Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
New Here...

Default New Here...

Hi,

I'm new here. I've been taking Norco 750/325 60 pills per month for two months. I picked up my third rx yesterday, and I'm scared of this merry-go-round. I've done this before. I've managed to stay clean with the help of AA for eight years, but due to arthritis got an rx for Norco. I know this is not good, and I know I need to stop taking these pills. My current usage is 3-4 pills per day, which is what I am rx'ed. Actually, I'm rx'ed 1-2 pills every six hours as needed, but I do not need to take them everyday, and I have been because I like the opiate haze of "checking out." I want to stop taking them because I know how fast my addiction escalates. I detoxed with the help of Subutex eight years ago. I am scared and I want to be done with this ridiculous facade of using opiates, as I know where it leads. So, I need help, support, and advice as to how I can get off of these pills.

Thank you for reading...

ClassiqueMom is offline Senior Member

hi changing seats..

it's good to see you know you're traveling on the wrong side of the road..
    you've found the right place for support and wisdom...
    taper.. cold turkey.. the choice is yours..

i really don't think your habit is to the extent that you
    would need subutex/suboxone for this go-around, tho,
    i certainly could be wrong.. somebody who's been there
    will come along soon and give you advice..

me? i'm just here to encourage and pray for you!

what ever plan you choose.. stick to it.. and be done with this!

allll my best! and prayers!, too!
    Classique MoM
    AKMom likes this.
    P - R - A - Y - E - R
    When life gets too hard to stand...KNEEL !

iloerose is online now Platinum Member

Hi! So you're taking around 30-40mg. of hydrocodone(norco) per day? My advice is to c/t. Throw them away, get the stuff for the Thomas Recipe (google or look on "featured conditions". Using subutex or suboxone is like using a sledge hammer to kill a fly. By the time you get to a 26 on the COWS worksheet, you'll be half-way or more through the w/d process. My feeling on that small amount? Just c/t and suck it up if you are serious about this. You will go through about seven days of felling like cr*#$!, days 3-5 can be the worse, by day 5 you should start feeling human again Then you have to stay off. That's where the real work begins. We will be here to support you whatever you do. You might want to try NA to help you stay off.
    Best of luck.

Iloerose
    Last edited by iloerose; 07-02-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    mottam likes this.

Thank you for the support, it is so appreciated. I wasn't thinking about using Sub for this go-round due to the low doses. I'm just scared, as usual, of the withdrawals. I am working today and tomorrow and then have the rest of the week off. I will not take anything today and hope that my low dosage will not put me into full-blown detox. Again, thank you!

Thank you Iloerose for your support. I actually still go to meetings and am very involved in the Program, so I know how stupid this is. I am hoping to bypass the withdrawal's due to the low dose and length of using time. Who knows I may be completely delusional...it wouldn't be the first time
    The fear of withdrawal's is the part that gets me...always has. Nothing changes if nothing changes.

rxqueen83 is offline Member

I agree with iloerose 100%. I stupidly went to METHADONE over a Vicodin addiction (the first time I went to Methadone) and ended up OD'ing on 70 MG Methadone and 2 MG Klonopin, and in turn, developing an even stronger Opiod habit which progressively led me to where I am today. Point being, if I had the opportunity to turn back time, I'd have gladly CT kicked the Vikes! Oh boy would I have! I'd give anything to go back to that point my friend! If you have the rest of the week off, I would stop taking the pills the day before you have a few days off, get the WD going, and by the time your into your days off your in full WD. You'll be physically done in about 7 days. Take ahold of this opportunity and run with it. I'm not making light of any addiction or WD from pills, IT STINKS. Plain and simple. But like someone told me: "Pill addiction, you have a monkey on your back. Methadone/Suboxone, you have a gorilla on your back". Don't get me wrong, I owe my life to Methadone and Suboxone; even though I almost died from it. They've allowed me to recover while keeping my receptors from tearing out of my brain and finding narcotics! But if I had that one chance, I'd be happy to go through Vicodin w/d and not get any help from ORT drugs. You can do this. I promise you.

Quote Originally Posted by rxqueen83 View Post
    I agree with iloerose 100%. I stupidly went to METHADONE over a Vicodin addiction (the first time I went to Methadone) and ended up OD'ing on 70 MG Methadone and 2 MG Klonopin, and in turn, developing an even stronger Opiod habit which progressively led me to where I am today. Point being, if I had the opportunity to turn back time, I'd have gladly CT kicked the Vikes! Oh boy would I have! I'd give anything to go back to that point my friend! If you have the rest of the week off, I would stop taking the pills the day before you have a few days off, get the WD going, and by the time your into your days off your in full WD. You'll be physically done in about 7 days. Take ahold of this opportunity and run with it. I'm not making light of any addiction or WD from pills, IT STINKS. Plain and simple. But like someone told me: "Pill addiction, you have a monkey on your back. Methadone/Suboxone, you have a gorilla on your back". Don't get me wrong, I owe my life to Methadone and Suboxone; even though I almost died from it. They've allowed me to recover while keeping my receptors from tearing out of my brain and finding narcotics! But if I had that one chance, I'd be happy to go through Vicodin w/d and not get any help from ORT drugs. You can do this. I promise you.
    Thank you, RxQueen. I wouldn't go the Sub route this time. I went with it eight years ago because I was taking 30 Norcos and 15 Soma per day. I just want off of these stupid life suckers...I get super lethargic and unmotivated on them, so why I take them is a conundrum. So far, so good. I haven't taken any today, and will heed your advice about being off the rest of the week to go through withdrawal.
    surfdog and ClassiqueMom like this.

ClassiqueMom is offline Senior Member

life suckers... yep!
    --------------------------

you can do it!!
    allll my best!, and prayers!, too!
    Classique MoM
    P - R - A - Y - E - R
    When life gets too hard to stand...KNEEL !

I have felt blah and clammy all day, but I am a whiny junkie, so any discomfort makes me snivel . I took 1 1/4 (750/325) at lunch to try to taper down. I have successfully tapered one time, many years ago, before my addiction was completely full blown. I am hopeful that I can taper this time to lessen the discomfort. Thanks for listening.

Fear of w/d is what gets us to put off the inevitable. I wouldn't think that you would have that difficult of a time at this point. Will you feel worse for a bit? Probably. Maybe even need some imodium, but after that 3-5 day mark, you'll be fine. This is very doable at that level, you know this as you've been around the block before. The w/d probably won't be all pleasant, but won't be as bad as if you were taking 100+ mg. per day. Yup our minds tell us: OMG, don't do this to us, OMG, I will be sick! because our mind doesn't want us to ruin the little pleasure trip. So basically mind over irrational fears. You can do this! Just get it over with and you never have to do it again! You know the fears are worse than the reality! Go for it!

Iloerose
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-02-2012 at 04:12 PM.

We must have been posting at the same time: I didn't see your last post. Yeah, we're all sniveling and whining, nothing to ashamed of, it's partly your mind playing games with you. You can do this! Hang tough!

Iloerose

Quote Originally Posted by iloerose View Post
    Fear of w/d is what gets us to put off the inevitable. I wouldn't think that you would have that difficult of a time at this point. Will you feel worse for a bit? Probably. Maybe even need some imodium, but after that 3-5 day mark, you'll be fine. This is very doable at that level, you know this as you've been around the block before. The w/d probably won't be all pleasant, but won't be as bad as if you were taking 100+ mg. per day. Yup our minds tell us: OMG, don't do this to us, OMG, I will be sick! because our mind doesn't want us to ruin the little pleasure trip. So basically mind over irrational fears. You can do this! Just get it over with and you never have to do it again! You know the fears are worse than the reality! Go for it!

Iloerose
    You are so right! The fear is what keeps us stuck...this is not my first rodeo. I am off of work starting Wednesday, and am planning to do just that. I know I am justifying my taper, but I just am hoping I can bypass the WD's all together by dropping my dose. I know I am rationalizing and justifying due to my fear of being uncomfortable...I would be rolling my eyes at anyone who was telling me what I am telling you, but I think tapering may be okay until Wednesday. I do not get loaded on 1 1/4 pill, it just takes the achey clammy feeling away.

That 1 1/4 pill just keeps you going. Keep doing that and you'll never get off of these. That's almost 15 mg. norco are 10mg. hydrocodone/ 325 APAP(tylenol). You know you can't totally bypass the w/d, Taper or not. "taper" can be an excuse to use. You are on such a low dose that it's senseless to try and taper and you've already proven that you can't take the discomfort of the w/d by taking way more than you needed to to overcome your symptoms, oh sorry, I just saw that you're trying to make it until you have time off, then jump! If you really are on only 30mg/ 40 mg. per day, you'll get through it! Our heads get in the way LOL. Just dump them wed. and get it over with. You know the drill. Good luck: Post as Needed. Hang Tough!

Iloerose.
    caughtagain, pgcc and Sunny mom like this.

caughtagain is offline Diamond Member

not rolling my eyes at all.... Just telling you that us addicts don't do tapers well. The only time I tapered (or said I was tapering) was when my trusty pill bottle was around empty. I was a hero then and professed how I was going to get clean "this time"... I am also not going to minimize hydro V oxy... WD $ucks... period, end of story. Know we are here for you and can guide you through the rough seas ahead, but at this point I would just go CT... How has tapering worked in the past... Sometimes having those few pills or the hope of a few pills messes with us and kicks up the level of WD... Been there too. Once the pills are gone and any means to get the pills is taken away, the mental freedom it gives us to focus on the task at hand is amazing. Us this as a journal and know people on here are great and will help and give their own 2 cents. almost 3 years ago (in a few weeks) i came on here and have not left. So welcome. All my best, Reid
    iloerose, surfdog and Sunny mom like this.

surfdog is offline Senior Member

Not much I can add except I agree with what has been said, as Reid put it we have been there. You can do this, if we could you can hang tight Dog
    ClassiqueMom likes this.

Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to post. I agree with everything you have said, and it is duly noted. One thing that surprises me is that I do feel clammy, fatigue, etc. I am definitely telling the truth on my dose 2-4 7.25/325 Norcos per day for two months starting May 8th. I am sucking it up, but I don't like it! Meaning the WD's. I have completely blown off work today and am just concentrating on getting "well." It's so crazy how you develop a habit so quickly. Again, I appreciate all of your comments and the time you took to write them
    ClassiqueMom likes this.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were taking more than you were: I didn't realize norco came in a 7.25 dose, thought they were all 10 mg. My bad, for the misunderstanding! Which is actually even better for you since your max is 30mg. I agree with Reid when he says that if we know that we have the pills around our minds play with us and make w/d worse (may be an old wives tale, but it feels real!). It is crazy how your head gets wrapped around the vikes! And you are doing the right thing: concentrating on getting well. Yeah, the clammies: hot one minute/cold the next, and yeah, the fatigue, but that will pass, as soon as you possibly can get some exercise to get your natural endorphens working again. Drink plenty of water/ gatorade. Find some movies to watch. You'll get it done before you know it!

Iloerose

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were taking more than you were: I didn't realize norco came in a 7.25 dose, thought they were all 10 mg. My bad, for the misunderstanding! Which is actually even better for you since your max is 30mg. I agree with Reid when he says that if we know that we have the pills around our minds play with us and make w/d worse (may be an old wives tale, but it feels real!). It is crazy how your head gets wrapped around the vikes! And you are doing the right thing: concentrating on getting well. Yeah, the clammies: hot one minute/cold the next, and yeah, the fatigue, but that will pass, as soon as you possibly can get some exercise to get your natural endorphens working again. Drink plenty of water/ gatorade. Find some movies to watch. You'll get it done before you know it!

Iloerose
    No worries, I didn't realize Norco's came in a 7.25 dose either, since I have not been taking pain meds for awhile. So far so good. Lazy yesterday, blah. Today is better.

pgcc is offline Member

If you have an addictive tendancy and are getting worried about how you are using hydrocodone you need to stop now before it gets worse. I started with a drug called nubain but quickly graduated to vicoden(or lortab, norco ect. all hydrocodone derivitives) or percocet. At one point I was eating 20 at a time. So 3-4 a day is not that bad. I would think you could stop cold turkey and would not be that bad off. Or you could taper yourself down from what your using now. Cut it a little at a time till you reach zero. I couldn't do that because the need to get high always overrid the need to taper for me. You may be able to. If you can taper you can get off with minimal to no pain or wd. Then find a good anti-inflamatory for your medical condition, stay away from opiates. I figured the Dr. was giving them to me so its ok. Well I wound up addicted to >>>>>> and then on a methadone clinic all starting just like you are right now. When I started 2 vicoden would get me high for hours, by the end I wouldn't feel 20. Do yourself a favor and quit now while it still will be fairly manageable. Because real hydrocodone wd or oxycodone wd is f'in hell, I really don't think its much easier than >>>>>> wd. And never think your above falling very, very far into addiction. I graduated 2cnd in my class from college w/ a 3.98 gpa. Had the whole world ahead of me headed to a top 15 law school and I blew it all over opiates. Now 10 years later I'm still trying to get things right and as time goes by we get worse, we lose more things, we feel worse about ourselves so all that makes quitting that much harder. Believe me if I could go back to where you are, and I was right there at one point taking a couple a day, I would do whatever i had to to stop. I can't go back in time but you can learn from my mistake and get the hell off those norcos now. If I were you I would dump them or give them to someone and let them taper you off. TODAY.

pgcc is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Switching Seats on the Titanic View Post
    Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to post. I agree with everything you have said, and it is duly noted. One thing that surprises me is that I do feel clammy, fatigue, etc. I am definitely telling the truth on my dose 2-4 7.25/325 Norcos per day for two months starting May 8th. I am sucking it up, but I don't like it! Meaning the WD's. I have completely blown off work today and am just concentrating on getting "well." It's so crazy how you develop a habit so quickly. Again, I appreciate all of your comments and the time you took to write them
    If you think the wd is bothersome now go back to the pills and just wait till your taking 20-40 a day. Which will happen if you continue, eventually. What your feeling now is nothing compared. If you get through this you never have to do it again and it can be over for good. I hope you do.

Quote Originally Posted by pgcc View Post
    If you have an addictive tendancy and are getting worried about how you are using hydrocodone you need to stop now before it gets worse. I started with a drug called nubain but quickly graduated to vicoden(or lortab, norco ect. all hydrocodone derivitives) or percocet. At one point I was eating 20 at a time. So 3-4 a day is not that bad. I would think you could stop cold turkey and would not be that bad off. Or you could taper yourself down from what your using now. Cut it a little at a time till you reach zero. I couldn't do that because the need to get high always overrid the need to taper for me. You may be able to. If you can taper you can get off with minimal to no pain or wd. Then find a good anti-inflamatory for your medical condition, stay away from opiates. I figured the Dr. was giving them to me so its ok. Well I wound up addicted to >>>>>> and then on a methadone clinic all starting just like you are right now. When I started 2 vicoden would get me high for hours, by the end I wouldn't feel 20. Do yourself a favor and quit now while it still will be fairly manageable. Because real hydrocodone wd or oxycodone wd is f'in hell, I really don't think its much easier than >>>>>> wd. And never think your above falling very, very far into addiction. I graduated 2cnd in my class from college w/ a 3.98 gpa. Had the whole world ahead of me headed to a top 15 law school and I blew it all over opiates. Now 10 years later I'm still trying to get things right and as time goes by we get worse, we lose more things, we feel worse about ourselves so all that makes quitting that much harder. Believe me if I could go back to where you are, and I was right there at one point taking a couple a day, I would do whatever i had to to stop. I can't go back in time but you can learn from my mistake and get the hell off those norcos now. If I were you I would dump them or give them to someone and let them taper you off. TODAY.
    Thank you for your post. Your story is very similar to mine. I was very addicted to Norco/Soma and then >>>>>> and have been clean and sober for eight years. I stupidly started taking Norco for a cyst/arthritis in my knee. I got scared based on my previous experience and because I was liking taking them. It was at that point I realized I had been taking them for two moths and had developed a habit, a small habit, but definitely a habit. Withdrawals scare me based on my past experience. I know this is a slippery slope and was able to stop the madness before I was too far down the road, thank God. I appreciate your post. I agree, addiction does not care what your GPA is or how many degrees you have. I have heard many times that addiction doesn't care if you are from Park Place or the park bench, it is an equal opportunity disease. I know this to be true.

Hey there! How are you doing? Did you dump your pills? I'm glad you're feeling some better! Hopefully with the low dose, you'll get through this with relative ease!

Peace,

Iloerose

Switching,just checking to see how you are doing Dog

Hey there! How are you doing? Did you dump your pills? I'm glad you're feeling some better! Hopefully with the low dose, you'll get through this with relative ease!

Peace,

Iloerose
    Hey Iloerose,

Thanks for checking in on me! Yes, pills are dumped and I am feeling waaaayyy better. Went to the gym and did 30 mins. of the Stair Mill. Last night I walked about a half a mile. I was feeling lethargic and unmotivated, which I hate because I am a big exerciser. It clears my head. I'm glad I have a healthy fear of opiates. I certainly don't want to circle the drain, again.
    caughtagain likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by surfdog View Post
    Switching,just checking to see how you are doing Dog
    Thanks for checking on me, Dog! I really appreciate the support. I am good today. Got some exercise, which gets my out of my head. I'm back on track sans opiates. I am n PT for my knee, and have been taking Aleve. This little dance with the devil scared me because of my previous experience. This is exactly why they say this disease is so insidious. I work a program and am active in service, but this I still decided to take pills. Insanity!

Remember, crazy is good for us, it's that damn insanity that kills us Work you're program you will do fine Dog

I love that "circle the drain again"! That's too funny, but so true. Glad you're doing well, you're story is inspiring because it shows others just how quickly those little devils get us again.

Iloerose

I love that "circle the drain again"! That's too funny, but so true. Glad you're doing well, you're story is inspiring because it shows others just how quickly those little devils get us again.

Iloerose
    In reflection, I can see where my intention was good, but turned to "victimhood, and poor me." I started out just wanting PT because I thought my knee was tracking wrong due to years of running. As time went on, and the MRI came back, I thought I needed pills. Subconsciously I know my disease was in full control at that point. I hope my story helps others who are in recovery and think that they can take pain pills, again.

caughtagain is offline Diamond Member

Glad to hear you are moving in the right direction Titanic.. I can relate to the MRI results = pills. When I hurt my back, the dr was hesitant to perscribe pills, but once the results came back... He wrote away.. I think we as addicts always try to look for that "reason" to use instead of a method NOT too. Proud of you! keep it up.. All my best, Reid

Quote Originally Posted by caughtagain View Post
    Glad to hear you are moving in the right direction Titanic.. I can relate to the MRI results = pills. When I hurt my back, the dr was hesitant to perscribe pills, but once the results came back... He wrote away.. I think we as addicts always try to look for that "reason" to use instead of a method NOT too. Proud of you! keep it up.. All my best, Reid
    Thanks Reid! Doctors appointments always equaled "opportunities" for me in the past. Clearly, that's still the case. I need to be more diligent about my motives prior to visiting the Doc.

I have PT, again, today and will work out as well. That's what makes me feel better. Thank you for your post!
    caughtagain likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast