Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
Percocet/ Vicodin Withdrawal Duration
    xcalibure is offline Junior Member

Default Percocet/ Vicodin Withdrawal Duration

Does anyone know how long the withdrawal from 6 to 8 Percocet or Vicodin (not both) per day for a little over a year is? I quit cold turkey last Thursday (one week today) and I still feel bad.

On another note, what should one do if they are having a painful medical concern but are afraid to see a doctor in fear that they will be treated unfairly for their own past actions, drug seeking, etc.? Not saying I want to get narcotics, I'm done with those, period but I dont want a serious problem thrown off as more drug seeking.

fkunorko is offline Member

first of all, congrats on making it your first week... according to what I have read, it should be real soon that you start feeling better. I myself have cut back from that same amount over the past few months and have been scared to completely quit...lately i'm more like 3or4 max per day now...I hate to how I get feeling after just 20 or so hours! it suckkkkkks! I can only imagine quitting from 8,10,15 or more per day! yikes!

I think the best way to go in to a doctor is to just have complete confidence in what you want/need...Dont go in there thinking or acting as if you had/have a problem with narcotics, people can always tell! so just having confidence and conviction that you are not a bad person.. thats the major thing..

Good job on the cutting back, getting of the narcotics isn't easy and everyone finds their own way. I was tired of living on them and not really living so I dropped them.

The problem with the doctors here is that they are all connected from the hospital to the two clinics in town. As soon as I walk in alarm s go off (lol, not really but let's just say I'm known by first name in almost all locations by the receptionist) and every doctor pulls my medical file off the servers there stored on and judge me before they enter the room especially if I use the word pain. The problem I'm having is reality serious for a guy but I wonder at the same time if it's withdrawal related, I don't know how but I heard you can have strange pain with kicking the habit.

chrish1 is offline Member

Xcalibure, congrats on your clean time. That is a HUGE accomplishment. In your situation, you may want to try an urgent care. Chances are it is just in your mind at this point. Of course, the mind can create physical symptoms also, but if you are in reasonably good shape and guessing you are pretty young, it is most likely nothing serious. Warning - Before you go into an urgent care or doctor make sure you have the wording ready saying you don't want a narcotic painkiller. You don't have to say anything beyond that, and they probably won't ask. Your addict self may be tempted to take the painkiller anyway, and your mind might try to convince you that you really need painkillers. This is very common in early recovery. Quitting is the easy part, now the mental part will tug at you, so make sure you are prepared. Put together some months of clean time, and you will begin to feel better, and you will get your life together. Also, make sure you have a good support system in place, and you may try a support group like NA. NA helped me to get 6 months clean time. I couldn't have done it without NA because like I said before the mental part is the tough part - On and off your mind will play cunning tricks on you to try to get you to use again. I'm not saying this to discourage you, but rather to prepare you, and I want you to know there IS happiness beyond pills. Hope that helps.

Chrish

quote:Originally posted by xcalibure

Good job on the cutting back, getting of the narcotics isn't easy and everyone finds their own way. I was tired of living on them and not really living so I dropped them.

The problem with the doctors here is that they are all connected from the hospital to the two clinics in town. As soon as I walk in alarm s go off (lol, not really but let's just say I'm known by first name in almost all locations by the receptionist) and every doctor pulls my medical file off the servers there stored on and judge me before they enter the room especially if I use the word pain. The problem I'm having is reality serious for a guy but I wonder at the same time if it's withdrawal related, I don't know how but I heard you can have strange pain with kicking the habit.
    Clean Date: 10/11/05

--There is light at the end of the tunnel--

Thanks for all the hopeful words and encouragement chrish1, it means a lot. I wonder as well if this isn't psychosamantic, maybe my body trying to trick me. I'll probably give it a few more days and see how I feel. As far as the pills crossing my mind, it really doesn't, maybe because it was my choice to quit and not being made or forced to. But it's still seven days so who knows what is in store for me.

Trust me, my friend xcalibure. I quit totally on my own decision also. The thoughts to use will come back. I know a lot of addicts through NA, and they always come back. It is better to know that they will come back and be vigilant rather than thinking we have it beat and being blindsided. Your mind will play trick on you - maybe not this week or next week, but sooner or later it will. It has happened to every single painkiller addict that I know that has some good clean time. Somewhere down the road the idea of using again will seem like a really good idea in your head. It won't come straight at you either - your mind will try to trick you into thinking it is a good idea. It will whisper things like oh, I can handle just using a few, or I'm not really an addict, or I really am in pain so I can use a few... etc. The OTC pain meds are just as effective in reality if you stagger tylenol and motrin every 2 hours - maybe even more effective. I had a sponser tell me that it was going to become a good idea to use again when I was about 30 days clean. I thought he was ****ing crazy, and I thought there was no way. Sure enough I came very close to relapsing around 45 days clean. You are doing really awesome to come this far already - Stay vigilant!

Chrish

Thanks for all the hopeful words and encouragement chrish1, it means a lot. I wonder as well if this isn't psychosamantic, maybe my body trying to trick me. I'll probably give it a few more days and see how I feel. As far as the pills crossing my mind, it really doesn't, maybe because it was my choice to quit and not being made or forced to. But it's still seven days so who knows what is in store for me.

boxerlicious is offline New Member

I've been on a five yr. binge, of percocet and co. (anything relative) My withdrawal for one day of not having it is uncontrollable sobbing, fury, lack of appetite, trembling,and just suffering in a way no one can feel unless they have been thru it as well. I tried to get off my anti anxiety that i was on for only six monthes, Klonopin, i stayed off it for 12 days and the witdrawals didnt stop, i was never sleeping, i was plain and simple sick as a dog throwing up all the time.
    Weaning ur way off doesnt really help.... You still need what ur physical stamina is used to. I know bec. last night just taking one percocet made me stay up all night.
    Im always terrified and i suffer constantly. I go to school and work in the 4th to largest commercial real estate firm.
    Should rehab be an option? What can they do for us there? What can doctors do?
    Im feeling as though i am sinking and nothing is getting better no matter how much stregnth i put into not taking a pill.
    I need help desparately.
    Warmest regards,
    Alexa

Does anyone know how long the withdrawal from 6 to 8 Percocet or Vicodin (not both) per day for a little over a year is? I quit cold turkey last Thursday (one week today) and I still feel bad.

On another note, what should one do if they are having a painful medical concern but are afraid to see a doctor in fear that they will be treated unfairly for their own past actions, drug seeking, etc.? Not saying I want to get narcotics, I'm done with those, period but I dont want a serious problem thrown off as more drug seeking.

Alexa

I don't think there is a right answer except for cold turkey. Any admitted adict knows that tapors and narcotic replacement doesn't work. We go through our tapor doses early and methadone and like drugs just get us in different trouble. Cold turkey isn't easy and anyone who says it is doesn't kn ow what their talking about but here are a few things I did to help get me through the withdrawals and make life a little easier.

1) Orange Juice-Don't ask why but it helps curve the physical craving for a couple of hours plus makes you a little healthier.

2) Energy Drinks-Red Bull and like help replace the energy the pain killers were making (at least for me), I used to stay up 20 hours a day with percocet so when I quit my energy was gone until I drank red bull.

3) Try a OTC weight loss pill (mini thins, ephedrine free formula) which will help keep off the extra weight you'll gain from snacking all the time plus mixed with the Red Bull you'll actually feel a little more energy.

4) Don't quit two things at once. Fix the main problem, the narcotics, then tapor off your anxiety medicine after a month of being clean.

5) Green Tea-Helps you detox your body with natural antioxidents a little faster. At night try a pepermint tea for some help relaxing and getting some sleep.

But remember nothing will get rid of all the physical cravings, these ideas will only make it a little easier. The biggest thing you can do to help yourself is trully be ready. Don't quit because someone wants you to, otherwise you'll be right back to your drug of choice until you are ready to quit on your own. Also keep some Ibuprofen and Tylenol PM handy for the tricks your mind will play on you with phantom pain and to help you sleep. LMK how it turns out.

8 Days clean and counting

Out of curiosity does anyone know how long it takes vicodin/percocet to leave your body? How long after you quit will you be able to pass a UA specifically looking for either?

Another question, if I ever take another pain killer again or "fall off the wagon" even once will I be readdicted to the pain killers and have to go through all of this again?

xcalibure, if you fall off the wagon chances are you will stay off the wagon for a while, maybe permanently. Each time we "fall off the wagon" it gets more difficult to quit. Most addicts who have gone back to take that one pain killer or "just a few" end up getting back to the same level they were taking before the relapse within 3 weeks of taking "that one pill." I don't know this from experience since I haven't relapsed and I've been clean for 6 months, but dozens of other addicts have told me this - this is probably part of the reason that I haven't relapsed. The mental part of quitting is much more difficult than the physical withdrawl. I remember the physical withdrawl, and it was no fun, but I still get some very strong cravings once in a while, and I almost relapsed just a week ago. So, be mentally prepared for the tricks your mind will play on you to try to get you to use again in the coming weeks/months. Hope that helps....

Chrish

Another question, if I ever take another pain killer again or "fall off the wagon" even once will I be readdicted to the pain killers and have to go through all of this again?

ScorpF4 is offline Member

Chrish,

whats up bro, u seem like a cool dude. I was wondering sense u seem to be a pretty strong-willed person, seeing that u quit using oxycontin(is that right?) after 5 or 6 years? Well anyways man tell me about what happens that "almost makes you take the painkillers again?" like tell me a story so i know...

Scorp - I appreciate your kind words. I took oxy, vicoden, tylenol 3, tylenol 4... pretty much anything I could get my hands on. Addiction is cunning and tricky, and it can strike when you least expect it. Quitting painkillers is the hardest thing I have ever done. My mind starts to tell me I can handle just one or just a few -it seems like a common theme among addict thinking. Or, my mind starts telling me that painkillers are justified because I really am in pain. Fact of the matter is regular tylenol staggered with motrin ever hour or 2 is just as effective. Or, my mind tells me to go to the Dr. and pick up some of that Ultram, which the pharms and doctors say isn't addictive - BS, I and many other people have developed an addiction to them. Or, I start thinking I can take them again if I just take "one every night around bed time." Well, that was the latest bout. There is a lady at work who had some percs a few months ago, and she offered them to me. I struggled for a couple weeks and got past it. Anyway, my mind started F-ing with me a couple weeks ago on it. I was under a lot of stress at work and I was tired - 2 major triggers to watch for. So, my mind started whispering that I should get those percs from her because I can handle just one a night - in reality this is BS, but your mind can be incredibly convincing in addiction. So, I struggled with it for several days. Then, finally I sent her an email asking about them. By the grace of God, she said she gave them away a month or 2 ago. After she told me that, the major cravings stopped, and they have not come back. That was the only big avenue I still had open, and it was key to get it closed. See, it is really important in early recovery to close all of your avenues or reservations OR you WILL relapse. I called my doctor and neurologist and closed those avenues because I knew having them open would make me relapse. See, now I don't have any wide open avenues, so it becomes much more difficult to relapse since there is more work and steps required, and I have time to think and put things in perspective every step along the way. I can still find avenues, but I closed the wide open ones. So, anyway, I celebrated another clean day today, and now I am 6 months and 10 days clean. I hope you and others can learn from my experience.

Chrish

sweetchikk05 is offline Banned

I have to agree with xcalibure, cold turkey is the only way, I know this because I just got out of rehab, if you are serious about quitting then you have to quit making excuses for yourself, and I mean that in no harsh way its just the truth I have experianced first hand what it is to truly want to be clean, I have went to na and aa meetings, if you cant quit on your own and if tapering off isnt working for you then try rehab seriously, they give you meds to help with your withdrawl sypmtoms, they counsel you through it and there ae others there for support that are going through the same problem, it worked for me and if it can work for me and all the other folks that were serios about quitting, it will work for you, I am an addict and I have no shame in addmitting it, I am powerless, you have to find your higher power and the frst step is addmitting that you are powerless over your addiction, being an addict is a disease many of us suffer with, if you are serious about wanting to quit then you have to take it one day at a time, and dont be ashamed to get help, us addicts that choose to get help are the ones who make it, I have met a lot of addicts during my stay in rehab and I have heard many horifying stories and the truth is, you will quit cold turkey if your seious, and dont make excuses, like I will get to sick if I do it cold turkey, or i need another drug to help me get off it, thats not true, I saw people kicking it hardcore and after 3-4 days they start to feel a lot better an after 21 days of intensive treatment, they dont even have the desire to use anymore, dont be afraid to admit that you are an addict powerless over your addiction, that is the first step and if you are serious about wanting to quit thats what you will do, you cant quit unless you really want to, and you can only do it for yourself, no one else, and let me tell you I have heard so many stories from recovering addicts and they say they are so much happier in their everyday life, they no longer need to be high or take pils to feel good, that natural good feeling will return to you over time and its the best feeling in the world, I wish all of you the best of luck and I hope you join us other addicts that are recovering, try to find some meetings in your area they are everywhere, narcotics anaoymous or aa, they both cover drugs and alcohol, even if you are using that day dont be ashamed to go, just find a meeting in your area and go, dont be shy they are all very welcoming and friendly, they dont look down on you even if you are still using, you can go and just listen, you dont even have to talk, I didnt talk at firat not until like my 6th meeting, believe me they help a great deal, folks there know exactly what your going through, I stongly recommened meeting to those of you who are serious about quiting, remember, meeting makers make it!!! Good Luck To All Of You, god bless

Liz ann

I need help! 11 days clean and counting but I'm in an impossible spot. My wife had a prescription filled for Vicodin for legitimate reasons and I'm having an incredibly hard time with them being in the house and her actions under the use of them. Her actions aren't bad or anything just reminds me of what it was like when I was on them. What can I do, I'm scared to relapse and don't know why after 11 days I want them so bad. Any help....

Xcalibure,

Does your wife know about your problem? If so, tell her to keep them out of site - hide them in a really good spot. I asked my wife to do that when I finally quit, and it helped a lot. When I was a week or 2, we flushed about 30 percs together.

Chrish

I need help! 11 days clean and counting but I'm in an impossible spot. My wife had a prescription filled for Vicodin for legitimate reasons and I'm having an incredibly hard time with them being in the house and her actions under the use of them. Her actions aren't bad or anything just reminds me of what it was like when I was on them. What can I do, I'm scared to relapse and don't know why after 11 days I want them so bad. Any help....

Xcalibure,

You really need to get those in a safe place, hidden from you. The temptation will be too strong. The obsession will build in you as long as you know they are obtainable. Trust me - I have a lot of clean time experience.

Chrish,

Yes she's well aware of my problem but gets severe headaches that nothing else helps with so her Dr prescribes her Vicodin for pain. She had them filled on Saturday and I made it all weekend without really even thinking about them and they were easy to get to, I just chose not to. Then this morning I have the overwhelming urge to grab the bottle and take two and no idea why.

Also how long can I expect pyschosamantic pain to continue, especially if it's localized in one area for a week at least. In other words when should I know longer blame addiction for it and get checked out?

X

Weird - I read your reply and replied, and somehow mine ended up before yours in the chain. See above:

Xcalibure,

You really need to get those in a safe place, hidden from you (she needs to hide them). The temptation will be too strong. The obsession will build in you as long as you know they are obtainable. Trust me - I have a lot of clean time experience.

--There is light at the end of the tunnel

What are your expierences on the second part? When do I know it's not some kind of withdrawal pain and know it's something to worry over?

I had all kinds of weird pains for 2-3 weeks. I almost ended up at emergency, thinking I was having a heart attack a couple times. My angelic wife talked me through it since she knows I'm a bit neurotic naturally - most addicts are. I guess it would depend on where your pain is.

What are your expierences on the second part? When do I know it's not some kind of withdrawal pain and know it's something to worry over?

It's an area guys fear having pain, and I'll leave it at that. Usually I have a high pain tollerence so most things I shrug off and this isn't severe pain just annoying and makes me worry.

I would probably see a doctor soon about that (if it doesn't go away in a few days), but make sure the doctor you see knows you are a recovering addict. Try tylenol/motrin staggered every 2 hours - actually works even better than narcotic painkillers for my pain. Before you go to a doctor, make sure you have a script ready in your head so that he/she doesn't prescibe any painkillers.

Chrish

Yeah, it's been about seven days, with a small break on Fri and Sat. I just don't want to look stupid if it's in my head.

X

Clean since 4/14/06 12:00am

Flushing percocets, i could never do that even if i knew i had to get rid of them, i would at least sell them to someone or give them to a friend that needs them..?

Is that so Scorp? When was the last time you sold painkillers instead of taking them.

quote:Originally posted by ScorpF4

Flushing percocets, i could never do that even if i knew i had to get rid of them, i would at least sell them to someone or give them to a friend that needs them..?

haha good point chirsh! but i have sold them b4

gnosticbeast is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by xcalibure View Post
    I have been taking Vicodin for only about two months. Originally for head/ear/jaw pain, but then just for the hell of it. I got up to about 12 per day for about one month. I am now weaning off, taking the least amount I can and still sleep and go to work, etc. I am down to about 2-4 per day. When I decreased from 10 to 2 per day, the withdrawal symptoms came on strong- muscle and bone pain, insomnia, and diarrhea- even with a 1 or 2 per day dosage. I also notice that my ability to drink alcohol has diminished with the withdrawal. For instance, I used to drink a 6-pack a night no problem, but now, after a couple of drinks I get nauseas.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I stick to 1-2 pills per day until the symptoms subsided? Or just quit altogether and suffer through a week or two of pains and not keeping food?
    Last edited by gnosticbeast; 05-05-2007 at 01:58 AM.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Unless you've had addiction problems before then you should be able to jump off now.2 months taking a weak opiate like vicodin shouldn't cause you any problems but everyone is different.I would think if you are going to feel bad then it should only last a few days.Good luck and hang in there, you can do it......Dave

Whocantell is offline New Member

Default thoughts?

I had major stomach surgery a few years ago and have been on and off vicodin/percocet since. The real problem started last year and I found I wasn't taking it every day until a few months ago and even then I would go off for a few days but then go back. Now it has been almost three days and honestly, I have bouts of pretty bad stomach pain, which the drugs don't help much, and the only other side effect (if the first one is and not just my ulcer come back bec I am having other symptoms of that, which is why I cannot take ibuprofen or drink OJ) is some digestive issues and insomnia.

Plus to add insult to injury (and irony) I am out of town and during my absense someone forged a prescription with my name for some painkiller (my identity was stolen earlier this year along with some legitimate prescriptions but none for anything like that, those were for Nexium) and that's freaky but may be a sign from God that I have get my &*(( together. Generally, I feel ok and read the symptoms start six hours after you stop taking it and continue for up to two weeks but decline after 72 hours, and I am just about at that point.

Any advice would be welcomed, oh one side effect not listed elsewhere is I am EXHAUSTED and I would have thought the narcotic would have made me MORE tired.

Lastly, how long until this stuff is totally out of my system? Will green tea really help?

Thank you.

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast