Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Sundwn
  • 1 Post By ARTIST658
Opiate withdrawals........
    Sundwn is offline Member

Default Opiate withdrawals........

Percocet withdrawal .....
    I had been taking hydrochordone 10/650 for about 2 years 40 to 60 mills a day.I went ct on these back in june of 2011. The wd,s were horrible. They lasted about 5 days" day six I was released from it. Felt weak but took no time to be back enjoying life. Fast forward 5 months. Back issues again. Back to hydro,s for 2 months 120 monthly . Told doc to change it. From jan this year 2012 to 7 days ago I was taking.....January oxychodone 60 mills daily....switched...feburary and march...roxicodone 60 to 80 to 120 mills. Daily 2 refills of 90. Had back surgery....much better. Was given percocets 10/325 - 90 I went through these in 2 weeks. I am now day 7 ct. I have made it through what I believe to be the worst of it. The led suit is gone most of the waste control problems have subsited. My question is this......day 7 and I still feel really bad. No energy, can't eat much, staying in bed for most part. Just tired. I really thought I would be done with this by now and I would be released like I was off the hydro.........anyone with any answers as to why it's taking longer and what I can expect from here on would be appreciated........sundwn

Anonymous Guest

Seriously,
    be patient. you will feel better each day. if the lead suit is gpne, cool!
    Sooo worth it!
    Take care,
    Marian

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sundwn View Post
    I had been taking hydrochordone 10/650 for about 2 years 40 to 60 mills a day.I went ct on these back in june of 2011. The wd,s were horrible. They lasted about 5 days" day six I was released from it. Felt weak but took no time to be back enjoying life. Fast forward 5 months. Back issues again. Back to hydro,s for 2 months 120 monthly . Told doc to change it. From jan this year 2012 to 7 days ago I was taking.....January oxychodone 60 mills daily....switched...feburary and march...roxicodone 60 to 80 to 120 mills. Daily 2 refills of 90. Had back surgery....much better. Was given percocets 10/325 - 90 I went through these in 2 weeks. I am now day 7 ct. I have made it through what I believe to be the worst of it. The led suit is gone most of the waste control problems have subsited. My question is this......day 7 and I still feel really bad. No energy, can't eat much, staying in bed for most part. Just tired. I really thought I would be done with this by now and I would be released like I was off the hydro.........anyone with any answers as to why it's taking longer and what I can expect from here on would be appreciated........sundwn
    You've stepped up your drug use from the hydro to stronger narcotics, so the withdrawal is likely to be worse. Hydrocodone is the weaker cousin of the oxys/percs/roxi, which are all based in oxycodone.

Addiction is a progressive disease; in other words, our drug use doesn't stay the same over time. It increases. Likewise, detox off these powerful narcotics gets tougher. You should be seeing some relief soon, and it may be gradual.

One pill is all it takes to 'trigger' our addiction once again. As long as you stay away from that one pill, you are well on your way toward recovery. Get to some NA or AA meetings, as these will help you to develop the coping skills needed to get through life without turning to a drink or a drug. The first week of withdrawal is generally the easiest part - it gets tough trying to manage life without turning to the "quick fix" of a drug or drink. Through the 12 steps, we develop the coping skills we need to do so.

God bless,
    Ruth

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

SuzieOf is offline Member

Ruth, I have been trying to learn the difference between addiction and dependence and maybe you could shed some light on it for me. If a person becomes dependent on pain killers but only uses it for pain and it is prescribed by a doctor and the person does not abuse it or take it for any other reason like problems in their life, are they still considered an addict? And if they are not an addict but only dependent on the drugs they were taking and they voluntarily stop taking them then could they not take a pill for pain again and not become dependent if they only do it once? I honestly don't think I am an addict but then again how can I take my own word for it? I have become dependent on pain pills in the past but couldn't wait to get off of them.

Sundwn is offline Member

It is my honest opinion suzieof that any opiates should never be used for long term. One , two weeks at the most. Many dr,s prescribe this medicine to be taken long term. Months even years. Dependence becomes addiction even if you are taking the allotted amount prescribed. You may not take more than prescribed, but I say you will. Why? Your body will become acclimated to that amount and will ask you for more as time progresses. And often when someone stops taking these pills. Your mind will dial up the pain wanting you to take more pills. After awhile the pain you have been living with becomes managble through other non - addictive methods. This is just my opinion. I hope it helps.
    Comeback Kid and thalia45 like this.

SuzieOf is offline Member

I was prescribed Hydro for a few years and it took a long time before it didn't work as well but when that happened I made myself take less as I felt that was the only option. During that time when the pain was worse I would take the prescribed amount for that day and then went back to taking less. I guess I always felt that taking more would be a dead end but in the end I still had to face the same withdrawals as everyone else.

disabledleo is offline Member

@ Sundwn I know you posted this as your opinion & you are more than entitled to BUT I disagree 100% for too many examples to take the time to discuss ....

"It is my honest opinion suzieof that any opiates should never be used for long term. One , two weeks at the most. Sundwn"

I can use "ME" as an example to start without the medication I had been taking I could - would NEVER have been physically able to do everything I have done for the past 12-13 years. Now there was a line that ended up being crossed @ a point FIRST BY A DR I WAS SEEING rx'ing me lethal amounts of narcotics & then after several years of taking ungodly amounts of OxyContin 80's , 160's mgs 6-8 x's a day with Roxy's 30 mgs ontop of that at a pretty much unlimited amount - then 1 day he finds out I was a retired / disabled Officer & DROPPED ME & sent me out the door with NOTHING. So lines were crossed & my life turned into worse than HELL from that point on. But when I was on a reasonable dose for years it was the only thing that kept me going before finally having multiple back surgeries - When I say multiple I mean I've lost count @ 8 & that was years ago & they've hacked on just about every part of my body now. The last was a few months ago my legs went dead I came crashing down arms were dead as well so I could not brace the fault crushing my orbital socket on a door knob so I went weeks with nothing to ease that pain & was finally cut under my eye ball & a plate implanted behind my eye ball to keep the nerves & tissue from my eye from being crushed by the bone.
    I won't even touch cancer pain & what incredible work OxyContin does to easy that pain long term mostly..

Take this as JUST "MY" OPINION on what you said in the quote above... Do not take this as me saying I'm right you are wrong because I would NEVER do such a thing on here. Just some personal experiences to show where "I BELIEVE " there is a use for the long term use

Hang in there I'll be here on & off for you to talk you past the worst part of ct..... It really helps to just TALK RAMBLE just get it out somewhere to someone. I'll do what I can to help you - so if you have any specific ?'s just let me know.

Sundwn is offline Member

Default Percocet withdrawal

Leo, I guess it really depends on the circumstances, doesn't it? It sounds my friend that you have experienced and have the experience way beyond anything I have. I posted that because it seems so many of us who suffer degenerate spinal problems. End up using these things way and far beyond what we should or maybe even need to. But you are correct. These drugs are miracles to some if taken correctly. And I am sure that there are those that will be on them the rest of their lives. And might not have a life wiyhout them.I wanted to know your story , thank you for sharing. Question, why would a dr. Send you out the door because you were an Disabled/officer? Unless he thinks you should be at the VA. Was that it?
    Last edited by Sundwn; 04-26-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Anonymous Guest

Hi there Sundown and welcome to this wonderful forum. I used for seven years daily . Never really more than 20 mgs / daily . Hydrocodone. So that is a small amount right ? But it has been the battle of my life to stay clean after three failed attempts . I am now over 100 days clean . My thread is long but there are many good reasons to read it some time. Even when the pain is legitimate and there is NO other choice . You must understand that narcotics are not a free ride. Used as prescribed long enough and you will pay a price . If you can tolerate your pain with OTC remedies or excersise , then do it. If your one of the ones who must take narcotics as part of your life . Then so be it , but it will take a toll in many other ways. Liver , foggy mind , addiction / slavery , you lose the person you used to be . IF YOU TAKE THESE PILLS FOR ANYTHING BUT UNBEARABLE TEMPORARY PAIN , THEN YOUR AN ADDICT . If its totally legit and not that many cases are , then you will have to pay with health issues down the road . Everyone that can stop should stop. Do it to be free and get your clear thinking back . The pills will control every aspect of your thinking . Didnt mean to rant but I hate the pills and what they do to us all.

Sundwn is offline Member

Thank you flattsman. No, I have absolutely no reason to ever go back on these things. I am , at this posting on day 8 of a nightmare of CT. I feel better today, but still I will be glad to move on to tomorrow. This is the real deal for me. Never want to experience this ever again. Someone posted " in 30 days it's going to be a good idea to take a pill". I liked that. It will stay with me. Thanks for posting. And my hearty congratulations on 100 days. That is an accomplishment. Keep going friend.i wish you the best.......sundwn.

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuzieOf View Post
    Ruth, I have been trying to learn the difference between addiction and dependence and maybe you could shed some light on it for me. If a person becomes dependent on pain killers but only uses it for pain and it is prescribed by a doctor and the person does not abuse it or take it for any other reason like problems in their life, are they still considered an addict? And if they are not an addict but only dependent on the drugs they were taking and they voluntarily stop taking them then could they not take a pill for pain again and not become dependent if they only do it once? I honestly don't think I am an addict but then again how can I take my own word for it? I have become dependent on pain pills in the past but couldn't wait to get off of them.
    Hey Suzie,

The distinction between addiction and dependency lies in the "obsession/compulsion" factor; in other words, the primary difference is in our obsessive thoughts and compulsive behavior.

With dependency, our bodies become physically dependent upon the drug. Our bodies adjust to having the drug in our system. And so, when we stop the drug, we will experience physical withdrawal symptoms. Those symptoms should pass in less than a week (generally), and there is no desire to continue using the drug once we're done with it. We can put it behind us, and feel no need for more. Further treatment for pure drug dependency is not needed.

However, the fine line of addiction occurs when we cross into that place where the use of that drug becomes of greater significance. This is where cravings and obsessional thoughts occur. Over time, the desire for the drug becomes of primary importance to us, and we feel compelled to find ways to have it. Addiction is progressive; the need, thoughts and cravings will become worse over time. When it comes to arresting addiction, we need a lot more help to stay clean. The first week or so clean will mean physical withdrawal symptoms - but there is a bigger battle ahead, staying away from it. As addiction progresses, every aspect of who we are becomes altered by the drugs, so we need help to manage life without it.

On paper, it looks like a clear line between dependency and addiction. In reality, it can be a very fuzzy place. One thing that makes it harder to tell is that when we have genuine physical pain, we feel we can take the drug legitimately. Then, our disease plays tricks on us - it can actually cause or increase the physical pain, unbeknownst to us, to permit us to use more of the drugs. (I stayed lost in addiction for years, as the addiction developed out of innocent use of a narcotic for severe, chronic migraines. At the time, I had no way of knowing that my body was actually triggering far more pain, requiring more medication and keeping me stuck.) The only way that I can suggest sorting this out for yourself would require some very honest, deep soul-searching within yourself. Denial is a huge part of this disease, and self-honesty can be a very elusive thing. This is a disease that tells us that we don't have a disease. This is a disease that sets up ways to protect itself to continue - sets up pain, sets up denial, sets up justifying and rationalizing and all sorts of craziness that keep us sick. It is a complex, difficult disease to recognize or to manage.

These are not exclusive issues, as dependency can lead into addiction. There's no way of knowing. We can't predict how our body/mind will react to on-going use of an addictive drug. It does not matter of how much we use, or how carefully or responsibly we take it. There are internal factors that can not be detected by any test, and can only be found at autopsy. If you're interested, here's a link to that subject: http://www.drugs.com/forum/need-talk...ion-58760.html

I hope this helps - if it leaves you with questions, feel free to ask...

God bless,
    Ruth
    SuzieOf likes this.

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

thalia45 is offline Member

Default Hydro withdrawal schedule

I hate to admit it but I want to start a hydrocodone withdrawal (5-500).

What would be the scheduling? I have a prescription for 100...and instead of tossing the rest of the old prescription (as Robert suggested) I have been limping along.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I have the Thomas recipe in place.

Thanks (hanging my head for not being braver).
    Last edited by thalia45; 04-27-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: add

justanothergirl is offline New Member

Sounds like the same thing I've gone through. I used up the last of my perks last Friday. After having gone through 90 of them in about 10 days. I was a freak! I was popping them like tic tacs and knew I had to stop it. So, I'm on day 7 today. My lead suit is also gone. It's amazing because ON perks, my joints and fingers always ached. It never went away.Well, it finally went away. I still have very little energy and I'll admit I had a few glasses of wine last night, which I didn't drink for a long time while I was on pills because on pills, the urge and taste for alcohol just werent there...so, I had some wine and now I feel icky and I regret even doing that but I'm SO happy I made it to day 7. Keep plugging at it and hopefully you will feel more like yourself every day!

thalia45 is offline Member

Thanks for your answer; my DOC has been alcohol (which I quit while taking the pills and I DO NOT want to start that again. The Hydro helped with an injury and I followed the prescription; now I just want to taper so I can continue to work. (and just live with the pain). I want to be off EVERYTHING! But I will have a house full of people (funeral tomorrow) and need to be able to function.

Since I am at a low dosage now, a slow taper should not be too bad?

Quote Originally Posted by justanothergirl View Post
    Sounds like the same thing I've gone through. I used up the last of my perks last Friday. After having gone through 90 of them in about 10 days. I was a freak! I was popping them like tic tacs and knew I had to stop it. So, I'm on day 7 today. My lead suit is also gone. It's amazing because ON perks, my joints and fingers always ached. It never went away.Well, it finally went away. I still have very little energy and I'll admit I had a few glasses of wine last night, which I didn't drink for a long time while I was on pills because on pills, the urge and taste for alcohol just werent there...so, I had some wine and now I feel icky and I regret even doing that but I'm SO happy I made it to day 7. Keep plugging at it and hopefully you will feel more like yourself every day!

Sundwn is offline Member

Thanks JAG. Today is day 9. Yes, I feel better no doubt. But lack of drive and NRG ( energy ) still an issue. Solid food is a problem these past 6 days. Nothing solid I can even imagine without retching. Made pitcher of protein drink this morning. Threw in a couple of eggs. I have lost about 7 or 8 pds this ordeal. And I weighed 180. I had to wait a month to get into spinal clinic. I could not stand up straight. Slammed a lot of oxy over that month particularly. Going to be gradual I believe. ........yea, your joints no longer hurting is a good sign. And day 7! The lead suit time is often the worse. Congratulations JAG.....just remember.....you never have to go through this again......

justanothergirl is offline New Member

Thanks JAG. Today is day 9. Yes, I feel better no doubt. But lack of drive and NRG ( energy ) still an issue. Solid food is a problem these past 6 days. Nothing solid I can even imagine without retching. Made pitcher of protein drink this morning. Threw in a couple of eggs. I have lost about 7 or 8 pds this ordeal. And I weighed 180. I had to wait a month to get into spinal clinic. I could not stand up straight. Slammed a lot of oxy over that month particularly. Going to be gradual I believe. ........yea, your joints no longer hurting is a good sign. And day 7! The lead suit time is often the worse. Congratulations JAG.....just remember.....you never have to go through this again......
    Sundwn, thanks. I haven't really had any issues with my stomach thankfully, just the horrible lead limb feeling, body aches, lethargy, tired..no energy..no motivation, lol..however, I got on our lawn mower today and cut the grass and as I was cutting I kept thinking about the pills and realizing exactly how bad they made me feel. For so long my head told myself that they were making me feel good when in reality, after that first 2 minutes of numbness, I would feel bad again...Weird that while I was on them my finger joints and knees and everything would ache so bad and now they don't.....Apparantly they weren't doing a very good job of numbing pain anymore, only creating more. BTW, the cut grass smelled so good. I feel like I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I have a dr. appt with my spine dr. on May 11 and I'm really thinking about just cancelling it altogether cause I don't trust myself NOT to take a new script.

I really hope you get past the stomach issues and start feeling better....it's such a long process, but I just keep reading everyone's posts on here and I keep telling myself that the percocets really didn't help me in the end.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-27-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Sundwn is offline Member

JAG, if you have the energy to get on the lawn mower and cut the grass. Then bravo for you. Pretty sure you have turned a serious corner. And......you sound like it. Someone on this site once wrote " in 30 days it's going to be a good idea to take a pill" I really liked that. Going to remember it......I hope you will as well. If you are not having any spinal issues than yea, I would cancel the dr app. You can always re schedule say a month from now if you are more comfortable with that. Mostly, congratulations on day 7. Also,I read the piece you were talking about by Og Mandino.....very powerful

Sundwn is offline Member

To all.......
    this morning I was still sick, antsy, restless. No solid food. I did all the things I have been doing for nine days. Check the site, over and over. Try to read ( avid reader) go outside, come back in.....repeat. I tried Henry's CBT ( cognitive behavioral therapy ) lying still, breathing, positive thoughts. This calms the anxiety and restlessness.......it does work.....thanks Henry. About 3:00 the talons let go. The veil lifted. Do not know if I trust it. But it feels right. I got in my truck went to Salsarita,s ordered 3 large tacos, large drink. Brought them home and devoured them. I knew something was different and clocked the time at 3:00 . I am a little worn. But again I am starting to feel more, and more normal......may it last.......SD

Sundwn is offline Member

Today is 2 weeks to the day of wd,s. a few times I had thought I was released. Not so. But I just kept plugging along. It has been hell...........today I am free. This feeling is different. I feel like myself. I went out into the world today. Joked, laughed, patience to read paper, just an overall well being. Many of you know exactly what mean.....this feeling is different, and it is. I have done my best to help as many as I can here. My knowledge is limited to what DOC I have experienced. And what / how I dealt with it. The things I don't know I post to those hurting to hang on someone will reply soon. Thank you all so, so much for your support and helping me through this horrible time. I,m not going anywhere. Still checking in. Still want to share. Just saying again...... thank you all so very much.........what a day........I am alive again.....sundwn

Sundwn so glad to hear you are having such a wonderful day. It's too bad it takes so long to get out of the hole we put ourselves in or find ourselves in & fight to get out of. It is amazing how quickly things can go from bad to worse when dealing with the chemistry that makes up our body.. I hope you are at the end of the repairing stage of what damage the chemicals have done to you but please take it a day at a time because like I said before "everyone's situation is very different from another & some take longer some shorter" I have gone 3 months completely clean of EVERYTHING cold turkey & still never got myself repaired so just give it time. I am glad / happy for you.

Sundwn is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by disabledleo View Post
    Sundwn so glad to hear you are having such a wonderful day. It's too bad it takes so long to get out of the hole we put ourselves in or find ourselves in & fight to get out of. It is amazing how quickly things can go from bad to worse when dealing with the chemistry that makes up our body.. I hope you are at the end of the repairing stage of what damage the chemicals have done to you but please take it a day at a time because like I said before "everyone's situation is very different from another & some take longer some shorter" I have gone 3 months completely clean of EVERYTHING cold turkey & still never got myself repaired so just give it time. I am glad / happy for you.

' sup Leo ? Been wondering bout you man. Yes, I hear you. And you are exactly right. A few times I thought it had lifted only to come back with a vengeance. The feeling I have today is quite different. My appetite was enormous and I caught myself doing things without thinking about them first ( NRG level etc. ). I am keeping vigil of these physical and mental developments. The most important of all right now is that I am at peace. Have not felt that in some time. Want to say thanks man, for your knowledge and experience and for checking in. I know you had a rough post some days back. I hope those issues are more manageable if not dissappeared altogether.

Sundwn I can honestly say I'm proud of you & since theres no way of me knowing if you are on the up & up other than just believeing you ( & honestly I don't do that well but am learning) if & I really dont mean that in a bad or even being an ass its just some as I too am guilty have come on here & said "I've won " just to find myself in soo much friggin pain I go back so I'm guilty of it as well - ok enough rambling sorry I am in sooo much pain I cant sleep or even lay still in bed. I am proud of you & hope all the best to you. No things are not better for me & now that I find out today my doctor is out of the office & they just dont have a clue when he'll be back I will have to get my pain under control in the er I guess.
    Great job & I hope the best for you