• 2 Post By GOLDA55
  • 1 Post By MetalDuckMFC
  • 1 Post By Opee
  • 1 Post By MetalDuckMFC
  • 1 Post By Opee
off vicodin now, but cant sleep
    gaming09 is offline New Member

Question off vicodin now, but cant sleep

so just got through the worst as far as withdrawal is concerned, but sleeping is a problem, i used to take a high dose prior to bed and sleep like a rock... im really having trouble fallling asleep / staying asleep, >> rather not take sleeping pills adn get addicted to something else, but lack of sleep sucksss. any suggestions?...please?
    Last edited by ddcmod; 02-07-2012 at 12:34 PM.

staysober10 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gaming09 View Post
    so just got through the worst as far as withdrawal is concerned, but sleeping is a problem, i used to take a high dose prior to bed and sleep like a rock... im really having trouble fallling asleep / staying asleep, >> rather not take sleeping pills adn get addicted to something else, but lack of sleep sucksss. any suggestions?...please?
    Im with ya bro, im on day 3 CT, sleeping is hard, its the worst thing for me. What day are you on,

gaming09 is offline New Member

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by ddcmod; 02-07-2012 at 09:59 PM.

cryin out is offline Member

Sleep does come back in time on its own, but I remember those first weeks of detox and the sleep stuff. One thing that I really feel helped me was melatonin and Peace Tea which is an herbal blend by Dragon Lady Teas with valerian and other nervous system tonics. I did not nap during the day and I also avoided stimulant beverages early on. Hang in there, it will come back.

Opee is offline Senior Member

Time, New Friend, just time. You can try Melatonin, tea, Heck Ny-Quil. Opiates have changed your brain. Sorry, but that's a hard fact to accept. I STILL have issues. Instead of staring at the ceiling, read a chapter of something light. Or, if you want to be like me, I alternated between books like "Pillhead", haunting my townhouse like a ghost, maybe posting, mostly not. I locked myself in a prison of my own creation. Everyone is different. One thing I do know that NEVER helped me was staring at the ceiling (maybe shaking, maybe sweating - maybe both or neither) torturing myself. Tough when you have a job, I know. I know SO badly...I can't express it in words. Tylenol PM has helped me, sometimes....

You've (unintentionally, no blame is being cast) changed the way your body functions and reacts. You aren't producing Dopamine or feelings of pleasure like you used to. Best advice - READ. Learn. Discover. If you have to be awake, don't waste in on Ronko's newest version of the "Be-Dazzler" on late night cable (hasn't been cool since 1990, if it ever was). Pick up a book.

Honest truth, the best cure for insomnia I've found is Chapter One of 'Great Expectations.' Great book if you give it it's due - that Estella sure was a piece of work, but 2 paragraphs about 'pork pie' and it's LIGHTS OUT, Baby!

Not making light,I know where you are. I know. Believe me, I know, Friend. You WILL make it. Just give your body some time. Put good things in it, like water, fruit vitamins, etc. You CAN reclaim your former self, but I would be lying if I said it happened overnight. Think of books you've wanted to read. I just read The Hunger Games Trilogy and it's outstanding and an easy read. Try it??

Keep us posted, WE ALL care.

Your New Friend,
    Opee
    Catrina likes this.
    That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

Catrina is offline Advanced Member

Opee is sooo right. I was one of the lucky ones. No. I didn't sleep either. I was lucky because I discovered really early on not to let the inability to sleep frustrate me. It only makes it worse. Old movies, books, lots of them. Even cleaning the bathroom. These usually didn't help me sleep but they passed the quiet hours overnight. If nothing else, I found it truly astonishing that I was able to go to work everyday and be productive on little to no sleep. If I was able to catch 2 or 3 hours, always broken I'd consider that a good night. How then, I'd wonder could my body possibly keep going? I don't know. Just like Opee said, we've done things to our brain chemistry that nothing but time will turn around. In retrospect, I never was a good sleeper and only slept 5 or 6 hrs a night and that was never straight thru anyway so the 2 or 3 I was getting although nasty, wasn't that far a stretch. In fact, after the 20 yrs I wasted being addicted, I had forgotten that getting more sleep was but one of the reasons why I started to abuse in the first place!

Try not to dwell on it. Naps and caffiene after my coffee in the wee small hours was a total no-no. What else? Time.

Peace,

Cat
    Opee likes this.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahil Gibran (1883-1931).

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Opee is sooo right. I was one of the lucky ones. No. I didn't sleep either. I was lucky because I discovered really early on not to let the inability to sleep frustrate me. It only makes it worse. Old movies, books, lots of them. Even cleaning the bathroom. These usually didn't help me sleep but they passed the quiet hours overnight. If nothing else, I found it truly astonishing that I was able to go to work everyday and be productive on little to no sleep. If I was able to catch 2 or 3 hours, always broken I'd consider that a good night. How then, I'd wonder could my body possibly keep going? I don't know. Just like Opee said, we've done things to our brain chemistry that nothing but time will turn around. In retrospect, I never was a good sleeper and only slept 5 or 6 hrs a night and that was never straight thru anyway so the 2 or 3 I was getting although nasty, wasn't that far a stretch. In fact, after the 20 yrs I wasted being addicted, I had forgotten that getting more sleep was but one of the reasons why I started to abuse in the first place!

Try not to dwell on it. Naps and caffiene after my coffee in the wee small hours was a total no-no. What else? Time.

Peace,

Cat

Hi Cat, I don't believe we have been formally introduced. Sure nice to meet you. As a Senior Member I know of your dedication and time spent helping others (although your post told me all I needed to know). I, too, have not slept well for 7 years, since my divorce. Opiates be came an emotional painkiller for me. Then you start throwing in the benzo's....I also don't know how I maintained a job during that time. A high profile job. There were days I was white as a ghost, imagined a got a few looks, nothing was said. Glasses covered the bags under my eyes. 5-6 hours is typical for me. Funny thing, and I posted this on my own thread, I didn't dream for 7 years. Crazy, right? The chemical that occurs in your brain is incredible. I just recently began dreaming again, I wish I could say they were all rainbows and unicorns...But, some are good and sometimes I wake up not remembering them (often, actually) but I know if they were good or bad. In hindsight, I was such a zombie it was probably best.

Enough about me.

Look, Pal, let us know how you doing. If we didn't care, and I'm going to go ahead and speak for the forum, (I trust you all approve this time) we WOULD NOT BE RESPONDING AND OFFERING ENCOURAGEMENT IF WE DIDN'T CARE. We so do. Because in one way shape or another, we've all been there. This forum probably saved my life. I have made so many friends I love and have never seen face to face, but speak on the phone, Facebook, email,etc. Don't care how many states (or continents for some of us - luy ya Cheeky) divide us, we are all just a key stroke away. If you can't sleep hop on the forum and read stories. Draw strength from them. I avoid Sub threads as I don't have any real experience and there are many others more qualified to respond. So I seek out those I have experience and offer what I can.

Stay off the pills, you're body will return to normal. Took me a year and a half...yeah. But I had good 8 year run going injesting amounts to kill an elephant. I'm 6"1' and 155-160 lbs.

Regards,
    Opee

Oh, Cat - absolutely LOVE your tagline. Perfect.
    brwneydgrl2384 likes this.

Anonymous Guest

Opee posting during the day!
    Hiya night owl!
    I still struggle with sleep but nothing like when i was on opiates.
    I too read to occupy my mind/time when struggling.
    Cat gave me the best advice ever for rls,
    she knows what she's talking about!
    Opee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwally View Post
    Opee posting during the day!
    Hiya night owl!
    I still struggle with sleep but nothing like when i was on opiates.
    I too read to occupy my mind/time when struggling.
    Cat gave me the best advice ever for rls,
    she knows what she's talking about!
    Yes, Vlad has risen from his coffin..HISSSS... it burns...

Yes, yes, read read read. Or watch a Scooby Doo re-run if you have to - whatever.

Please, do not stare at the ceiling, there's nothing worse. That's when I was tormented the most. Tossing, turning - old ghosts and actions I'm still ashamed of. RISE UP. Get up and DO something. Even if only TV on the couch. Or, pour over the forums and be constructive. Either way, don't punish yourself alone in the dark. I actually watched "Night of the Comet" (terrible 80's "film") because I could not sleep a few nights ago. UGH!

Make use of it as constructively as possible. But, that's just me.

Nothing but Love,
    Opee

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Opee View Post
    Yes, Vlad has risen from his coffin..HISSSS... it burns...

Yes, yes, read read read. Or watch a Scooby Doo re-run if you have to - whatever.

Please, do not stare at the ceiling, there's nothing worse. That's when I was tormented the most. Tossing, turning - old ghosts and actions I'm still ashamed of. RISE UP. Get up and DO something. Even if only TV on the couch. Or, pour over the forums and be constructive. Either way, don't punish yourself alone in the dark. I actually watched "Night of the Comet" (terrible 80's "film") because I could not sleep a few nights ago. UGH!

Make use of it as constructively as possible. But, that's just me.

Nothing but Love,
    Opee
    Scooby Doo movies are great!
    I myself watch waaaay too much news,
    read horror stories.....
    wonder why I don't sleep?
    "The Shadow" knew Vlad had risen.....

Scooby Doo movies are great!
    I myself watch waaaay too much news,
    read horror stories.....
    wonder why I don't sleep?
    "The Shadow" knew Vlad had risen.....
    You always did know what lurks in the hearts of men...I I just can't help liking the heck out of you, Shady. For 2 people that got to such a rocky start, it was repaired in one post and I love you to death! Don't normally take to people like that, but you I just did. "Baby, you're the greatest!"

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Opee View Post
    You always did know what lurks in the hearts of men...I I just can't help liking the heck out of you, Shady. For 2 people that got to such a rocky start, it was repaired in one post and I love you to death! Don't normally take to people like that, but you I just did. "Baby, you're the greatest!"
    Anybody that forgives me just because I say sorry.....".you got me babes"

Gaming....
    if you are still reading,
    Opee and I and many others struck up great friendships posting in the night.
    Sometimes I think it's a little more lighthearted at night.....can't sleep.....
    you also share your soul at night sometimes because you are alone in the dark.
    Obviously we still read and post at night sometimes.

Opee you cheered me up and kept me going many a night.....I thank you for that.
    So glad we clashed then didn't
    Comeback Kid and Opee like this.

Anybody that forgives me just because I say sorry.....".you got me babes"

Gaming....
    if you are still reading,
    Opee and I and many others struck up great friendships posting in the night.
    Sometimes I think it's a little more lighthearted at night.....can't sleep.....
    you also share your soul at night sometimes because you are alone in the dark.
    Obviously we still read and post at night sometimes.

Opee you cheered me up and kept me going many a night.....I thank you for that.
    So glad we clashed then didn't
    Gamey-

We seemed to hi-jack your thread, unintentionally. I took a sabbatical and there was Shadow and we just liked eachother. It's odd, I don't take to people so quickly, usually, but she's the glaring exception. True Blue. We'd love to hear from YOU.

Are you sleeping? Give us a sit-rep, OK? What's your status? This is YOUR thread!!

Shady - we are creatures of the night, that's for sure. Yet, I go to work at 8am including fighting for a parking spot, brown bagging it and still make it...somehow.

The first of hour at work I'm worthless, then I splash water on my face, dump ice cubes in my espresso and get it in 2nd gear. I'm just one of those folks that doesn't require 8 hours a night. 4 is the norm, 5-6 is a blessing. I save it up and sleep 12 hours Friday night (since I am SO done with bars) and it all works out.

<wolf howl>

yellowfrog777 is offline New Member

Default Vicodin Withdrawals -what I went through

I know what you are going through. Nothing ever had a hold of me except this. It took well over a month to feel somewhat normal. It's been 4 months and getting a little easier to be still. I wish now I had not stopped "cold turkey" but weened myself from it. I didn't realize I had a physical addiction until I stopped cold turkey. I googled my symptoms and found I was withdrawing. I started searching every forum I could find to learn what to expect. The best thing for easing my symptoms was exercise. It gave me back natural endorphins my body craved since it wasn't getting the artificial ones I'd been feeding after I stopped the vicodin I'd been taking for 2 years. For those who have just quit cold turkey here's what I went through. I hope this helps you and others.

Day 1 10/15/2011- About 10am I was wanting a Vicodin but I made the decision last night that if the guy at Bella Vita can get off Oxycontin then I can get off v with God's help. I don't feel like myself, I feel anxious. Reading stinks without v, I'm going cold turkey and will never use again. I told my hubby about my addition so he can help keep his v from and understand what I'm dealing with for the next couple of days.

Day 2 10/16/2011- No appetite, diarrhea, sneezing, using activated charcoal to detox, slept only 5 hrs as legs were tingling, chills and sweats sleeping, swimming helped, can't just sit around or feel uncomfortable in my own skin, can't lounge around reading magazines as without v it's not the same. I didn't realize my withdrawals would be so bad.

Day 3 10/17/2011- No appetite, walking helped, didiarrheasneezing, took lots of vitamins, activated charcoal to detox, slept only 4 hrs last night tossing and turning with sweats and chills, headache before bed, have to be doing something or feel terrible. I googled v withdrawals and found v was an opiate and what to expect in symptoms. Wow, this can last 5-21 days! I have to go back to work in 4 days. We are at CA Hot Springs and swimming helps. It's noon and I haven't eaten yet as I have no appetite.

Day 4 10/18/2011- Feeling little better but uncomfortable to sit around, sneezing, diarrhea, took lots of vitamins, took charcoal, slept only 4.5 hrs tossing and turning, came home last night from campout but still didn't sleep any better in my own bed. Back in my daily environment and I want a V.

Day 5 10/19/2011- Only slept 3.5 hrs last night as I couldn't relax to go to sleep, took vitamins and charcoal, diarrhea, sneezing, feeling better "in my own skin" today, just tired, flushed all my v when got home yesterday and shredded my rx receipts so I had no rx number.

Day 6 10/20/2011- Finally slept 8hrs last night with only 1 hr of not being able to sleep. Good thing because I have to go back to work tomorrow after a week off. Bowel movements getting more solid. Finally feel normal without withdrawal symptoms. Praise and thanks to God!

Day 7 10/21/2011- Slept only 3 hrs last night, 1st day back to work was busy and overwhelming and felt I needed a v but didn't, had caffeine a better trade. No other physical withdrawal symptoms. God is good!

Day 8 10/22/2011- Slept 6 hrs last night, sneezing, loose stool.

Day 9 10/23/2011- Slept only 5 hrs but better than the night before, sneezing, every day is easier except insomnia, loose stool.

Day 10 10/24/2011- Slept 5hrs last night, caffeine gives me liquid motivation to deal with work stress, loose stool, sneezing

Day 11 10/25/2011- Slept only 4hrs last night. Legs couldn't get comfortable. Diarrhea. 1/2 cup of coffee at work for motivation. Sure is odd. Been walking nearly every day for last 11 days.

Day 12 10/26/2011- Slept 5 hrs, loose stool, sneezing, walking every day, vitamins, lost 8 lbs.

Day 13 10/27/2011- Slept 5hrs, loose stool but getting more solid, sneezing, lack of sleep makes for long days.

Day 14 10/28/2011- Slept 8 hrs all through the night and exercised my legs just before bed. Loose stool, sneezing.

Day 15 10/29/2011- Slept 8hrs but legs bothered me for 2hrs in middle of night, sneezing, need caffeine in mid-am

Day 16 10/30/2011- Didn't sleep for first 4 hrs then slept 5 hrs, not much bowel movements in last week and those were loose. Hard to sit around, stomach upset from 4pm to bed.

Day 17 10/31/2011- Slept 4.5hrs, no solid bowel movements in 2 wks, sneezing&nbsp;

Day 18 11/1/2011- Slept 4hrs in bed then 2hrs no sleep then 4hrs in living room on air mattress, was able to read in Starbucks comfortably.

Day 19 11/2/2011- Slept 7 hrs changing sleeping locations, still loose stool

Day 20 11/3/2011- Slept 6 hrs as stuff on my mind, a solid bowel movement today yea!

Day 21 11/4/2011- Slept 7hrs last night, still no solid bowel movement, sneezing

Day 22 11/5/2011- Sleep is almost back to how it used to be with 8hrs, today is first day with entire bowel movement solid, still think about the relaxed feeling with v but only occasionally and not that needing.

Day 23 11/6/2011- Legs are still uncomfortable couple hrs a night but get 6-8 hrs sleep. Headaches in afternoons. Not drinking enough water to have bowel movements daily.

Day 34 11/17/2011- Didn't think I'd still be having diarrhea after 34 days. Need to drink more water as I'm barely drinking any. Still can only sleep a couple hours then wake up unable to sleep for 2-3 hrs. Taking caffeine in am. Walking nearly every day. Still hard to sit around with nothing to do "relax".

About Day 120 02/17/12- Life is getting back to normal. I can kick back at Starbucks and read but it sure isn't as relaxing. I still think about Vicodin when I read. No more withdrawals but loose stool never went away. When I come across a pill I had left somewhere I discard it. It has no hold on me anymore. If you don't use it don't start. It is the hardest thing I had to quit but am glad I did. Don't forget to pray to God for His strength to get you through this.
    Last edited by yellowfrog777; 02-20-2012 at 11:10 PM.
    Opee, GOLDA55 and yisitalwaysthis like this.

yisitalwaysthis is offline New Member

yellowfrog, that is one of the most helpful things I have read on here. Not to discredit all the wonderful support and information everyone gives, but having it all in one place is fantastic.

I am always wondering whether what I am feeling is normal. Should it really take this long? I know it is different for everybody, so detailed diaries like this are extremely helpful. Thanks again!
    GOLDA55 likes this.

GOLDA55 is offline Member

Smile Diary was great..we all wonder about "normal"

Everyone always wonders if what they are going through is normal, maybe we did something wrong? I know that everybodies normal is different, but the diary really helped to put your symptoms and match them to someone else's. I am 2 months clean after taking oxy's for two years and at first nothing I did seemed enjoyable without a oxy, It is much easier now, My good days are more than the bad ones, but I still never take it for granted. I appreciate every good day, and think about the bad ones, so I know I will never go through day 1 again. Can you imagine that reading without a vicoden is so hard, I could not see my grandchildren and enjoy them without a percocet, I could not really do anything without it. Now when I enjoy something I know it is my own brain doing it..very nice feeling. I am taking a herbal mood enhancer, alot of vitamins, and melatonin for sleep, but I know if I skip these I won't get w/d's, but they have helped. STAY STRONG, love Golda (grandma)

MetalDuckMFC is offline Senior Member

I know that feeling. I remember going 24 hours without large doses of narcotic pain killers, and even sending a txt was damn near impossible. EVERY step I took had to be forced. Standing up for more than 5 minutes was hell, then 15 minutes after scoring, I was super man. Cleaning my room, chatting my girlfriend's ear off.

That is no life. Not one worth having, at least. Yesterday I saw one of my clients, a girl that would buy 250 Roxies off of me every 2 weeks (I sold and did A LOT of pills), and she is still not clean. I could tell it had been a day or so since she had anything, and just by seeing her, I knew exactly how she felt. The look in her eyes, the shakiness, everything. I can't imagine ever feeling the way the she looks.

-Bobby
    yisitalwaysthis likes this.

yisitalwaysthis is offline New Member

Golda - You are so right. For me, it was also the things I wouldn't do while on vicodin. I did not want to drink - ever - while on the drug, so I just dropped out of some of my social circles that would meet up on the weekend. I am on Day 14 and I look forward to getting back out there and reforming these friendships that have slipped during the past 2 years.

Bobby - Your description made me really sad thinking back to how I was during that time. If my supply was drying up and I knew money wasn't going to be available, I would sit and count all my pills like they were the most precious things in the world. Once I did the math on when they would run out, I would cancel everything that was on my schedule for that time and just drop out of society. Really sad thinking back to those times and even more motivation to be rid of all this for good.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalDuckMFC View Post
    I know that feeling. I remember going 24 hours without large doses of narcotic pain killers, and even sending a txt was damn near impossible. EVERY step I took had to be forced. Standing up for more than 5 minutes was hell, then 15 minutes after scoring, I was super man. Cleaning my room, chatting my girlfriend's ear off.

That is no life. Not one worth having, at least. Yesterday I saw one of my clients, a girl that would buy 250 Roxies off of me every 2 weeks (I sold and did A LOT of pills), and she is still not clean. I could tell it had been a day or so since she had anything, and just by seeing her, I knew exactly how she felt. The look in her eyes, the shakiness, everything. I can't imagine ever feeling the way the she looks.

-Bobby
    Never again, Man, NEVER again. To be frank, "stomach issues" are still a problem, I hope I haven't done irreperable damage....Time will tell, I guess. Boy, it sure dies take one to know one - I can spot a junkie in half a second: dead-eyed, hollow, pale, it takes me right back where I was. While I feel pity, it gives ME the strength and encouragement to remain "on the path." Yeah, I, too, built a "spider-web network." Matt Dillon saidf it best in Drugstore Cowboy - "No clock-punching nine to fiver ever worked so hard trying to stay high as a doper." Close enough, I don't feel like digging it out of the Vault, but you get the gist. It was a full-time job on TOP of a full-time job!

Quote Originally Posted by yisitalwaysthis View Post
    Golda - You are so right. For me, it was also the things I wouldn't do while on vicodin. I did not want to drink - ever - while on the drug, so I just dropped out of some of my social circles that would meet up on the weekend. I am on Day 14 and I look forward to getting back out there and reforming these friendships that have slipped during the past 2 years.

Bobby - Your description made me really sad thinking back to how I was during that time. If my supply was drying up and I knew money wasn't going to be available, I would sit and count all my pills like they were the most precious things in the world. Once I did the math on when they would run out, I would cancel everything that was on my schedule for that time and just drop out of society. Really sad thinking back to those times and even more motivation to be rid of all this for good.
    I was Gollum with "my precious" literally doing math on the calculator just to try and keep from getting sick while waiting for the "big score." Pathetic, we are worth SO much more.

Opee, crouched on his rock in his basemet/lagoon, stroking my Norco's lovingly....I can't believe I never pawned my wedding ring, come to think of it (I'm divorced) - it's solid Platinum and bears a striking resemblance to The One True Ring. That and I could never get the temperature right for smelting it into a bullet...

MetalDuckMFC is offline Senior Member

Yeah, it still amazes me how many pills I needed, and the things I did for them. At one point, I was buying 200 Roxies for $2,000 a day, and selling 185 a day just to pay rent, and stay high. And I STILL managed to pawn my laptop, Playstation, etc. Astonishing.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalDuckMFC View Post
    Yeah, it still amazes me how many pills I needed, and the things I did for them. At one point, I was buying 200 Roxies for $2,000 a day, and selling 185 a day just to pay rent, and stay high. And I STILL managed to pawn my laptop, Playstation, etc. Astonishing.
    Just when you think you hit Rock Bottom, the floorboards break out from underneath.

I can't believe I am alive TODAY. By all known logic and mathmatic equations, I should not be. I'm either Supernatural, or Superhuman.....most likely, just lucky.

Still, I prefer Superhuman.....just sayin'...

kathleen5hockey is offline Advanced Member

Try Camomile tea or Sleepy time tea. Add a little honey, it's really tasty. It helps me.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleen5hockey View Post
    Try Camomile tea or Sleepy time tea. Add a little honey, it's really tasty. It helps me.
    Shadowwally and I just got off the phone after a 2 hour conversation - weirdo night owls that we are....I picked up some Melatonin today. 300mg, 120 pills and it was only $3.85. I've heard good things. Recommended adult dosage is 1-2 pills per night. I'm taking 1 now andseeing how it goes, maybe 2 tomorrow. Shadow is picking some up tomorrow and we're going to compare notes, we'll let you know our "findings."

I've tried Valerian Root and all the Sleepy Time tea's in the world and they never did anything for me, but everyone is different. I was surprised at how dirt cheap the Melatonin was, which was a big selling point. 120 pills that even if the max dosage of 2 tablets will last me 60 days for under $4 sure works for me.

nowismytime is offline New Member

I am on day 5 of going cold turkey and i kept my self really busy today i took a melitonin around 9:30 pm laid down around 10:30 and i woke back up at 11:30...i have absolutly no urge to use ever again in my life but is this normal? All i really want to do is sleep but my body just isnt allowing it.