Painkillers - a self-explanatory word

Default Painkillers - a self-explanatory word

I was just sitting here, about to gobble down these three Percocet 10/325 and thinking... If you have read the painkiller addiction topic in the Featured Conditions board, you can't help but notice how many people can relate to those with painkiller addictions or even have their own stories to tell. Yes, when used correctly, these medicines can work wonders, but what about their downsides?

Is it worth it to prescribe them knowing it is perfectly plausible that any patient may become horribly addicted and a lifetime slave to this drug?

Is it considered by doctors or patients as a minor problem that inevitably arises which can easily be taken care of with suboxone, or methadone, or other rehab programs?

Is it the doctor's fault? Is it the patient's fault? Is it ANYONE'S fault?

What is your own opinion about the prescription, abuse and legal procedures for narcotic painkillers? Please share with me.

Jesus Christ will help you through. -Betsy

Miles is offline Member

Where should I begin? For what they are worth, here are my “Top Ten” observations based on decades of research and practice.

1. Drugs are inert, inanimate objects. In and of themselves, they are neither “good” nor “bad.”
    2. Drugs, whether licit or illicit, generally make people feel better. Who doesn’t want to feel better?
    3. There exists extensive monetary connections between drug companies, psychiatrists and other scientists responsible for the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV). The prescription paradigm needs to be dumped. All drugs should be legalized and people should have the freedom to choose among drugs without having to see a physician and obtaining a prescription. Only then will we be truly free.
    4. Drug industry practices are challenging the integrity of science. The very vocabulary of psychiatry is now defined at all levels by the pharmaceutical industry.
    5. SSRI’s unequivocally and significantly increase the risk of suicide among patients taking them.
    6. The concept that a brain-based, chemical imbalance underlies mental illness is false. While popularized by heavy public marketing, it is simply psychiatric wishful thinking. As with all of psychiatry’s “disease” models, it has been thoroughly discredited by researchers.
    7. The collaboration between government and psychiatry results in what may be called the "therapeutic state," a system in which disapproved thoughts, emotions, and actions are repressed ("cured") through pseudomedical interventions. Thus illegal drug use, smoking, overeating, shoplifting, sexual promiscuity, pederasty, rambunctiousness, shyness, anxiety, unhappiness, racial bigotry, unconventional religious beliefs, and suicide are all considered “diseases” or symptoms of diseases - things that happen to people against their will. This sort of thinking undermines individual responsibility and invites coercive paternalism.
    8. ADD/ADHD are not brain conditions! Ritalin is methylphenidate. Methylphenidate affects the brain in precisely the same way as cocaine. With a similar degree of potency, they both block a molecule that is involved in the reuptake of dopamine. Methylphenidate was used in research studies to deliberately stir psychosis in schizophrenics. This was done because researchers could take an individual with a tendency towards psychosis, give him/her methylphenidate, and cause psychosis. Researchers also knew that amphetamines, like methylphenidate, could cause psychosis in persons who never before had been psychotic. Think about this! We are giving a drug to children that is known to have the possibility of stirring psychosis.
    9. Our culture promotes the “medicalization” of problems in living. Medicalization makes anything negative a mental-health problem. It affects doctor and patient alike. It's the age we live in.
    10. Genes have absolutely nothing to do with addiction despite the popular myths alleging such. Addiction is behavior, pure and simple.

Numbers three, seven and nine are conclusions I myself have reached upon personal reflection. Extremely well-said, albeit irrelevant at times.

Jesus Christ will help you through. -Betsy

sweetchikk05 is offline Banned

I hate to disagree with you on number 10, there have been way too many studys and way too much research that I know about, I disagree that this is a myth, I believe addiction is not just hereditary I think its how you react to having that gene, my parents are both addicts yet I feel into the deep dark hold and became one as well, on the other hand my older sister didnt, in fact she doesnt drink, smoke, or do drugs, the girl didnt even drink at her own wedding!! So I think it is partially hereditary and also based on how you react to it, and no I am not basing my conclusions on my own personal experiance, when this happened to me I did a lot of reasearch,,

Its a nice thought though,
    and you worded yourself very well I might add

Liz ann

Miles is offline Member

Many thanks Liz Ann for the flattering compliment. I might add, however, that one peril of biological thinking is the temptation to reduce all human behavior to genes and neurochemistry. Findings about the influence of genes on personality and lifestyle are intriguing, but we still are talking about predisposition rather than predetermination. We continue to judge people by what they do with the hands they are dealt, and rightly so. Similarly, every mental state presumably corresponds to a particular pattern of brain activity that might be influenced by the introduction of certain chemicals. But that does not mean that every mental state we do not like is a disease to be treated with psychotropic drugs.

Lastly, one hallmark of a true disease is that people are not constantly insisting that it really is a disease.

sweetchikk05 is offline Banned

I agree with you Miles, and I would like to add that I have defeated the odds, I have seen many many many shrinks...most of them were court ordered when I was a ward of the state a foster kid almost 10 years ago....with my mothers history, she is bipolar, schitzophrenic, and the hand I was delt, I am not going to go into details because it may be very disturbing for some...but with everything I have been through I have managed to stay sane, every shrink that has seen my file and knows my genetic history is suprised to see that I am as normal as them, so I agree with you, I dont think its all based on the hand your dealt, I tink its how you deal with everything that makes up who you are and what you choose to do, I was delt a real ****ty one and I mean it was bad and I am doing very good I would have to say, I have 3 beautiful children, a loving home, and all of which I never had, so I would have to say I am off to a good start to give my children what I never had...I am breaking the cycle.... It ends with me because I choose it to be that way, I am a strong enough person, I would never let my chilren endure the physical and emotional abuse that I have endured, no matter what it costs me.

Nice talking with you

Miles is offline Member

Liz Ann:

Congratulations on beating the odds! I am certain the journey has been a difficult one for you and your loved ones and to your credit, you made the choice to go in a different direction. All too often, I have seen individuals with circumstances similar to yours deflect personal responsibility and blame their genetic makeup for their situations. The world could use a few more people with your commitment and chutzpah.

My best to you and your family as you continue on your journey to self-fulfillment.

Regards,
    Miles