Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
Percocet/ Vicodin Withdrawal Duration
    thekodewarrior is offline New Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Whocantell View Post
    I had major stomach surgery a few years ago and have been on and off vicodin/percocet since. The real problem started last year and I found I wasn't taking it every day until a few months ago and even then I would go off for a few days but then go back. Now it has been almost three days and honestly, I have bouts of pretty bad stomach pain, which the drugs don't help much, and the only other side effect (if the first one is and not just my ulcer come back bec I am having other symptoms of that, which is why I cannot take ibuprofen or drink OJ) is some digestive issues and insomnia.

Plus to add insult to injury (and irony) I am out of town and during my absense someone forged a prescription with my name for some painkiller (my identity was stolen earlier this year along with some legitimate prescriptions but none for anything like that, those were for Nexium) and that's freaky but may be a sign from God that I have get my &*(( together. Generally, I feel ok and read the symptoms start six hours after you stop taking it and continue for up to two weeks but decline after 72 hours, and I am just about at that point.

Any advice would be welcomed, oh one side effect not listed elsewhere is I am EXHAUSTED and I would have thought the narcotic would have made me MORE tired.

Lastly, how long until this stuff is totally out of my system? Will green tea really help?

Thank you.
    Whocantell, the stuff (mainly the ingredients Hydrocodone, Oxycodone) are typically out of your system in 3-5 days (For urinalysis, that is) The frequency/quantity usually affects the time - if you take the medication as prescribed you will not recevie the addiction sensation, and alternatively the drugs can be out of your system in as few as 24 hours. Now some may disagree with this but I and and a cancer sufferer who are in the medical field and have used these drugs for pain management have tested this with a lab.

Now, to talk about your other side effect of withdrawl you can go to http://www.addictionwithdrawl.com and you will find that exhaustion is actually on the list of symptoms. Be strong and you will beat this.

For a tid-bit about me, I would chew 80mg OxyContin 8 times a day. I quit cold and was good to go physically after 3 days, but mentally it was about a month. I moved away from the temptation and it helped me a lot. But now, being a purple heart wearer and having many surgical interventions in my back pocket; the pain has returned. I have a wonderful woman who locks up and controls my intake. I told her of my past and present and asked for her help. Rather than deserting me - she now is my physician and I do love her very much for all that she does.

Good luck to all of you above

Semper Fi...Farewell and following seas...Aim High...Hoo-Hah (Just in case there are other former military types on this board!) I know I forgot the Coast Guard...for a damn good reason too!!! LOL

nurseAlissa is offline New Member

Is it easy for someone that is addicted to a drug, make themselves believe there not that bad becuase there withdrawl symptoms arent as bad as some of the others on here, or I may not take up to 12 a day like some others, i supposei wondered that with my mom whos a struggling alcoholic, i mean theres no certain criteria to make u fit in the category. I think i have been taking painkillers atleast 4xs a wk since september and i assume the more i take the more more i will want to take more and I will build up a immunity to take more, is it safe to say that even tho my withdrawl isnt like completely feeling like im gonna die yet, that it can, and that even tho i dont totally feel that way, i shouldnt ignore that if i spend almost all day thinking about them, then i must have a problem? Im rambling on cuas i took pills tonight of course and i feel si ck and my breathing is even slow, and i will not feel like taking any more tomorrow, but i will still prob. pop them tomorrow

Whocantell is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by thekodewarrior View Post
    Whocantell, the stuff (mainly the ingredients Hydrocodone, Oxycodone) are typically out of your system in 3-5 days (For urinalysis, that is) The frequency/quantity usually affects the time - if you take the medication as prescribed you will not recevie the addiction sensation, and alternatively the drugs can be out of your system in as few as 24 hours. Now some may disagree with this but I and and a cancer sufferer who are in the medical field and have used these drugs for pain management have tested this with a lab.
    I have been taking more than was prescribed for a while now and was given a drug for pain (Nubain) whose side effects include bringing on the w/d for someone addicted to opiates so I am pretty sure I am. Not to be gross my the main symptoms I experiece are fatigue, stomach pain and diarreah (sp?) and the last is the worst and probably leaves me more tired. If I can make it past three or four days I think I will be able to do it but that is hard. Plus I heard the drugs stay in your system for weeks? Now I have been taking this for about a year and it started innocently enough, my ulcers were huge and really painful and the surgery was awful. I hate needing this so much.

Twinklegirl is offline New Member

Question Vicodin Withdrawal

A little over a month ago I used Clonidine to help with the withdrawal systems of Vicodin Addiction. I was taking about 20 10mg pills a day for about 2 years. The Clonidine helped with the withdrawal systems (I took them for 4 days) but I still feel very weak, fatigued, achy, itchy, and just plain ucky (no other way to say it. I know longer crave the Vicodin except that I know it would make me feel good again. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes your body to feel well again? I have asked several people and they have said anywhere from 3 to 6 months. Is that been the experience of anyone else?

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Becareful with the Ultram as it is not an opiate but does act on some of the opiate receptors.Withdrawls from Ultram (tramadol) is terrible and about the same as withdrawls from any other opiates.Also you need to watch your dosing as to much Ultram can cause seizures.So be careful and always get your meds from your doctor......Dave

Siddhartha07 is offline Junior Member

About 13 weeks...

AddictedNH is offline New Member

What???? 13 weeks?? I read more like 2-3 weeks for Hydrocodone. Someone who is consistently abusing OXYcodone (Percocet, Oxycontin, etc.), vs. someone using HYDROcodone (Vicodin, Norco, etc.), is there a difference in the level of addiction as far as the withdrawal symptomatology? Also, is it true that oxycodone, although much stronger, does not last as long as hydrocodone, assuming if one destroys the extended release layer of Oxycontin, which is usually the case anyway when it's abused.

Thanks...

holly rox is offline New Member

Default vicodin withdrawal

Has anyone tried suboxone?

mikeyh is offline Member

Xcal,,you doing great dude..wish i was where you are now..i just started WDS no sleep lastnight,man i feel bad,didnt work today cause weather was so bad,,it will get better anytime for ya dude...i havent been out of the house in 2 days,,but feeling just a little better this morning,not sure why..i was taking about 15 percs,,oc when i could get it also..you keep it up buddy you are doing great,,>>

tudor112 is offline New Member

Default recovering teen addict

I'm 18 years old and have been a addict of percocet for almost 2 years now. I finally made the decision to quit taking them about 3 weeks ago and i'm finally getting over the physical withdrawal symptoms of them. However, i have heard that depression can be a symptom of withdrawal as well and i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem because i think i am depressed. I'm very worried about this considering it is affecting my daily life but i'm nervous to tell my doctor about this problem i had. Will this go away with time and if so, then how long might it take for a sense of normalcy to come back to my psychological well being?

TraderJoe is offline New Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by xcalibure View Post
    Does anyone know how long the withdrawal from 6 to 8 Percocet or Vicodin (not both) per day for a little over a year is? I quit cold turkey last Thursday (one week today) and I still feel bad.

On another note, what should one do if they are having a painful medical concern but are afraid to see a doctor in fear that they will be treated unfairly for their own past actions, drug seeking, etc.? Not saying I want to get narcotics, I'm done with those, period but I dont want a serious problem thrown off as more drug seeking.

Hello,
    Your very strong to be able to quit cold turkey like that, I am going thru the same thing with percocet. I have read it is very dangerous and can be deadly to go thru severe withdrawls. Every sight i have read about detoxing makes it seem like there is no way out! every clinin/withdrawal treatment center costs so much. and I barely have enough to pay for food daily so thats out of the question. the only thing i would sudgest to you is not to get on methodone! thats stuff is like herion. my mother is on it And will die if she doesnt go to the clinic every week. If you decided to get it you should only tAKE IT FOR 3/4 days tops. 4 days is suposably the time it will take for withdrawals to stop.i have taken methodone before and it was nice to feel normal for once, not in pain, not withdrawling, not high, just normal. I feel very helpless. My withdrawals are so severe, and anyoe to say i am whing has never felt percocet/morphine withdrawals. I have been on it for 2 years now. I feel my only way out is f*****g ending it sometimes.(that is not a cry for help so u can call authorities, i am not going to do it, i am just talking) you seem like you are strong willed and I hope you stick by it and get releived of this horrible drug. I believe the goverment makes it so hard to get off because they make money off of it. Thats why withdrawal and rehabs are o expensive. there are plenty of docs. on it that have facts.
    somebody email me please if they have ANYTHING that would help me. I am very young, i need help. my name is Ashly email is johnnyappleseed5@live.com
    Last edited by TraderJoe; 04-27-2008 at 08:42 AM.

Default is there a difference for the withdrawals from oxycodone to hydocodone?

Quote Originally Posted by AddictedNH View Post
    What???? 13 weeks?? I read more like 2-3 weeks for Hydrocodone. Someone who is consistently abusing OXYcodone (Percocet, Oxycontin, etc.), vs. someone using HYDROcodone (Vicodin, Norco, etc.), is there a difference in the level of addiction as far as the withdrawal symptomatology? Also, is it true that oxycodone, although much stronger, does not last as long as hydrocodone, assuming if one destroys the extended release layer of Oxycontin, which is usually the case anyway when it's abused.

Thanks...

Yes, there is A level of addiction. the higher the qnty or milligrams the higher the withdrawals. lartabs and vicoden are not so bad but are still severe. percocet is higher of course, then theres morphine and oxycontin 80 wich is like herion. To anyone i would not sudgest getting off pain killers with any type of methodone. You'll just be stuck on something worse.

is anyone awake right now? i really need to ralk to someone. Anyone who is going thru this? I don't really have friends or family left. I am 19 yrs old, just need a ear.

Ashly

Default advise

Quote Originally Posted by nurseAlissa View Post
    Is it easy for someone that is addicted to a drug, make themselves believe there not that bad becuase there withdrawl symptoms arent as bad as some of the others on here, or I may not take up to 12 a day like some others, i supposei wondered that with my mom whos a struggling alcoholic, i mean theres no certain criteria to make u fit in the category. I think i have been taking painkillers atleast 4xs a wk since september and i assume the more i take the more more i will want to take more and I will build up a immunity to take more, is it safe to say that even tho my withdrawl isnt like completely feeling like im gonna die yet, that it can, and that even tho i dont totally feel that way, i shouldnt ignore that if i spend almost all day thinking about them, then i must have a problem? Im rambling on cuas i took pills tonight of course and i feel si ck and my breathing is even slow, and i will not feel like taking any more tomorrow, but i will still prob. pop them tomorrow

adiction is a mental and physical addiction. sometimes the mental addiction is worse. i sudgest that you should stop before it gets worse. A lot of people think because it's a pill or prescription, that it's not as bad as other drugs. but in my oppinion it is worse because of the withdrawals. A lot of people go into denial aout pain pills, just like any other dug.

mommy3 is offline Member

Default help me please

Ive been an addict for about 10 years...I have 3 small children, Ive been through this time and time again...I cannot let my husband find out or I will lose everything, my beautiful children, my house, my life. Im about a day and a half through detox and I cannot handle it, Im home by myself with my children, Im crying uncrontrollably, sweats, diarhea, emotions flying everywhere, I barely can get up to feed my children....I feel like I'm fighting a battle with the devil and losing. Help me please.

paranon is offline New Member

Thumbs up Coping

Quote Originally Posted by mommy3 View Post
    Ive been an addict for about 10 years...I have 3 small children, Ive been through this time and time again...I cannot let my husband find out or I will lose everything, my beautiful children, my house, my life. Im about a day and a half through detox and I cannot handle it, Im home by myself with my children, Im crying uncrontrollably, sweats, diarhea, emotions flying everywhere, I barely can get up to feed my children....I feel like I'm fighting a battle with the devil and losing. Help me please.
    I am exactly where u r I started taking them 6 months ago(vic) and I quit 2 days ago. I feel extremely depressed and irritable and I have 3 small children and it is a struggle to do anything but I can fight this for them.

JUSTINED is offline New Member

I Have Tried To Qite Cold Turkey By The Third Day That Was It All I Could Take Had To Fill Script By The End Of The Night Had Taken 4 The Next Day 4 Again And Then Just To Clean The Living Room Yesterday 6 Today So Far 3,perc 10,i Have Decided The Only Way To Stop And Still Be Able To Take Care Of My Family Is To Taper Off Slowly However Idk What Is A Safe Decline And To Still Be Able To Function In Everyday Life...still Have Children To Take Care Of And I Have Decided 4 Is Better Than 10/12 A Day ....really Dont Wanna Take Them Anymore But Cant Handle The Severe Withdrawl Effects Makes Me Very Weak (i Believe From Diareah,) However I Have Started Taking Vitamins To Help With The Loss Of Potasium During This Time . I Just Wana Know If Any One Know What Is A Good Amount To Taper Down On A Weekly/monthly / Daily Basis This Seems To Be My Biggest Problem

csquared is offline New Member

Default In too deep

I have been taking Vicodin for about eight years now, every day for the past five. I thought I was okay, just taking my script for about three each day but about a year ago things got out of control. My doctor stopped prescribing them for me so I ventured out on my own to find them. I now have access to almost unlimited amounts and in the past year I went from taking no more than five or six daily to depending on at least 12-15 just to function normally.

I am a young mother of four children. I have three of them living with me. I take care of them but them, along with my likewise dependent fiance, are the only thing I care about other than Vicodin.

We make good money but spend close to $3000 a month on our little "happy" pills. We live in an icky house, have only one vehicle, have used furniture, and my fiance and I sleep on the living room floor on an air mattress. We live for the pills and in turn have no life.

Last night we talked about our problem but we are having trouble with how to do it. We called places, everything is so expensive. We have cut back but keep falling into old patterns. When I cut back, nothing gets done in the house, I sleep almost constantly during the day but can't sleep at night, I am irritable, in horrible pain, and just plain sick. I have uncontrollable muscle spasms, hot and cold flashes, and all the rest of the symptoms, including a sense that things are not real (I can walk outside and feel like I'm in a dream). And speaking of dreams...in the past year, about 50% of the dreams I have when I sleep involve vicodin and how to get it or if someone is trying to steal it from me or not having enough, etc.

What a mess I'm in, eh? As far as cutting back...the best thing that I have found is taking say 8 the first day, then 10 the next day, then 7, then 9, then 6, then 8, etc. I found this works the best because the second day is always worse for me and if I up the amount the second day I am able to cut back more the third day. I have actually gotten down to about 5 per day and still been able to function fully. Enough sleep and low stress helps too. The days I get 4 or less hours of sleep, I depend on more to get me through the day which starts my pattern all over again.

I am now actively searching for professional help for both my fiance and myself. We are both ready to start REALLY LIVING again!
    Last edited by csquared; 05-09-2008 at 10:28 AM.

hopefulgirl is offline Member

Good morning everyone, this is the morning of day 5 for me & my withdrawals from vicodin, i still feel sick at my stomach, what do ya'll think of me taking peto bismol for that? i feel much better than i did 3 days ago for sure....anyway, just trying to make it one day at a time, i am a strong person & i know i will be the me i was b4 i started taking this ******************** 3 months ago, please keep me in ya'lls prayers..........thanks to everyone who has helped me through this

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulgirl View Post
    Good morning everyone, this is the morning of day 5 for me & my withdrawals from vicodin, i still feel sick at my stomach, what do ya'll think of me taking peto bismol for that? i feel much better than i did 3 days ago for sure....anyway, just trying to make it one day at a time, i am a strong person & i know i will be the me i was b4 i started taking this ******************** 3 months ago, please keep me in ya'lls prayers..........thanks to everyone who has helped me through this

Glad to see you are feeling better. Day five is a big day. You should start seeing obvious little improvements now each day. It will be baby steps but soon you will wake up one day and just say WOW!! I feel great!! I know you are looking forward to that. You deserve it ... you have hung in there and fought hard.

There is nothing wrong with taking some Pepto. It will likely help your stomach. It is good for the stomach for it just being upset and not having bathroom issues. I would go for it. We are all keeping you in our prayers. You continue to pray too. IT WORKS. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by csquared View Post
    I have been taking Vicodin for about eight years now, every day for the past five. I thought I was okay, just taking my script for about three each day but about a year ago things got out of control. My doctor stopped prescribing them for me so I ventured out on my own to find them. I now have access to almost unlimited amounts and in the past year I went from taking no more than five or six daily to depending on at least 12-15 just to function normally.

I am a young mother of four children. I have three of them living with me. I take care of them but them, along with my likewise dependent fiance, are the only thing I care about other than Vicodin.

We make good money but spend close to $3000 a month on our little "happy" pills. We live in an icky house, have only one vehicle, have used furniture, and my fiance and I sleep on the living room floor on an air mattress. We live for the pills and in turn have no life.

Last night we talked about our problem but we are having trouble with how to do it. We called places, everything is so expensive. We have cut back but keep falling into old patterns. When I cut back, nothing gets done in the house, I sleep almost constantly during the day but can't sleep at night, I am irritable, in horrible pain, and just plain sick. I have uncontrollable muscle spasms, hot and cold flashes, and all the rest of the symptoms, including a sense that things are not real (I can walk outside and feel like I'm in a dream). And speaking of dreams...in the past year, about 50% of the dreams I have when I sleep involve vicodin and how to get it or if someone is trying to steal it from me or not having enough, etc.

What a mess I'm in, eh? As far as cutting back...the best thing that I have found is taking say 8 the first day, then 10 the next day, then 7, then 9, then 6, then 8, etc. I found this works the best because the second day is always worse for me and if I up the amount the second day I am able to cut back more the third day. I have actually gotten down to about 5 per day and still been able to function fully. Enough sleep and low stress helps too. The days I get 4 or less hours of sleep, I depend on more to get me through the day which starts my pattern all over again.

I am now actively searching for professional help for both my fiance and myself. We are both ready to start REALLY LIVING again!

Sorry you guys are having such a hard time. It's tough when you have got to where you all are at. You have a long row to how sort to speak. But you have taken the first step which is the hardest .... realizing that this behavior has to stop. Your lives are on the line ... both yours and your childrens. That has to be motivation enough. If one won't do it for their children then I don't know what to say.

Recovery has to come first. It has to come before a new house, new furniture or anything. You are spending $3000 a month on BS. And wasting away in the process. I would suggest at this point that you probably need some help with this. It would be optimistic to say that you can do this cold turkey. Mabe you can ... I don't know. I think you probably need help.

I would suggest going online and looking at www.suboxone.com. There are lists of drs available in your zip code who will prescribe Suboxone that will stop all w/ds and allow you to work and feel normal beginning with day one. It's expensive, but not as expensive as what you are spending now. Forget the furniture and get healthy. That is my advice. I will be glad to share more about Suboxone therapy if you like. You can do it at home with no rehab. That would seem to work best for you guys with where you are at right now. Let me know if I can help further. Good luck and God bless.

csquared is offline New Member

Robert...

Thanks so much for the info. There is one place that is less than ten miles away and over 300 doctors within 20 miles. I called the first place and got some good info but I would have to stay for five days. I will call around and if that is my best option I'm going to go for it...just have to come up with some money fast! Again, I truly appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by csquared View Post
    Robert...

Thanks so much for the info. There is one place that is less than ten miles away and over 300 doctors within 20 miles. I called the first place and got some good info but I would have to stay for five days. I will call around and if that is my best option I'm going to go for it...just have to come up with some money fast! Again, I truly appreciate your help.

That's a crock. You don't have to stay for five days. You need to watch some of these drs who prescribe suboxone. They are money thieves. Here is the deal. First you have to be in W/Ds when you take your first dose or it will put you into BAD W/Ds immediately. So you will have to go about 1 1/2 days with no opiates for it to work the best. Then you may have to spend the afternoon with a dr when they give you your first dose, and then they will send you home with enough for a week or two. When you go back and are doing ok they will give you a script for enough for a month. Don't go to someone who is just out to take your money. Call another location. Make them tell you what I have said or don't mess with them. Like you said, there are lots of drs you can see. After you find a good dr I will tell you how to take Suboxone for a short time, have no W/Ds at all, and stop the Suboxone after a month or maybe a little longer and not have to spend a fortune. I did it after being lots worse than you. I know how to do this right. Stay in touch and let's do this the right way. God bless.

Some of these drs will also want to give you huge doses of Suboxone. That isn't necessary either. They must make $$$ off the script or else they don't know how it works. I did this on 8mg a day and was off everything in one month. Don't let them give you 24mg or any nonsense like that. Just talk to me through this and I can help you do this without spending so much and still getting clean quickly, with no W/Ds. Let me know how this search is going for you.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 05-09-2008 at 04:59 PM.

GottaStop is offline New Member

Hey everyone,

First off, I would like to seriously thank everybody who has contributed to this thread. It helps immensely to know that there are other people out there going through the same things that I am, quite possibly worse things than I am. I think one of the hardest parts of withdrawal is the anxiety of being alone, with nobody understanding what you're going through. This kind of interaction is so important, especially if you're in a situation like mine where you absolutely cannot afford to have your family, friends, coworkers or girlfriend find out about your addiction.

Long story short; I started taking painkillers 6 years ago, never with a prescription, so it was strictly recreational from day one. Primarily Vicodin, but I've also dabbled in Percocet, Oxycontin, etc.

During those 6 years I have kicked it several times. My bouts of sobriety have lasted anywhere from a couple months to a year or two at a time, but each time I have relapsed. I think I convinced myself that I was not actually an "addict" since I was able to quit cold turkey so many times. This clearly was not the case. Now I realize that I was not quitting for myself, I was quitting for someone else.

A week ago It got the worst it's ever been; around 20 10mg Vics a day. That's when I came to my own crashing realization that this needed to stop. No longer did the positive effects of the drug outweigh the negative effects that it was having on my life both physically and mentally, as well as socially and financially.

After reading several things around the internet saying that gradually waning off your dosage will make the withdrawal symptoms less severe, that's what I decided to do. But now, a week later, I'm down to 2-4 pills a day, which is respectable, but I want that number to get to 0. Oh and by the way, tapering off DOES NOT help ease the withdrawal symptoms. I've been experiencing every symptom under the sun for the past week.

The thing that I am most afraid of is not having the pills just in case i DO need them. For the past week, the knowledge that they were there if necessary is what has kept me going, but now my supply is almost out and I don't know if I'm ready to face the world without a pocket full of pills. I think this is part of the mental trickery associated with addiction and withdrawal. I tell myself that I'm doing good because I'm taking less, but the truth is I am still relying on them, even if it's just knowing that they're there for me.

Does anybody have any advice for me? If not, it's cool. Just by reading this thread today, you have all already helped me greatly and I hope you are all still doing well with your sobriety. Thanks for reading.

greenday is offline Member

If you are down to 2-4 pills a day, it's probably time to jump off completely. It is not going to be easy, but it WILL be worth it. You can convince yourself to be a 2 pill a day hanger-on-er for life, but you know you will have to get through that week of hell eventually. Be strong, get off and live a clean life. It's so much better on the flip side. There are tons of people on this forum to run to for help if you feel weak. Keep posting and you will see! Good luck and best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaStop View Post
    Hey everyone,

First off, I would like to seriously thank everybody who has contributed to this thread. It helps immensely to know that there are other people out there going through the same things that I am, quite possibly worse things than I am. I think one of the hardest parts of withdrawal is the anxiety of being alone, with nobody understanding what you're going through. This kind of interaction is so important, especially if you're in a situation like mine where you absolutely cannot afford to have your family, friends, coworkers or girlfriend find out about your addiction.

Long story short; I started taking painkillers 6 years ago, never with a prescription, so it was strictly recreational from day one. Primarily Vicodin, but I've also dabbled in Percocet, Oxycontin, etc.

During those 6 years I have kicked it several times. My bouts of sobriety have lasted anywhere from a couple months to a year or two at a time, but each time I have relapsed. I think I convinced myself that I was not actually an "addict" since I was able to quit cold turkey so many times. This clearly was not the case. Now I realize that I was not quitting for myself, I was quitting for someone else.

A week ago It got the worst it's ever been; around 20 10mg Vics a day. That's when I came to my own crashing realization that this needed to stop. No longer did the positive effects of the drug outweigh the negative effects that it was having on my life both physically and mentally, as well as socially and financially.

After reading several things around the internet saying that gradually waning off your dosage will make the withdrawal symptoms less severe, that's what I decided to do. But now, a week later, I'm down to 2-4 pills a day, which is respectable, but I want that number to get to 0. Oh and by the way, tapering off DOES NOT help ease the withdrawal symptoms. I've been experiencing every symptom under the sun for the past week.

The thing that I am most afraid of is not having the pills just in case i DO need them. For the past week, the knowledge that they were there if necessary is what has kept me going, but now my supply is almost out and I don't know if I'm ready to face the world without a pocket full of pills. I think this is part of the mental trickery associated with addiction and withdrawal. I tell myself that I'm doing good because I'm taking less, but the truth is I am still relying on them, even if it's just knowing that they're there for me.

Does anybody have any advice for me? If not, it's cool. Just by reading this thread today, you have all already helped me greatly and I hope you are all still doing well with your sobriety. Thanks for reading.

Keeping pills around, "just in case I DO need them" is a reservation. A reservation is a relapse about to happen. You can't get to second base as long as you keep one foot on first. This is a very simple deal. No one said it's easy, but it's simple. Read on this forum about every single person that has stopped taking RX opiates. They run to the bathroom, they have RLS, they are depressed, they can't sleep .... it's the price we pay for the mistakes we have made. But if you want to stop then you throw the rest of your security blanket out the window and make a commitment to YOURSELF. You even said you did this unsuccessfully in the past because you did it for someone else. That is so true for most all of us. But until you get rid of the pills, pay the price and get it over with you won't stop. Dropping your dose will last until something happens. Then you will use again in volume. It happens to everyone who goes the route you have chosen. You either have to go all the way and STOP or just go ahead and gobble up all of your pills and be done with it. We are here to help you if you make the decision to quit. Sure wish you would. Don't mean to sound harsh, but that is what it takes for us all. This is life and death that we are talking about here. It's not a game. I wish you the best of luck at getting clean. God bless.

Thank you both for your words of encouragement, you really helped to put it into perspective for me. You're absolutely right about me needing to get my foot off first base if I ever want to reach second.

The past 36 hours or so have been a living hell, as you can all relate to, but it's something that needs to be done. I just hope that the thought of greener grass and a light at the end of the tunnel will be enough to keep me going.

By the way, it really sucks to go through this while working full time, having to act normal and speak eloquently while you feel like you're dying.

Default Gotta Stop

All right!!! It sounds now like you have made the decision to do something about this. You can make it. Just hang in there. It does feel like we are going to die, but we won't. You are on the verge of actually being alive again. Keep that thought in front of you. You won't have to lie to the people in your life anymore or to yourself. Keep us posted how you are doing. Good luck and God bless.

Blessed365 is offline New Member

I just wanted to tell you that you are definately not alone...your story is just like so many others. My heart goes out to you, I was addicted for 10 years. I've been clean for 2 years now! It can be done. It may be cheesy, but I'm proud of you! You should be proud of yourself...you've done the hardest part already. The whole bases theory was a huge epiphany...thanks Robert! I may have to use that one When I finally stopped, I let my husband flush $100 down the toilet, because if I would have kept just 1, I would've taken it and then been back at square one. I don't want to sound like a hypocrite, I used Suboxone to beat my addiction. I'm not on it anymore & I owe my life to it! Anyways, good luck to you. I hope everything works out for you!

greenday is offline Member

I know working while having w/d is tough, but just sitting at home thinking about the misery is even worse in some ways. At least at work you can get your mind off things for a while. (Sorry, I try to look at the bright side...lol). Hang in there, just a day or two more. It's horrible, we have all been there. WE KNOW what you are going through. It sucks. But it's not forever, remember that. Best wishes.

Hey guys, just wanted to give you an update on my situation.

Since I last posted, I unfortunately continued the taper for a couple days until I got to 1 pill on Monday. That was the last pill I had and my supply is now clean out.

I am now on day 3 of zero pills. To be honest, getting through the day hasn't been TOO bad. As long as I keep my mind off of it, I seem to get through the day relatively unscathed, aside from the pain and restlessness in my arms and legs and the ever frequent trip to the bathroom. Unfortunately for me, the demons seem to come out at night when I'm trying to sleep. The only sleep I've gotten since starting the taper can be credited to alcohol and Tylenol PMs.

The hardest part has been trying to combat the tricks my mind constantly tries to play on me. I tell myself I need it for the pain, I tell myself I must not be an addict if my withdrawl symptoms aren't that bad, etc. It's really disheartening to know that even though I am the one who made the decision to stop for myself, I am still my own worst enemy.

Part of us wants to get better, part of us doesn't.

Tomorrow morning I leave for a 3 day trip out of state, so I guess one can argue my timing isn't exactly on point. But if I can get through tonight without going out and buying some pills, the next time you hear from me I will be 6 or 7 days clean.

Maybe this trip is a blessing in disguise.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast