of asperity as long as titration amounts remain consistent. She would be prescribed meth in pill form, take-homes is out of the equation. Rusty is being backed into a corner, her tolerance is at ceiling level, dependence is descending into eventual w/d with the reluctance of her doctor raising the titration, methadone could be her savior.

Suboxone (Buprenorphine) is contraindicated for pain in the USA, pharmacological characteristics of Buprenorphine suggest that it may be difficult to obtain adequate analgesia vis-à-vis with full mμ-opioid agonists for severe CP patients.

Not trying to advocate or deter anyone from doing anything, just stating my experience. If my doctor was as shaky as hers seems to be about writing rx's I would hate to be hung out to dry on methadone. As you can see I haven't posted many times on this forum and I hope I'm not taking up valuable space here with my next question. I posted somewhere else about the effectiveness of Ultram vs. Vicodin when stopping suboxone for a short period (about 3 days). You seem to know a lot about opiates effects on receptors, etc. Any reason why vicodin ES would not work after after 3 days sub free and Ultram would? Thanks in advance.

Default Janet

Tramadol can have analagesic effects because it's not fully antagonised by the μ-opioid receptor, these effects are non-opioid in nature, it also has some serotonergic properties.
    Tram is not a full agonist whereas Hydrocodone is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cats Meow View Post
    Tramadol can have analagesic effects because it's not fully antagonised by the μ-opioid receptor, these effects are non-opioid in nature, it also has some serotonergic properties.
    Tram is not a full agonist whereas Hydrocodone is.
    Serotonergic properties such as those of SSRI's like Paxil and Zoloft?

Yes, basically. Tramadol's serotonergic mechanism may contribute to its overall analgesic properties.
    In my haste to answer your post, I didn't really explain the "serotonergic properties", as it possibly relates to your analgesic inquiry, idk if it's a factor, but any change in brain chemistry can have cumulative effects.

The Tramadol's mode of action mechanism is not fully understood, but it has been shown to inhibit serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake independently, however taken in conjunction with SSRI's it has a synergistic risk of Serotonin Syndrome. Serotonin Syndrome is caused by an excess in serotonergic activity (excess serotonin). Tramadol is contraindicated taken with SSRI antidepressants.

Hope this helped.
    Cats
    Last edited by Cats Meow; 06-16-2008 at 03:03 AM.

Thumbs up

Yes, basically. Tramadol's serotonergic mechanism may contribute to its overall analgesic properties.
    In my haste to answer your post, I didn't really explain the "serotonergic properties", as it possibly relates to your analgesic inquiry, idk if it's a factor, but any change in brain chemistry can have cumulative effects.

The Tramadol's mode of action mechanism is not fully understood, but it has been shown to inhibit serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake independently, however taken in conjunction with SSRI's it has a synergistic risk of Serotonin Syndrome. Serotonin Syndrome is caused by an excess in serotonergic activity (excess serotonin). Tramadol is contraindicated taken with SSRI antidepressants.

Hope this helped.
    Cats
    It did help – made me look some things up as well. Interesting stuff!

Azbowhunter is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by janet941 View Post
    It has been my experience that methadone is almost impossible to get off of. I went from Methadone to Suboxone but I don't know if Sub is used for pain management as I was prescribed opiates when not really in need. If there is any way to avoid Methadone do it. Maybe if you are being prescribed methadone by your doctor and can pick up at pharmacy the ordeal would not be as degrading but my experience with it was not good. The half life makes it worse than >>>>>> or other opiates. I am still taking suboxone and am planning tapering off of that as soon as possible. As one who has recreationally done opiates I feel for you in that you need opiates legitimately but would not recommend methadone just from personal experience. I believe that methadone is used for hard core opiate addicts that are not socially responsible, have no routine, job, social skills, etc. It is a way of making people get up, go to clinic, see counselors etc. Basically, I believe it is a government scam. One of the reasons I decided to get off of it and go to suboxone was after hurricane Katrina. Thinking of the people who didn't have access to methadone and actually meeting some of them that traveled from LA to TX just to get dosing was scary to me. Also when you want to go on vacation, say a cross country trip you must plan to pick up dosing along the way. They will let you have take homes after what they think is an approriate amount of time, but the idea that someone has me by the balls that much scares me more than any addiction I ever had to pain killers or any other opiate. As I said I have never had to depend on opiates for legitimate pain so I hope you can find an alternative to Methadone, the withdrawals are just awful and the length of time so much more than other opiates. I personally know of a handful of people who have had my experience and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
    Janet,
    Methadone can be good for those that need it. As for me, It was great and served a good purpose. BUT!! I would say to those who just started Methadone or are considering it. Ask yourself this question. Is there any other ways to deal with your problems whatever they are. Because Methadone is a medication that is for long term pain, or for people who need to get off >>>>>> or other hardcore opiate abuse. I believe if you go to one of these Methadone clinics to get off of opiates. If at all possibe go there with the plan to start methadone and then taper to complete your sobriety. If it doesn't work for you that's only what you can decide. But it is a ball and chain, and you may have to face getting off it, and believe me, it was a choice that I had to make. I was up to 180-200mg of methadone and saw that I hit a dead end. I was taking methadone for pain starting with 50 mg a day. But as you know how pain tolarerance works with pain meds. I got way to high in milligrams.
    I started Subutex 3 weeks ago which is the pure form of Suboxone, and I've been free from Methadone 4 weeks. But my point is that some people need Methadone and it is good for many people as it was for me and my pain. I was introduced to it through a maintanince clinic {as I was trying to get off the used and abused Norcos} and was just thrilled at how it worked for my pain, without the Euphoria that other opiates gave me. Also it gave me the BEST pain relief I have had in years.
    Another thing I would like to address is the Tramadol issue. I was swithched to it from Norcos years ago and was told it was non narcotic and non addictive. When I was given the medication { [I]I dont remember what my dose there was but it was the max dose every 4-6 hours[I] } and I took it religiously for my spinal pain for 6 months. Well as the story goes I was on a 2 week vacation and ran out. I thought, ok!! I'll just take tylenol and 800 mg Motrin unitll I get home, for I thought there was no narcotic and opiate properties. Well as the story goes as some here can testify to. SICK! SICK! SICK! Real sick. I thought it was the flu until I noticed day on day three of it that my heart was acting up also with 120 heart rate beat 24/7 and heart pain and arithmyia. I went to the emergency room in the High Sierra's and the Dr there said "Your not sick or having a heart attack. Your withdrawling from Tramadol". Man was I pist at my prescribing Dr. Anyway this point is! It is just as addictive as any other opiate type medication and if your Dr tells you that it's ok. Sorry to tell you, it's not.
    I don't get on this site very often but am just thrilled to the amount of support people are getting here. Robert being a dedicated encouragement to this site.
    I hope I didn't offend any with my {Opinion} for it wasn't my purpose. But for those who came to this site looking to stop Suboxone. It can be done with fairly great success and fairly fast compared to Methadone. It has a 24-36 hr life and it does wash through your system without storing itself. I'm now on 3 8mg tabs a day and stepping to 2.5 tomorrow. Stepping down every 5 days.
    To all who are coming off anything. My prayers are with you as I do pray for you all. Also to those who are considering it. 1.) Make your plan 2.) Find the best way to do it, stick with it. And 3.) Keep coming to this site for the support which is overwhelming here.

To all who need sobriety I pray God shows you that there is hope, that He strenghtens each and every one of you, and that you keep accountability to someone in your circle.

Bart
    Last edited by Azbowhunter; 06-17-2008 at 10:38 AM. Reason: bad gramer lol and spelling.

Thank you very much for your information and experience Janet. I am so grateful to have so many other people's experiences to ponder.

Cat's right about me, unfortunately, (regarding the long term opiate pain mngmt patient situation), for right now,- medication,- irregardless of which one, seems to be my only course of action, though I understand the concerns and issues from people who have experience with it, about using it as a last resort. I've been though what I view as living hell with certain meds in the past, so I can image that methadone must be the worst hell imaginable in the wrong situation.

I very much understand the whole degrading issue you spoke about as well with your meth experience because I have the same degrading experiences no matter what I am on - from the pharmacist, his staff, any nosey neighbor, PTA MOM, etc. But Cat's, Robert, mpvt, and others helped me to just recently realize, SCREW what other people think because they are going to think what they want regardless so I try to not let the pharmacist or his staff, etc. intimidate or embarrass me anymore. (although I know your situation was different having to go to a clinic and all, but the feelings were the same believe me.) Hope I remember their words of encouragement EVERY TIME I need them.

I will absolutely consider everyone's opinion and experience that I have read here when making a decision, when and If I am forced to do so, as well as the excellent medical information and suggestions I also recieved from people in the know, like Cats, Robert, mpvt, and so many others that have been such a blessing and relief in my life...

Sincerely, Thanks again for your information. God Bless...
    Rusty

Default Rusty . . .

It's really cool to read your last post above and then look at the first one you wrote on the other thread just eight days ago . Not that you have anything resolved yet, but you sound like a different person today as you are so much more relaxed and INFORMED than you were just a week ago. Don't know about your pain, but you are in a much better mental place now. At least whatever decision you make it will be based on logic and facts rather than strictly on emotion. Good luck and God bless.

Idk, if any of those are valid concerns in your case not to consider methadone. You already have the propensity for sweets, and that can always be avoided with a little will power, same with the dental, if it's a problem now it won't be any worse. And about the bone degradation, that's something that methadone has been accused of for a long time, many say it's only a myth, there's only one recent study confirming the allegation, and like I said, osteo drugs may off-set the risk.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...44e7c5f9e6dcc4

I still believe it's the best choice for long term, high opioid dependant, CP sufferers.
    You may be right Cats, I still can't help the "kicking, dragging and screaming" about it though. lol. I hate change. (just like everyone else. lol)

As promised to everyone who was so helpful to me here's my update...

I couldn't believe it but, (well, actually knowing him as well as I do now I kinda 1/2expected this to happen...) when I went to the Dr. Saturday, as predicted he was OVERWHELMED with patients, 1/2 were having procedures in his office that morning and half were established patients coming in for the monthly script renewal like myself...

(as I mentioned in earlier posts, at the request of "Uncle Sam" he was on an Army base Mon-Fri for the past month and it will continue til September so he has to squeeze in all his patients on the weekends and it gets crazy...)

Anway, I waited 5 hours to be seen and when I went in, the staff couldn't find my chart. (This is the 4th time in 12 months they have misplaced my chart!!! So lucky for me I anticipated this and had brought the remains of my last months scrips with me.) Even so, the Dr. wanted to call the pharmacy "just to check and make sure what date my last refil was".(why couln't he trust the label? IDK) I was so pissed at that point because he had done that three times already in the past, so I said to him,
    "Um, Dr. I have to say I'm uncomfortable with this because the pharmacist is going to wonder what the hell is wrong with me that you call him every month because 'my chart is missing' and you wish to check a date..., not to mention he will wonder what kind of Dr. am I seeing where this happens every other month and always to ME".

On top of that, he didn't even remember the U/A for compliance and effective levels he gave me last month and obviously didn't have that result either since they couldn't find my chart...again.

So, with all that happening, I figured, this guy is in no shape to be discussing anything too serious with me , especially changing my meds around, until his temporary tour of duty is over. He absent-mindedly wrote my usual scripts out, even as I was trying to speak to him, so I took them and left. However I know full well that next month when I see him, he is completely capable of doing one of his famous personality changes again, completely forgetting what this months visit was like, and I could be faced with a decision all over again.

Meanwhile I intend to use some of the suggestions I got from Cats and others to prevent some of the problems I was having with my patches coming off early, sweating them off, not being able to go in a pool etc. -and I am hoping they work out so I won't even need to worry about making changes, or decisions at all. As I said once before, when they are working properly, both meds. (actic and the duragesic patches) do a fair enough job at my pain control. My only issues were the above mentioned complaints for the most part.

THANK YOU ALL, EVERYSINGLE ONE OF YOU WHO HELPED ME. YOU HAVE NO IDEA OF HOW DESPERATE I WAS AND HOW GRATEFUL I AM TO EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO REACHED OUT TO HELP ME. I NEVER EXPERIENCED SUCH AN OUTPOURING OF HELP BEFORE AND FROM SO MANY. (NOT EVEN LIVE AND IN PERSON...) I FEEL ABSOLUTELY BLESSED TO HAVE FOUND THIS SITE. I will continue to visit the site with future questions I may have and for the kind of support I felt here with chronic pain that only the people on this site know all too well. I hope I am in the position to help someone here someday as I have been helped. Best wishes to all.Sincerely,
    Rusty

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    It's really cool to read your last post above and then look at the first one you wrote on the other thread just eight days ago . Not that you have anything resolved yet, but you sound like a different person today as you are so much more relaxed and INFORMED than you were just a week ago. Don't know about your pain, but you are in a much better mental place now. At least whatever decision you make it will be based on logic and facts rather than strictly on emotion. Good luck and God bless.
    LOL OMG you are SOOO right Robert!! I was SOOO freaked out that first night, I was sooo desperate for information, support, and fearful of being judged, etc. I didn't even know sites like this existed, and I was afraid no one would even bother to answer my posts, and if they did, would the info. be accurate or just weird. lol.

I guess from my calmer demeanor everyone can know for sure I sincerely mean it from the bottom of my heart when I say the people here and their informed opinions and suggestions have changed my very life. (imagine that, like, over night.) Although no new decisions have been made, the difference is knowing I have a place to go when I have questions now, or need support, and not only is NO ONE HERE GOING TO JUDGE ME, BUT THEY ARE GOING TO HELP ME (IF THEY CAN) TO GET THROUGH ANYTHING I CAN THROW OUT THERE.

WOW!

But, don't be shocked if I you ever see another "panic stricken" post from me, lol, I DO tend to panic sometimes....

I am eternally grateful for you, cats, dave, and everyone here who were only "looking down" to grab my hand and "pull me up".

I haven't been back on here in a week or so, but your Tramadol comment is interesting. I too was out of town (country) and out of tramadol. The Trams weren't even mine so I was eating them like candy – just for a couple days though. I got vertigo really badly. Never had any heart issues but never even worried about getting addicted to those, although I do see the potential. I have a really deep seated fear about being hung out to dry from methadone, it really was the worst psychological, physiological nightmare I have ever had to endure. I suppose if you never have to get a job in which you must pass a drug test and have a doctor that really cares about you and will never die and always make sure you are o.k. then indeed methadone would be the perfect medication for pain.

I certainly did not mean to suggest that methadone is not your best (worst) solution if you know what I mean. The only thing that I know is that so called 3 day drugs, ie any kind of opiate based pill, Lortab, Norco, Vicodin, or even >>>>>> have a short withdrawal period. It's a hellish withdraw, but nonetheless much shorter than methadone and even Suboxone which I currently take (I didn't know that when I first started taking sub – it was just like a miracle). I read in an earlier post that your dr. was a bit of an a-hole (my interpretation), backing you into a corner and what not. I haven't posted on here much but thinking things over if your dr. would just cut you off from methadone you would have a fall back on the govt. as sleazy as that whole scene is. You do have to prove you are an addict before receiving methadone. I have always worked, had a solid family life and I just can't explain to you what a piece of s$%& I felt like having to go there. It is terrible that pharmacists, drs, and other medical professionals are so elitist with regard to the drugs they dispense. ESPECIALLY PHARMACISTS! Sorry you didn't make it through medical school, but don't take it out on customers who may take pain medication, choose to use birth control, or any number of medications that you may label "Moral" or "Immoral" Just fill the prescription and shut up. Don't let anyone make you feel bad. As I said I haven't posted here much but I believe you have children and I'm not sure of your need for pain meds, but your responsibility is to your family and screw anyone that gets in the way of that. God Bless and good luck with your decision.

You do have to prove you are an addict before receiving methadone.
    Not if it's prescribed for pain, only addiction. You probably know that, but it wasn't clear they way it is written (I think you're only talking about our "great" Govt).

Monty221 is offline New Member

I have been addicted to Vicodin for 10 years and switched to Methadone 10 months ago. I am at 28 mg. Should I go to inpatient detox ASAP and get of it. I am terrified of the withdraws. When I read some of the post here I wish I were dead. I hate being a drug addict. I'm tired of this ********************. Did I make a huge mistake by going on Methadone? I felt like it was a miracle cure for my Vicodin addiction. I feel so normal on it. Am I a fool????

Monty221 is offline New Member

Default terrified!

I have been addicted to Vicodin for 10 years and switched to Methadone 10 months ago. I am at 28 mg. Should I go to inpatient detox ASAP and get of it. I am terrified of the withdraws. When I read some of the post here I wish I were dead. I hate being a drug addict. I'm tired of this ********************. Did I make a huge mistake by going on Methadone? I felt like it was a miracle cure for my Vicodin addiction. I feel so normal on it. Am I a fool????

Monty, although I can't answer your question- I am no stranger to what I detect as the "fear and concern" in your voice for sure... Maybe you should Make a new thread and post it under the same heading where you found this one- (under the need to talk section) and I'm pretty sure many people with experience will respond quickly. (Make sure you make the "topic heading" concise enough for everyone to know what your concern is at a quick glance.) Because with your question listed here, you may not get the answers you need from people who could have great suggestions. Take care and I hope you get the answers you seek, and the medical help you need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast