Like Tree2Likes
Ovarian Cyst Pain
    faerietears is offline New Member

Unhappy Ovarian Cyst Pain

I am looking for something to help with the pain of ovarian cysts. I had one about two years ago that had to be removed. Actually, they removed the whole ovary b/c there was so much scar tissue. Then I had one that they put me into medically-enduced menopause for six months for. Then I've had at least one fluid-filled cyst since then. They are very painful, but surgery is not an option b/c they eventually go away on their own. The problem is that in the meantime I am in a lot of pain. I have one right now, but I don't even want to bother going to the doctor b/c he won't do anything. I have tried every over-the-counter pain reliever. My doctor won't prescribe any pain medication. And I don't want to get addicted. But the problem is that some days I can barely walk and it's very difficult to have intercourse with my husband. It's affecting our relationship. And my doctor said that I'm just going to have to learn to deal with the pain. But I'm only 25 and I don't think it's reasonable to have to live the rest of my life like this. Can anyone think of a prescription or other solution that might help with my pain?

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

This kind of acute pain attacks really need to be treated with opiates.The only choice I see is to fire your doctor and get one that understands that you are going to need from time to time a opiate pain killer for these acute attacks.Don't let a paranoid doctor destroy your life get another doctor.Know one deserves to live in pain especially when it's acute and can be maintained with drugs......Dave

Thank you, Dave. I feel the same way about it. The only problem is that I am a college student and poor (as most college students are). My copay for office visits is $30. That is a day's wage for me. So I can't just go from doctor to doctor looking for one who is willing to prescribe pain medication. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by faerietears; 04-10-2007 at 04:38 PM.

Unforyunately I'm a Canadian and not familiar with your medical system but is there any goverment type programs that you can use to help pay.I went to college to so I fully understand were your coming from.This is another reason why your doctor should give you acute pain killers.Let me know how you make out.....Dave

sydbean is offline Member

I just have to say that it is totally and completely unethical for any doctor to flat out refuse to give you pain medication for an obvious illness that is known to be very painful. It is so against the ethical oath that a dr. is to take before licensing.....MY GOODNESS what is this world coming too? Who do these physicians think they are. If they are so very afraid of the DEA that it is causing them to mistreat patients then they need to hang up the little white coat and find a new job.

I realize this was a pointless rant but it really pisses me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=5][COLOR=purple][B]~Syd[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=4][COLOR=purple][B]"Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints!"[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I couldn't agree more Syd.....Dave

Thank you both for posting. I made an appointment with my doctor but he can't get me in until the 23rd. Until then I'll have to resort to buying them. Around here it's $5 each for a Vicodin 5/500, which totally sucks. I didn't really think about it before, but I guess if I'm going to go buying them illegally I need to use the money looking for a new doctor instead. Sometimes I don't think so clearly because I get so frustrated. I didn't even ask him for meds when I had him on the phone because I'm so scared that he'll say no and then I won't be able to ask during my appointment.

To answer the question about the health insurance, I have very good health insurance, so no, I don't qualify for any programs. The insurance is through my husband's work, it's just that the copay is high for me. But $30 dr visit copay is actually comparatively low.

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to hang in there.

Jamie2000 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by faerietears View Post
    I am looking for something to help with the pain of ovarian cysts. I had one about two years ago that had to be removed. Actually, they removed the whole ovary b/c there was so much scar tissue. Then I had one that they put me into medically-enduced menopause for six months for. Then I've had at least one fluid-filled cyst since then. They are very painful, but surgery is not an option b/c they eventually go away on their own. The problem is that in the meantime I am in a lot of pain. I have one right now, but I don't even want to bother going to the doctor b/c he won't do anything. I have tried every over-the-counter pain reliever. My doctor won't prescribe any pain medication. And I don't want to get addicted. But the problem is that some days I can barely walk and it's very difficult to have intercourse with my husband. It's affecting our relationship. And my doctor said that I'm just going to have to learn to deal with the pain. But I'm only 25 and I don't think it's reasonable to have to live the rest of my life like this. Can anyone think of a prescription or other solution that might help with my pain?
    Hey there. My advice to you would be get another doctor! I've had doctors like that before. The ones who second guess everyone of their patients and their self proclaimed 'pain'. People like that should find another profession. I've had a cyst on my ovary before. Twice actually. One of the times I was pregnant and the cyst just went away by itself. The other one, I had to take medication to make it go away. I know what pain you are feeling and I also know what its like to have major difficulty with sex with my husband because of cysts. I'm sorry you are going through so much pain., but seriously, consider another doctor. Sometimes that is the perfect solution. I had to change doctors and am so glad I did.

Styliani is offline New Member

Default Opiates

Hey there,

I totally feel you pain and have had ovarian cysts as well (coveniently when I was in University). I have given birth twice and the pain associated with ovarian cysts does not even come close to give birth!

What I really want to say to you is STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THE OPIATES! THEY WORK FANTASTIC FOR PAIN BUT UNBELIEVABLY ADDICTIVE, AND YOU BUILD TOLERANCE VERY FAST.

WAS INITIALLY PUT ON PERCOCET, WHICH I BUILT A TOLERANCE TO. SO THEN I WAS PUT ON SEUPEDOL (STRAIGHT OXYCODONE). BUILT TOLERANCE TO THAT. SO I WAS PUT ON OXYCODONE AND OXYCONTIN (DID NOT TAKE ME LONG TO FIGURE OUT THAT IF YOU CRUSH YOUR OXYCONTINS THEY BECOME IMEDIATE RELEASE). AND BEFORE I KNEW IT, ME, THE TEACHER, THE "SUPER MOM" OF 5 CHILDREN WAS FULL ON ADDICTED TO THE OXY. I WAS TAKING UP TO 18 PILLS AT A TIME. IT TOOK ME ALMOST LOSING MY FAMILY TO ADMIT THAT I WAS AN ADDICT.
    NOW I TO GO TO MEETINGS, HAVE A SPONCOR AND HAVE 2 COUCELLORS, I AM DOING THE 12 STEP PROGRAM AS WELL.

YOU KNOW, THEY DON'T CALL IT "POOR MAN'S >>>>>>" FOR NOTHING. OXY IS MORE ADDICTIVE THAN >>>>>> AND COCAINE COMBIND...
    ALL I AM TRYING TO TELL YOU IS THAT OPIATES WORK GREAT FOR TH PAIN, BUT ARE EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE. HAVE YOU TRIED VOLTAREN OR TORADOL (APO-KETORALAC)? THEY ARE BOTH VERY STRONG ANTI INFLAMMATORY DRUGS AND THE HAVE HELPED ME ALOT.
    TRY TO STICK WITH ANTI-INFLAMATORIES. RATHER THAN OPIATES AND/OR NARCOTIC BASED DRUGS. THE RISK ASSOCIATED WITH IT IS TOTALLY NOT WORTH IT. DO SOME GOOGLING AND GET INFORMED, EDUCATE YOURSELF ON PILLS. GOOGLE YOUR PRESCRIPTION BEFORE YOU GO GET IT, OR ASK YOUR DOC WHAT EXACTLY IT IS.

i AM NOT SURE IF "MPVT" BELOW IS A DOCTOR, OR WORKS IN THE MEDICAL FEILD, BUT THAT IS HONESTLY THE WORST ADVICE ANYBODY CAN GIVE YOU. THERE ARE SO MANY ANTI INFLAMATORIES OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP YOU FEEL BETTER WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKE NARCOTIC BASED DRUGS AND OPIATES.

HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON... NIKI

annadoman is offline Member

Personally I am of the opinion that if you need opiates for pain relief there is nothing wrong with taking them as prescribed. But as has been said they are horribly addictive so be sure you don't take any more than prescribed.

I am an addict myself, I have a prescription for 160mg oxy contin twice a day (for nueropathic pain) and I also used >>>>>>. I had been clean for 2 months before I decided that I could take the oxys as prescribed but naturally I couldn't and had a relapse.

You are already buying them illegally, so I have no doubt you know about the addictive qualities of opiates. Just please be careful, you do not want to end up like me. I wish you luck with your pain.

Styliani is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by annadoman View Post
    Personally I am of the opinion that if you need opiates for pain relief there is nothing wrong with taking them as prescribed. But as has been said they are horribly addictive so be sure you don't take any more than prescribed.

I am an addict myself, I have a prescription for 160mg oxy contin twice a day (for nueropathic pain) and I also used >>>>>>. I had been clean for 2 months before I decided that I could take the oxys as prescribed but naturally I couldn't and had a relapse.

You are already buying them illegally, so I have no doubt you know about the addictive qualities of opiates. Just please be careful, you do not want to end up like me. I wish you luck with your pain.
    i agree although when I started taking them, I was taking them for legitimate pain, as prescribed. I don't remember when my addiction kicked in, when the depression hit me, but I guess I just went from using them as prescribed to using them as a crutch. Oxy specifically is dangerous, they have treatment centres that deal with only oxy addicted patients.

Anyway, I congratulate you for your sobriety, that is wonderful! You say "you don't want to end up like me" but you are working towards your sobriety and you have admitted you are an addict.

So you had a relapse, no biggie because it made you realize that you have to just stay away from the stuff. Be proud of yourself and keep your chin up

I too was sober for 3 months and figured I could handle a prescription of oxy... Uuum, no, totally relapsed. So now I am on day 38 of sobriety and on step 4 from the 12 step program.

I am so eager to live a normal life and you should too, cause we totally can!

annadoman is offline Member

Yes that is often how it starts I think, I too was prescribed for legitimate pain but my dose went up and up as I became tolerant, and then a "friend" introduced to smack. The feeling was indescribable and the pain was a distant memory on it, so I started to use that too. It got to the point where I using 1 to 2 grams a day in addition to the oxy contin. After about 5 years of that I realised I had a problem (well I did before that, but that was when I decided to do something about it) and found this board and got clean for the first time since I started taking those pills.

As I said in a differant thread, at least the WD's were nowhere near as bad this time around compared to when I was coming of the smack cold turkey.

Anna

And you are right we can live a normal life, just need to be wary of our addiction.