Results 1 to 24 of 24
Please Help, Need Info Fast, DR Won't repond (Not in office)
  1. #1
    wtfkatie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    51

    Default Please Help, Need Info Fast, DR Won't repond (Not in office)

    I went to the hospital today, I was having SEVERE withdrawls, I'm on methadone 100mg, it's been fine untill today.. I don't go back to the clinic untill thursday to pick up my 6 take homes. They gave me 2 xanax and 1 valium at the hospital. I told them I was on methadone, What I didn't tell them was I take 10-15 25mg benydrl a night JUST to get 10min-1hr sleep. Without it I get none. I've tried taking the reg dosage.. It does nothing... I know it isn't healthy to take so many.

    My question is, Is methadone + valium + xanax + beneydryl a lethal combo? Please keep in mind I am not a 30yr old, 5'7, 150lb female..

    I'm 18, 4'10 and 85lbs.. being my size, will that make an differwence in if it's lethal to me or not?

    I'm only 18, I don't want to die.. I just want to sleep!

  2. #2
    stephenw77 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wtfkatie View Post
    I went to the hospital today, I was having SEVERE withdrawls, I'm on methadone 100mg, it's been fine untill today.. I don't go back to the clinic untill thursday to pick up my 6 take homes. They gave me 2 xanax and 1 valium at the hospital. I told them I was on methadone, What I didn't tell them was I take 10-15 25mg benydrl a night JUST to get 10min-1hr sleep. Without it I get none. I've tried taking the reg dosage.. It does nothing... I know it isn't healthy to take so many.

    My question is, Is methadone + valium + xanax + beneydryl a lethal combo? Please keep in mind I am not a 30yr old, 5'7, 150lb female..

    I'm 18, 4'10 and 85lbs.. being my size, will that make an differwence in if it's lethal to me or not?

    I'm only 18, I don't want to die.. I just want to sleep!
    You should be fine but its the methadone that bothering you get help

  3. #3
    wtfkatie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephenw77 View Post
    You should be fine but its the methadone that bothering you get help
    The methadone is too weak for me, Every month I have to ask for a 10mg raise because my body becomes immune to it far too fast.. I have a blood test a few weeks ago for the trough & peak, The peak was extremely low, 102, And the trough was 216...My doctor looked at me and asked how many days I went without methadone.. I looked back and asked her if she was kidding. I take it everyday, as perscribed, and don't take more than i'm supposed so... She thought i was lying so I offered to dose in-house for a week so they can make sure i'm REALLY taking it..I did, did the blood tests again and got the same results, it may have gone up or down by 10 numbers but it was the same range.. I asked her to not accuse me of not-taking my meds again..I mean, I was a vicodin addict, WHY wouldn't i take my methadone? I sure as hell don't want to be sick....

  4. #4
    wtfkatie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    51

    Default

    One more thing - My body metabolizes my methadone dose (100mg) within 3-10 hours.. Does that mean it also metabolises every other pill I take? It seems like it would but I don't know..

  5. #5
    stephenw77 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6

    Smile Methadone has side effects too!!!!

    [QUOTE=stephenw77;186917]You should be fine with the small amount of Benzodiazapines (Valium,etc.). It is probably the Methadone dosing that is bothering you...Try spacing out your pills if you aren't already. Eating and trying to sleep on a regular schedule instead of when you feel like it can help too. Use caution when messing with Methadone dosing..it can kill you..Please don't underestimate it!! I still get reports of how loaded I acted When I was on Methadone over 2yrs. ago...Be good to yourself..Your worth it!!!!

  6. #6
    wtfkatie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    51

    Default

    [QUOTE=stephenw77;186947]
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenw77 View Post
    You should be fine with the small amount of Benzodiazapines (Valium,etc.). It is probably the Methadone dosing that is bothering you...Try spacing out your pills if you aren't already. Eating and trying to sleep on a regular schedule instead of when you feel like it can help too. Use caution when messing with Methadone dosing..it can kill you..Please don't underestimate it!! I still get reports of how loaded I acted When I was on Methadone over 2yrs. ago...Be good to yourself..Your worth it!!!!
    Mthadone does nothing for me exept takes away withdrawls..I got on it to keep me from other drugs (Like most other people, I don't praise people who get on it because they want to get high) Because for 1, if you want to get high GO GET HIGH. methadone won't do it, itll just BLOCK all highs..all in all they screw them self over because they lost 300$+ the paid for the detox, and when they go take another drug they wait for the high..It makes me laugh to be honest. I was a vicodin addict, Who am I to judge, right? I shouldn't, But the people who get on it for a high..that's just, stupid.

    as for eating and sleeping, i'm a vegan so I eat very healthy, take vitamins and such, But i can only sleep when my body tells me "Hey, you're tired, try to sleep" But i only sleep for 10min-1hr..with my normal dose (when it worked) i slept OK, Woke up a few times a night but could get back to sleep most of the time.
    Last edited by wtfkatie; 09-25-2007 at 01:01 AM.

  7. #7
    mpvt is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Canada.
    Posts
    2,649

    Default

    What dose of methadone are you as it sounds as though you are underdosed and not stable.I had to go to 400mgs a day when I first started methadone.
    Methadone mixed with any benzodiazepine is a danger as ones metabolizim is different day to day.
    People have died from their regular dose of methadone and valium,it's just to risky.You keep pulling the handle on the slot machine and your 3 skulls are gonna come up.Be careful everyone.....Dave

  8. #8
    wtfkatie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpvt View Post
    What dose of methadone are you as it sounds as though you are underdosed and not stable.I had to go to 400mgs a day when I first started methadone.
    Methadone mixed with any benzodiazepine is a danger as ones metabolizim is different day to day.
    People have died from their regular dose of methadone and valium,it's just to risky.You keep pulling the handle on the slot machine and your 3 skulls are gonna come up.Be careful everyone.....Dave
    100mg Is the current dose of mine.

    I've been in methadone matience 2 years, seems i have up uo my dose every month to stay out of withdrawls.

  9. #9
    steve863 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wtfkatie View Post
    I went to the hospital today, I was having SEVERE withdrawls, I'm on methadone 100mg, it's been fine untill today.. I don't go back to the clinic untill thursday to pick up my 6 take homes. They gave me 2 xanax and 1 valium at the hospital. I told them I was on methadone, What I didn't tell them was I take 10-15 25mg benydrl a night JUST to get 10min-1hr sleep. Without it I get none. I've tried taking the reg dosage.. It does nothing... I know it isn't healthy to take so many.

    My question is, Is methadone + valium + xanax + beneydryl a lethal combo? Please keep in mind I am not a 30yr old, 5'7, 150lb female..

    I'm 18, 4'10 and 85lbs.. being my size, will that make an differwence in if it's lethal to me or not?

    I'm only 18, I don't want to die.. I just want to sleep!
    methadone + xanax or valium is lethal.. especially at your weight lol.. 100 mg's and you cant' sleep? 100 mg's and i would sleep all day

  10. #10
    wtfkatie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve863 View Post
    methadone + xanax or valium is lethal.. especially at your weight lol.. 100 mg's and you cant' sleep? 100 mg's and i would sleep all day
    I took both xanax and valim, idk the doseages I found them around the house, I know they were my grandmothers who passed 2 years ago...soooo hopefully they weren't expired? I know the valium was 2.5 mg, it was orig 5mg but it was half of it. I was givin it sometime at the hospital, hell if i know when..

    I have a ETH-6 which = i get 6 take homes a weeek, I'm sure if i took 2 or 3 i'd fel fine, I've done it before but learned feeling icky one day is better than 3!

  11. #11
    mpvt is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Canada.
    Posts
    2,649

    Default

    I hope you learned a lesson about taking all your methadone in a couple days.I used to do this when I first started mmt.
    Are you stabilized on your dose????Be careful when you do get your methadone because your serum level will have dropped and you could get very sedated.
    STAY AWAY FROM BENZO"S WHILE TAKING METHADONE!!!! It's a death sentence...Good luck and let us know how your doing.....Dave

  12. #12
    no mo norco is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11

    Default its all a leathal combo!

    WTFKATIE, i feel for you and pray for you. your really heading in the wrong direction. i would give anything to be 18 again,start over straight again. im 50 now and look back at the last 25 yrs. as a waste. sad eh. stay on the course your on and you'll wake up at 50 and look back crying at what a waste it was, or worse , you just may not wakeup one day!! pull your self up, make an escape plan to freedom. the w/ds are hell but you'll have some amo to change your mind next time you want to score. i no you want to sleep, so did i, guess what, i slept 10 hours last nite ,its my 8th. day clean, woke up this morn. feeling 18 again, well not quite but you catch my drift.
    takeing this for that and that for this is a vicious circle, jump out now while your 18. the dam clinic is an addiction now eh. put your workboots on, its a bumpy road but it smoothes out. you have your whole life ahead of you , don't waste it!

  13. #13
    Normankay is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by no mo norco View Post
    WTFKATIE, i feel for you and pray for you. your really heading in the wrong direction. i would give anything to be 18 again,start over straight again. im 50 now and look back at the last 25 yrs. as a waste. sad eh. stay on the course your on and you'll wake up at 50 and look back crying at what a waste it was, or worse , you just may not wakeup one day!! pull your self up, make an escape plan to freedom. the w/ds are hell but you'll have some amo to change your mind next time you want to score. i no you want to sleep, so did i, guess what, i slept 10 hours last nite ,its my 8th. day clean, woke up this morn. feeling 18 again, well not quite but you catch my drift.
    takeing this for that and that for this is a vicious circle, jump out now while your 18. the dam clinic is an addiction now eh. put your workboots on, its a bumpy road but it smoothes out. you have your whole life ahead of you , don't waste it!

    My thoughts exactly. Methadone is a bad thing. You ever notice there is always usually one same person here on these boards that suggests methadone as a good thing. It may help the hardcore >>>>>> addict, but the regular pill popper doesnt and shouldnt be taking it to quit opiates. According to my doctor at UCSD hospital, one of the best in the country it is more addicting than most opiates. I dont know how much you were taking to get 100mgs of methadone, but I was a taking a ********************load of opiates and doing h and stabalised at 60mgs. Yeah I didnt sleep or adjust for almost a week to it, but I still adjusted and havent felt the need to go up or down in the last year and Im 27. I have wanted to for that small buzz you get when boosting dose, but just realised that it probably wasnt a good idea. Reguardless you will do what you are going to do, and maybe only looking for advice that you want to hear rather than what you should hear. So hopefully you will just adjust and start tapering. I would never want to be on this shiz for two years. I am dropping more and more and half way to being off this ********************. I cant wait to be clean.

  14. #14
    wtfkatie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpvt View Post
    I hope you learned a lesson about taking all your methadone in a couple days.I used to do this when I first started mmt.
    Are you stabilized on your dose????Be careful when you do get your methadone because your serum level will have dropped and you could get very sedated.
    STAY AWAY FROM BENZO"S WHILE TAKING METHADONE!!!! It's a death sentence...Good luck and let us know how your doing.....Dave
    I'm still doing it :/ I take all my 6 doses in 3 days, I can't help it - 100mg doesnn't cut it, I'm in withdrawl untill i take a full nother dose. If i tell them i take 2 in one day they're strip my take homes, I've never took them like this before, it worked fine at 100mg untill bout 3 weks ago when i had to start "double dosing". I asked for an incerase but 10mg is all they could do.

    the phyc doc there prescribed me restoril for sleep which when I got filled, found out it is also a benzo...i'm sure the doc knows that as hes the one prescribing my methadon so hopefully i'lll be ok

  15. #15
    wtfkatie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by no mo norco View Post
    WTFKATIE, i feel for you and pray for you. your really heading in the wrong direction. i would give anything to be 18 again,start over straight again. im 50 now and look back at the last 25 yrs. as a waste. sad eh. stay on the course your on and you'll wake up at 50 and look back crying at what a waste it was, or worse , you just may not wakeup one day!! pull your self up, make an escape plan to freedom. the w/ds are hell but you'll have some amo to change your mind next time you want to score. i no you want to sleep, so did i, guess what, i slept 10 hours last nite ,its my 8th. day clean, woke up this morn. feeling 18 again, well not quite but you catch my drift.
    takeing this for that and that for this is a vicious circle, jump out now while your 18. the dam clinic is an addiction now eh. put your workboots on, its a bumpy road but it smoothes out. you have your whole life ahead of you , don't waste it!
    I'm on a matience program, not street drugs. I can't withdrawl myself at this point in my life.

  16. #16
    wtfkatie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Normankay View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Methadone is a bad thing. You ever notice there is always usually one same person here on these boards that suggests methadone as a good thing. It may help the hardcore >>>>>> addict, but the regular pill popper doesnt and shouldnt be taking it to quit opiates. According to my doctor at UCSD hospital, one of the best in the country it is more addicting than most opiates. I dont know how much you were taking to get 100mgs of methadone, but I was a taking a ********************load of opiates and doing h and stabalised at 60mgs. Yeah I didnt sleep or adjust for almost a week to it, but I still adjusted and havent felt the need to go up or down in the last year and Im 27. I have wanted to for that small buzz you get when boosting dose, but just realised that it probably wasnt a good idea. Reguardless you will do what you are going to do, and maybe only looking for advice that you want to hear rather than what you should hear. So hopefully you will just adjust and start tapering. I would never want to be on this shiz for two years. I am dropping more and more and half way to being off this ********************. I cant wait to be clean.
    I would start tapering but i'd go back to using. my life right now is rediculous, I just found out I have multiple sclerosis, Found out because my arm went paralized (It came back now, but it was like that for a month) So they did a brain MRI and it showed stage 1 multiple sclerosis. So if i quit, i'd start taking pills for the pain and get adicted all over again. I can't repeat the procsess.

  17. #17
    Solonne is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    At the moment, Florida.
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Be strong, Katie. It sounds like you're really having an awful time. Do you have any kind of support group or counseling that might help? I can't even imagine what you're going through but my heart goes out to you.

  18. #18
    wtfkatie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    51

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Solonne View Post
    Be strong, Katie. It sounds like you're really having an awful time. Do you have any kind of support group or counseling that might help? I can't even imagine what you're going through but my heart goes out to you.
    Thank you, sweetheart. I think at this point in my life i'm going to continue methadone matience to keep me safe, safe from abusing drugs again. I do know methadone i sjust trading one addiction for another but it saves me money, keeps me safe and keeps me out of withdrawls when my dose is right. (Which should be tommorow at 6am) methadone helps so much with my pain, so staying on it is also preventing me from using opiods for pain for the disease. which is a HUGE plus..

  19. #19
    Solonne is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    At the moment, Florida.
    Posts
    85

    Default

    You know, from what I've read, addiction is a DISEASE. It's not a conscious choice or a way of life. Someone told me on one of my posts that I shouldn't feel guilty or bad for being dependent on my pain meds due to a disease. Since you get no high from methadone and taking anything else doesn't do anything while you're on methadone, wouldn't it be the same thing as me taking meds for my disease? Perhaps you're more DEPENDENT on the methadone than addicted. Maybe if you think about it that way, you'll stop beating yourself up over taking it. If your QUALITY of life is better on the methadone then at least the steps you're taking are in the right direction. Once you've retrained your mind to stop thinking pills every few hours and you can exist on your prescribed controlled dose of methadone, maybe then you can begin the process of weaning yourself off. It seems to me that you want to be clean so badly that you're trying to take giant steps instead of small steady steps forward. You have SO much on your plate right now. My heart and prayers are with you. Love & light

  20. #20
    wtfkatie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solonne View Post
    You know, from what I've read, addiction is a DISEASE. It's not a conscious choice or a way of life. Someone told me on one of my posts that I shouldn't feel guilty or bad for being dependent on my pain meds due to a disease. Since you get no high from methadone and taking anything else doesn't do anything while you're on methadone, wouldn't it be the same thing as me taking meds for my disease? Perhaps you're more DEPENDENT on the methadone than addicted. Maybe if you think about it that way, you'll stop beating yourself up over taking it. If your QUALITY of life is better on the methadone then at least the steps you're taking are in the right direction. Once you've retrained your mind to stop thinking pills every few hours and you can exist on your prescribed controlled dose of methadone, maybe then you can begin the process of weaning yourself off. It seems to me that you want to be clean so badly that you're trying to take giant steps instead of small steady steps forward. You have SO much on your plate right now. My heart and prayers are with you. Love & light
    The only pills i'm taking right now is restoril for sleep, I took xanax & valuim one day i ran ou of my methadone because i felt so ick from the withdrawls. I'll never do it gain because I DON'T want to get addicted to those and i don't want a dirty test and have my take homes stripped. my sleep meds are OK to take as long as my councelor @ the clinic has them documented, because they'll show up in my UA tests as benzos, so then she'll know it's the sleep meds giving it the positive.

  21. #21
    Solonne is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    At the moment, Florida.
    Posts
    85

    Default

    I'm so sorry you're having such a tough time. I can't even begin to tell you that I "know" what you're going though. I don't. All I can say is my heart is with you and I hope you can get back on track with your take homes. Keep posting and let us know how you're doing... stay strong! Love and light

  22. #22
    wtfkatie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solonne View Post
    I'm so sorry you're having such a tough time. I can't even begin to tell you that I "know" what you're going though. I don't. All I can say is my heart is with you and I hope you can get back on track with your take homes. Keep posting and let us know how you're doing... stay strong! Love and light
    Thanks hun, I'll see how the new dose holds me, I'm praying it's going to do good.

  23. #23
    mpvt is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Canada.
    Posts
    2,649

    Default

    Hi Katie: I really think you need to tell your councillor what your doing with your take homes.Taking all of them in 3 days is doing you no good as your in withdrawls for 3 days.Also when you stop taking methadone even for short periods your serum levels drops so when you get your take homes and you take 200mgs you could possibly stop breathing in your sleep.
    Have you ask for an increase as 100mgs is just into the range were other opiates stop working.I had to go to 400mgs when I first started.I stayed at 400 for 3 years and the last 2 years I have slowly come down to 220mgs.
    Like I said before,I used to take more methadone then I was prescribed as I was still in active abuse mode.Once you hit the right dose this abuse will stop abrutly.When I hit 250 mgs I stopped taking handfuls of morphine everyday.
    So you really need to tell your clinic what your doing.This happens alot so don't be embarrassed to tell them, they have heard it all.
    Once you hit the right dose you will settle down and start to work on your other problems..Good luck and let us know how you feel......Dave

    P.S. If you are at one of those clinics that won't raise your dose then it would be a good idea to find one that does......Dave

  24. #24
    mpvt is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Canada.
    Posts
    2,649

    Default

    Here's a very short piece of info on opiate and >>>>>> addiction......Dave


    Fact Sheet: Opioid Use Dependence: Medication Assisted Treatment

    Opioid Use and Dependence- How widespread is it?

    >>>>>>

    * According to the Office of National Drug Control Policy, in the year 2000 there were more than 977,000 >>>>>> dependent individuals in the United States. Drug Enforcement Administration indicate that >>>>>> is increasingly available at purer levels throughout the nation. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's (SAMHSA) 2001 National Household Survey on Drug Abuse reports that during the 1990's, >>>>>> incidence rates rose to a level not reached since the 1970's. The survey shows that an estimated 146,000 persons used >>>>>> for the first time in 2000.

    * In 2001, for the first time since SAMHSA's Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) data have been collected, the number of mentions of narcotic analgesics in emergency departments (approximately 99,000) exceeded the number of >>>>>> mentions (approximately 93,000). These data point to the fact that many prescription opioid drugs are now being abused by large numbers of people and are leading to a large number of emergency department admissions.

    * In 2002, there were 638,484 emergency department visits related to drug abuse, or 252 visits per 100,000 population. >>>>>> accounted for 37 visits per 100,000 or 15% of the total emergency department visits nationwide. From 1994 to 2001, emergency department mentions regarding >>>>>> increased 47% according to 2001 DAWN data.

    * >>>>>> treatment admission rates between 1992 and 2000 increased by more than 100% in 18 states. In 1992, no state had a rate higher than 250 per 100,000 population; by 2000 seven states had surpassed that rate, according to the 2000 Treatment Episode Data Set (TEDS).

    Prescription Opioids

    * Evidence from around the the country suggests that a significant percentage of patients in methadone programs are being treated for prescription opioid dependence. For example, Alaska estimates that there are 15,000 prescription opioid abusers in the state and that most methadone patients are not >>>>>>-addicted individuals. One opioid treatment program in southwest Virginia reported that 80% of the 292 people in outpatient treatment with methadone named Oxycontin as their primary drug of choice. According to SAMHSA's Center for Substance Abuse Treatment, in 2003, programs in Virginia and Kentucky reported that approximately 85% of admissions cite oxycodone as their primary drug of choice. According to the 2001 DAWN data, from 1994 to 2001, emergency department mentions of narcotic analgesics and narcotic analgesic combinations were the most frequently mentioned in drug-related emergency department visits in 2001, constituting 9% of all emergency room mentions (99,317). Mentions of these narcotic analgesics and combinations rose 44% from 1999 to 2001 and 21% from 2000 to 2001. Significant long-term increases in emergency department mentions of narcotic analgesics and combinations were found for hydrocodone and its combinations (up 131% since 1994), methadone (up 230%), morphine and its combinations (up 210%), oxycodone and its combinations (up 352%) and narcotic analgesics that were not specified (up 288 percent).

    One year, from 2000 to 2001, methadone mentions increased by 37% and oxycodone and its combination rose 70%. Unspecified narcotic analgesics rose 24%. Mentions of analgesics containing hydrocodone were statistically unchanged from 2000 to 2001, but were 41% higher than 1999.

    Opiate Use and Addiction- How is it treated?

    A variety of treatments are available for >>>>>> abuse and dependence:

    * Long- or short-term residential treatment in a therapeutic community involving counseling in a highly structured residential environment.

    * Outpatient programs emphasizing a range of behavioral counseling and psychotherapy.

    * Medication assisted treatment that uses agonist or partial medications such as methadone, LAAM, or buprenorphine to normalize brain chemistry, block the euphoric effects of opioids and relieve physiological cravings, and normalize body functions.

    * Use of opioid antagonists such as naltrexone, to block the effects of opioid drugs; often used to prevent relapse to opioid use in highly selected populations. While not considered formal treatment, self-help fellowships, such as Narcotics Anonymous and Methadone Anonymous, that utilize the "self-help" approach to abstinence can be used.

    Methadone Treatment

    Methadone treatment provides the patient who is opioid dependent with medication, health, social, and rehabilitation services that relieve withdrawal symptoms, reduce physiological cravings, and allow normalization of the body's functions. Methadone treatment has been available for over 30 years and has been confirmed effective for opioid dependence in numerous scientific studies.

    Moreover, in 1997, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' National Institutes of Health (NIH) Consensus Panel found the following concerning methadone treatment: "Of the various treatments available, methadone maintenance treatment, combined with attention to medical, psychiatric and socio-economic issues, as well as drug counseling, has the highest probability of being effective."

    Methadone treatment programs are staffed by professionals with medical, clinical, and administrative expertise. Patients receive medication from a health professional. Patients routinely meet with a primary counselor (social worker, caseworker, or certified substance abuse counselor), attend clinic groups, and access medical social services.

    Methadone Is Not A Substitute of One Drug for Another

    Methadone is not a substitute for opioids or any other short-acting opioid, and does not affect individuals in the same way. Methadone does not create a pleasurable or euphoric feeling; rather it relieves physiological opioid craving and is generally chosen by opioid-dependent individuals. Methadone analgesic properties last only from four to six hours. Methadone patients should not be prescribed medications for pain that contain opioid antagonists since the antagonists will precipitate withdrawal. According to the NIH Consensus Panel Report, methadone patients can be safely prescribed both opioid and non-opioid analgesics without antagonist properties.





    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Billie
    ARM-Maine

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22