My experience with suboxone tapering ( not too tough )
    finallyhappy5 is offline New Member

Smile My experience with suboxone tapering ( not too tough )

Hey everyone, I have been a long time reader here. I am a recovering >>>>>> addict and have been on suboxone since October 2007. About 3 months ago, I realized that although the suboxone was a great tool to get me into the sober lifestyle, it made me numb.

Before I start I want to say that the overall process of getting off of suboxone was by no means easy but in comparison with other's experiences and >>>>>> w/d I will say I am a very forunate individual. For reference I a am 23year old 130lbs.

Now I don't know if this theory has any medical support but I felt like I always had the same mood. My reason for believing this is since suboxone blocks the effects of other drugs, I felt that it blocked the normal dopamine that my brain was making from normal everyday activities. For example, I have always been an avid bicyclist. Before I went on suboxone, I would always feel great after a workout, it would even help with >>>>>> w/ds. While I was on suboxone, workouts, birthdays, and just plain normal happy occasions seemed to not phase me at all! I began to feel like no matter what I was stuck in this not depressed, yet not happy mood permanently. This prompted me to research suboxone more and it seems my theory may have some credibilty because from what I have read, your brain does not distinguish between drug dopamine or normal dopamine or whatever it is sorry for the non-medical terms. But my point is I felt normal things in life that made me happy did not anymore and this all prompted me to decide that I DO NOT want to be on sub my whole life. It's too expensive and ( not to say there is anything wrong with being on it for ever just for me ) I felt like although I was " clean " I was'nt sober. I am a big fan of AA and NA and after talking with my sponsor I came to the decision I would not be content until I lived a COMPLETELY drug-free life. I then began my taper.

I began on sub back in october inducted at 2 mgs and made my way up to 16mg's a day. Back about 5 month's ago I began my taper. My schedule is as follows: By the way, for those of you who are wondering my reason for taking so long on the taper at the HIGHER doses is ( this may seem backwards ) is because I wanted the larger amounts of the suboxone to get out of my fat cells and such.

16mg to 8mg jump: did this for 1.5 months- no w/d what so ever
    8mg to 4mg jump: did this for 1.5 months- also no w/d at all
    4mg to 2mg jump: did this for 1 month- nothing felt either
    ( the taper had been cake up until this point)
    2mg to 1mg jump: did this for 5 days- w/d felt but no very severe: sore legs were the worst part, difficulty sleeping, and restless legs none of these were " hell " as others describe, just annoying and difficult.
    1mg to .5mg jump: did this for another 5 days- w/d's same as before a little bit more intense but nowhere near as bad as I thought after reading others' experiences. P.S. starting at this point I made sure I rode my bike at least a few miles each day because I read a lot of people saying excercise eases the w/d's which did help a lot and I think made them go away faster.
    .5mg to .25mg ( did a quarter of a 2mg pill once every other day): same intensity as last jump. Held this for 5 more days.
    No more sub- W/ds were same intensity as previous two jumps and lasted a total of 1 week!

Now I know I may have made this sound easier than it was but I am just trying to put it in perspective with >>>>>> w/d. It was hard, I will not lie, but I had no nausia, diarehha, or anything other than lack of energy, and sore, restless legs, and difficulty sleeping.

I feel I am very lucky because I have read many reports of peoples sub withdrawl lasting well over a week and I have been on mine for almost 2 years.

I honestly think that the reason the w/d was easy as it was was because I let the 16 and 8 and 4 mg tapers last a long time so the bigger amounts of bupe could get out of my system before going down to the smaller amount tapers.

Fyi: For the last 3 tapers I would begin to feel fine again at the 5th day. The 3rd and 4th days were the hardest and I always wanted to stay at my dose a little longer, but I made a point of it to just keep pushing through the tapers so I did not get hung up.

I just want to thank everyone for their experiences and info which helped me formulate my own plan which worked for me. By the way, this may not be possible for some, but cannabis ( just a small amount ) was very effective at allowing me to sleep throughout the harder parts of the w/d.

finallyhappy5 is offline New Member

hey, just wondering, is .25mg considered a high dose to jump off at or do most people stop higher or lower?

Robert_325 is offline Retired

.25mg is an okay dose to stop at some go a little lower. Only most people that have been successful here skip days after jumping off ... dose and skip one day, dose and skip two days, the same and three days, then four days. When you have four days free of symptoms we stop. That usually works. It's whatever works for each person but most need a little more help at .25mg. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Vic_7182 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by finallyhappy5 View Post
    hey, just wondering, is .25mg considered a high dose to jump off at or do most people stop higher or lower?
    .25 is about the right dose to jump off at. If you want more info on tapering and doing it quicker and having the same results as the op, look on the forums for a guy named robert_325 . He is a computer base of knowledge on suboxone tapering and he will even set up a taper plan specifically for you. Good luck! Vic