Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jthomp2u
muscle pain and withdrawal
    Brauchtworst is offline Senior Member

Question muscle pain and withdrawal

Sorry, but I don't know how to be found again unless I do a new thread!

This is day 11 of withdrawal from hydrocodone 40mg. It was almost a pleasant day, but then about 3 pm, the severe muscle pain began again in my arms and shoulders (injury area from 8 months ago). It just seems ridiculous and I am having to dope up with so much ibuprophen and Tylenol every day. It is getting to be less and less as the days go by, but I suppose the withdrawal is continuing even though I feel pretty normal now (other than being soaked this morning). It's like my shoulders hurt all the way to the bone worse than the original injury! Just wondered if others have lingering bone/joint/muscle pain that pops up after a little normal life again? I know I am growing impatient, but sometimes I fear it will never go away! Sorry that I am impatient and asking again. I just start to feel human and then out of the blue, the misery pops up again! UGH! It seems to get worse later in the day.

Thanks

Anonymous Guest

Hi Brauchtworst--
    So sorry you are still dealing with all this pain... I would have thought by day 11 the horrible muscle and bone pain would be over.

I don't have any good advice- I am still trying to get past that sort of pain myself from wd from the methadone the doctor put me on. (It's going on four weeks now, but I understand that methadone takes longer (I read 30 to 120 days!)

I am starting to think I can't do it....

Last night I woke up after about an hour with BAD pain in my old injury area... what the heck?

Do the ibuprofen and tylenol help you at all?
    God bless...
    Shualatin

Shualatin,
    So sorry you have pain and such a long haul for recovery from withdrawal. The more I hear about methadone and suboxone, the more scary it sounds. It sounds like it just prolongs the ordeal for people. I wonder what the value is in the drugs? I am sort of new to opiates and the issues with them, I what do I know? The six week taper from 40mg of hydro was excruciating. I can see why people do cold turkey.

Can you get a clonidine patch at least for some of the withdrawal misery? For me, it did not help with the muscle pains at all, but it totally took away the sweats, jitter, restless legs, anxiety, etc. I am doing ibuprophen and Tylenol both. They do help. Today is day 12. It is much better than it was on day two, but it is so slow to go away! It's possible that it will take me longer because I developed hyperalgesia from the hydrocodone. Before my taper, the pain was excruciating. I felt like I was on fire. I guess I need to be thankful that it is not like it was, but of course we all want to return to life as it once was. Maybe when you get through the worst of this, you will not even have any pain anymore. It seems like the withdrawal process stirs up a hornet's nest in the injury area and no where else. It fools us into thinking we need the drugs I suppose, or, the pain receptors in those areas gobbled up the opiates more than the other areas, so when we withdraw the opiates, those areas scream at us. I don't know.

I have been told it takes anywhere from two weeks to a month for the endorphins to help with the withdrawal pain. One pharmacist said I would feel like a new person in a month. A month seems like a long time after a six week taper from hell and another two weeks of misery after the taper! I guess, as the Lord said, "take one day at a time." But we want it now and we want to know that it will be well soon! Withdrawal is not for sissies. When the doctors casually mention a taper, they have NO IDEA what it means for the person doing it. It is cruel. Cold turkey is cruel. For the pain relief we get from these drugs, the end result is not hardly worth it!

Why did they put you on methadone? I am very stupid about this stuff? I have come to figure that it helps withdrawal off opiates? I suppose they don't tell you about the withdrawal off the methadone? I talked to a drug counselor who told me that a lot of the doctors prescribe suboxone, but it is a nightmare to taper off of, too, and it takes a long time. I suppose methadone is the same. So sorry you have to deal with it so long.

I am not sure if the Clonidine patch would help you, but if so, it would be worth it if you're having anxiety, sweats, chills, and other miseries besides muscle pain. Hang in there. My heart goes out to people who have opiate dependency and addiction (sometimes under doctor's orders or abusing). All people suffer in the aftermath of opiates. It's downright mean! And, like my doctor, they do not warn us. My doctor warned me I could become dependent. But to me, that meant nothing. I had no idea of tapers, withdrawals, etc. What a rude surprise.

Anonymous Guest

Hi BW..
    For a person that has taken hydrocodone for 15+ years, I am apparently pretty stupid about this stuff too! I had taken hydrocodone for so long that I felt it wasn't controlling my back pain as well anymore, so my doctor put me on Methadone. I didn't know any better than to take it...!

I was on 20 mgs. methadone for about a year - never liked taking it... for a powerful drug, it didn't do much for my pain, for some reason... So I told dr. and he said "taper off it" and put me back on hydrocodone. No info about how to taper at all. So I tapered it 5 mgs every few days and after about three days of being off it altogether, the horrible leg cramps started! I have since learned that the M. needs to be tapered much more slowly than that.

You'd think the 40 mgs of hydrocodone I am back on would help with these leg cramps, but NO..! Hydrocodone has become like a tic-tac to me after all this time.

So I here I am nearly a month later, legs are horrible, still waiting for the cramps to subside, but I don't know if they WILL subside, being that I didn't taper the M. properly....
    Like I said, very stupid about opiates..... and I don't think my doctor is much more clued up than I am about it. He and I never discussed dependence--

I am going to try taking tylenol and ibuprofen, and see if it helps at all.... and I will consider asking about that Clonidine patch, thanks for that suggestion.

Gosh, this sucks, doesn't it?
    Shu

Anonymous Guest

Hi Braut , sorry to hear you are having pain . But in my case the pain is the worse right after stopping the pills. But it seems to get better after a couple weeks . Not pain free but improved. For me it takes 30 to 40 days and I am NORMAL . Normal in every way , mentally and physically. So that is when I evaluate how I really feel without pills. In the past my pain ended up being less than it was before and while I was using. So hang in there and I am hopeful for you that the pain will subside. But in the end we all have some pain issues , that's usually how we got introduced to pain pills to begin with.

Shualatin,
    Isn't it amazing how these doctors can prescribe stuff and not tell us the dangers or how to taper, etc.? My sister-in-law and I have often discussed the idea that doctors could go ahead and do the diagnosis (that's even questionable these days) and PHARMACISTS should be the ones prescribing the pills. At least the pharmacists know the drugs, side-effects and warnings!

With me, it would have been nice to have been told about dependency! He warned me that I might become dependent, but that meant nothing to me. I figured I would start craving the drugs, but never did! I learned the hard way and still never understood what happened. One day in May, (five months into taking hydros) I actually had a low-pain day! So I only took two of my four hydros. I had no idea why I was in screaming crying pain the next day! I went to the ER two days in a row right after that because of the pain. Unbeknownst to me, I was in WITHDRAWAL!!! I did not figure that out until I began my dreadful taper from hell for six weeks. My doctor left on vacation and had someone from his office inform me that when he got back he was going to taper me off. I certainly did not want to wait for him to return. My fear was that he would do the taper in two weeks or something and I would be sick as a dog. So I did the taper on my own and tapered as fast as I could without getting sick (but it was close). I went from 40mg to 15 before he got back. He had me spend three weeks on the last 15 mgs, which I found to be torture. The last part of the taper was the worst. When I began this journey, I did ask him what would happen if I became dependent, and he said we would just taper me off. It was as if it was not a big deal! Talk about a life altering and brutal trial. No fun. Impossible to live a normal life through the taper. Then after jumping off, it still sucked. I believe every single doctor who prescribes the opiates should give their patient a detailed form that explains dependency, tapering and the effects of doing so, as well as the aftermath and how long it takes to feel human again. At least a person would have a clue what they are in for.

Is it possible that you have hyperalgesia, too? I have talked to a lot of pharmacists and have learned that it is far more common than doctors or their patients know. I had never heard of it until a friend mentioned that the opiates can actually cause more pain than the previous injury after you take them awhile. They screw up the pain receptors and the perception of pain, making the patient actually feel pain from things that are not normally painful. Light touch causesd me pain as well as cold air on my body (in the injury area particularly). I felt like I was on fire. The hydros did NOTHING for my pain. 40mg per day did nothing anymore, but was actually igniting my pain sensors and nervous system.

AS long as you have gone so far in your taper, hold on to your ground and don't lose it. I wonder if you just level out on the dose you're on for a little while and then drop again in smaller amounts? It's hard to know what to say about the hydros. You hate to withdraw from two things at the same time! What a mess, but it is not for forever. I think I read that the withdrawal lasts about six weeks from methadone. I am not sure how many weeks you're into it, but Clonidine is a godsend. I did the first three weeks without it and I was anxious like a cat on a hot tin roof. I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin with restless legs, sweating, etc. The day I applied the patch, I relaxed and became calm and normal like my old self. Even the diarrhea stopped! But the muscle issues still were unchanged. Seems like a lot of tightness and pain. I am sure the clonidine would help you with everything else. I remember the rapid heartbeat before clonidine and afterward, none of that. It's wonderful for withdrawal. I just wish there was a fix for the muscle/bone pain we get.

Sometimes you can call the drug rehab places and get some helpful hints. I did that and most were very nice to explain things, even though I had no intention of spending money with them!! They seem to know more than the doctors or pharmacists!

Best wishes for you. It isn't for forever. It's easy for me to say to you, and yet it seems like forever in my situation! It's a long haul no matter what when you withdraw off this nasty stuff.

Hi Flatsman,
    I am just so impatient. Day 12. I want to feel good again! I am much better than the first week, but still ache in the afternoons. At least I start the day well and go till 3:30 and then the muscle tightness starts again. The pharmacy person told me that in a month, I won't believe it or remember how miserable I am now. A month seems so far away, and there is the fear that this is the REAL pain from my injury, but after 8 months of healing time and doing nothing because the drugs messed me up so bad, I certainly should be healed up. But twelve days isn't that long and I was on the drugs for six months and on tramadol two months before that! I know I just need to be more patient and take one day at a time. There are so many things I miss doing. With both shoulders messed up, even flossing my teeth was an ordeal a few months ago. I have felt like an invalid with both arms so messed up and then spasmed biceps, too. A chiropractor gave me exercises to do with a band that was half the correct length. After doing his exercises, my arms spasmed. I began taking the hydro and the spasms never went away! When I began the taper, my arm spasms began to subside! The drug was actually causing inflammation in my body. Now, I have no knots or spasms left, but my arms are very weak yet. It sucks because I was used to walking my two 80lb dogs every day. My muscles are GONE, sore and weak yet, but no spasms.

Currently, it is the pain in the upper center of my back and the shoulders that drive me nuts. I hope it will subside eventually. At least it is NOTHING like the pain I had at the start of the taper and the second day I was off the drug. I'll have to be patient and hope for the best.

It's great to hear that day 40 is really good. A friend who also tapered off hydro told me that she ached for at least a few weeks and it took about a month to be somewhat painfree. Ugh. No way to hurry it I guess.

Anonymous Guest

Hey Braut , I don't know your medical history well enough to comment too much. I don't know what your anxiety level is at this time . But if you are having some anxiety then that can cause stiffness and muscle pain too. Im not saying that's it but maybe its a contributor to another existing condition you have. If that is the case then when the anxiety subsides and it will the pain should subside at least some. Its really hard Im sure . Your day 12 into no drugs and that is a big deal . It sucks that real pain adds to the phantom pain that might be there too. I have been told that when using opiates in large quantities or for long periods of time . That pain can seem intensified when we first get clean and we have to wait for our brains to start making everything we need to cope with pain. but of course it all depends on how you feel after a bit more time. Its hard but you know how rough life is on these pills .

Anonymous Guest

[QUOTE=Brauchtworst;405757]Shualatin,
    I believe every single doctor who prescribes the opiates should give their patient a detailed form that explains dependency, tapering and the effects of doing so, as well as the aftermath and how long it takes to feel human again. At least a person would have a clue what they are in for.

Oh, I agree totally... I was told nothing, and was just happy my pain was controlled. For a while! Not now, for sure...

Btw, I have been off the Methadone completely for almost 4 weeks. Still bad wd... I am still on the hydrocodone at 40 mgs. Was planning to get off of it soon, but I am starting to wonder if I can...
    Shu

Hi Flatsman,
    Not too anxious due to clonidine, but worry about long term pain and that this pain will not end. But then again, it is only day 12 and I was on the hydro for six months. Along with the hydro, I did use up a prescription of oxy, too. I didn't think it worked as well, but spaced me out! Nonetheless, I used it! I'll bet most of this is phantom pain yet, since it was the exact type of pain I had when I would drop my dose, only the pain at that time was triple! Each drop brought the same pain as what I have now, only worse. When you think about it, one of the reasons we all stayed on the stuff so long was because when we tried to cut back, our injury pain increased seven fold! We all thought our injuries were not healed, but it was WITHDRAWAL!!! Had no idea. So, I am hoping this is the last holdout for me. At least it isn't bad in the mornings and early afternoons, but late afternoons are when it gets bad. It's a few muscles that were strained in the injury and my shoulders, so of course they are the ones that flare up. I suppose my body is still crying for the opiates and the endorphins have not come fast enough. Time will tell I guess. I wonder if anyone among all of the readers out here know if it is common to have withdrawal pain in the injury areas? I know legs are common for cramping, too. Thanks for your comments. I was using a topical ointment (prescription) to help with the nerve and muscle pain of withdrawal. It was a custom compounded cream my doctor ordered. After ten days, I broke into a rash that itches!!! I started to feel like Job in the Bible. Pretty soon I will have to cover myself with ashes and my husband will say, "curse God and die" like Job's wife!!!!

Hi Shualatin,
    I was pretty much the same. I was happy as a clam to take hydro because of the pain. I would have taken cat feces had it helped the pain!! But at least I would have known the outcome of that!!! I had no concept of tapering and withdrawals! NONE. And by the time you figure it out, you're in it to your eyeballs with no way out other than the hard way----cold turkey or a taper. Both are horrid.

If you've done four weeks, wow!!! It sounds like it can be six weeks or so, so you're possibly over half of it! If I were you, I think I would ride it out, use the hydro for a little while and then after things calm down, drop the hydro dose REALLY slow. When I tapered, I didn't just half pills, I whittled them and shaved them at times. You could just trim a rounded corner off one pill per week or something. Tiny! By the time you get done with the Methadone withdrawal, you will not want to do anything extreme with the hydro for awhile. It's a sick feeling to be so stuck, knowing that the way out is painful and long. I tried to do the hydro as fast as I could tolerate other than cold turkey because I figured out it was causing me more pain and I wanted out of that nerve type of pain. But if you do not have such a thing as me, hyperalgesia, there is no reason to rush if it causes you worse pain. Kill one beast at a time and try to get a little rest in between. I suppose you could trim the rounded end off of one hydro a week and hardly notice it with what you're experiencing! I trimmed the rounded corner, and then the next rounded corner and stayed there a few days. For you, go really slow. You're suffering enough! I do believe the clonidine patch would help a lot with some of the misery. A good muscle relaxer, too. I have Baclofen and a tiny bit of Flexeril (not used together). I didn't want to use Baclofen a lot because you need to taper off that stuff, too (but nothing like opiates). Flexeril---just a quarter of a pill knocks me out! The Clonidine helps you sleep, too. I have not had one sleepless night since being on it. The patches are more consistent than the pills and will keep you even keeled. You change them once a week. With insurance, they cost me $5 for a month!! I have two months worth. Not sure how it will be getting off of that, but the pain doctor said she would give me Clonidine pills if I have anxiety after getting off the patch. The Clonidine is an alpha blocker and I believe it blocks adrenal hormones and adrenalin from making us feel nuts as we are off the opiates. I am very mellow and calm, unlike the first part of my taper without it. No sweats, either. I only wish it helped the muscle aches more.

Hang in there you have done very well from what I understand about methadone. When you get done with this, you will be able to comfort others who are in the same situation. I feel like I need a lot of encouragement as I have been going through this, too. It's new to me and scary to feel so bad at times. It's great to hear from others who have lived through it and are on the other side. Unfortunately, I suppose most of them move on and forget about the forum. Who knows? Maybe I will too? But I have a very deep sympathy for drug users and abusers. Withdrawal is very hard.

Anonymous Guest

Hi BW...
    Just wondering how you are doing today? How many days is it now? Is it getting any better for you?
    Shualatin

Hi Shualatin,
    Today is day 16. Somewhat better. Still achy in the afternoon and evening. Tried Topamax and it does seem to help the aches a bit, but there are some side effects to worry about a bit. It's far better than day 2. Day one for me was not bad, but day 2 was horrific. There was a pattern in the withdrawal process. Every third day was exceptionally nasty. It would take two days to sort of adjust to the new misery of the day before. Now, at day 16, it is getting easier, but I still have aches. According to some of the rehab clinics, it can take 21 days to a month for the natural endorphins to fill the receptors. ugh. Just feel a little raw yet.

I hope things are getting somewhat better. I know the tapering process is rough. My doctor admitted that he had not tapered many people before. They really have no concept of the misery unless they are pain doctors, I guess, but even then, unless they have done it themselves, they have no idea. Then, after the taper, the misery begins anew! But at least that is the beginning of the end of it and the real start at a new life. It's a matter of riding out the storm and waiting for the body to make endorphins again. Seems like a long time to me. I don't want to ever ever ever do this again. I hope you can find a comfort zone in your process and then find a way off. For me, the hardest time is reminding myself that this discomfort is temporary. I am almost convinced on a daily basis that there is something really wrong with me and I have to constantly remind myself that I have no endorphins to cover those receptors. The pain moves around and is so strange---as one rehab place called it phantom. It really is. I have no idea of my real pain---if any. Have to wait I guess. Thanks for caring. Hang in there.

Anonymous Guest

Hey BW... "Somewhat better" sounds pretty good to me! I am still having the leg cramps at full blast... I am having a few scary thoughts, like "maybe pain patches aren't so bad..." It's been a month off the Methadone - still taking the hydrocodone, but I don't think it's doing anything at all. And I still have it to deal with soon...

The doctor gave me Clonopine, and advised me to only take it at night.. (?) I'm getting a little more sleep at least.

I don't think I have hyperalgesia - light touch doesn't bother me. But I know what you mean about phantom pain - Arms, elbows, KNEES (they are horrible...) whatever joint I am using begins to hurt. I am a sculptor, and have been trying to work, but .. can't hold out to focus on it for long.

It is good to hear from you--- update when you can...
    Shu

Hi Shualatin,
    So sorry about your leg cramps. What a nightmare. I don't know how you deal with it. I am sort of miserable because I did not take any Topamax last night. The nerve pain really flared again just because of the Topamax not being in the system again. The half life of that drug is 21 hours believe it or not. I saw the post about your wife. I really was hesitant to take it in the first place because it can do the psychiatric stuff to people, as well as kidney stones, vision problems etc. I had only taken three halves, but sadly, it did help somewhat with the nervy pain that is left. A friend told me to keep a diary so I could see progress. I had not been real good about it, so I was able to go back and cut and paste my posts. I guess I am recovering somewhat, but still, as you are, weary of pain and misery. I had no idea that this awaited me at the end of the road. You did not either.

At least maybe the hydros are keeping you from withdrawal on that, which would be a double whammy, but I guess a short double whammy. At least the withdrawals are not so long on that, but for me, the aftermath is long on hydros. I guess because I don't have any endorphins and they say it takes a month or so AFTER you're off everything. What a nightmare we are living! But there is only one answer and one direction we must face, and that is OFF the stuff so we CAN finally have normal lives again in the future.

I am also an artist---an illustrator. I do mainly stock illustration. I used to work in an ad agency, but at my age of 54, found it to be just ridiculous. They like to get young na?ve people in those places so they can use them up real cheap and fast and then spit them out. Old people like me have been around the block enough to know the routine and we don't deal with it or won't deal with it!!! Best to be married to someone who makes money on a consistent basis so I can do my artist stuff. I am not much of an aggressive sales person for myself. I like low-key. But through this ordeal, I have done little to no art. Both arms and shoulders were messed up. I am very happy to be able to sit here and type again for long periods of time. A few months ago, I barely did email. What a mess.

What kind of sculpture do you do? I have done a little wood carving and soft sculpture in the past, but mainly, I like doing illustration via the computer, now! No more messy paints, etc.!!!

So sorry you have the aches. It's so hard to not become overwhelmed. It's probably from the methadone withdrawal. The body is probably screaming at you. Where's my drugs???? The leg cramps are a dead give away for the withdrawal, so you know that's what's going on. Doesn't make it much easier to endure.

What happened with the Topamax and your wife? Today, I am half tempted to take another half because I am so miserable, and yet, the drug scares me. I certainly do not want to take it very long. It does help with the nerve misery, but at what price will I have to pay in the long run? Sort of bothered my stomach and made my eye hurt. I saw there are a lot of psychological issues with it. Don't we have enough with withdrawal already? Ugh.

I see you're from Arkansas. I am from Washington State.

Just wondered again if Clonidine might help you? With that drug, I had no sleep issues and anxiety was non-existent. I am still on it for another three weeks. Not sure how it will be to get off that, but hopefully the anxiety and nervous issues will be gone from the withdrawal period by then. But it has made me very mellow. It fixed all the withdrawal issues except the muscles (which unfortunately for you and I, are the big ones). Any muscle relaxers? I did some Baclofen, but it has it's own issues long term. Flexeril knocked me out cold. All these drugs are tiresome, too. Hang in there.

Anonymous Guest

Hi BW,
    I am a female, so... no wife :-) I responded to a man asking about his wife and Topamax. I have experience with it because for about 30 years of my life I suffered from migraines, and anti-seizure meds like Topamax are prescribed for migraines all the time....

Topamax has lots of side-effects, and I had most of them, so I didn't take it for long. Hair loss, weight loss, mind fog ( on the migraine forum, it's known as "Dopamax" ) ... the mind fog was the worst. If it helps your nerve pain, that's great... For some people, it is really helpful with the migraines.

I did take another anti-seizure drug called "Neurontin" (gapabentin) and tolerated it much better. Maybe I should try to take some now - God knows I need something to work for me.

I haven't tried muscle relaxers because I was afraid they would come with their own withdrawals--

Do you take Clonidine at night only, or during the day?
    Shu

Hi Shualatin,
    I misunderstood the email at first. I suppose I got wound up about seeing Topamax! I am scared of taking it. I only took 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet and got some good relief, but I saw the kidney stone problem, the vision loss problem, and other issues and decided to forego it. It has been rough today because I think it was like rebound pain from stopping Topamax. I was thinking of trying Neurontin. I think it may have fewer issues and I should not need it a long time. It is a drug they highly recommend for the withdrawal pain since it is a nervy type of pain due to the receptors being part of the nervous system. Maybe it would help you sleep, too! There are some non-addictive muscle relaxers like Methocarbomal. I took it a lot and it is not habit forming. The best muscle relaxer, of course, seems to be Valium! Wouldn't it figure? I have three left. During this ordeal (the injury and the withdrawal) I sporadically treated myself to a half from time to time. It was nice for the muscles, but I know habit forming and dangerous to use often. I just used a half on a bad day from time to time. It's a shame that all the things that work are habit forming. I am not sure about Flexeril, but it is so potent that I usually can take 1/4 of a pill and be knocked out for the night. Again, I don't do that often because I think it is habit forming too. If you look at this website, Drugs.com, you can look up Clonidine and the patients have rated it for withdrawal. It scored a lot of tens. It would probably give you the sleep you need and stop some of your misery. They have patches and pills. It's a blood pressure medication that works by relaxing the adrenal system. It was an enormous relief to me. The Clonidine patch is what I am using. You change it once a WEEK!!! You have consistent mellow, lower blood pressure of course, no sweats, no anxiety, no rapid heartbeat with withdrawals, and sleep comes easy. I never missed a night of sleep. There are also pills, but sometimes there are breakthrough periods where the withdrawals can be felt (at least that's what I have heard). When I go off of the patch, I will use the pills for a few days and then get back on my lisinopril gradually discontinuing the clonidine. Hopefully that goes easily. I have three more weeks of Clonidine, so I should be over most of the withdrawal by then.

Do the Neurontin for sure since it is recommended for this hell we are in! My pharmacist again recommended it to me this morning instead of Dopamax! Get some sort of muscle relaxers---Methocarbomal is safe but prescribed---you could ask your doctor for a non-addictive one. I tried one called Norflex, it was time-released and had an element of pain relief to it, but it gave me blurry vision and a headache. Come to find out it is addictive, too. So many are. But a few are not. And Clonidine is the best.

Would you recommend going back on the Topamax if you were me? It should only be for a few weeks, I think. It seems to have issues, for sure, and I don't need any more. I did get an acid stomach from it, and pain behind one eye. Sort of scary.

The first day on Clonidine, I felt a little light headed because my blood pressure was low, but after that, it worked great for the miseries and was worth it. You can get a dry mouth, too, but a lot of that has gone away. It's not for forever, but just the withdrawal.

Hang in there. It's so sad that they put you on methadone and now you have to deal with that. What is wrong with these doctors!!? During the height of my injury pain, and the hyperalgesia, I begged my doctor for a stronger drug than hydrocodone, but he didn't do it. I am thankful he did not. Maybe he knows more than I think he knows. Wish I had not had to go down this long road. So much time has been wasted because of the misery of this drug.

Thanks for talking!

Anonymous Guest

Hi BW--
    The only issues I remember having with Neurontin were that it made me a little light-headed, but only at first, and it caused weight gain like crazy! I gained 25 lbs really quickly. The pharmacist told me it changes your metabolism. When I quit taking it, I lost the weight fairly easily...

If I had to choose between Neurontin and Topamax, I would definitely choose Neurontin. It would be worth a little weight gain to get something to help with these leg pains.

I already take Atenolol for my blood pressure, and the dr. was a little hesitant to give me the clonidine, but he did end up giving me a small dose (0.1 mg) to take at bedtime... I am going to take one tonight -- if I can get a night's sleep, it would be helpful. I should ask him if I should stop the Atenolol for a while...

I understand not wanting to take anything else that's habit forming--
    Hang in there, BW - it's so helpful to hear from someone who understands...
    Shu

Hi Shu,
    I had to cut my lisinopril down somewhat from 15mg to 5mg because my blood pressure dropped. Felt a little light headed the first morning, but then adjusted. I check my blood pressure from time to time yet. I decided to take a half of a 25mg Topamax anyway. It did buy me some less pain and if I only need it for a week or two yet, it should not be so bad. I looked and most side effects really start at 50mgs. I will just take the bare bones. Hopefullly, in a week or two, this muscle pain will be much less. Compared to day two of the withdrawal, I could do cartwheels, but compared to normal life, I feel 80 years old. I hope the clonidine helps you. I am not sure if Atenolol works on the adrenal system too? I think it is a betablocker. Good info on Neurontin! I took it for two days and felt sort of depressed and then when I quit taking it, I felt like I was on fire. I realize now that I had super hyperalgesia while on the drugs. Neurontin must have calmed the nerves a little and then when I went off, I had a real flare! It was a very bad night I remember well. What a mess.

Stay in touch---you're not alone for sure.

john steven is offline New Member

Continuous workout will relieve the pain.It takes 2 or 3 weeks to come out of the pain.Otherwise consult the doctor is the best choice.

Hi John Steven,
    Thanks for your concern. This is an older thread, but it's mine! Thanks for caring. It has actually taken me over five months to feel human since I got hyperalgesia from the opiates. I still have achy days, but not so often or severe. Time is the key and that is no fun when you are hurting! Thanks for writing.

jthomp2u is offline New Member

Lightbulb Severe muscle cramping from Percocet withdrawal

Quote Originally Posted by Brauchtworst View Post
    Sorry, but I don't know how to be found again unless I do a new thread!

This is day 11 of withdrawal from hydrocodone 40mg. It was almost a pleasant day, but then about 3 pm, the severe muscle pain began again in my arms and shoulders (injury area from 8 months ago). It just seems ridiculous and I am having to dope up with so much ibuprophen and Tylenol every day. It is getting to be less and less as the days go by, but I suppose the withdrawal is continuing even though I feel pretty normal now (other than being soaked this morning). It's like my shoulders hurt all the way to the bone worse than the original injury! Just wondered if others have lingering bone/joint/muscle pain that pops up after a little normal life again? I know I am growing impatient, but sometimes I fear it will never go away! Sorry that I am impatient and asking again. I just start to feel human and then out of the blue, the misery pops up again! UGH! It seems to get worse later in the day.

Thanks
    Sorry to hear of your reaction. I had one similar and was happy to see it was not just me.
    This is about day 13 off a mere 1/4 of a 5/325 daily dosage of Percocet's. My muscle cramps in my legs and shoulders are disabling. The pain is ridiculous and I can barely roll over in bed. I can barely walk and I too, am wondering if the pain will ease. I felt good last Friday and did some activity, and bam, Saturday I felt like a truck hit me. Today is Tuesday and I am in pretty bad shape. I had the trots today like never before. This is horrible and I can not believe these drugs are prescribed for use by a human! I swear, those of us who have endured this withdrawal hell should be compensated as no one ever told me about using such nasty drugs with nasty side effects. I do not understand why this is legal. We should post a class action law suit against the makers to compensate us for the lack of knowledge prior to using this drug. I have been using herbs/remedies such as ginger tea w/cinnamon and I mix Turmeric Root and raw honey and take this 3 times a day (good for inflammation and healing NATURALLY! I is apparent we can not trust drug companies to put our comfort and safety ahead of profit!!! I am boud and determined to get off this nasty medication for good and to create awareness of the ugliness these drugs bring to our lives! Go natural and take your health in your own hands.
    Last edited by jthomp2u; 11-11-2014 at 11:35 AM.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

JT: You should see your doctor. You should not be having symptoms this late in the game from that low of a dose of Percocet. Is your pain from an original injury? Take care.

Peace,

Iloerose

jthomp2u is offline New Member

iloerose:

Thanks for your concern. I'm thinking it has not been a simple withdrawal for me as it would seem. I've been taking some kind of narcotic since 1997, when I had a double fusion done to my back as it was broken in two places. Prior to stopping, I could not take more than a quarter perc or my hands would pain me something terrible. That was my clue to stop taking percs. I think that over the years, my liver and other organs in my body have become so infused with narcotics that they are probably going to take some time to detox it all. I am quite determined to do this. I have not gone back to my doc as she prescribe Cymbalta and some other nasty anti-inflammatory drug. I will not take any more prescription drugs unless my life depends on it. I think they are all nasty in their own way. I'm going natural (aside from the odd ibuprofen). I am going back to my Doc in 2 weeks and will see how all goes. Maybe some blood work is in order to see if all is well that way. My main source of pain is muscle spasms from hell and bone pain in the shoulders. I go to our local Y every day and soak in the hot tub for 30 minutes; then do a sauna to sweat and detox. I"m continuing my ginger/cinnamon tea, turmeric root with honey, do some GENTLE stretching, and rest and sleep as much as possible. I actually work with drug addicts and this has now given me a new perspective on their pain. God has a way of teaching us valuable lessons and I am feeling blessed He has allowed me to have the strength to endure this pain and overcome! When I see what some of the people on here have gone through, I feel sad as we probably never would have started these drugs if we knew the devil had this in store for us. I think this drug is no worse than some nasty stuff that is bought from a street level dealer. What a shame, it is legal! Take care all and stay strong.
    iloerose likes this.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

JT: The thing is that many were put on for legitimate reasons: surgery and other medical problems. Many people do not realize that they are addicts or would have ever though they ever could be, until they wind up on opiates. There is a good reason for these medications, they take the stressors off of the nervous system so the body can heal. The best thing to do when you're in a situation to receive any medication is to do some research first. I am so sorry that you have suffered this problem, it is not common, but people need to know. I am glad that you can read through this sight and get a perspective concerning addiction that will help you in your work with addicts.

You take care as well and I hope you are healing.

Peace,

Iloerose