Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
oxycodone withdrawal's nightmarish..
    CRYintheNIGHT Guest

Default oxycodone withdrawal's nightmarish..

Hi everyone,
    I"m new to this forum. I've read many of your encouraging post during the week and felt compelled to join and ask for help. My story is really no different then anyones else's here. I take 6-10 oxycodone 5mg a day for my Lupus and always run out prior to my next prescription. Usually just a few days. So I'm very aware of the w/d's. I've been recently laid off, so I thought it would be a good idea to finally quit. For all the same reasons everyone else states.
    I got to my 4th day and ended up filling my prescription. REASONS: I felt almost suicidal on my 4th day, my body wasn't doing well at all. To make matters worse, my 24 yr old niece who lives with me and is usually just wonderful couldn't handle my w/d's, therefore we fought almost constantly. And with each argument I felt my pain increase. I wouldn't have involved her, but I needed her to walk my dogs, because I was almost a crippled and couldn't even get out of my chair. Plus, the insomnia was almost a death sentence. I tried to watch movies, read post, have something hot to drink but nothing worked. I sat there like a mental case with my mind racing. The sweats were horrible, I sat in a pool of water,by the time it took me to crawl to the bathroom and change all my clothes it was time to do it all over again. I literally ran out of dry clothes. Looking in the mirror i was surprise to see just how awful I looked. In that 4 days I aged 10yrs. But the worse part is I felt I was going insane, my mind racing along with my heart every night as I tried to sleep.
    I'm not even sure what I'm asking for now. I guess I should of planned this a little better. I definitely will get some valium to help sleep for the first 4 days along with something for muscle aches, like robaxin. The funny thing is I really didn't have unbearable pain, it was just the sweats and my mind along with the suicidal thoughts that stopped me from going any further. I can't blame my niece, although if she was just a little bit more understanding, I believe I might have made it to another day. So now, I either have to sit down and explain to her what I need and see if she's able to support me, or wait till she returns home in Sept and be by myself with no one to walk my dogs, I mean no one.
    Any suggestions.
    CRYintheNIGHT

Anonymous Guest

plenty of us have got clean with no one around. i live alone and did it mostly by myself. i had some online help, but no one in the real world knew what was going on at the time.... you have picked up a new script, why dont you try and taper down this time. so that when you do run out, you will be on a far lower dose. and you need to tell your doctor, so the option of another script just isnt there, otherwise you ARE going to use it if you know its there as a back up.... i would too. its what we do...

good luck...

Anonymous Guest

p.s number ONE REASON YOU FILLED YOUR SCRIPT....

coz it was there for you. plain and simple. you need to get rid of that option. it will always be at the back of your mind when you are weak, and it will call you..... tell your doctor what you want to do. commit to this.
    Comeback Kid likes this.

Lam34fus51 is offline Member

I totally agree - if you have meds or scripts available - you WILL use them! Cut your ties to any meds and taper - have your niece hold your meds and tell her NOT TOO for ANY reason give you more than what your taper plan is!!!! You will get through the rough spots - be mentally strong and ready to quit!!!!
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

CRYintheNIGHT Guest

thank you,

Im well aware people detox alone. I just so happen to have 3 dogs that need to go out 3 times a day. Leash them up, walk several flights of stairs etc..This is a big issue for me. Its something that needs to be addressed prior to my next attempt.

CRYintheNIGHT Guest

Not sure about mentally. Its the Physical side that gets to me.(as everyone else) And who wants to feel suicidal, thats just how i felt on my 4th day. My mind was racing, along with my heart. I don't take them to get high, I take them to ward of the nasty w/d's. It's like the functioning alcoholic, the party stopped years ago and now they need that drink to literally function. Has anyone felt suicidal during detox.

Lam34fus51 is offline Member

The best thing for you when your going through this he!! Is too take your dogs for short and slow walks -- I know it seems impossible but you can do it - you need to do it!! It's a great distraction and you need to get your body moving!!!

mottam is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRYintheNIGHT View Post
    Not sure about mentally. Its the Physical side that gets to me.(as everyone else) And who wants to feel suicidal, thats just how i felt on my 4th day. My mind was racing, along with my heart. I don't take them to get high, I take them to ward of the nasty w/d's. It's like the functioning alcoholic, the party stopped years ago and now they need that drink to literally function. Has anyone felt suicidal during detox.
    CitN: Welcome.
    Absolutely felt suicidal, at times, during the first 4 to 5 days. I was w/d - ing off of 150 to 180mgs. of Oxy a day. You are correct - pure he!!. I cried a lot too. Any little thought made me desparately sad. My good friend CaughtAgain was w/d - ing the same time I was (a few days ahead of me). He told me that he was even crying at dog food commercials.
    Where am I going with this? They are crazy feelings/emotions that many of us go through during w/d. Realize them for what they are - just that - feelings. They will and do pass. However, DO NOT take the issue lightly. If you really feel overwhemingly suicidal, consult w/ your doctor. Your doc prescribes you the oxies, right? Let him/her know what you are doing. That is what I did. IMHO, I STRONGLY recommend that you w/d from this stuff under some kind of medical supervision. Again, those feelings will pass.
    Have you ever heard that "suicide is a permanant solution to a temporary problem"? You may need to have your doc work with you through this.

I am NOT A DOCTOR. However, I stongly recommend that, again, if you can, work w/ your doctor to get through this. As addicts, we throw our body's chemistry completely out of whack when we use - especially opiates and benzos. Then when we stop - look out!

Listen, this can be done, you can absolutely do this. So many of us on this site have. Put a plan in place. PLEASE, make sure that you have a heart to heart talk with the doc who is prescribing you the opiates. I could not imagine that doc NOT working w/ you to get off of them. It won't be painless, but you can really reduce the suffering.

Best of luck my friend. You can do this - IMHO - its really hard to do alone.

Kindest Regards.
    mottam
    surfdog likes this.
    Persistency is consistency

rxqueen83 is offline Member

Cryinthenight;
    Welcome. You said you don't take the pills to get high. Why are you running out of your meds early? I'm not being rude, I'm being serious and trying to be helpful. If your not taking them to get high what are the reasons that you have to quit? How will you manage your pain after the meds? Your correct to notice that you need a plan of action to care for your dogs when your going through this. Can you have a serious talk with your niece and ask her for help? Do you have a friend or family member who could take the dogs for a week so you don't have to stress? You don't have to go through this alone -- we're here for you.

Nadia

CRYintheNIGHT Guest

Great advise Mottam. Its nice to know Im not alone in those ugly thoughts. I'm almost embarrassed crying over a handful of pills, where as you detoxed from over a 180mg, is that in a day? I feel more confident in moving forward to detox again, knowing that some people do feel suicidal.

rxgueen As for why I run out: When they first put me on pain meds, almost immediately I noticed I'd sweat about 4-5hrs after I took my meds. I addressed this with my MD who said that was normal. I disagreed, so they put me on oxycontin(long-acting) 10mg 3x's a day. 1) at that time I was having more pain and the thought was complete coverage. 2) oxy always in system eliminates the w/d's (which it did) but that wasn't the initial reason for starting. After a few months I wanted to get off the long acting. So they replaced it with short acting oxy 5mg up to six a day. Same dose different length. Well, if I get up and take 15mg for my morning pain, the time noon comes around and Im at work with no pain, my detoxing has started, therefore I take 1 or 2 just to stop the damn sweating and w/d effects. My sweats are severe and embarrassing and I can't be sweating everyday at work, my co-workers would start to wonder. So now Im left with 1 or 2 if that. By the time I get home, it's just repeated. So that's why I run out. My MD says I should just wear a clonidine patch. Clonidine is used to treat high blood pressure and really helps with w/d's. I can't use a patch because I have a Bikram yoga practice daily. Yoga done in a 104 degree room therefore the patch wouldn't stay on. So i tried the pill form, it does work but makes you super tired.

Besides all that, whether people use to get high or as prescribe, the chemical's in oxy hold's their victims willingly or unwillingly. When anyone has time, you should google the history of Oxy and how the Pharmaceutical companies lied though their teeth saying it wasn't an addictive drug.

I'm just tired of the same routine: almost like a robot..get up, turn over..REACH,open,pour,drink..

Anonymous Guest

hey there cry. did you tell your doctor yet.? i think thats going to be a major event for you. but will be a very good step...

CitN:
    Yes, ~ 180 mgs. a day.
    Please do NOT take those negative feelings lightly. My doc prescribed Effexor for depression during the first 8weeks of w/d, recovery.
    Clonidine: Pros and Cons. Pro: will keep you asleep through most of the w/d. Con: Can and will drop you BP so low that you will be very dizzy. I fell down from the combination of the w/d meds I was on. The dry mouth from Clonidine can also be very annoying.
    If you can/like to meditate - do it. To this day, I meditate 15 to 30 minutes a day. Prayer and meditation really keep me centered. Philip Frasier has some fantastic devotional flute music that I use to meditate w/ every day.

With a strong conviction to stop, a solid plan in place, consultations w/ your physician, and a great support group (NA, CR-church, this forum, etc.), you can and will succeed at this.

In my most humble opinion, I strongly urge you to work w/ your doctor, keep posting - OFTEN, and get with a support group. You do know that you can beat this? You do not ever need to take opiate again. Post your plan, post how you are feeling, post how we can help, post just to vent if you need to.

You already have been in my prayers, as I pray daily for the addict in recovery, the addict who never made it to recovery, the addict who still suffers, and the poor soul who is about to pick up for th first time - not knowing the long stretch of bad road ahead.

Stay strong - you are on the right forum.

Kindest Regards.
    mottam
    ClassiqueMom and Restlessly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysod View Post
    hey there cry. did you tell your doctor yet.? i think thats going to be a major event for you. but will be a very good step...
    cheeky:
    Haven't "spoke" with you in a LONG time. I read on your thread about your job and dog. Stay strong - the world is a better place with a clean cheeky in it

Kindest Regards
    mottam

CRYintheNIGHT Guest

I spoke with my niece(25yr) about needing help. It probable was my fault in not explaining to her what I was doing or why. All she wanted was for me to take my pain pills and not suffer anymore. My withdrawals scared her. Day after day she saw me curled up in a ball on my chair. All the lights off and the heat blazing. I was also less than nice. I just didn't want to be touched or spoken to, I just wanted to sit in my chair and die. The nights is what got to me. Sleep deprivation have brought even the strongest of souls to very dark places.
    As for the clonidine, I have used it and for me it didn't to a great job with my w/d's. I believe its due to using it solely for blood pressure for a few years so my body is use to it.

We(niece) are working on a detox plan for next week. I sense her excitement in making this work, since now I have throughly informed her of all the reasons this needs to happen. She's already made some great suggestions as for what simple foods she wants to prepare and how she'll take the dogs out without me even asking. The key all along, might have just been communication!

I will keep you posted.

Anonymous Guest

you have not mentioned havin another script as back up. which will be there if you dont get hold of your doctor and let him know what is going on.... hanging on to it, is a reservation to use...

what do you think about that.? l notice you never mentioned my post about cutting off all ways to get more pills...
    mottam likes this.

Anonymous Guest

thank you,

Im well aware people detox alone. I just so happen to have 3 dogs that need to go out 3 times a day. Leash them up, walk several flights of stairs etc..This is a big issue for me. Its something that needs to be addressed prior to my next attempt.
    i lived alone during my taper and detox., i had a job to go to. i had an elderly dog to look after, a cat, two chickens and a goat... what im trying to say, is these are often MOTIVATORS to get us up off our sorry asses at this time, and do something positive. its sooo easy to get stuck in the doldrums. so when something or someone relies on US. i think its a good thing... walking those dogs during detox is probably going to be one of the best things for you. if you make yourself get out there and do it...
    ClassiqueMom likes this.

That's awesome that you have your niece on your side now. Often times they just don't understand and exactly as you said, want us to take the pills and be nice again! If you have her on your side to help you through the few days of misery then you have a plan. Good for you. I agree with cheeky on two things. The dogs will probably be the best thing for you if you force yourself to take them out, and you need to address this with your Doctor.

I'm very familiar with Oxycontin. I think it's garbage and I've seen people do horrible things to aquire it. I wouldn't doubt the manufacturer lied and still lies consistently. It is garbage IMHO and I don't know more than ONE person who takes it responsibly and as prescribed. I'm sure there are some out there but of all the people I've seen prescribed to it all of them besides one man I know abuse it and/or sell it. I knew a woman who lived pretty high off the hog collecting SSI and selling her 80's. She banked nearly 60,000 in about four years selling her pills! She stopped taking them after she discovered how much money she could make selling them. It really made me angry to be honest. I was definately resentful looking at her nice condo and nice car when I went to work every day to work on a hot kitchen line for 10-12 hours!

I personally think anyone on Oxycontin should either have to go to a clinic to get their meds daily or have a licensed nurse or physician dispensing the pills. Actually I think it should be illegal but I know there are people with legitimate pain issues and I'm not making light of their situation or saying they are bad people "just because". I just think it's too dangerous to be letting people have monthly supplies of it.

CRYintheNIGHT Guest

Mottam: Been reading your old(09')threads to get an idea of how your detox went. I had such bad insomnia, I mean "zero" sleep for 3 days straight. That in itself brought on my irrational thoughts. You wrote you had 3 med's that almost eliminated any sleep problems until your 6th day. At the beginning, you stated many times you were unable to keep your eyes open. I would have given anything for just a little sleep.

It seems the clonidine, temazepam, and lorazepam worked very well for you. The great thing about this forum is learning what worked and didn't work for people going through the same thing your going through. So based on your success and others, I will be getting a prescription for lorazepam and I already have clonidine. He won't give me the temazepam, to many benzo's, probably fearful...just add a few oxy's to that and they'll be no need for detox. One of my allergies pills hydroxizine has a wonderful side effect "drowsiness" so that's what I'll add.

Thing is, I already suffer from insomnia, so this detox just intensifies it. Along with alternating Tylenol and ibuprofen every 4-6hrs I think I'll be set in the med department. You also mentioned your need to post often? One thing I noticed is you never really spoke about pain. Was your oxy use started to control pain or recreational only.

thanks

CRYintheNIGHT Guest

I do understand where your coming from. My exhaustion has been around long before pain management. Lupus is an auto- immune disease that does a number on its patients. One is zapping you of energy and not to mention I have kidney failure do to the disease. Some people can do a lot for themselves, I just happen to need some help. So getting off ones sorry asses as you mention is not my issue.

thanks

CRYintheNIGHT Guest

Thank You RXqueen for your support.

Hey Cry
    I was misdiagnosed with Lupus when I was 21/22. Turns out I was having a severe reaction to SPLENDA believe it or not. I had started the Atkins diet and began consuming heavy amounts of Splenda. One day my kidneys were SO swollen, my back was hurting so badly it was painful to sit in my office chair; I looked like a walking skeleton with sunken eyes, hair falling out, swollen joints, rashes...it was bad. I went online to research "swollen kidneys" and found someone's story about their reaction to Splenda. I realized every single symptom I had was attributed or tied to Splenda on this forum I found. I decided to see for myself, knowing the internet is not always 100%. In three days, every single symptom that had been relentlessly plauging me for 6 months now completely STOPPED and has never, ever returned. Bizarre. Are you by any chance consuming Splenda? I have to ask anybody that tells me they've been diagnosed with RA or Lupus.

Mottam: Been reading your old(09')threads to get an idea of how your detox went. I had such bad insomnia, I mean "zero" sleep for 3 days straight. That in itself brought on my irrational thoughts. You wrote you had 3 med's that almost eliminated any sleep problems until your 6th day. At the beginning, you stated many times you were unable to keep your eyes open. I would have given anything for just a little sleep.

It seems the clonidine, temazepam, and lorazepam worked very well for you. The great thing about this forum is learning what worked and didn't work for people going through the same thing your going through. So based on your success and others, I will be getting a prescription for lorazepam and I already have clonidine. He won't give me the temazepam, to many benzo's, probably fearful...just add a few oxy's to that and they'll be no need for detox. One of my allergies pills hydroxizine has a wonderful side effect "drowsiness" so that's what I'll add.

Thing is, I already suffer from insomnia, so this detox just intensifies it. Along with alternating Tylenol and ibuprofen every 4-6hrs I think I'll be set in the med department. You also mentioned your need to post often? One thing I noticed is you never really spoke about pain. Was your oxy use started to control pain or recreational only.

thanks
    CitN:
    PLEASE remember that we are all unique in what works for us. What I shared and continue to share is my experience of what "worked" for me. I am not a doctor, and would never pressume to dispense ANY medical advice.
    That stated, I hope my that sharing my experience with you helps you in some small way or another. You are not alone - we are all in this fight together. That sounds corny - but it is true. W/o each of us sharing our experiences with each other, recovery would seem so much more isolated and desperate. Recovery is hard work, but it can be analogous to a rebirth, if you chase it like you chased your addiction.

Best of luck - in my prayers.
    mottam
    ClassiqueMom likes this.

pgcc is offline Member

I've been through oxy wd several times and no matter what anyone says it is no worse or better than wd from anything else it is hell. There is not much you can do to make things better except let it pass and it will lucky for you in a few days usually. You may have some symptoms for up to two weeks but the first 4 days are by far the worst. Clonidine or catapres helps but you need a prescription, it also can help you sleep a little. You can get through it, I did. The hard part is staying away after the wd is over that is where I failed. We need support and I am hard headed as are you probably, we know best. I always thought I did and it got me no where. I'm trying to get clean too and I am totally anti-meetings but this time I have to do something different so I am going to give them a chance maybe when your wd passes you should too?
    Last edited by pgcc; 07-02-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    ClassiqueMom likes this.

CRYintheNIGHT Guest

My sister died from Lupus, its a family thing. Sorry your MD put you through un-necessary worry. No excuse, so many test out there today to positively confirm anyones suspicions.

CRYintheNIGHT Guest

Ok..but how did you deal with pain. Surely you can see the sheer fact that you were able to sleep the first few days during your detox was a blessing, in my book a "miracle" As I have read and you being a member to this forum sine 09' must of noticed the majority claims "insomnia" being their biggest hurdle. So in coming across your story I took notice. Surely we are all unique, as for medical advise..you gave none. Just saying, since coming across your story I have been able to suggest things to my MD that will help me with the insomnia nightmare during my detox.

Pain is always going to be part of my life, its just that type of illness I have. Did you experience pain and if so how did you deal with it, or did you use pain meds for other things..not physical pain

Ok..but how did you deal with pain. Surely you can see the sheer fact that you were able to sleep the first few days during your detox was a blessing, in my book a "miracle" As I have read and you being a member to this forum sine 09' must of noticed the majority claims "insomnia" being their biggest hurdle. So in coming across your story I took notice. Surely we are all unique, as for medical advise..you gave none. Just saying, since coming across your story I have been able to suggest things to my MD that will help me with the insomnia nightmare during my detox.

Pain is always going to be part of my life, its just that type of illness I have. Did you experience pain and if so how did you deal with it, or did you use pain meds for other things..not physical pain
    CitN:
    Sleep: During my first week of detox, I slept a lot. The combination of Valium, Restoril, and Clonidine knocked me out. That is my experience during w/d. However, Valium and Restoril are benzos - bad stuff! Benadryl, Sleepy-Time tea, exercise (long walks), hot showers, meditation and prayer helped me. You see, we spend years getting into our respective messes, and then expect to get back to normal in days/weeks. That is the addict mentality - we are used to instant gratification, and getting what we want, when we want it. Yes, sleep seems as though we are not asking for much. However, we have altered our body's chemistry - it needs time to re-sync and get back into balance. I agree with you that insomnia stinks. It hinders your ability to function optimally. Good news, the sleep patterns come back. Normal sleep patterns are a part of recovery - and it takes time and conviction to get through this tough time. If your doctor does give you an Rx for sleep, from my experience, please request that the prescription is for no longer then a few weeks. You do not want to trade 1 bad habit for another.

Pain: I have a titanium plate and 2 screws in my C-spine, fusions at 3 levels. I had a fractured skull and eye socket. Currently, I have a Silastic (Silicon and plastic) implant where my eye socket used to be. I also have a herniation where the Lumbar meets the Sagitial. What works?
    - pain is actually lessened when the opiates are removed (that is my experience).
    - Exercise/stretching; my PT after surgery gave me many good exercises to do at home to keep the spine lose and strong. It has continued to work wonders.
    - Hot compresses and ice packs when needed.
    - Prayer and meditation. Yes, that's right. When the mind is at peace, the body follows. (Again, my experience).
    - I went to see a nutritionist who turned me on to a diet that helps the body naturally reduce inflammation. Wish I met her before I met my pain medicine physician.
    - When necessary, I do take some non-opiate, OTC pain medication. Advil and Icy Hot are the two items that work the best for me.

In answer to your question - I will share with you my experience: Did I use pain medication to deal with other things then physical pain. Initially - no. However, I quickly learned 2 things:
    1) 30 mg of oxy and a cup of good coffee took away my pain and gave me artificial energy. I felt 18 again, but paid a heavy price for those false feelings.
    2) getting a buzz off of the oxy helped me escape the demons of the past that I was simply incapable, unwilling, and/or too immature to address. Again, I paid a heavy price for that decision. I am an addict. It was only a matter of time until opiates made it onto the list of substances I loved to use and abuse.

In summary, when I was 32, I felt 52 from all of the B$ that I was doing. Now I am 42, and feel 32. A new way of living - that is what has done it for me. Regardless of how good or bad the day may seem, prayer and meditation see me through it. When the pain gets bad, or I have a bad night, I simply turn it over to my higher power that I choose to call God. Opiates are not an option - I joined w/ a lifetime membership the "no matter what" club. I do not use opiates, no matter what.

Best of luck. As a fellow addict, I will gladly share with you my experience, strength and hope. You can come out of this feeling better than ever. It takes time and hard work; dedication, humility, and conviction.

Kindest Regards
    mottam
    ClassiqueMom and lifewrthlivn like this.

CRYintheNIGHT Guest

Mottam I love your writing style. My young niece is an amazing writer. Not to mention she is a bibliophile, a person who loves and collect books. Her range is incredible. The way she devours books is also impressive. At one point I refuse to buy her books. Almost as soon as she sat down to read it, it was over. She had read the entire book. Usually all books, no matter what size, subject etc..it was over with very quickly. Trying to find a way to save money, I thought the library would be the answer, but no, the joy of a bibliophile is owning the book as well. She's amazing; writing her first book at a very young age, 2 under her belt so far. She told me once, the key to a great writer is to read and read some more. Don't be caught up with only things that interest you, say gardening, one needs to push themselves into unfamiliar topics/territory. Thats part of the learning process. Getting to know others style and vocabulary. Even though I have my masters, I have never been a good writer. Because of that, I'm always in awh of people that are.

Anyway, I really felt your pain in 09' when you were detoxing. You wrote of going to work because you had no choice and sitting in meetings trying to hold it together. I can't imagine your hell those days, pure hell. The sweat dripping down your back, your mind racing as you stated. I was glued to your story the entire day. At one point I thought you might call it quits. That man who continued to call you offering you oxy's, what a trip that had to be. I love how Robert continued to support you with encouraging words. Robert doesn't say much, but what he does say is very powerful, I to feel he's a good writer. Every so often, which was often, you called out for help. I couldn't read fast enough, I just wanted to hear you say "I'm going to make it, I did it" and you did.

Reading everyones stories for me, is the first step to succeeding. You don't just put the bookcase together before reading the directions and making sure the tools did come in the book. Every time I read a story its like filling up my gas tank. Im getting ready for the long trip.

I have been on pain pills for 4 years and last month was my first attempt at stopping. I failed because of poor planning. I have been gathering all my supplies and now just await my mailed prescription for sleep. Mottam, was that your first attempt and if not how many prior?

Last note..If you haven't already you should try Bikram yoga, it works wonders for pain, specially back pain. All studios offer a 2 week trial for only $25. If you made it though detox this well be nothing for you. Of course its not easy, but truly rewarding. 104 degree room 1.5hr of yoga. Most people walk out feeling 100% better. As for myself I lost 30 lbs my first 6months but most importantly I walk out pain free. No back pain, my complexion is clear. My niece had hip and carpal tunnel pain, but within her first 3 classes it was gone. Give it a go, I will guarantee your back pain will decrease immediately and will be totally gone within a few months. Mine is. Regards if you still suffer from pain, its a wonder exercise and you'll find yourself healthier and happier.

happy 4th

CRYintheNIGHT Guest

Mottam and anyone interested. An inspiring story of a herion addict and bikram yoga. the link below

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/fashion/13Mirror.html

tell me if I did it right. Copied the link?

I have been on pain pills for 4 years and last month was my first attempt at stopping. I failed because of poor planning. I have been gathering all my supplies and now just await my mailed prescription for sleep. Mottam, was that your first attempt and if not how many prior?
    CitN:
    When I first joined D.c, it was my first "real" attempt to stop anything. I thought I had hit bottom. Everything was falling apart - I was out of control. If you read my thread, you will see that after a few months clean - I relapsed. Why? Looking back - only ONE reason. I had the desire to stop using, just not the tools, the support group to help me learn how to live this new life. Yes, you will absolutely hear me promote NA. D.C is an EXCELLENT source of information and fellowship. It does not fill the gap NA does. The meetings, fellowship, sponsorship, the NETWORKING. Having a group of people I can call at 3:00AM, and have them help me through my feelings saved me from relapsing again. It saved my life.

NA is not for everyone. AA, CR....you are going to find that you need some kind of support group/network to bounce things off of. Listen CitN, I am nothing more than a humble, recovering addict. I begin each day thanking God, and end every day thanking God for another clean 24.

What worked for me? Humilty and surrender. I am married w/ a few children. I have a fantastic career. When I walk through those doors of an NA meeting, I am an addict like EVERYONE else in the room.

I was an arrogant, ignorant, immature SOB. I am learning to be a man, one day at a time. Drugs simply have no place in that learning curve.

Kindest Regards.
    mottam
    Last edited by mottam; 07-05-2012 at 06:20 PM.
    ClassiqueMom and lifewrthlivn like this.

CRYintheNIGHT Guest

Boy Mottam, I was excited you quit, that it didn't dawn on me that you would start using again. I can't imagine your pain and angry you felt knowing that you would once again have to go through hell. And as far as being a immature SOB as you mentioned, you truly come across as a humble man these day. I will differently go back and read a little more. There might be something I can learn from it.

I have everything I need to start my detox, but Im very angry knowing I have to go though this. Im already losing my temper with myself. Every little thing irritates me. I made it to day 4 several weeks ago, but the lack of sleep and mind racing I couldn't take. For me, knowing I won't have any pills to take to stop my misery, is psychological torture. I hate it! hate it! hate it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast