Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Norco addiction...just tossed my pills
    jimmac23 is offline New Member

Default Norco addiction...just tossed my pills

Hi, I had my knee replaced 3 1/2 months ago and and am now addicted to Norco. Been taking 60-80 mg /day. I tried to stop three days ago and made it about 36 hours and was feeling so horrible I took more. I started reading up on this addiction and decided that I just need to suck it up and get it over with. I just took 10 mg and tossed my pills. It is Thurs. Feb 10 11:00 p.m. From what I've read, the next three days will be the worst. I've prepared my self with the Thomas Detox Recipe. I can share this recipe with anyone interested. Has anyone used this recipe? If so, did it help? I'm looking for any ideas that can help me get through this.
    Thanks

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by jimmac23 View Post
    Hi, I had my knee replaced 3 1/2 months ago and and am now addicted to Norco. Been taking 60-80 mg /day. I tried to stop three days ago and made it about 36 hours and was feeling so horrible I took more. I started reading up on this addiction and decided that I just need to suck it up and get it over with. I just took 10 mg and tossed my pills. It is Thurs. Feb 10 11:00 p.m. From what I've read, the next three days will be the worst. I've prepared my self with the Thomas Detox Recipe. I can share this recipe with anyone interested. Has anyone used this recipe? If so, did it help? I'm looking for any ideas that can help me get through this.
    Thanks

jimmac ....... The Thomas Recipe works great and I commend you for doing what you're doing before this gets totally out of control. I've had five knee operations so I know how you feel. Feel free to yell if there is anything I can do to help. You have all my respect for taking this action on your own! God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Default Thanks

Robert, Thanks for the words of encouragement. I will continue to post in the hopes that what I experience can help others as well as myself

oneistoomany is offline Member

Hi and welcome! It will be rough for a few days, but you will feel better before you know it. Mentally, it helps if you pretend you have the flu. Do all you can to get natural endorphins flowing through your brain. As hard as it is, do a bit of cardio when you can (if you have nice weather walking really helps.) I found that video games helped to get some endorphins going and helped to pass the time. Watch comedies-- nothing serious during detox. Drink lots and lots of water to flush your system out.

If you start experiencing anxiety and don't have xanax or a prescription for anti-anxiety meds use Benedryl. I also used St. John's Wort, L-tyrosine, Vitamin B and 5-htp (but I suffer from anxiety in my normal state-- so that is probably overkill for most people.) The Benedryl alone helps most people.

I am a little over 2 weeks from tossing my pills and I am finally feeling "normal".

I commend you on your decision to get rid of the pills and recognizing how easy they are to abuse.

Becky

Hi Becky, Thanks for sharing your experience and the encouraging words. I have the L-Tyrosine, vitamin B and SamE. I'm going to pick up some Benadryl as you suggested...whatever helps. I'm feeling nauseated but it's not too bad yet.

I'm glad that you are feeling "normal" again!

Did you just kind of just lock yourself up for the duration?

AnnieC50 is offline Member

Default jimmac

Hello Jimmac, Welcome to this great forum...You certainly came to the right place for help and support. There are hundreds of amazing people who will be there for you as you go through this journey...Oh and by the way, Congratulations on recognizing your addiction and taking steps to get clean. I would also advise that you pick up some immodium. It will surely help with that part of the withdrawls. Best of luck to you. We are all rooting for you and know that someone is always on these threads day and night so keep us posted as to how you are doing and someone will be around to help you out.

Hang in there
    Annie

nirvanamama is offline Junior Member

Hi Jimmac.. You gave me the courage to toss those evil little yellow things... My norcos will soon be in the hands of the tidy bowl man..lol.... We Can Do It!!

picablue is offline Member

GREAT JOB TOSSING THE PILLS!

That is HUGE. Really really HUGE. It's a little scary, but you should fee more free. I know I did when I threw my stuff out!

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

Hey J, you did the right thing by tossing the pills. You're correct about the 3 days being the hardest, most importantly though don't focus on it to much. The more active you are the easier it will be to get through it. Hot baths are a god send and the more activities you can do during the day the faster things will go. Night time is usually the worst, my key to getting thru it was to take my sleep aid and get into the bath until I started nodding off, get out and do a quick dry and hop into bed. Make sure your bathroom is somewhat warm, getting out of a hot bath in a cold room might just wake you up! Best of luck on your detox

Thanks everyone for your support. It's been almost 24 hours and I really don't feel too bad. Went to the gym and did cardio for 25 minutes then 20 minutes in the hot tub. I'm waiting for the detox to really kick in and kick me in the ass. The sooner it does, the sooner it will be over!

Nirvanamama, I'm so glad you flushed your pills!!! Please let me know how you are doing.

WE CAN DO THIS!!!!

oneistoomany is offline Member

Thanks everyone for your support. It's been almost 24 hours and I really don't feel too bad. Went to the gym and did cardio for 25 minutes then 20 minutes in the hot tub. I'm waiting for the detox to really kick in and kick me in the ass. The sooner it does, the sooner it will be over!

Nirvanamama, I'm so glad you flushed your pills!!! Please let me know how you are doing.

WE CAN DO THIS!!!!
    YAY the Gym!!! That is awesome. I pretended I had the flu for a week and dealt with symptoms as they came and walked when I could-- drank a TON of water. The anxiety may hit-- don't worry it is totally normal, just a symptom of withdrawals and gets easier and easier. It is the final symptom I am dealing with now.

You, Nirvana and Amanda are all doing the same thing at the same time.

What an AMAZING inspiration you all are!!!!!! I am so happy for you and so very proud~

Becky

nirvanamama is offline Junior Member

WE CAN DO THIS!!!!
    Hello Jimmac.. Im feeling much better then I expected, but it has only been 24 hours since my last pill... The anxiety is what bothers me the most.. How are you today? Keep me posted.............

staysober10 is offline Senior Member

Thanks
    jimmac23,

You took a huge, huge, HUGE first step by flushing the pills down the toilet. That takes a lot of willpower. I feel like you are on the right track and your getting off now before it gets a lot worse. I am almost going on 3 days without using. I decided to do it cold turkey. My true test is if someone calls me and says they have pills. I have such a hard time saying NO. I should of learned my lesson by now, all I am doing is putting myself back to square one again. Keep posting, I feel better when I do. I only have experience stopping pills cold turkey, so if you have any questions I will do my best to help.

Quote Originally Posted by oneistoomany View Post
    Hi and welcome! It will be rough for a few days, but you will feel better before you know it. Mentally, it helps if you pretend you have the flu. Do all you can to get natural endorphins flowing through your brain. As hard as it is, do a bit of cardio when you can (if you have nice weather walking really helps.) I found that video games helped to get some endorphins going and helped to pass the time. Watch comedies-- nothing serious during detox. Drink lots and lots of water to flush your system out.

If you start experiencing anxiety and don't have xanax or a prescription for anti-anxiety meds use Benedryl. I also used St. John's Wort, L-tyrosine, Vitamin B and 5-htp (but I suffer from anxiety in my normal state-- so that is probably overkill for most people.) The Benedryl alone helps most people.

I am a little over 2 weeks from tossing my pills and I am finally feeling "normal".

I commend you on your decision to get rid of the pills and recognizing how easy they are to abuse.

Becky
    Becky,

I wanted to reach out to you and say congrats. In the past 7 months I think I only went 8 days without using. You are doing great, please keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by nirvanamama View Post
    Hello Jimmac.. Im feeling much better then I expected, but it has only been 24 hours since my last pill... The anxiety is what bothers me the most.. How are you today? Keep me posted.............
    Hey nirvanamama, I feel prettty good...a little nausea and the runs when I woke up. Took the immodium so we'll see about that. I really had a hard time sleeping though. I have Restless Legs Syndrome and take 25mg Requip and usually have no problem. Last night a took Alteril, an all natural sleep aid for the first time. My restless legs WERE OVER THE TOP!!! It was horrible but I didn't take any more Requip, probably should have.

Other than that, been doing what everyone suggested, lots of fluids including Gatorade to replace the electrolytes, hot baths, vitamins and minerals. I really don't feel any anxiety so I haven't touched the Benadryl.

I'm really glad you're doing good, keep it up and keep me posted

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by staysober10 View Post
    jimmac23,

You took a huge, huge, HUGE first step by flushing the pills down the toilet. That takes a lot of willpower. I feel like you are on the right track and your getting off now before it gets a lot worse. I am almost going on 3 days without using. I decided to do it cold turkey. My true test is if someone calls me and says they have pills. I have such a hard time saying NO. I should of learned my lesson by now, all I am doing is putting myself back to square one again. Keep posting, I feel better when I do. I only have experience stopping pills cold turkey, so if you have any questions I will do my best to help.
    Hi staysober, Congrats on 3 days under your belt, that's great. The only advice I can offer is DON'T ANSWER YOUR PHONE If someone says they have pills say "NO" and "I GOTTA GO" and hang up! Please don't put yourself back to square one when you have already gotten through the hardest part. Keep with it, it will be over before you know it.

Jim

Hi staysober, Congrats on 3 days under your belt, that's great. The only advice I can offer is DON'T ANSWER YOUR PHONE If someone says they have pills say "NO" and "I GOTTA GO" and hang up! Please don't put yourself back to square one when you have already gotten through the hardest part. Keep with it, it will be over before you know it.

Jim
    Thanks Jim. If you can flush pills you have already down the toilet then I should be able to just say "NO". How much were you taking and how long were you using for?

Thanks Jim. If you can flush pills you have already down the toilet then I should be able to just say "NO". How much were you taking and how long were you using for?
    Staysober, I had my knee replaced on Oct 18. When I was in the hospital they gave me Vicodon but I'm not a big fan so they gave me the Norco instead. I didn't even know what it was or how dangerous it could be. When I got out of the hospital on the 20th they gave me the script and within days I was taking more than was prescribed. Not so much for the pain but for the way it made me feel. 3 1/2 months later I'm no longer in pain (actually I now have an issue with my hip) but taking 60-80 mg EVERY day. The last time i asked for another script, they questioned why and only gave me 60 pills with no refills. This made me wonder if I had a problem so I decided this would be the end of it and I tried to cut back but did not have much luck. On Mon. Feb 7 I took the last pill and said that was it. On Wed I had an appt with another Dr about my hip. It had been 36 hrs since my last pill and I was really hurting. I told this Dr that I was taking Norco for the hip pain and he gave me a script. I went to Wallgreens to pick up my pills and couldn't wait to take them. I immediately took 10 mg then 10 more. It felt soo good but really made me think about what was happening to me and what these pills are doing to me. I went online and read about the addiction and how to overcome it. It really helped reading about others who had gone through this (most were worse off than me). By Thurs evening I was convinced I had a problem, needed to fix it, and the only thing to do would be flush them and get it over with ONCE AND FOR ALL.

Staysober, I had my knee replaced on Oct 18. When I was in the hospital they gave me Vicodon but I'm not a big fan so they gave me the Norco instead. I didn't even know what it was or how dangerous it could be. When I got out of the hospital on the 20th they gave me the script and within days I was taking more than was prescribed. Not so much for the pain but for the way it made me feel. 3 1/2 months later I'm no longer in pain (actually I now have an issue with my hip) but taking 60-80 mg EVERY day. The last time i asked for another script, they questioned why and only gave me 60 pills with no refills. This made me wonder if I had a problem so I decided this would be the end of it and I tried to cut back but did not have much luck. On Mon. Feb 7 I took the last pill and said that was it. On Wed I had an appt with another Dr about my hip. It had been 36 hrs since my last pill and I was really hurting. I told this Dr that I was taking Norco for the hip pain and he gave me a script. I went to Wallgreens to pick up my pills and couldn't wait to take them. I immediately took 10 mg then 10 more. It felt soo good but really made me think about what was happening to me and what these pills are doing to me. I went online and read about the addiction and how to overcome it. It really helped reading about others who had gone through this (most were worse off than me). By Thurs evening I was convinced I had a problem, needed to fix it, and the only thing to do would be flush them and get it over with ONCE AND FOR ALL.
    Thats usually how addiction starts. In the summer of 05 I had surgery. Too make a long story short I went through several bottles of liquid perks due to complications with surgery. After the doctor stopped prescribing it to me I got so mad. I didnt know what this feeling I was having inside of me. I knew people that had pill so I would get it from them. This lasted a lil over a year until I graduated from college and moved out of state for a job. That saved my life. I moved to a state where I did not know anybody so I could not get pills. Trust me I wanted to get some from a doctor or online but I decided not to. I woke up and went to bed thinking about them all the time. Finally after about a month passed I slowly stopped thinking about them. With everything in life, time does heal all wounds. Fast forward 4 years and I moved BACK to the place I was origionally and guess what? I have used almost everyday for the past 6 months. Its a never ending cycle that just gets worse and worse. Glad you got off now, I really am.

Thats usually how addiction starts. In the summer of 05 I had surgery. Too make a long story short I went through several bottles of liquid perks due to complications with surgery. After the doctor stopped prescribing it to me I got so mad. I didnt know what this feeling I was having inside of me. I knew people that had pill so I would get it from them. This lasted a lil over a year until I graduated from college and moved out of state for a job. That saved my life. I moved to a state where I did not know anybody so I could not get pills. Trust me I wanted to get some from a doctor or online but I decided not to. I woke up and went to bed thinking about them all the time. Finally after about a month passed I slowly stopped thinking about them. With everything in life, time does heal all wounds. Fast forward 4 years and I moved BACK to the place I was origionally and guess what? I have used almost everyday for the past 6 months. Its a never ending cycle that just gets worse and worse. Glad you got off now, I really am.
    I just read this post from a guy 6 wks sober and it is inspiring me to get there

http://www.drugs.com/forum/need-talk...t-57583-4.html

Staysober, I struggled with alcohol for 25 years and found AA. Stayed sober for 2 yrs then went back to it about 5 yrs ago. From the day I fell off the wagon I hated myself for being weak but told myself I could deal with it this time. But as we both know, it's all or nothing. Tuesday I'm going to go back to AA and get that monkey off my back. Maybe this Norco addiction is Gods way of putting me back on track. Everything happens for a reason, right?

Well, It's been almost 2 1/2 days and It's not as bad as I thought it would be. Having a lot of trouble sleeping and just kind of feel down and nauseated. Didn't get to the gym yesterday but I'm going to force myself to go today. Even when I'm feeling good I don't always want to go to the gym but after i do I always feel so much better.

Well, It's been almost 2 1/2 days and It's not as bad as I thought it would be. Having a lot of trouble sleeping and just kind of feel down and nauseated. Didn't get to the gym yesterday but I'm going to force myself to go today. Even when I'm feeling good I don't always want to go to the gym but after i do I always feel so much better.
    Keep up the good work jim! 2.5 days is a long time for a person that was doing pills everyday. I am creeping up on my 4th day now. I had a hard time sleeping as well. I also get really bad hot/cold flashes along with sweating. Since I came down with a cold the same time I decided to go cold turkey, I took nyquill last night so I can feel better and that put me to sleep. Other wise I would of been up all night. Usually Restless Legs hits me bad but it hasnt yet(knock on wood). I felt the same type of symptoms you are going through now, it is completely normal. Gym is a great idea. I havent gone in almost a week but like you said after I leave the gym I feel great. Keep me updated, it is going to get better.

Keep up the good work jim! 2.5 days is a long time for a person that was doing pills everyday. I am creeping up on my 4th day now. I had a hard time sleeping as well. I also get really bad hot/cold flashes along with sweating. Since I came down with a cold the same time I decided to go cold turkey, I took nyquill last night so I can feel better and that put me to sleep. Other wise I would of been up all night. Usually Restless Legs hits me bad but it hasnt yet(knock on wood). I felt the same type of symptoms you are going through now, it is completely normal. Gym is a great idea. I havent gone in almost a week but like you said after I leave the gym I feel great. Keep me updated, it is going to get better.
    At 2:00 today I'm laying around and thinking that I've felt way worse than this and still gone about my daily business. So I got dressed and went out and shoveled snow and cleaned up. It was like 45 today and I needed to move around some snow left by the blizzard. Then I watched golf and went to the gym. Did 25 minutes of hard core interval cardio and sat in the jacuzzi. Then I went to an AA meeting but no one was there since I had the time wrong. I'm feeling really good right now. As far as I'm concerned, I'm over it. I might not sleep tonight and I might feel bad tomorrow. Fine, but I'm not going to lay around and let this thing get to me anymore!!! I'm going to work out, go to a meeting then have a nice Valentines dinner with my girlfriend.

So staysober, hang in there, the worst is over. I'll bet that at this point the cold is probably holding you back more than the withdrawals. Be strong and be very proud that you've made it this far. Try to get back in the gym and reverse the damage you may have done to your body and mind. I read that these drugs inhibit the production of endorphins so it's important to get you body to start producing them which it does with exercise. Please continue to keep me updated, you're doing great

Jim
    Last edited by ddcmod; 02-14-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Hey Jim, how did your day go today? I dont really feel too bad anymore. Just a little bit of anxiety and RLS. All will go away soon. I am glad you got out and got some things done, that really helps me becuase it keeps me busy and not thinking about pills. I got a call today that there were pills but I was already at work. So I was trying to figure out if I would of got them if I had the day off. Its so weird to question yourself on what you would have done. But if I did use, then I would of been upset with myself and started this whole process over again. I live in the east coast so it reached about 50 degrees today, it melted maybe half an inch of the 75 feet of snow we have gotten so far!! I believe you have day 5 coming up tomorrow right? Good job man, seriously. its going to a week soon for both of us!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 02-14-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Hey Jim, how did your day go today? I dont really feel too bad anymore. Just a little bit of anxiety and RLS. All will go away soon. I am glad you got out and got some things done, that really helps me becuase it keeps me busy and not thinking about pills. I got a call today that there were pills but I was already at work. So I was trying to figure out if I would of got them if I had the day off. Its so weird to question yourself on what you would have done. But if I did use, then I would of been upset with myself and started this whole process over again. I live in the east coast so it reached about 50 degrees today, it melted maybe half an inch of the 75 feet of snow we have gotten so far!! I believe you have day 5 coming up tomorrow right? Good job man, seriously. its going to a week soon for both of us!
    Hi Staysober, It's day 5 and i feel good, not great yet. Had a good day yesterday. A good workout, then an AA meeting followed by dinner with my girlfriend. I'm so glad that I'm going back to AA. It was 45 minutes of my time but I heard what I really needed to hear. Have you ever considered going to a meeting?

Now sleep is a different story. I toss and turn, and fall asleep for 15 minutes at a time. I finally fell asleep for 2 hours from 5 till 7. What can I expect, my body is used to me drinking and/or taking a pill to fall asleep. I figure it will take at least a week till I can get some half-way decent sleep.

I'm glad that you didn't have to make the choice of using again since you were at work. Did you tell the person with the pills that you were sober and you would appreciate him not calling you about the pills in the future. Be strong, say no and put it out of your mind. Yeah it's hard but you will be so glad that you did. You have gotten this far and you really don't want to start over again. And every time that you say no, you will be that much stronger.

Well you're doing great, keep up the good work and get to the gym!

Jim

Hi Staysober, It's day 5 and i feel good, not great yet. Had a good day yesterday. A good workout, then an AA meeting followed by dinner with my girlfriend. I'm so glad that I'm going back to AA. It was 45 minutes of my time but I heard what I really needed to hear. Have you ever considered going to a meeting?

Now sleep is a different story. I toss and turn, and fall asleep for 15 minutes at a time. I finally fell asleep for 2 hours from 5 till 7. What can I expect, my body is used to me drinking and/or taking a pill to fall asleep. I figure it will take at least a week till I can get some half-way decent sleep.

I'm glad that you didn't have to make the choice of using again since you were at work. Did you tell the person with the pills that you were sober and you would appreciate him not calling you about the pills in the future. Be strong, say no and put it out of your mind. Yeah it's hard but you will be so glad that you did. You have gotten this far and you really don't want to start over again. And every time that you say no, you will be that much stronger.

Well you're doing great, keep up the good work and get to the gym!

Jim
    Hey Jim,

The sleep will come with time, like you said about a week or two. Like anything your body just needs to adjust. I have never been to a meeting before, I have thought about it but never did. Unfortunately I relapsed tonight and took a few vicodin. This girl at work had and she gave me a few. Its like I didnt even think about how good I have been feeling and how I havent used in a week.. I just took them and swallowed them. I am so annoyed with myself. I didnt even have that urge like I usually do to take them but I did anyways, Felt good for maybe 5 minutes and that was it. I know people are going to post that things like this happen and not to be so hard on myself but this was a very idiotic move. I am glad you are doing well and being SMART about this. Seriously just keep going, I felt awful using today, I wasnt even happy during those 5 minutes. Keep posting buddy.

Hey Jim,

The sleep will come with time, like you said about a week or two. Like anything your body just needs to adjust. I have never been to a meeting before, I have thought about it but never did. Unfortunately I relapsed tonight and took a few vicodin. This girl at work had and she gave me a few. Its like I didnt even think about how good I have been feeling and how I havent used in a week.. I just took them and swallowed them. I am so annoyed with myself. I didnt even have that urge like I usually do to take them but I did anyways, Felt good for maybe 5 minutes and that was it. I know people are going to post that things like this happen and not to be so hard on myself but this was a very idiotic move. I am glad you are doing well and being SMART about this. Seriously just keep going, I felt awful using today, I wasnt even happy during those 5 minutes. Keep posting buddy.
    Hi staysober, Don't beat yourself up, just learn from the experience. Next time, just remember that it wasn't worth it. Look at it as a good thing, now you KNOW that it wasn't worth it. You will be less tempted next time. You've worked really hard to this point and you can pick up where you left off.

As for me, I'm feeling great. It's day six and I've worked out 5 of 6 days and been to a meeting the last 3 days. The meetings are so helpful because you listen and talk to people who've been there, made mistakes but have overcome. The twelve steps are about being honest with yourself and with others. Discovering your faults and asking GOD to take them away. Doing what is right. Looking inside yourself on a daily basis (taking it one day at a time). These are things that anyone could benefit from, not just addicts!

I'm getting tired, I decided that I wouldn't get into bed until I was totally ready for sleep. Maybe that will help my sleep issue.

As for your relapse........... "You can look at your past, just don't stare"

Jim

nobby02 is offline Member

I am coming up on 110 hours and I said I had a stomach virus.

hey jim,

sorry it took so long to respond. i appreciate the positive feedback. How are you doing? update me!

monorth is offline New Member

Default Help

hello all, I am reading these encouraging messages and think maybe I am not lost at this point.. I was taking Vicodin for a couple of years for scoliosis that i was diagnosed with, at first 1 to help with the pain, then more and more.. My husband has alot of back problems and he was given norco in 2007, i tried his and they seemed to work better. at first for the pain. then It was just to feel good, I went to my doctor and got some norco as well because of the liver damage in my family he suggested norco, and I was glad. at first it was just the dosage required, 2 years later I cant stop I take approx 10 per day. and my husband has no idea. what I am going thru and I dont have the heart to tell him, i am ashamed that I have done. this, I had a friend when i was younger addicted to pills and i thought she was crazy and here I am.. last night i tried to go without taking anything and i suffered, i told my husband i had the flu and didn't feel good, but i couldnt take it as i was alone and we had many things to do and i could be sick, so i took a few of his pills and felt better.. after reading your posts, I have emailed my doctor and told her my problem, and i read that she can give me meds to help with the withdraws, so i can get completely off the meds. I am waiting for her response and I am excited to see if this helps .. so far what I have read it does.. I know I will have to tell my husband because this is bottled up in me and I dont like who I am he said I have changed but doesnt know why.. I want to thank you all for these words and I pray to god, i can get thru this.. Thanks All.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast