Opiate and Alcohol withdrawal vs. Benzo and Alcohol withdrawal
    RottenApple is offline New Member

Default Opiate and Alcohol withdrawal vs. Benzo and Alcohol withdrawal

Hey guys, believe it or not I'm not trying to start an argument I'm just curious about other people's experience because they seem to differ wildly from mine. I was addicted to opiates (5-7 IR 30's, 100-140mg Methadone a day, alcoholic also) for about 5 years. I made a thread awhile ago about being in the hospital getting off opiates and then finding a general care doctor that put me on Ativan. I ended up addicted to the Lorazepam big time within just 4 months (big surprise right?, a previous addict getting addicted to some other form of medication?) I know this is getting long already and I apologize, to make a long story short (not really) I ended up drinking again, and taking 3mg lorazepam a day....I started to have blackouts, which i never had before even when consuming a fifth of whiskey plus opiates. I knew it was the new medication but kept on taking it.....things went out of control about 2 weeks ago when I got my perscription for 20 days, after just 2 days I remember starting to drink. I had maybe 3 or 4 beers and taken all 3mg of the lorazepam for the day......I woke up almost 3 days later with an empty pill bottle and lots of empty beer cans around me. I was told I made phone calls, called off work.....thank god never drove anywhere to my knowledge. This just made me completely irate, I have never been so irresponsible in my life, I really don't remember a thing about those 3 days......I'll get to my main question now. I believe that the physical symptoms of opiate withdrawal are far worse than that of Benzodiazepines, although I was using opiates far longer and in a greater quantity (save the incident I just mentioned). How could I survive taking roughly 50mg of Lorazepam over a 3 day period If I was only used to about 3mg. I ended up tapering off of the stuff in 8 days then had withdrawal for about a week after that, but it was nothing compared to my last opiate withdrawal. The thing about the Benzo's is that the blackout potential and overall lose of control made me alot more scared of Lorazepam than Oxycodone or Methadone. The withdrawal was not as horrid however, as many people say that benzo's cause a withdrawal that makes other drugs except alcohol and barbs sound like a cake walk. Isn't 4 months long enough to get a real heavy benzo addiction? I'm just playing games in my head right now wondering If I should get back on them to help curtail my drinking? Ok, thats about 10 questions, 4 times as long, and twice as annoying as I thought it would sound.....sorry for the long post.

Anonymous Guest

Hi there Rotten Apple. Thats not a very nice name. LOL You know , I dont know much at all about drugs accept what I have read here and my own experience. But a long time ago I was prescribed Ativan and the Dr. didnt even tell me they were addicting. I was out of control back then. I took them like candy and had to beg the Dr for more at times . Took them for about six months. It was 30 years ago. I ended up going to a new Dr. and when he saw how long I had been on the Ativan , he told me I was addicted to them and would have to stop takeing them. I didnt know a thing about WD or CT or drugs period. He said I would feel bad for a week and then get a little better each day. You know what, it was a long time ago but I dont remember it as being bad at all. But Hydrocodone is a different story for me. It makes me feel very bad when I WD even from low doses of 20 mg/ daily. I think not knowing I was going to be sick made it easier . But when you know what to expect , it sure comes at you.

Thanks for your input Flatsman. I have withdrawn from small amounts of oxycodone a couple times (15-30mg) and even that, if I had sustained it for more than maybe a month, would put me into some fierce withdrawals. I definitely agree with you about maybe not getting as sick because we didn't know what to expect and our mind ended up not playing as many tricks on us when we stopped the Ativan. I have read on here though about people taking like 10 or 20 xanax bars a day, I can't even imagine what that would be like. Maybe I am comparing apples and oranges too much with my original post because I really wasn't on a huge benzo dose, but was on what I consider to be a big opiate one. Everyones different I know, but for me, another opiate detox if it was a high level would probably put me in the ground.....it really does get worse everytime, I'm a firm believer of that.

Anonymous Guest

A Wd from a heavy dose of opiates scares the s-----t out of me dude, I have never used large doses , but have used everyday for periods of months to a year. I still think I can use for the times when my pain stops me from enjoying being active. But if I use for recreation , my pills go down the drain. These drugs if not controlled can destroy the best of us. Who am I to think I can beat the odds. But I really dont think I have ever exhibited some of the extreme behavior I have read about here. I dont mean that in an arrogant way. Im just saying. Thats not to say it couldnt happen. We are all just human.

Anonymous Guest

Yes Rotteapple, it was really strange but my ignorance of the ativan , I do believe made it easier. I mean I was an unhappy puppy for about a week . But these opiates are tougher to get off once abused. Only from my experience. Im not sure if I would say that now, if I had an Ativan problem. Bottom line, these drugs have a legitimate use and we all have to evaluate in our own minds if we are following the TRUE guidelins. Take care buddy.

Thanks man, I bet I'm more scared of a high dose opiate withdrawal than anything else I've ever experienced in my life (which is definitely a blessing), so I know exactly what you mean. I still think about opiates everyday and want to take them in the worst way, I don't care at all about benzo's I never would have the desire to take them again (haha unless I was in opiate withdrawal). Both addictions seem to have claimed so many people, and with my cross tolerance/abuse of alcohol I would have thought that I would have loved benzos. In my case, opiates literally had the propensity to completely ruin my life.....I haven't even been clean long enough to let my guard down the slightest bit and that takes me for a ride everyday. I doubt I will ever fully recover.