Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By winged eagle
  • 1 Post By danae77
  • 2 Post By notime
  • 1 Post By mottam
Please help me, going to Detox this weekend & need advice ASAP!!!!!
    danae77 is offline New Member

Default Please help me, going to Detox this weekend & need advice ASAP!!!!!

Hi! After reading all the posts & making up my mind...I am going to start my detox this weekend! I take about 10-12 10/500 Hydrocodones daily for about 2 yrs. It has taken over my life & my $ b/c I buy them for $6 a pill on the street.
    I have read about Immodium & Zantac to help- what are the thoughts on these? I get what the Immodium is for (I am use to constipation w/ the Hydros, only use restroom every couple of weeks) but what is the Zantac for?
    I know I will need something to sleep b/c if I don't take a pill before bedtime, I can't sleep & my legs get restless which drives me nuts!! What can I use for that? Should I save a few Hydros for night time or will that just make withdrawals start all over again?
    I really need advice!!!
    Thank you so much for any help

winged eagle is offline Advanced Member

Hello Danea..
    Please look up the Thomas Recipe, it will help you get through the next few days.
    I don't know much about pills, my thing was >>>>>>, but they're all basically opiates, so expect about 5 days of hell and then things will start looking up.
    Immodium is in the Thomas Recipe, but not sure what the purpose of Zantac (sp) is.
    DO NOT TAKE ANYMORE OPIATES.
    That will only prolong the withdrawal, and it'll be futile.
    This forum will help you through it, just post when you can and keep us updated.
    As for sleep, in the Thomas recipe, it says you can take a sleeping aid, but ONLY for the first two or three days, or else you'll be substituting one addicton for another, and let me tell you, benzos are AWFUL to get over.

Just think of it as having a bad flu for a few days. It will get emotionally dark as well, but that's just the pills making a last grab at you.
    If you want this badly enough, you'll succeed.
    Good luck, keep us updated.

And no more pills!!
    iloerose likes this.

Delete delete delete!!!

Uh oh,, how do I delete?

I meant the text lol..

lol, I was worried I said something wrong! I told them I am done
    winged eagle likes this.

Sunny mom is offline Member

Zantac is for the stomach. Acid indigestion, that sort of stuff. OTC stuff...agree totally with Winged, do NOT take the pill you want to detox from FOR ANY REASON!! Try melatonin for sleep, or sleepy time tea...there is also an OTC product that many here have used, Hyland's Restless Legs...I have never used it, but give it a try.

Great! Thank you so much!

PatrickB is offline Member

One thing that I just thought of is that you could taper down the amount of hydro that you do but that would likely be pretty tough, again something that would probably be easier with someone elses help. Are you able to get like 2 or even 1 days off? What you could try is taper down as low as you can (you'll have to find something that works for you or find someone who's done it. I never actually tapered down much but i did try a 4 day off work sort of thing...i don't know what you schedule is like though. iF you work M-F for example you could find a week where you could maybe get thurs/friday or just friday if that's all you can get. Take your last dose the night before that first day (first day should be somewhat OK if not just take the dose in the morning). 4 days would be ideal it would be day 5 before you had to go back to work at which point you should at least feel a little better.

I don't read the forums on the weekend so good luck again.

Thank you all! I went and bought everything on the Thomas Recipe except for the Zantac b/c I forgot to write it down. Is that a major ingredient that I should go get before I start the process?

notime is offline Junior Member

Just remember that mental preparidness is just as important as preparing for the physical side of whats to come. Nothing to be scared of, just know that you are not going to feel like yourself for a while. You have to be mentally tough and just ride it out. This can be the one and only time that you ever had to go through this, good luck and God's speed.
    mottam and sdonna68 like this.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Danae: The zantac is for upset stomach. So tums will do whatever, it's not really necessary the important part like notime said is to be mentally prepared to beat this. The scary part is doing it. I'm sure you have everything necessary to start. Stay hydrated: Juice, water, gatorade. How are you doing? Post and let us know!

Peace,

Iloerose

mottam is offline Advanced Member

danae77:
    Welcome to the forum.
    notime raised a very important aspect of w/d to you. The physical symptoms, while very unpleasant, can be treated so they are tolerated. From my experience, what you need to be prepared for, is the emotional roller-coaster that you will be on.

Drug dreams, insomnia, depression (sometimes severe depression) mood swings/agitation, over all malaise. Be aware that what you will be feeling emotionally will end (like the physical symptoms). So many times I see people new to the forum, new to the rooms of NA that aren't prepared for the emotional aspect of getting and staying clean.
    I have found out, through expereince, that a support group is as important as the ingredients of the Thomas Recipe to get and stay clean.

I do not know if you are working your detox w/ friends, family, counceling, NA, etc. I wish you nothing but the best and ultimate success. PLEASE consider utilizing the literally hundreds of support groups out there
    filled with people who can relate to you, who you can trust and relate to, and can help you get a solid foundation for your new way of life.

In my prayers - Kindest Regards.
    mottam
    sdonna68 likes this.
    Persistency is consistency