Nerve Pain in my Feet
    TeamLexana is offline New Member

Default Nerve Pain in my Feet

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion for how to treat nerve pain. I'm only 30 and I can barely get around the house do to the pain in my feet and I've been batteling this for YEARS now.

Primary care doctor threw up their hands and said they didn't know what was wrong and to take fish oil and glucosamine but did recognize I had a unusual ammount of inflamation in my blood. Foot care doctor was a crock who just sold me very expensive inserts that my insurance wouldn't pay a dime for. Joint care doctor said it wasn't arthirities but prescribed dicolefenac sodium and that does nothing for the pain nor the swelling.

I finally found a doctor that says it may be nerve pain due to a possible birth defect in my spine that's pinching the nerves and has prescribed Gabapentin and has scheduled an MRI of my back. The Gabapentin seems to help alot with the RLS type systems, so I don't wake up in the middle of the night with horrible and sudden cramps in my feet and calfs. But not much else, I still can't even stand long enough to shower, I have a freaking chair I have to sit on in the shower. I can't bathe in a bathtub either, I can't seem to get back out afterwards, it's THAT BAD.

I've tried everything I can think of, better diet, stretching, elevating my feet above my heart, rubbing my feet, rubbing my feet with special oils, expensive special shoes, ridiculesly expensive shoe inserts, the Gabapentin. Icing them used to provide some relief, ice water in particular used to feel real good once I could force myself to shove my feet all the way in there and hold 'em - the swelling would go way down as well but I can't even do that any more. The last time I tried, it strangely burned even though it was cold, that make any sense? It burned bad too, even after taking my feet out it continued to burn for several mins.

The foot doctor did try to give me cortisone injections (I think he said it was called, it was a needle and he stuck me with something that was suspose to help with pain, lol) around the areas I hurt the most which was around the arches and up near my toes but they didn't do a thing.

Doctors in the past have sparadicly given me Tramadol but I don't like it. It does provide some relief but it can also make me very sick to my stomach and it can knock me out. I'd honestly like to avoid such narcotic drugs and focus on healing whats wrong, not putting a bandaid on the sympton. But it just hurts so bad, I don't know what to do. I'm missing out on so much of my life because of the pain.

Should I go ahead and ask for a stronger drug then Gabapentin? Something with narcotic, opiod, whatever the term is, lol. I don't know how to ask for it without comming off as a druggie looking for a hit, I mean if the doctor thought I needed it, he'd prescribe it wouldn't he? I'm scared at the same time too because I know how addictive those kinds of drugs are and there doesn't seem to be any clear cut answer as to whether what's causing the pain can be cured. So what am I suspose to do? Beg for drugs from the doctors office for the rest of my life? I just don't know what to do. Sorry to be so depressive but I'm desperate and frankly angry that it's taken years for the doctors to come to conclusion it's possibly nerve damage.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TeamLexana View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion for how to treat nerve pain. I'm only 30 and I can barely get around the house do to the pain in my feet and I've been batteling this for YEARS now.

Primary care doctor threw up their hands and said they didn't know what was wrong and to take fish oil and glucosamine but did recognize I had a unusual ammount of inflamation in my blood. Foot care doctor was a crock who just sold me very expensive inserts that my insurance wouldn't pay a dime for. Joint care doctor said it wasn't arthirities but prescribed dicolefenac sodium and that does nothing for the pain nor the swelling.

I finally found a doctor that says it may be nerve pain due to a possible birth defect in my spine that's pinching the nerves and has prescribed Gabapentin and has scheduled an MRI of my back. The Gabapentin seems to help alot with the RLS type systems, so I don't wake up in the middle of the night with horrible and sudden cramps in my feet and calfs. But not much else, I still can't even stand long enough to shower, I have a freaking chair I have to sit on in the shower. I can't bathe in a bathtub either, I can't seem to get back out afterwards, it's THAT BAD.

I've tried everything I can think of, better diet, stretching, elevating my feet above my heart, rubbing my feet, rubbing my feet with special oils, expensive special shoes, ridiculesly expensive shoe inserts, the Gabapentin. Icing them used to provide some relief, ice water in particular used to feel real good once I could force myself to shove my feet all the way in there and hold 'em - the swelling would go way down as well but I can't even do that any more. The last time I tried, it strangely burned even though it was cold, that make any sense? It burned bad too, even after taking my feet out it continued to burn for several mins.

The foot doctor did try to give me cortisone injections (I think he said it was called, it was a needle and he stuck me with something that was suspose to help with pain, lol) around the areas I hurt the most which was around the arches and up near my toes but they didn't do a thing.

Doctors in the past have sparadicly given me Tramadol but I don't like it. It does provide some relief but it can also make me very sick to my stomach and it can knock me out. I'd honestly like to avoid such narcotic drugs and focus on healing whats wrong, not putting a bandaid on the sympton. But it just hurts so bad, I don't know what to do. I'm missing out on so much of my life because of the pain.

Should I go ahead and ask for a stronger drug then Gabapentin? Something with narcotic, opiod, whatever the term is, lol. I don't know how to ask for it without comming off as a druggie looking for a hit, I mean if the doctor thought I needed it, he'd prescribe it wouldn't he? I'm scared at the same time too because I know how addictive those kinds of drugs are and there doesn't seem to be any clear cut answer as to whether what's causing the pain can be cured. So what am I suspose to do? Beg for drugs from the doctors office for the rest of my life? I just don't know what to do. Sorry to be so depressive but I'm desperate and frankly angry that it's taken years for the doctors to come to conclusion it's possibly nerve damage.
    Hi!
    I have MS with periphial neurapathy. I'm sorry about your feet. Not fun, I know. I used to be on pain meds for various symptoms....I'm off now and glad of it. It sounds like the Gabapentin is working some for you, I'm glad for that.
    Sometimes my feet are so hot and itchy from the inside out, I do what you've tried, and cool them down.......walking (hard I know) seems to help.
    Other times they will become ice cold, numb and miserable. When that starts to happen I immediately put on several pair of socks, and then wrap them as tight as I possibly can. This seems to keep them from getting so bad I can't walk at all.

For hot or cold......for me......pressure helps the most.
    Wish I could have been of more help.
    Let me know if you have any questions you think I may help with.
    Best of luck,
    Marian

TeamLexana is offline New Member

I wish I could ice them, I'm afraid to try it again after what happened last time. It literally felt like I lit them on fire. Which makes no sense I know because they were freezing cold because of the ice.

I've had this constant pulsing on the bottom of left foot for three weeks now that's sore and is driving me insane. The pulse might go away for a few days and the foot will feel a bit numb but then the pulse comes right back like it was never gone.

Anonymous Guest

TeamL
    I so so empathize! My feet drive me crazy. Im on cymbalta, I think it helps a little.
    I've never found much relief.
    Neurapathy is something I just put up with because I don't like all the meds they give you for the symptoms.
    Im sorry I'm not of much help!
    Good luck!
    Marian