Need help been On Fentanyl patches for a year now...
    painsucks84 is offline New Member

Post Need help been On Fentanyl patches for a year now...

Hello there, I am new to this as of today so just learning how to use this site....
    I am cuurently on the Mylan brand and at 50mcg every 48 hours. I was at first using them evey 72 hours but my body has built up a tolerance to this medication which requires me to change them every 48 hours. The problem i am having though is on the 2nd day i am in a lot of pain when i wake up in the morning. Right now I have been calling around to all the pharmacys in my city to find out which brand they carry cause im thinking about switching to a new one. I just dont know which brand is better. The other problem is i dont take anything for break through pain and my dr wont perscribe anything to me. she currently has me on Skelaxen for muscle relaxation and Klonipin for my sever anxiety that i have... due to being in pain every day and going into withdrawl every 2 days. The skelaxen doesnt do anything for me what so ever and I think i need to up my dose of Klonipin to 2mg 3 times a day instead on 1mg 3 times a day. I just had major suregery done a few months ago and now im still having the same issue. My dr told me i will be in pain for the rest of my life due to having a compressed spinal cord and Cysts on my spine, as well as having spine abifida. I did have most of them removed but the surgeon couldnt get to the rest of them cause they are too close to some major nerves back there. I guess now i have to see a pain management dr for medication and my question to you or anyone on here is what is the best thing for break through pain. I do not want to go up to 75mcg on the patch im trying to stay at 50mcg as long as i can. One of my family members is on MS contin 30mg ER and MS contin 30mg IR... she has given me a few of the ER's and IR's and i like the Instant Release alot better cause it takes away that morning pain we all wake up with every morning within 2-5 mins. what are anyones out take on my issues, i am clueless on what to do!!
    HELP PLEASE....

Thanks guys

Anonymous Guest

Hey pain...
    I've gone off the patches but don't don't know anything about what to use for more pain relief.
    My experience with the patches was that I experienced tolerance and was in constant withdrawal so went off of them.
    I'm now in much less pain because the opiates cause pain.
    I personally think life on the patches is horrible.
    I wish you the best of luck!

what patches did you use? thats what my problem is right now i am building up a tolerance and going into withdrawl by the middle or end of second day...

thank you too btw

Restlessly is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by painsucks84 View Post
    what patches did you use? thats what my problem is right now i am building up a tolerance and going into withdrawl by the middle or end of second day...

thank you too btw
    I spent a couple years on Fentanyl patches. Watson are the ones that had the gel in them....and Mylan was the best of the two. I went from 25 mcg every 72 hours up to 150mcg within 30 days or so....I dont remember how long it took to jump like that.

I never thought they did anything for my pain. My doctor was insistent that I use them and stop taking as many vicodin. After almost 2 years I decided to stop them. It wasnt fun but it also wasnt devastating. I just started weaning away....putting more days between changing them, changing only one rather than both. Often >> take them off to shower and forget to put em back on.

>> rather take some vicodin than mess with those nasty patches. I take less and get better pain control.

I was diagnosed with Chronic pain probably 20 years ago and more recently Fibromyalgia following a semi truck accident. I had lots of titanium steel joints, pins plates and screws. I have a fractured neck in 3 places and my back has been broken twice. So yeah....I know pain. Ive had 28 plus surgeries in numerous attempts to fix prior damage. ~sigh~ It never worked.

But I'll be honest....the best of pain meds wont stop the pain, they merely numb it a little. >> rather have a little pain, take minimal pain meds, work and play full time and enjoy some semblance of life before >> risk using Fentanyl patches. I think they're dangerous, horribly addicting and very hard to withdraw from.

Whatever you do I wish you much success. Stay Safe

~Restlessly™.

Thank you for the feedback Restlessly!

The problem i have is i used to take pills like norco and percocet and it started to become a problem, so thats why i had to switch over to the patches but now like i said before they arent lasting as long as they should because of the tolerance i have built up over the years. I think i need something for breakthrough pain in the morning and in the evening, thats when im in the most pain. i see a pain managment dr next month so maybe he can figure out what is the right thing for me.

~painsucks84~