Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By rxqueen83
  • 2 Post By bppb
Need ADHD advice
    bppb is offline Member

Default Need ADHD advice

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows a little something about medication for ADHD for adults. I am an addict in the process of trying to taper off of suboxone. I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child but when I told my parents that I didn't like the way it made me feel at age 12 they took me off of it. I have experienced it my entire life. Not really dealing with it appropriately. I have a short fuse and it affects my daily living. It affects everything I do, my job, my relationships, my life style. I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat or has some experience with this. I would like to say that I am clean and off of all drugs and I dont and wont take anything else, I am not sure if I would consider this medication a drug. If it helps and improves my behavior and attitude then I think it would be in my best interest. I have gone to a psychologist and spoke with her and have another appointment to go back and follow up. Not sure if they will even prescribe me medication but I am looking for advice now just incase that is the road they recommend me to take. Would you think that I should try to control myself and adjust to this lifestyle to get me through the days so that I can be an addict in recovery here hopefully within the next month or so or would this medication be beneficial?

rxqueen83 is offline Member

The standard treatment for ADHD seems to be either Adderall or Ritalin. Both of these drugs have a potential for abuse. Your Psych may be hesistant to prescribe them to you if you have a history of addiction. Maybe, not 100%. Your going through a lot as it is, are you sure it's not just getting clean that's got you a little snappy? These situations can throw our moods off completely and create volatile emotions. I would personally suggest maybe giving your body and mind a little bit more time to recoop before piling in more drugs, specifically amphetamines. Not everybody can take these medications safely. Good luck.
    Sunny mom likes this.

bppb is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by rxqueen83 View Post
    The standard treatment for ADHD seems to be either Adderall or Ritalin. Both of these drugs have a potential for abuse. Your Psych may be hesistant to prescribe them to you if you have a history of addiction. Maybe, not 100%. Your going through a lot as it is, are you sure it's not just getting clean that's got you a little snappy? These situations can throw our moods off completely and create volatile emotions. I would personally suggest maybe giving your body and mind a little bit more time to recoop before piling in more drugs, specifically amphetamines. Not everybody can take these medications safely. Good luck.
    I greatly appreciate your reply. I dont think its from trying to get clean that is making me snappy and moody. I have been like that my entire life. But I also have abused drugs my entire life since a teenager. So maybe you are right that I should try to get clean and focus on repairing my body and mind then see how my life, attitude and behavior is before I start trying to take another pill to get me throug the day.

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bppb View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows a little something about medication for ADHD for adults. I am an addict in the process of trying to taper off of suboxone. I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child but when I told my parents that I didn't like the way it made me feel at age 12 they took me off of it. I have experienced it my entire life. Not really dealing with it appropriately. I have a short fuse and it affects my daily living. It affects everything I do, my job, my relationships, my life style. I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat or has some experience with this. I would like to say that I am clean and off of all drugs and I dont and wont take anything else, I am not sure if I would consider this medication a drug. If it helps and improves my behavior and attitude then I think it would be in my best interest. I have gone to a psychologist and spoke with her and have another appointment to go back and follow up. Not sure if they will even prescribe me medication but I am looking for advice now just incase that is the road they recommend me to take. Would you think that I should try to control myself and adjust to this lifestyle to get me through the days so that I can be an addict in recovery here hopefully within the next month or so or would this medication be beneficial?

Dear bppb,

I'm not sure if there's a specific drug you're referring to, as you did specify when you said, "I told my parents that I didn't like the way it made me feel at age 12 they took me off of it."

I agree with RXqueen that you need TIME without any drugs in your system to find out how much of the symptoms you're experiencing are related to ADHD - and how much is a mix of drug addiction, suboxone and withdrawal symptoms. It takes TIME to stablize our brain chemistry. If you rush to put some other medication into your body, you'll never know how much of this is really "you."

Besides, emotionally, we have a lot to deal with after getting clean. We've removed the drugs that were our chief coping tool - and now we're left with the full gambit of emotions to deal with, without that crutch. It can seem quite overwhelming at times, until we learn new ways of coping. Don't short-circuit your own progress by introducing such a potent drug too soon.

Additionally, I am much more cautious than most when it come to the use of amphetamines for ADHD with recovering people. There are many ADHD meds that are NOT central nervous system stimulants - and I think it very wise to explore any and all of those before taking something like adderall.

Once we addicted to ONE mood-altering, addictive drug, we can not take ANY mood-altering, addictive drug in safety. Just because it's a "medication" vs a "drug" - it doesn't matter to our disease of addiction. IF you ultimately decide to use one of the amphetamine drugs, you would be very wise to have someone else you trust hold onto the bottle and dispense them to you. We simply can not be sure how we will react when we take in an addictive substance, once we have already tripped the trigger of addiction.

God bless,
    Ruth

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

bppb is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARTIST658 View Post

Dear bppb,

I'm not sure if there's a specific drug you're referring to, as you did specify when you said, "I told my parents that I didn't like the way it made me feel at age 12 they took me off of it."

I agree with RXqueen that you need TIME without any drugs in your system to find out how much of the symptoms you're experiencing are related to ADHD - and how much is a mix of drug addiction, suboxone and withdrawal symptoms. It takes TIME to stablize our brain chemistry. If you rush to put some other medication into your body, you'll never know how much of this is really "you."

Besides, emotionally, we have a lot to deal with after getting clean. We've removed the drugs that were our chief coping tool - and now we're left with the full gambit of emotions to deal with, without that crutch. It can seem quite overwhelming at times, until we learn new ways of coping. Don't short-circuit your own progress by introducing such a potent drug too soon.

Additionally, I am much more cautious than most when it come to the use of amphetamines for ADHD with recovering people. There are many ADHD meds that are NOT central nervous system stimulants - and I think it very wise to explore any and all of those before taking something like adderall.

Once we addicted to ONE mood-altering, addictive drug, we can not take ANY mood-altering, addictive drug in safety. Just because it's a "medication" vs a "drug" - it doesn't matter to our disease of addiction. IF you ultimately decide to use one of the amphetamine drugs, you would be very wise to have someone else you trust hold onto the bottle and dispense them to you. We simply can not be sure how we will react when we take in an addictive substance, once we have already tripped the trigger of addiction.

God bless,
    Ruth
    Thank you very much! That makes me see things in a whole different point of view. It does help to talk and find out more information through this forum. I do need to focus on getting better and being a success story

fretboard is offline New Member

I think you should ask for some meds for your ADHD. With all the medications on the market you are sure to find something that helps you with your issues and makes your life a whole lot better. Taking a drug that makes your life better is not the same as being an addict and taking a drug to get loaded on. I think you know this is true but you're a bit uncertain. That's perfectly normal. You gotta ask yourself a couple of questions before you go any further though. Have you ever been addicted to any stimulant type drugs like speed? Did you break the law to get speed like drugs. By breaking the law I don't mean only criminal, did you break any of your family values? You know, lie to parents steal from them, sell your girlfriend or anything like that. My point is there are alot of Ritalin, Amphetamine and Amphetamine salt type drugs for ADHD patients. If you ever were addicted to speed or crank or whatever you want to call it, then don't get that type of drug. You gotta be totally honest with yourself about this otherwise you will go down the drain, and you know that's true. Adderall is an amphetamine salt type drug that has plenty of drug addict followers. With that said, it is a very effective drug. There is another drug that's quite nasty as well and it's a blue tablet and it's ingredients are Amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. I say it's nasty because it gives horrendous headaches. Maybe it won't give you any headaches at all. The bottom line is there are at least 10 very popular ADHD drugs that are highly abused. It doesn't mean you're gonna abuse them and you may find one that works. I say, take the drugs but only do it if you can be totally honest about why you're taking them and remain honest with yourself. Don't count on a doctor to police you because if you were any kind of addict then you know all too well that doctors can be fooled. good luck!!

bppb is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by fretboard View Post
    I think you should ask for some meds for your ADHD. With all the medications on the market you are sure to find something that helps you with your issues and makes your life a whole lot better. Taking a drug that makes your life better is not the same as being an addict and taking a drug to get loaded on. I think you know this is true but you're a bit uncertain. That's perfectly normal. You gotta ask yourself a couple of questions before you go any further though. Have you ever been addicted to any stimulant type drugs like speed? Did you break the law to get speed like drugs. By breaking the law I don't mean only criminal, did you break any of your family values? You know, lie to parents steal from them, sell your girlfriend or anything like that. My point is there are alot of Ritalin, Amphetamine and Amphetamine salt type drugs for ADHD patients. If you ever were addicted to speed or crank or whatever you want to call it, then don't get that type of drug. You gotta be totally honest with yourself about this otherwise you will go down the drain, and you know that's true. Adderall is an amphetamine salt type drug that has plenty of drug addict followers. With that said, it is a very effective drug. There is another drug that's quite nasty as well and it's a blue tablet and it's ingredients are Amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. I say it's nasty because it gives horrendous headaches. Maybe it won't give you any headaches at all. The bottom line is there are at least 10 very popular ADHD drugs that are highly abused. It doesn't mean you're gonna abuse them and you may find one that works. I say, take the drugs but only do it if you can be totally honest about why you're taking them and remain honest with yourself. Don't count on a doctor to police you because if you were any kind of addict then you know all too well that doctors can be fooled. good luck!!
    Thank you for your post. I have taking speed like drugs but I hate it. I would do a line or coke or something and right after I would hate the way it made me feel. I rarely did anything that gave me speed. It made me feel horrible. Ritalin as a kid made me feel werid, although it was the only time I actually did my best with focus, and school and such. As an adult a took some Adderall and it calmed me down and I found a lot of times I didn't need to take as much suboxone on days I took Adderall. I liked the way that made me feel throughout the day, normal. I tried taking Strattera last summer for about a week and it make me feel really really off, very sick to my stomach and dizzy. I guess I didn't give it a chance to work its course, and I was on suboxone(not sure if that would affect anything). I am not saying i need a pill to help me get through life. I just feel like my ADHD has taken over my life. It affects me daily living, my entire life with work and my relationship. I dont know what I need, but I'd like to be able to control this issue in my life once I am clean off of suboxone completely. I want to feel normal, I dont want to have a short fuse and freak out on my girlfriend every day when she is nothing but patient and a sweetheart. Words that I dont even mean to say come flying out of my mouth before I even have a chance to think. My brain is driving me insane, and I blame my girlfriend alot of the time not helping my situation either because I feel like she is constantly asking me questions, and nagging and checking up on me. She tells me that is not what she intended she just wants to be involved and in the loop because she cares. But I just have it stuck in my head that I suck and I will never be good enough. And it's always something with her. She is always thinking too much and wants to talk about it. I see things my way and my way only. It's not right and its not fair to her. I want to become a better person because I do want to prove to her this is all worth it.

Sunny mom is offline Member

Bppb, I would really take Ruth's advice to heart...no offense to fretboard, but you are struggling with addiction, and the last thing you need to do right now is take another addictive drug...get clean first before even thinking of taking ADHD meds. It sounds to me as though you're trying to think of something that can give you some kind of advantage through the process of getting clean...heck, who could blame you for that, right?! But the reality is, there's no real "easy" way through-it's hard work, but so worth it! I know from reading your posts that you WANT to put in the hard work, just hang tight and allow your body to get clean before introducing another substance in.

bppb is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny mom View Post
    Bppb, I would really take Ruth's advice to heart...no offense to fretboard, but you are struggling with addiction, and the last thing you need to do right now is take another addictive drug...get clean first before even thinking of taking ADHD meds. It sounds to me as though you're trying to think of something that can give you some kind of advantage through the process of getting clean...heck, who could blame you for that, right?! But the reality is, there's no real "easy" way through-it's hard work, but so worth it! I know from reading your posts that you WANT to put in the hard work, just hang tight and allow your body to get clean before introducing another substance in.
    I did take it to heart. I am going to go get clean and give my body and mind some time to rebuild and adjust to a normal life. Hopefully my attitude and behaviorals are more manageable where I wont need to seek ADHD medication
    Sunny mom and toni.s. like this.

6145jodic is offline New Member

I don't know much about adult ADHD but I have 2 children with it. one is 8 the other is 16. My 8 years old is more severe and is controlled by meds but my 16 year old told me he hated his meds at about 11 or 12. We have always tried to control as much as we can with diet and exercise. High protein diets are very helpful, watch the sugars and carbs and for some weird reason red food color is something that always wound them up. Preservatives and artificial sweeteners are avoided as much as possible too. Seems to really make a difference at our house, just thought I'd share.
    Best wishes,
    jodic