need to switch back to methadone from suboxone
    Suri is offline New Member

Default need to switch back to methadone from suboxone

I really need help on this one. I was in methadone treatment for 3 yrs. 20mg for vicodin dependency. Methadone changed my life for the better but decided I didn't want to go through the clinic life anymore. 5 weeks ago I switched from methadone to suboxone, but I am not doing well with suboxone. I have terrible side effects, getting my depression and anxiety back, feel achey all the time, headaches low low energy etc... I called my sub doctor and he stated suboxone wasn't the medication for me. Now, I am thinking about going back on a very low dose methadone. 5 to 10mg, however can I switch back to methadone right away? I am very scared, I went to my clinic today to discuss my situation with them, and they seem not to know to much about this. Where do I turn? Has anyone been on methadone then switched to suboxone, but decided the sub wasen't working for you, and decided to go back to methadone? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thankyou,
    Suri

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Yes,go back to your clinic and tell them what's happened.Don't worry buprenorphene isn't for everyone especially long term methadone patients.You need like you say to get back on a low dose and that should fix you right up.Good luck and get ahold of your clinic asap.....Dave

Suri is offline New Member

Thankyou Dave, I am very concerned about switching back to a low dose of methadone being on the suboxone. I have been taking 8mg of suboxone fore a month now and expereincing awful depression and terrible side effects. Are you positive, I can switch right now, to methadone? will I go through withdrawals? I'm scared, and my clinic doesn't have much knowledge with the switch. I also take Lexapro, ativan, and trazodone (low doses, which I was on during my methadone treatment before) and I don't want to have breathing problems with the mixture of meds. Please let me know, or guide me to someone that knows. Have you tried suboxone? and or switched back to methadone without any problems?

Thanks so much Dave,

suri

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

I'm pretty sure you can switch right back without going into withdrawls.If you were going do it the other way and stop methadone and go on bup then you would go into withdrawls as the bup pushes everything off the receptors.If you can don't take your sub the day you go to the clinic that way if they dose you it should help.Good luck and let us know how you made out.Hang in there.....Dave